PDA

View Full Version : To anyone getting carried away about tomorrow.

hibbie02
23-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Great quote from Yogi in the Scotsman today:

"Can I swear at you? We are f****** eight games into the season. That's the answer. We have done nothing yet. "

I am sure most of us are hoping for, rather than expecting a win tomorrow, but it is good to see the Big Man injecting realism into things.

Broken Gnome
23-10-2009, 09:18 AM
"Let's come away from the Old Firm and talk about Hibs."

I don't know how many Hibs managers have ever said that in a press conference, but it should now be compulsory. Now if he gets the chance to say exactly the same on Sportsound when Chick Young's bleating about Rangers after we gub them.... :pray:

hibiedude
23-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I always say if you go to Glasgow thing the worst quess what we'll get pumped, let go thinking that the Huns are there for the taking and let's not kid ourselves because they are my opinion.

Mag7
23-10-2009, 09:27 AM
I always say if you go to Glasgow thing the worst quess what we'll get pumped, let go thinking that the Huns are there for the taking and let's not kid ourselves because they are my opinion.

We have had some great results at Ibrox in recent years, BUT there were also two fairly recent occasions when we went there full of confidence and got badly beaten. The first was in Mowbray's first season when all the talk was of our wonderful football and how Rangers were in our sights. Result? Rangers 3 Hibs 0 (and it could have been more). The second was under Collins when we'd been turning in some terrific displays and had just gubbed Motherwell 6-1 at Fir Park. Result? 3-0 again, with Rangers running riot in the first half hour.

Yes, I do think we must have a decent chance of taking something from tomorrow's game but I don't agree that we should go in thinking Rangers are there for the taking. We're not yet good enough to adopt that way of thinking.

'Mon the Hibs
23-10-2009, 09:37 AM
We have had some great results at Ibrox in recent years, BUT there were also two fairly recent occasions when we went there full of confidence and got badly beaten. The first was in Mowbray's first season when all the talk was of our wonderful football and how Rangers were in our sights. Result? Rangers 3 Hibs 0 (and it could have been more). The second was under Collins when we'd been turning in some terrific displays and had just gubbed Motherwell 6-1 at Fir Park. Result? 3-0 again, with Rangers running riot in the first half hour.

Yes, I do think we must have a decent chance of taking something from tomorrow's game but I don't agree that we should go in thinking Rangers are there for the taking. We're not yet good enough to adopt that way of thinking.

I think you DO have to go into these games believing you can win. If/when we win tomorrow, then that belief will turn into more confidence.

If we lose...... well I don't want to think about that :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-10-2009, 09:38 AM
If we get a doing tomorrow it is far from the end of the world. Flipside, if we win, then all we have won is three points. I just want a performance first and foremost. If we get that, then who knows what can happen but Hughes' team is very much a work-in-progress. Also, if you read the first posting under that article on the Scotsman website, it would appear that it is the Yams that are getting carried away with our league position and not us.

brydekirk
23-10-2009, 09:39 AM
excited and nervous, hope we cant give them a good game and return with at least a point. :thumbsup:

Expecting Rain
23-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Spot on, we go there with a bit of confidence and a potentially potent strike force but we still have our deficiencies at the back, i`d be more than happy with a draw, ecstatic with a win and satisfied should we give a good account of ourselves proving our worth as the third best team in the league should we lose.

Hibs7
23-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Not getting carried away as much as "Kiwidoug in the Scotsman":faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

"And another thing. While it seems a fairly safe bet that Hearts will collect 12 points in the next 4 games and Hibs may not get any, the question really is whether the OF will continue to disintegrate and we will be on top by Xmas.

I wouldn't put money on that but I'm sure you will all agree that it's more than possible.

For the sake of the reputation of Edinburgh football, let's all keep our fingers crossed that it happens.

Must head off to bed now. Busy money-making day ahead tomorrow.

johnrebus
23-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Is is still very early days yet for this team and I will be very happy with a point.

The defense has not yet gelled and we have yet to play consistently for a full ninety minutes. To anyone who thinks we just need to turn up tomorrow to pick up the points, I would remind them of the recent abject performances against Hamilton and St Johnstone.

Would like to see Galbraith get a start tomorrow as I think he could rip the leaden Rangers back four up for arse paper.

Its just a pity that that clown Charlie Richmond is the referee......,

:boo hoo:

McD
23-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Is is still very early days yet for this team and I will be very happy with a point.

The defense has not yet gelled and we have yet to play consistently for a full ninety minutes. To anyone who thinks we just need to turn up tomorrow to pick up the points, I would remind them of the recent abject performances against Hamilton and St Johnstone.

Would like to see Galbraith get a start tomorrow as I think he could rip the leaden Rangers back four up for arse paper.

Its just a pity that that clown Charlie Richmond is the referee......,

:boo hoo:

A 442 with riordan and stokes/benji up front, with zemmama and galbraith out wide would cause problems for the rangers wide players, full backs and centre halfs.

The biggest concern with that is how we handle rothen

stokesmessiah
23-10-2009, 10:16 AM
A 442 with riordan and stokes/benji up front, with zemmama and galbraith out wide would cause problems for the rangers wide players, full backs and centre halfs.

The biggest concern with that is how we handle rothen

Leave him to his own devices....He's Mince !

McD
23-10-2009, 10:21 AM

I am hoping uncle wattie plays him on the right again, just so murray keep boot him over the stand :devil:

jacomo
23-10-2009, 10:45 AM

Rotten.

Dinkydoo
23-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Great quote from Yogi in the Scotsman today:

"Can I swear at you? We are f****** eight games into the season. That's the answer. We have done nothing yet. "

I am sure most of us are hoping for, rather than expecting a win tomorrow, but it is good to see the Big Man injecting realism into things.

I'm all for a bit of realisim and not getting carried away but I don't really understand Yogi's comment...

It was Benji that publically came out and started to speculate what this team could achieve and how 3rd place or even 2nd & 1st aren't impossible.

So MR Hughes, may I suggest that you should be swearing at your player and not a reporter :rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
23-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm all for a bit of realisim and not getting carried away but I don't really understand Yogi's comment...

It was Benji that publically came out and started to speculate what this team could achieve and how 3rd place or even 2nd & 1st aren't impossible.

So MR Hughes, may I suggest that you should be swearing at your player and not a reporter :rolleyes:

Therein the subtlety lies - I think Yogi leaves "subliminal" messages in his quote to the press for the players some subtle others not so subtle. And good on him for swearing at a journo! He doesn't appear to swear in the press much so I see that as a punctuation mark saying - if you remember only one thing remember this...

I may be being naive but I don't think Yogi's as daft as some folks try and make him out to be.

Cropley10
23-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Not getting carried away as much as "Kiwidoug in the Scotsman":faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

"And another thing. While it seems a fairly safe bet that Hearts will collect 12 points in the next 4 games and Hibs may not get any, the question really is whether the OF will continue to disintegrate and we will be on top by Xmas.

I wouldn't put money on that but I'm sure you will all agree that it's more than possible.

For the sake of the reputation of Edinburgh football, let's all keep our fingers crossed that it happens.

Must head off to bed now. Busy money-making day ahead tomorrow.

I read that too! Honestly - I think he's a Hibee on the wind up.

They're playing a team needing their first win, a team that's only been beaten once (I think), their City rivals and a newly promoted team who are a real threat. And they don't have a striker!

hibiedude
23-10-2009, 12:26 PM

We go there as underdogs, bookies give us odds off 17-2. There is no pressure on us to win so we use that to our advantage so going to hunsville confidant is a must in my opinion. We have a few lads that should run the legs off the ageing players at the back and if they don't start well the crowd will give them dogs abuse again to our advantage

matty_f
23-10-2009, 03:48 PM
While I think there's a decent chance of us taking something tomorrow, Rangers should still be massive favourites, and a Rangers win should not be a shock.

I don't see a defeat tomorrow as being particularly significant in Hibs' season - we know Yogi is in the process of rebuilding and getting the team to play as he wants us to, so defeats are to be expected - especially against the big boys.

BEEJ
23-10-2009, 04:53 PM
While I think there's a decent chance of us taking something tomorrow, Rangers should still be massive favourites, and a Rangers win should not be a shock.

I don't see a defeat tomorrow as being particularly significant in Hibs' season - we know Yogi is in the process of rebuilding and getting the team to play as he wants us to, so defeats are to be expected - especially against the big boys.
:agree:

And with Charlie Richmond officiating it's always best to expect the worst. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2009, 05:16 PM
While we have been getting some decent results, and sometimes playing well, we don't normally get results in Glasgow. Yes this hun team is not the best, and they have a few injuries, and we are more confident, sometimes our undoing. But we have to go and compete, we have to have everyone believing they can win, and maybe, just maybe we can get something tomorrow.:pray:

Jim44
23-10-2009, 05:19 PM
There's a limit to the depth that Rangers will fall to. A win for us would put them into crisis mode and unfortunately I think they will always avoid a crisis. My heart is with everybody else but my head says that we will be inevitably beaten.

Aldo
23-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Put it this way...I personally think that there is no better time to play them then now. Yeah they have Boyd and Miller but they have Weir and McCulloch at the back, No pace so we need to get the ball to feet and get in behind them. CMON

GG

matty_f
23-10-2009, 05:36 PM

And with Charlie Richmond officiating it's always best to expect the worst. :greengrin

Steve-O
24-10-2009, 11:01 AM

Aye but yer missing the point that loads o us have money on Hibs so we have to win :greengrin

1875godsgift
24-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Aye but yer missing the point that loads o us have money on Hibs so we have to win :greengrin
Just noticed we're down to 6/1 on ladbrokes :greengrin

Don Giovanni
24-10-2009, 01:19 PM
As much as I hope we stuff the Huns today their 'weakened' team still consists of many multi-million pound internationals.

The starting 11 would be worth in excess of £10M if they could find any buyers!... and wages of those players would dwarf what we could afford.

Despite all the call-offs, IMO they still have their best player available: Davis.

That said it'll be our best opportunity to win at Hun-Brox in a long while. Here's hoping the lads grasp it with both hands.

Glory Glory :flag:

euro Hibby
24-10-2009, 01:34 PM
To win you have to forget you are In Glasagow, forget who you are playing and express yourself. A draw is the least we should do on current form but I always think that psychology plays a huge part in these games and players are often weak in this department. I think the Moroccans don't worry about it as they are from another culture and thats an advantage. Fingers crossed, we will need luck and descent ref.