PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Ibrox watering holes

lyonhibs
23-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Assuming none of us are off our heids and on a death wish, any of the hovels surrounding Ibrox itself - The Stadium Bar being the Uber Hovel that makes Robbos look like the Balmoral, from the outside at least - are immediately out of the question.

So for those of us arriving/already in Glasgow centre/West End for a few pints pre-match, where are you all going? Last time I went to a place more or less opposite Kelvinside tube station. Convenient for jumping on the tube to Ibrox, so I think we're going there again.

The name escapes me, but I'm sure it was just past a place called The Dolphin (?) whose cheeky owner had "Founded in 1967" above the door, a brave thing to be doing in that part of Glasgow!! :greengrin

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Steve20
23-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Usually just go to The Vale outside Queen Street station.

blueisthecolour
23-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Assuming none of us are off our heids and on a death wish, any of the hovels surrounding Ibrox itself - The Stadium Bar being the Uber Hovel that makes Robbos look like the Balmoral, from the outside at least - are immediately out of the question.

So for those of us arriving/already in Glasgow centre/West End for a few pints pre-match, where are you all going? Last time I went to a place more or less opposite Kelvinside tube station. Convenient for jumping on the tube to Ibrox, so I think we're going there again.

The name escapes me, but I'm sure it was just past a place called The Dolphin (?) whose cheeky owner had "Founded in 1967" above the door, a brave thing to be doing in that part of Glasgow!! :greengrin

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thats where we agree, this place is a republican hellhole, when republican marches pass there are out in the street showing support, although some rangers fans still insist on giving them there cash on a sat afternoon. Try partick tarvern mate, you will get a good pub lunch in there and only a couple of stops away on the subway, but don't wear your colours on the subway.

Antifa Hibs
23-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Thats where we agree, this place is a republican hellhole, when republican marches pass there are out in the street showing support, although some rangers fans still insist on giving them there cash on a sat afternoon. Try partick tarvern mate, you will get a good pub lunch in there and only a couple of stops away on the subway, but don't wear your colours on the subway.

Is the albion open again m8? the one round the broamloan end?

blueisthecolour
23-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Im not sure tbh, that area is best avoided tbh, if you want a pub really close to the ground go to govan cross there is plenty of pubs there about 10 mins walk, these are not really football pubs but if pushed they would be celtic pubs (can't believe im telling folk to go to these pubs giving them their cash) It means you are close to the ground and won't feel as if you are drinking with the enemy:faf:

Baldy Foghorn
23-10-2009, 11:10 AM

A republican pub in Govan, novel concept......:confused:

Baldy Foghorn
23-10-2009, 11:11 AM

The Woodville is still closed I believe

blueisthecolour
23-10-2009, 11:14 AM
A republican pub in Govan, novel concept......:confused:

Ibrox is not govan

Baldy Foghorn
23-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Ibrox is not govan

Thanks for the geography update......................

Still a horrible place full of infested bigots.

scoopyboy
23-10-2009, 11:30 AM
We used to go to Fairfield Bowling Club which is on the long straight road at the back of the Broomloan.

10 minute walk.

Full of huns but never got one bit of jip from them.

scoopyboy
23-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Ibrox is not govan

How far apart are they?

lyonhibs
23-10-2009, 11:35 AM
How far apart are they?

More or less the length of Helen Street from the Govan tube station to Ibrox. Used to work in the big ASDA, and that walk can't be more than 1k between the two.

Keith_M
23-10-2009, 11:43 AM
TBH, I think the "dangerous pubs" thing is a bit overdone. I've been in a few within the vicinity of Ibrox pre-match before without any problems.

FWIW, there's usually quite a number of Hibbies drink in the Counting House, in George square, or as said, in the Vale, right outside Queen St Station.

Or if you're feeling REALLY adventurous, there's always Khublai Khan's Mongolian Restaurant (Candleriggs), which may or may not sell Horse Meat. Maybe blueisthecolour can confirm whether or not this is the case.

:wink:

blueisthecolour
23-10-2009, 11:47 AM
TBH, I think the "dangerous pubs" thing is a bit overdone. I've been in a few within the vicinity of Ibrox pre-match before without any problems.

FWIW, there's usually quite a number of Hibbies drink in the Counting House, in George square, or as said, in the Vale, right outside Queen St Station.

Or if you're feeling REALLY adventurous, there's always Khublai Khan's Mongolian Restaurant (Candleriggs), which may or may not sell Horse Meat. Maybe blueisthecolour can confirm whether or not this is the case.

I try to avoid this area as much as possible, it's now gets called merchant city, trying to make it a bit classy:faf:

Keith_M
23-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I try to avoid this area as much as possible, it's now gets called merchant city, trying to make it a bit classy:faf:

Merchant City? That's not what it was called when I lived in Glasgow.

What happened to the name 'East End sh*teh*le that must be avaoided at all costs'?

blueisthecolour
23-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Merchant City? That's not what it was called when I lived in Glasgow.

What happened to the name 'East End sh*teh*le that must be avaoided at all costs'?

Some bits are the same but this area has been done up with new pubs and places to eat, you stand out if you ask a coffee there now it's got to be a latte.

jockodile
24-10-2009, 12:32 AM
when i lived in the weedge i always drank in either the city or west end before the match and took the subway right to the game.

If coming from Reekie by train I'd suggest either the Counting House on George square or if you fancy something different take the underground (a day ticket is under 2 quid) up to Kelvinbridge or Hillhead, stacks of good boozers up that way, I like Oran Mhor at the intersection of Great Western Road/Byres road, about 2mins walk from Hillhead station.

I wouldn't give the bars around Ibrox my money on match days. Although I have been in a fair few on subcrawls. The two worst spots, The Doctors and The Grapes, close to Kinningpark subway are complete no gos. When I was in the Doctors they had kareoke on, but you can guess the type of songs that were on their playlists.

The Dolphin pub suggested is the complete opposite, a real Celtic shop.

TBH I preferred avoiding all of that stuff and just going to the stadium, most folks are ok but there's always a chance of meeting some screwball who wants to cause bother.

HibbyScott
24-10-2009, 12:41 AM
when i lived in the weedge i always drank in either the city or west end before the match and took the subway right to the game.

If coming from Reekie by train I'd suggest either the Counting House on George square or if you fancy something different take the underground (a day ticket is under 2 quid) up to Kelvinbridge or Hillhead, stacks of good boozers up that way, I like Oran Mhor at the intersection of Great Western Road/Byres road, about 2mins walk from Hillhead station.

I wouldn't give the bars around Ibrox my money on match days. Although I have been in a fair few on subcrawls. The two worst spots, The Doctors and The Grapes, close to Kinningpark subway are complete no gos. When I was in the Doctors they had kareoke on, but you can guess the type of songs that were on their playlists.

The Dolphin pub suggested is the complete opposite, a real Celtic shop.

TBH I preferred avoiding all of that stuff and just going to the stadium, most folks are ok but there's always a chance of meeting some screwball who wants to cause bother.

I wish :P £3.50 now - but anyway - as a resident of Partick - here goes.

Lyon & Co will probably be found in The Partick Tavern, directly opposite Kelvinhall subway station, which is probably my safest bet. A kind of Wetherspoons style pub with decent food on as well. You'd probably be ok with most city centre pubs as well.

magnificent_seven
24-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Pubs in the city centre are the best bets. Counting House, Crystal Palace and O'Henrys are decent choices.

Or you can try the west end. Get the Underground to Hillhead and go to Ashton Lane which is right outside the Underground station, then hop back on to Ibrox.

Now. Does anyone have a spare ticket for tomorrow so that I can go to a watering hole before the match!? :wink:

bazhfc
24-10-2009, 05:43 AM
does any know of pubs in the cbd in sydney showing the game? i know its on setanta but wont be on til 1am. was thinking maybe paddy maguires next to the capitol theatre