PDA

View Full Version : Memories of Ally McLeod

weecounty hibby
24-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Following on from the Ralph Callaghan thread, can anyone give updates and any memories on one of my all time Hibs heroes and a guy who should get more recognition for the way he played for us.

Ta

Bobo
24-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Following on from the Ralph Callaghan thread, can anyone give updates and any memories on one of my all time Hibs heroes and a guy who should get more recognition for the way he played for us.

Ta

He was a lazy bugger and wouldn't move more than a couple of feet to get onto a pass but when on the ball he was a sublime talent.

I remember him nonchalantly scoring, a twice-taken, free kick. Can't remember who it was against, but he made it look so easy.

I also remember the european tie against Strasbourg when he picked himself up after, being floored in the box, to slot home the winning goal from the penalty spot.

We were booted all over the park by the french that night!! Unfortunately, we went out 2-1 on aggregate.

Hibhibhooray
24-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Think I was about seven or eight and thought he was magic.....could n't believe it when he went to Dundee Utd but don't think he ever got a game, did he not break his leg in a training ground accident.

http://images.scran.ac.uk/RB/images/thumb/0905/09052710.jpg (http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-543-710-C&scache=30pkk5t0fo&searchdb=scran)

Rougier45
24-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Freekick taken twice was it Morton ? at cappilow (spelt wrong i Know)

Ally was magic ---

Bobo
24-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Freekick taken twice was it Morton ? at cappilow (spelt wrong i Know)

Ally was magic ---

No it was definitely at Easter Road.

Something in my head is saying Partick in the Scottish Cup but my memory's not what it used to be :confused:

Killiehibbie
24-10-2009, 12:21 PM
I think he scored 4 goals against the huns at ibrox one afternoon. Just a shame he was playing for St. Mirren.
Good player but seemed to lack interest at times.

Leithenhibby
24-10-2009, 12:37 PM

Something in my head is saying Partick in the Scottish Cup but my memory's not what it used to be :confused:

Memory is a funny thing, as mine says Dundee a ER....

Also recall Jackie Mac (dad) telling a story about A Mc saying the George Best couldn't lace his boots..:faf:

Peevemor
24-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Definitely.

Malthibby
24-10-2009, 12:58 PM
He was one of my many early heroes, but as is being implied, he preferred the ball 'to feet' as it didn't involve running, or indeed moving.
The George Best quote from J. Mac may have been slightly generous, but you do wonder what Ally could have produced had anyone ever convinced him that running was an important part of the game.
GG

euro Hibby
24-10-2009, 01:00 PM
really slow but great talent....

Hibercelona
24-10-2009, 01:01 PM

I thought it was against Rangers. :confused:

I heard he scored a cracking freekick in 1 corner.... then the erse of a ref pulled it back for being taken too early...

So he steps up again and places it perfectly into the other corner.

EVENTUALLY
24-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Also recall Jackie Mac (dad) telling a story about A Mc saying the George Best couldn't lace his boots..:faf:

Was defo Dundee. Highlights were on BBC Sprortscene and AMcL was described by Archie McPherson as a genius. Eddie Turnbull also referred to him as a genius.

Hibercelona
24-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Was defo Dundee. Highlights were on BBC Sprortscene and AMcL was described by Archie McPherson as a genius. Eddie Turnbull also referred to him as a genius.

I stand corrected then. :greengrin

Wull
24-10-2009, 01:08 PM
:top marksAlways likley to turn a game around, superb talent when he was in the mood. :thumbsup:

weecounty hibby
24-10-2009, 01:08 PM
There are many goals to choose from as he scored 99 for a Hibs team that was struggling badly most seasons but my biggest memory was of him missing a penalty against Celtic at the bottom of the slope when we were 1-0 up. My uncle who took me every week stood up and shuted and swore at him, caled him a ****in arse. It was the only time in probably 15years of going to games with my uncle that I saw him get worked up.

Bobo
24-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks for that .... don't know where I got Partick from?

We did play them in the Scottish when McLeod was at ER but it was a 0-0 draw. We also beat them 3-1 in the league that same season (1978-79) but I don't know if he scored in the game?

Hard to believe that it was 31 years ago! :shocked:

Leithenhibby
24-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for that .... don't know where I got Partick from?

We did play them in the Scottish when McLeod was at ER but it was a 0-0 draw. We also beat them 3-1 in the league that same season (1978-79) but I don't know if he scored in the game?

Hard to believe that it was 31 years ago! :shocked:

Perhape the George Best game (first for Hibs) just a thought...

ELHibee
24-10-2009, 01:38 PM
One of my heroes when growing up. I worked for him briefly when he was a sales manager. Nice guy too. I remember him telling me the players were ready for lynching Colin Campbell after he missed the chance to beat Rangers late on the Scottish Cup Final (1st game) in 1979.:greengrin The quote about George Best is attributed to him as having it that after Best signed on at ER.

Sprouleflyer
24-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I got a badge for the SC final against Rangers (first game) that had "Ally McLeod strikes faster than British Leyland"

I was a bit young to really remember much about Hibs at that time, but he always stood out and scored some crackers!!!

Ottawa Hibs
24-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Indeed was defo Dundee. Was pretty much my first game, and cup finals aside, still one of my all time favourite moments as a Hibee (together with the Souness 2-1 game, and Keith's goal against the Huns in the semi).

I was in the North stand with my Dad and pretty much had a line of sight as Ally put it in, twice. Ally was my favourite player after that, though Ralphie and Jackie Mac were up there too.:thumbsup:

lEXO
24-10-2009, 06:19 PM
After Stanton he was my favourite player.Overweight, lazy but what a player.The twice taken free kick against Dundee was class.Also remember a freindly against Leicester City when he ripped them to bits.
Remember reading a story that Jackie Mac told,Ally was moaning about not getting any decent passes,and kept going on.Jackie Mac booted the ball at him and hit in the puss.Quick as a flash Ally said "thats the first ba you,ve managed to get near me so far".
Class act.
:thumbsup:

Hiber-nation
24-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I remember in a league cup game v QOS (?) at ER when he scored from the byeline - not by curling the ball over the keeper but by smashing it into the top corner. How he did it I'll never know but that was Ally.

And there was the time big George Stewart nearly killed him on the pitch due to Ally's lack of tracking back skills.

Its a shame we couldn't strengthen the side in the mid 70s when he was at his peak and scoring goals for fun - we of course ended up on the downward spiral in the late 70s, with crowds down to under 4,000.

Genius but lazy bassa.

AK86
24-10-2009, 07:35 PM
he was our matt letissier (sp?)
a very skilful player in a team without much flair
very similar to the andy ritchie from Morton

lucky
24-10-2009, 11:40 PM
He was my favorite player when I growing up too. I still remember the free kick against Dundee, it was down the slope he put the first one in the top left then he put the retake in the top right. Sheer class. But I cant remember him doing much more even though he scored 99 goals for us.

--------
25-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Two memories.

One of a goal against Rangers in a game we won 2-1 in the season we went down. George Best got the ball in midfield and played it forward round the back of the Rangers centre-backs - a lovely curling ball that totally played them out of the game. Ally made the run (well, the leisurely jog) to meet it perfectly and cracked it in under the bar from about 25 yards.

And a horrible, dreich Wednesday night, Rangers at ER again. McCloy was in the Rangers goal; he gathers the ball and punts it downfield. The ball goes straight through to our keeper (can't remember who) who gathers it and punts it straight back upfield again. Ally's watching it all the way. So's Derek Johnstone and Colin Jackson. The ball's dropping like a bomb - straight down, Ally slips the two defenders and meets it perfectly, about 30 yards out, cracks a first-touch screamer off the top of McCloy's cross-bar. And all the time Onion was kneeling down putting his boot back on, inside the Rangers 6-yard box, at least 45 yards offside.

Wakeyhibee
25-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Was at the 1979 final and 2nd replay and remember him scoring a penalty. I was bricking it before it was taken to which my old man said "nae worries this ones goin' in". Seem to remember it going bottom left as I saw it. He also predicted 'Don't panic McArthur'll save it".

Rougier45
25-10-2009, 07:06 AM
would it be fair to say he was similiar to Andy Ritchie who played for Morton at the same time--another fat lazy Genius

Gala Foxes
25-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Free kick against Dundee at Easter Road at seated enclosure end - Ally took it, scored, ref blew as he felt it had been taken too quickly, Ally re-took it and scored again. Think he now sells insurance in Larbert /Falkirk area, had a pub at one time (novel for an ex-footballer) - LEGEND

Spike Mandela
25-10-2009, 11:18 AM

Ta

Fat, lazy, bad hair and an attitude, but enough about weecounty hibby:greengrin

A great player from a time when hair was long, shorts were short and amount you could drink was the mark of a great player! 99 goals, how annoying must that missed penalty have been.

StevieC
25-10-2009, 11:54 AM
My first Tynecastle derby in 1978 saw Ally scoring an injury time equaliser ...

it caused a riot!!

:take that :paranoid: :take that

Sprouleflyer
25-10-2009, 12:44 PM
My first Tynecastle derby in 1978 saw Ally scoring an injury time equaliser ...

it caused a riot!!

:take that :paranoid: :take that

That was my first Derby, missed the goal as my brother wanted to leave before the final whistle :grr:

Phil D. Rolls
25-10-2009, 01:10 PM
He was a lazy bugger and wouldn't move more than a couple of feet to get onto a pass but when on the ball he was a sublime talent.

I remember him nonchalantly scoring, a twice-taken, free kick. Can't remember who it was against, but he made it look so easy.

I also remember the european tie against Strasbourg when he picked himself up after, being floored in the box, to slot home the winning goal from the penalty spot.

We were booted all over the park by the french that night!! Unfortunately, we went out 2-1 on aggregate.

I loved watching Ally, his arrogance was the kind that had you laughing. IIRC the free kick was against Dundee, first time he hit it bottom right. Made to take the kick again it was bottom left.

The penalty against Strasbourg was a hoot, their goalie made the mimimum of contact with the ball in his hands. Ally hit the deck like a stone, and we got the pen.

hibbybrian
26-10-2009, 02:50 AM
I loved watching Ally, his arrogance was the kind that had you laughing.

About 10 years after he left Hibs a mutual friend arranged for I and a few other Hibbies to meet up with Ally in a pub in Falkirk and we spent the whole evening reminiscing about his time at Hibs. Top bloke :top marks and after all the years he was still in the same svelte shape as he was in his prime :greengrin

Worcester Hibby
26-10-2009, 08:10 AM
He scored the first goal I ever saw at ER..A sublime volley from outside the box against Kilmarnock in a 1-1 draw at ER in 1981

It was definitely Dundee by the way

rightwinger
26-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Two memories.

One of a goal against Rangers in a game we won 2-1 in the season we went down. George Best got the ball in midfield and played it forward round the back of the Rangers centre-backs - a lovely curling ball that totally played them out of the game. Ally made the run (well, the leisurely jog) to meet it perfectly and cracked it in under the bar from about 25 yards.

And a horrible, dreich Wednesday night, Rangers at ER again. McCloy was in the Rangers goal; he gathers the ball and punts it downfield. The ball goes straight through to our keeper (can't remember who) who gathers it and punts it straight back upfield again. Ally's watching it all the way. So's Derek Johnstone and Colin Jackson. The ball's dropping like a bomb - straight down, Ally slips the two defenders and meets it perfectly, about 30 yards out, cracks a first-touch screamer off the top of McCloy's cross-bar. And all the time Onion was kneeling down putting his boot back on, inside the Rangers 6-yard box, at least 45 yards offside.

That was a cracking goal. It was actually Tony Higgins that scored it though. Best played the great ball to McLeod who set up the big maestro. Another big maestro, Colin Campbell, got the winner a few minutes later.

StevieC
26-10-2009, 05:12 PM
That was my first Derby, missed the goal as my brother wanted to leave before the final whistle :grr:

You missed the riot then.

I was in the school end and when the goal went in the neanderthals from the Wheatfield corner basically kicked off with anyone and everyone between the corner and the exits. They were on the pitch fighting with police and even trying to get into the main stand to attack supporters.

Quite scary for a 12 year old at the game by himself.

Killiehibbie
26-10-2009, 05:19 PM
I loved watching Ally, his arrogance was the kind that had you laughing. IIRC the free kick was against Dundee, first time he hit it bottom right. Made to take the kick again it was bottom left.

The penalty against Strasbourg was a hoot, their goalie made the mimimum of contact with the ball in his hands. Ally hit the deck like a stone, and we got the pen.

I seem to remember him being punched by an outfield player who did the same thing in the 1st leg but got away with it.

CentreLine
27-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Can anyone remember Ally MacLeod, former Scotland manager, playing for the Hibees?