PDA

View Full Version : Benji, and "The Hibs Family "

cad
24-10-2009, 11:36 PM
How times have changed, there was a point when I just wanted Hibs to get shot of him, but under Yogi I think we have a new Benji ,better than before, a happier player getting on with his life after his troubles.

Scotland On Sunday talked to Benji

THE FACTS suggest that Abdessalam Benjelloun struggled throughout his loan period in Belgium. What they don't offer any hint to is why. "It's because I haven't told many people," he says. "But the first five months was a difficult time for me. The worst time."

That was at Charleroi. He left Hibs when he discovered that his football philosophies did not match those of manager Mixu Paatelainen. Seeking out regular football, instead he found himself in a new country with a whole batch of new troubles to contend with.

"The first five months were really, really bad. I had things happening that were difficult for me. First I had my divorce and then the second thing was my dad died so I think all the problems that maybe some people have to deal with over many years, I had all together in five months. Nobody really knows it but for those five months I had so many troubles in my head, I couldn't think about football, couldn't do anything, I just kept thinking about my dad and my problems and it was hard because I was not with my family in Morocco and I was not with my 'family' at Hibs."

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/An-answer-to-Benji39s-prayers.5764107.jp

Minder
24-10-2009, 11:56 PM
An eye opening article - here's hoping Yogi continues to help Benji harness his insecurities and that that he bangs a few more in....shortly.... say in two weeks time.

GGTH

roondheid
24-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks, that was a great read. :top marks

Hainan Hibs
25-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Great article, can't imagine what Benji went through emotionally, and it's fantastic how things are working out now with him at Hibs.

Judas Iscariot
25-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Glad to have Benji back here playing football..

Time and time again Yogi comes across as a superb man manager, this is important in s team like Hibs..

Keep up the good work Benji and Yogi :thumbsup:

Dr What If?
25-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Back when Collins left I posted an article about his dad dying, I had gone through something similar at the time and given how much that tore me appart I was in awe at how much he had kept himself together.
At Benji's age, still very young, he will need a lot of support from Yogi to keep his head together - even a year on it can still dominate every waking thought. The way he speaks of Yogi says a lot of our manager not just as a manager but as a person. I wish I had a boss like him at the time.

Perspective
25-10-2009, 09:14 AM
A great read and confirms the version of events I'd heard at the time.

Sometimes supporters don't take these off-field issues into account but I always thought Benji's case was simple. Here's a warm, engaging young guy who lives for his football but operates best with an arm around the shoulder. Understandably given his personal problems (combined with his age and being so far away from home) his football and attitude was going to suffer.

Glad to have him back doing what he does best - a natural attacking talent playing with a smile on his face. A new contract for him should be a top priority for us.

GodisaHibee
25-10-2009, 09:35 AM
A great read and has certainly given me a much needed kick up the backside.

I was one of those that thought Benjis troubles were all his own making with the signing debacle, however, that article has given me much food for reflection.

I never really slated Benji, but I didn't see how his heart could be in it coming back.

Sterling performances aside, that article has put aside any misgivings I had.

Come on Benji!

NYHibby
25-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Best line:

"I liked Mixu as a gentleman but ..."

hibsdaft
25-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Best line:

"I liked Mixu as a gentleman but ..."

yup i think we can all relate to that one.

Andy74
25-10-2009, 05:32 PM
There's a lot of people here needing to take a look at themselves with this one! Hibs family my erse!

Phil MaGlass
25-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Every family has its differences,I dont think its about taking a look at themselves its more of appreciating what was going on in the players lives,if the fans dont know the whole story then you cant really blame them for being a bit outspoken.I was also one who didnt want Benji back in a Hbs top but its great to see him playing well and contributing more than ever.

Sudds_1
26-10-2009, 08:32 AM
I posted some time back about Benji's emotional and mental state (my son in law knows him very well).....at the time I said I thought it would be good for the lad to move on - not least given his relationship with the (then) manager and the fact that many fans had turned against him, some giving him real abuse. The misinformation from the press didn't help his cause either. Given what he was going through that was despicable.

I hold my hand up and admit that I couldn't see a way back for the lad.......but life is strange and the change in management (i.e we have a man manager in place now ) sems to have helped him.

Will he stay the course at Hibs? Who knows, but at the moment I'm enjoying watching a talent on the field who seems to have his appetite back for the game.............That HAS to be good for Hibs, .....and in the end analysis that's all I care about.

Mind you, I have allowed myself a wee smile at the short memories of some (not necessarily on here) who lmbasted the boy and now appear either silent or taken the famous u turn. :wink:

rainman
26-10-2009, 08:42 AM
I posted some time back about Benji's emotional and mental state (my son in law knows him very well).....at the time I said I thought it would be good for the lad to move on - not least given his relationship with the (then) manager and the fact that many fans had turned against him, some giving him real abuse. The misinformation from the press didn't help his cause either. Given what he was going through that was despicable.

I hold my hand up and admit that I couldn't see a way back for the lad.......but life is strange and the change in management (i.e we have a man manager in place now ) sems to have helped him.

Will he stay the course at Hibs? Who knows, but at the moment I'm enjoying watching a talent on the field who seems to have his appetite back for the game.............That HAS to be good for Hibs, .....and in the end analysis that's all I care about.

Mind you, I have allowed myself a wee smile at the short memories of some (not necessarily on here) who lmbasted the boy and now appear either silent or taken the famous u turn. :wink:

I didn't want him back at the club.

I thought his attitude stunk and he was seriously out of shape.

I wouldn't say I lambasted him but on the surface it seemed he just didn't give a toss anymore and as a paying customer (at that time) I had a right to voice my displeasure at it.

I'm delighted he's proved us wrong and is looking lean and hungry with a better attitude than he had even when he was playing well.