PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the closest SPL in many years?

Wakeyhibee
24-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Just been looking at the fixtures for all concerned and there is a chance the league situatiuon ie around 6 points separating the top 4 could continue up to Christmas. There is also ample opportunity for others to join in with only 8 points separating the next 3-4 places.

Dundee Utd seem to have a tough few games coming up however if the take a couple of points off the old firm it could still be wide open come New Year. Usually the OF are long gone by October with the rest chasing 3/4th.

Not getting carried away and fully expect the OF to pull away after New Year if not before, just the closest I can remember with more than one team outside the OF in the mix.

hibiedude
25-10-2009, 05:58 AM
I will be close for 3rd spot forget 1st and 2nd because any team that's near the old firm come January tranfer window time will lose there best players in the tranfer Market. That's the price teams pay for playing well.

.SeventyFive
25-10-2009, 07:39 AM
I will be close for 3rd spot forget 1st and 2nd because any team that's near the old firm come January tranfer window time will lose there best players in the tranfer Market. That's the price teams pay for playing well.

I think it would be more than foolish to offload players in the Transfer Window if there was a genuine chance of challenging for something better than 3rd place. Especially as it has already stated that the OF are essentially unable to strengthen their squads in January.

Russian Hibs Fan
25-10-2009, 07:51 AM
I really hope that this time has come and this season will be very close! lets stop this joke situation when only two clubs (that also are the shame of Scotland in Europe!) are easily winning the SPL.

Come on the Hibees!!!!! The time has come! :flag:

hibbytam
25-10-2009, 09:38 AM

Rangers especially do not have the money for that. Celtic maybe do. WE especially have no real urgent need to sell, and anyone else would be insane to sell any player if they're only a handful of points off top/second in January.

As always though, the 'lower' teams won't throw it away against the old firm, but a lack of consistency against the lower placed teams.

NAE NOOKIE
25-10-2009, 09:50 AM
The big problem with any challenge to the OF is that its not enough for one team to put together a good run. You need other teams in the league to take points off them as well.

St Johnstone fully deserved at least a point against the current buns the other week but got nothing.

The fact that Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, the yams and Hibs fail to regularly beat the OF when the visit us at home is a big factor.

If our, or any other club's, challenge is going to get anywhere we need help from those around us.

AFKA5814_Hibs
25-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Injuries and suspensions will have a big bearing on how teams like Hibs, Dundee United and Motherwell compete over the course of the season.

The Huns had their best two players out yesterday, but were still able to bring in good replacements. Hibs are fortunate at the moment we have no injuries, but players will get injured and losing any of our top players for a few games will really affect us.

Also we will be without Bamba for the whole month of January for the African Nations Cup, if Morocco qualify as well we would be without Zemmama, Benji and Bamba for a month.

hibiedude
25-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Listen all players have there price and if we are still near the top of the league come Xmas then our players must be doing something right which will bring attention from other clubs. Let's say for argument Celtic come in for Ro1rdan or stokes and offer 1 million do you think Hibs would turn that down. ?

All I'm saying if our players are doing well that brings unwanted attention.

steakbake
25-10-2009, 10:21 AM
It is far, far too early to tell. Even our success here at the start of the season, we need to keep it going. The league seems to split into the front runners, the rest of the pack and the relegation dog fight normally in January.

I think the December/January fixtures are the most important to get through and maintain consistency.

Expecting Rain
25-10-2009, 10:25 AM
It may appear to be a bit greedy but Hibs should be loking to strengthen their squad in january, this is the best time for a half decent gamble.

Hibs7
25-10-2009, 10:35 AM
It may appear to be a bit greedy but Hibs should be loking to strengthen their squad in january, this is the best time for a half decent gamble.

I think you will find that is Yogi' intention regarding the defence. :wink:

TrinityHibs
25-10-2009, 10:37 AM

If Rod says there is cash yes because its not a gamble. If not then I can live with that particularly when you see the financial mess some of the other clubs are in just now. If there is cash I would prefer to put our existing players on longer, better contracts and that includes the new guys if they are up for it. New signings are almost always risky but to be fair to Yogi he has added to the talent pool when the likes of the Huns and Hertz are actually going the other way.

Oh sod it lets buy some players and see what happens:thumbsup:

Hibercelona
25-10-2009, 10:38 AM
3rd is the best we can hope for this season.

There is no way we will keep up the consistency to disrupt the OF.

And people on here who claim we can split the OF this season... are beginning to sound like yams IMO.

Expecting Rain
25-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I think you will find that is Yogi' intention regarding the defence. :wink:

Yogi seems like a guy who won`t wait around waiting for a player to put in decent performances and i think you`ll be right, he`ll be looking for one centre-back at least.:wink:

Expecting Rain
25-10-2009, 10:42 AM
If Rod says there is cash yes because its not a gamble. If not then I can live with that particularly when you see the financial mess some of the other clubs are in just now. If there is cash I would prefer to put our existing players on longer, better contracts and that includes the new guys if they are up for it. New signings are almost always risky but to be fair to Yogi he has added to the talent pool when the likes of the Huns and Hertz are actually going the other way.

Oh sod it lets buy some players and see what happens:thumbsup:

Even at this moment in time i`d trust Yogi with money should it be available.

euro Hibby
25-10-2009, 10:44 AM
key signs might be getting past November and still being top 3 !

A signing or 2 might be needed January. We will lose big Sol for International action and the middle of defence without him will suffer. He was immense second half yesterday.

I think Rangers let us play yesterday. I want to see us improve or be consistent when we play against lower teams who will be more physical and testing for the type of team we have.

bod
25-10-2009, 10:51 AM
no, there will still be a huge gap

Hibee_Rab
25-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Listen all players have there price and if we are still near the top of the league come Xmas then our players must be doing something right which will bring attention from other clubs. Let's say for argument Celtic come in for Ro1rdan or stokes and offer 1 million do you think Hibs would turn that down. ?

Yes we would, 1 million for Deeks or Stokes would be a terrible offer, remember we sold fletcher for 3 million (to a club we don't compete with)

sleeping giant
25-10-2009, 11:00 AM

And people on here who claim we can split the OF this season... are beginning to sound like yams IMO.

Pardon:confused:

Sounding like a Yam because i'm feeling confident !!

P1ss off !!!!

Wakeyhibee
25-10-2009, 11:40 AM

:agree: However there was no mention in the OP of doing this, just pointing out that the league is the closest it has been for years and I include "the year of the Yams". We're coming into November and let's not just look at things at ER Dundee Utd are just as well placed with other teams not too far off.

No doubt before long the gap will appear it's just nice to ram it down there throats for as long as possible after all the 'lack of competition" jibes. Long may it continue.

Russian Hibs Fan
26-10-2009, 11:50 AM

i dissagree. We are currently sitting just behind the OF and we are playng some good football, why cant we dream in October? Why not?

WE ARE HIBERNIAN FC! I dont believe we will be the 1st or 2nd but I HOPE we will!!! Feel the difference!

.SeventyFive
26-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Pardon:confused:

Sounding like a Yam because i'm feeling confident !!

P1ss off !!!!

Agreed! Showing optimism means that we are deluded Hearts fans? Nah.
If you aim for 3rd, that is the best you can hope to achieve.

Dashing Bob S
26-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Agree that there will be a huge gap. But it'll be between Hibs and the rest.

ScottB
26-10-2009, 01:07 PM
If come January Rangers are still without a buyer I can't see anything other than players leaving. If we are still there or there abouts it will be worth a punt. Securing second place is an opportunity we would be insane to pass up as it's a once in a generation moment when one of the OF are so weak.

Neither have the resources to buy our players, and we can easily hold on to them till the summer.

vahibbie
26-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Us, and a few others need to beat the OF at home. They haven't lost a game yet to another team (don't believe it's been the case at this stage for a few years).
They will not be winners by 20-30 points this year.....and if it's still close by New Year, who knows.
Wait till the Scottish Cup starts, then we can really start dreaming:duck::devil:

hibsbollah
26-10-2009, 01:40 PM

I dont think thats the case anymore, certainly not for Hibs.

Ritchie
26-10-2009, 01:48 PM

EH!!!!????!!???

£1million?????

there is no way we'd accept that for deeks or stokes!!

Hibercelona
26-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Let's say for argument Celtic come in for Ro1rdan or stokes and offer 1 million do you think Hibs would turn that down. ?

Nope.

I "know" for a fact that they would turn that down.

rightwinger
26-10-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't think it will be close at all.

The OF are both garbage but they're still winning regularly enough. Most teams in the SPL (everybody bar us probably) have got about 10% worse this season and its only because the OF have got about 20% worse that the gap has closed a bit. Other teams need to win more and you have to get better to win more.

What people forget is that Hibs traditionally start the season strongly. Under Miller we'd regularly be right up there in October, November before falling back to finish mid-table (1988, 89, 91, 93, 94, 95). Even Duffy had us top of the league after 5 games. We started well under Collins in 07 and we're only 3 points better off this season that at the same stage last season under Mixu.

No matter the quality, its always a long hard season in the SPL. Third place and a good cup run can be our only priorities. Under McLeish, we practically had 3rd place guaranteed by Christmas but it will be a very tall order to pick up 50 points by the new year. Competition was tougher then, but we also had a much stronger, more seasoned side. We finished third under Mowbray by ensuring that we rarely went 2 games without winning. That IMO is the way for us this season and it'll give us a great chance of getting third. We need to beat Aberdeen on Saturday.

The start to the season in both results and performances has been really positive though. Credit to the board for the financial prudence of recent years. With clubs tightening their belts at the start of the season we were able to go out and sign Stokes and Miller. Fee and contracts there probably value not far off £1m.

I'm still not completely convinced defensively with only Murray seeming totally reliable. We're definitely onto something going forward though.

Elephant Stone
26-10-2009, 02:23 PM

The OF are both garbage but they're still winning regularly enough. Most teams in the SPL (everybody bar us probably) have got about 10% worse this season and its only because the OF have got about 20% worse that the gap has closed a bit. Other teams need to win more and you have to get better to win more.

What people forget is that Hibs traditionally start the season strongly. Under Miller we'd regularly be right up there in October, November before falling back to finish mid-table (1988, 89, 91, 93, 94, 95). Even Duffy had us top of the league after 5 games. We started well under Collins in 07 and we're only 3 points better off this season that at the same stage last season under Mixu.

No matter the quality, its always a long hard season in the SPL. Third place and a good cup run can be our only priorities. Under McLeish, we practically had 3rd place guaranteed by Christmas but it will be a very tall order to pick up 50 points by the new year. Competition was tougher then, but we also had a much stronger, more seasoned side. We finished third under Mowbray by ensuring that we rarely went 2 games without winning. That IMO is the way for us this season and it'll give us a great chance of getting third. We need to beat Aberdeen on Saturday.

The start to the season in both results and performances has been really positive though. Credit to the board for the financial prudence of recent years. With clubs tightening their belts at the start of the season we were able to go out and sign Stokes and Miller. Fee and contracts there probably value not far off £1m.

I'm still not completely convinced defensively with only Murray seeming totally reliable. We're definitely onto something going forward though.

You not impressed with Sol? I can't see how he could possibly improve at the moment, he has been absolutely fantastic.

Killiehibbie
26-10-2009, 02:26 PM
You not impressed with Sol? I can't see how he could possibly improve at the moment, he has been absolutely fantastic.
There's a few scary moments still in him.

hibsbollah
26-10-2009, 02:27 PM

I disagree with you about us having a stronger side that season. With the exception of Sauzee and Latapy's positions we are stronger everywhere on the pitch now.

rightwinger
26-10-2009, 02:37 PM
I disagree with you about us having a stronger side that season. With the exception of Sauzee and Latapy's positions we are stronger everywhere on the pitch now.

Every player in that team bar Matthias Jack (and maybe Laursen) was capped at full international level. With the form they showed that season, Colgan, Smith, O'Neil, Lovell, and Laursen would certainly not weaken the same areas of the team now. Smith for Hogg, O'Neil for McBride, Lovell and Laursen down either flank. No offence to the current team of course. As I pointed out, the team of 2000-01 faced tougher and better opposition than they would now.

If we had the McLeish team now we could quite conceivably win the league. That's how good that team was (lacking only in depth) and how poor the OF are now.

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
26-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Injuries and suspensions will have a big bearing on how teams like Hibs, Dundee United and Motherwell compete over the course of the season.

The Huns had their best two players out yesterday, but were still able to bring in good replacements. Hibs are fortunate at the moment we have no injuries, but players will get injured and losing any of our top players for a few games will really affect us.

Also we will be without Bamba for the whole month of January for the African Nations Cup, if Morocco qualify as well we would be without Zemmama, Benji and Bamba for a month.

...but if we adequately cover their collective absence it will be like 3 new signings when they come back - enabling a wee push from us at the business end of the season :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
26-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Every player in that team bar Matthias Jack (and maybe Laursen) was capped at full international level. With the form they showed that season, Colgan, Smith, O'Neil, Lovell, and Laursen would certainly not weaken the same areas of the team now. Smith for Hogg, O'Neil for McBride, Lovell and Laursen down either flank. No offence to the current team of course. As I pointed out, the team of 2000-01 faced tougher and better opposition than they would now.

If we had the McLeish team now we could quite conceivably win the league. That's how good that team was (lacking only in depth) and how poor the OF are now.

Getting capped isnt necessarily equate to being great. And with hindsight as well as Russell and Sauzee id also give you Laursen, but looking again at the 6-2 team I wouldnt want any of the others over the quality we have at the moment.