PDA

View Full Version : Stadium scoreboard clock

Ants
24-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Why does the clock stop on the 90 minute mark ???

I would prefer the clock to keep on running and give us an indication as the the time played.

KEEP IT TICKING ALONG.

campaign started, unless the powers that be (44 miles west) disagree.

cocopops1875
24-10-2009, 08:54 PM

I would prefer the clock to keep on running and give us an indication as the the time played.

KEEP IT TICKING ALONG.

sure i heard that its coz the added time is a rough amount of time and can change during the overtime and having the clock up at that stage puts the official under pressure :hnet:

jgl07
24-10-2009, 08:59 PM
sure i heard that its coz the added time is a rough amount of time and can change during the overtime and having the clock up at that stage puts the official under pressure :hnet:
Except at Man United when the home team or not winning.

Here the clock reverts to half speed.

cocopops1875
24-10-2009, 09:18 PM

:greengrin

ArabHibee
24-10-2009, 09:38 PM

I believe this is the timepiece they use at Manchester United games:

Peevemor
25-10-2009, 01:32 AM

KEEP IT TICKING ALONG.

It's probably because anything after 90 minutes in league games doesn't officially exist, eg. a goal scored 3 minutes into injury time is logged as 90th minute.

chipmunk hibby
25-10-2009, 06:16 PM

KEEP IT TICKING ALONG.

i think they sould too.when ever im at footie matches and thers added time i never know when the match is going to finnish

sleeping giant
25-10-2009, 06:32 PM
i think they sould too.when ever im at footie matches and thers added time i never know when the match is going to finnish

You always want to leave before the end anyway ya bam:greengrin

HibeePaj
25-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Dont really think it matters that much tbh,,
ift it such a hassle, take a watch??? :wink:

MacBean
25-10-2009, 10:10 PM
i like that it stops at 90 - adds to the ecstasy/agony that at the end of a game, keeps you on the edge of your seat and adds to the entertainment value of the game

Twa Cairpets
25-10-2009, 10:30 PM
It's probably because anything after 90 minutes in league games doesn't officially exist, eg. a goal scored 3 minutes into injury time is logged as 90th minute.

You're right. a football match lasts ninety minutes - in reality there isnt a 93rd minute or the like.

When you referee and stop the watch for some reason, thats exactly what you do: Stop the watch.

If a guy gets treatment for two minutes, and the ref "adds the time on", when the game restarts his watch will be two minutes behind the stadium clock. How does he know how much time to indicate has been "added on" at the end? The second watch the ref has runs permanently, so when that clicks onto 45mins, the difference between that watch and the "game time" watch is how much is shown on the board.

Green Man
26-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I mind watching Scotland v Bosnia at Ibrox, when we had to win to get into the playoffs (and ended up playing England). I was thinking the clock was going awfy slow as it seemed to have been stuck on 90 for ages - then I realised it doesn't go any further :doh:

TornadoHibby
26-10-2009, 03:13 PM

KEEP IT TICKING ALONG.

I bought a cheap casio watch with a timer on it so that I can see how long is still remaining of the "minimum added on time"! :wink:

However, would be good if the stadium scoreboard did it! :agree: :cool2:

JoJo_07
26-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Champions League rules, yes I checked this in detail (heh! it was a slow day) say that the clock cannot go beyond the 45 or 90 minutes (half/full-time). Suspect similar rules for domestic leagues.