PDA

View Full Version : An old discussion re ticket prices

MB62
23-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I know this has been discussed in the past and I'm sure somebody came up with a good reason why it shouldn't or couldn't happen, but I wondered what most people thought on the following idea for pay at the gate punters like myself.

On December 27th, at what is probably THE most expensive time of the year, we are at home to the Sons of Darkness. Now, no doubt tickets for this game will be £27, a price which allows the club to get as much out of der hun as possible, (they will fill the south stand regardless of where they are in the league).
My own opinion is, I struggle to justify paying £27 for a game I can watch for free in the house, ESPECIALLY at that time of the year. Then the following week we play the Yams at home and the situation will be exactly the same.

Now to the question.

Do you think the club should try and come up with a wee deal for Hibbies, e.g. buy three tickets for the home games against Falkirk Nov 28th, Motherwell Dec 5th and der hun, for say £60, or £65 max, meaning you get in to the big game for basically the same price as the other two, or do we just say to our non season ticket holders, 'you had the chance to buy a season ticket and you didn't, we're playing well and think we can sell out regardless of price and T.V.?

We can also do the same for the Yams game too by selling a block of three for their game then the games against Hamilton and St Mirren on Jan 23rd and 30th respectively.

There's obvious arguements for and against this but by selling blocks of three games at a time, it takes the 'all stands must be priced similarly' out of the equation and gives der hun and Yam no reason to cry foul.

Personally, I am more likely to give Hibs £60 for those three games in advance, if that deal was offered, than I am to pay £27 to watch the live T.V. game. This might just help fill out the Hibs end for all three games.

Hibs7
23-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Good idea why not send the suggestion to the Hibs marketing manager. :thumbsup:

Oh and I am a season ticket holder.

sambajustice
23-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I know this has been discussed in the past and I'm sure somebody came up with a good reason why it shouldn't or couldn't happen, but I wondered what most people thought on the following idea for pay at the gate punters like myself.

On December 27th, at what is probably THE most expensive time of the year, we are at home to the Sons of Darkness. Now, no doubt tickets for this game will be £27, a price which allows the club to get as much out of der hun as possible, (they will fill the south stand regardless of where they are in the league).
My own opinion is, I struggle to justify paying £27 for a game I can watch for free in the house, ESPECIALLY at that time of the year. Then the following week we play the Yams at home and the situation will be exactly the same.

Now to the question.

Do you think the club should try and come up with a wee deal for Hibbies, e.g. buy three tickets for the home games against Falkirk Nov 28th, Motherwell Dec 5th and der hun, for say £60, or £65 max, meaning you get in to the big game for basically the same price as the other two, or do we just say to our non season ticket holders, 'you had the chance to buy a season ticket and you didn't, we're playing well and think we can sell out regardless of price and T.V.?

We can also do the same for the Yams game too by selling a block of three for their game then the games against Hamilton and St Mirren on Jan 23rd and 30th respectively.

There's obvious arguements for and against this but by selling blocks of three games at a time, it takes the 'all stands must be priced similarly' out of the equation and gives der hun and Yam no reason to cry foul.

Personally, I am more likely to give Hibs £60 for those three games in advance, if that deal was offered, than I am to pay £27 to watch the live T.V. game. This might just help fill out the Hibs end for all three games.

Ra Tic are running a similar deal at the moment Mr Burns, I saw it advertised in a daily tabloid.

Basically for £150 you're getting entry to (the next???) 5 Celtic home games on the bounce which culminates in the Old Firm Derby at Celtic Park.

A similar thing at ER could well be workable and would guarantee you a ticket for the New Year Derby.

MB62
23-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Ra Tic are running a similar deal at the moment Mr Burns, I saw it advertised in a daily tabloid.

Basically for £150 you're getting entry to (the next???) 5 Celtic home games on the bounce which culminates in the Old Firm Derby at Celtic Park.

A similar thing at ER could well be workable and would guarantee you a ticket for the New Year Derby.

£30 a game! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Shirley that cannot be right, have I got my maths wrong? £30 to watch that lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Hinge
23-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Shirley that cannot be right, have I got my maths wrong? £30 to watch that lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You also get to listen to SuBO at half time :greengrin

sambajustice
23-10-2009, 09:55 AM

probably works out more like £25 a head and £50 for the Rangers game. They know that Rangers tickets are gold dust so to guarantee one you're going to have to buy the pack.

They also probably know fine well folk will that just to have a ticket for that one game and probably wont bother turning up to the other 4!

I think that if we get through the next 3 games with a decent haul of points then an offer such as the one you suggested would be snapped up!

If we lose the next 3 however...

Andy74
23-10-2009, 09:55 AM
It depends if you are looking for Hibs to do a favour or gesture to us or if we are looking for Hibs to maximise revenue.

Lowering prices, through deals or straight price drops has not been shown to lead to an increase in crowds.

Any small increases are balanced off by the loss in revenue.

MB62
23-10-2009, 10:03 AM
It depends if you are looking for Hibs to do a favour or gesture to us or if we are looking for Hibs to maximise revenue.

Lowering prices, through deals or straight price drops has not been shown to lead to an increase in crowds.

Any small increases are balanced off by the loss in revenue.

Probably a bit of both Andy.
Even if Hibs offered the deal and only broke even overall on it, it would still be a good gesture and would also mean more Hibs fans attending games, and that's a good habit for people to get in to.
It is something for those money men at ER to investigate. Have we generally managed to sell out our tickets for games against der hun at home?
If not, how many empty seats at our end have there been?
Then they would have to decide if it's worth taking the chance on doing this.
IMO, I don't think Hibs would lose money on this, whether they make money in the short or long term is open to question.

Andy74
23-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Probably a bit of both Andy.
Even if Hibs offered the deal and only broke even overall on it, it would still be a good gesture and would also mean more Hibs fans attending games, and that's a good habit for people to get in to.
It is something for those money men at ER to investigate. Have we generally managed to sell out our tickets for games against der hun at home?
If not, how many empty seats at our end have there been?
Then they would have to decide if it's worth taking the chance on doing this.
IMO, I don't think Hibs would lose money on this, whether they make money in the short or long term is open to question.

We probably haven't sold out for a while but we may only be talking 1,000 tickets or so.

How many of those would be filled by it being cheaper?

If it was cheaper we are also losing the value on the ones who did pay the full price, so is it worth luring the extra punters for less value overall??

It's a valid question and I agree with your other points in terms of the other factors you need to think of.

Hearts for example have an average attendance of about 2,000 more than us, but I bet they make less money from it with their pricing. They do get more of a crowd advantage though and the ability to tell everyone they are a big team!

MB62
23-10-2009, 10:37 AM
We probably haven't sold out for a while but we may only be talking 1,000 tickets or so.

How many of those would be filled by it being cheaper?

If it was cheaper we are also losing the value on the ones who did pay the full price, so is it worth luring the extra punters for less value overall??

It's a valid question and I agree with your other points in terms of the other factors you need to think of.

Hearts for example have an average attendance of about 2,000 more than us, but I bet they make less money from it with their pricing. They do get more of a crowd advantage though and the ability to tell everyone they are a big team!

I don't the exact figures, it will be a guestimate, but here goes.

The ground holds about 17,500
Hibs have what? around 10,000 season ticket holders?
The South Stand will hold der hun at 3,800
This leaves only 3,700 to sell to 'pay at the gate' Hibs fans
@ £27 per head, this is a maximum of £99,900
If you reckon we are generally 1,000 short of capacity, this takes income from Hibs fans down to £72,900
Selling these tickets per block at £60 = £20 a game would mean we would probably have to sell out our total allocation of home tickets just to cover our drop in income, meaning there would be NO PROFIT in pricing the block tickets £60, but what it would mean is that tickets that might not have sold for the Falkirk and Motherwell games have now sold, so increased income that way.

There might not be much, if any, profit to be made, but it MIGHT just encourage a few more Hibs fans along to ER when otherwise they might not be there.
Going to football is as much a habit as not going and long term it might be worthwhile.
The new chairman of the SPL is looking at ways to get people back through the turnstiles, maybe this is one way worth taking a chance on :dunno:

sambajustice
23-10-2009, 10:49 AM

If you reckon we are generally 1,000 short of capacity, this takes income from Hibs fans down to £72,900
Selling these tickets per block at £60 = £20 a game would mean we would probably have to sell out our total allocation of home tickets just to cover our drop in income, meaning there would be NO PROFIT in pricing the block tickets £60, but what it would mean is that tickets that might not have sold for the Falkirk and Motherwell games have now sold, so increased income that way.

There might not be much, if any, profit to be made, but it MIGHT just encourage a few more Hibs fans along to ER when otherwise they might not be there.
Going to football is as much a habit as not going and long term it might be worthwhile.The new chairman of the SPL is looking at ways to get people back through the turnstiles, maybe this is one way worth taking a chance on :dunno:

And take into account the extra pies, juice, bevvy, club merchandise that would be sold so there would be some benefit. And as you rightly say there would be extra tickets sold for 2 other games meaning increased income!

Do you no fancy a job on the Hibs board Burnsie? Or maybe a job at the SFA?

Woody1985
23-10-2009, 10:52 AM

Going to football is as much a habit as not going and long term it might be worthwhile.
The new chairman of the SPL is looking at ways to get people back through the turnstiles, maybe this is one way worth taking a chance on :dunno:

I think that's the overall factor with deals like this.

As someone says, if Hearts get an extra 2000 per game than us but make less money each season, in the long run it will benefit them more. They're selling kids tickets for £18. When those kids grow up they'll be more likely to buy STs, take along their kids etc. 2000 extra people at games means more merchandise etc.

It doesn't make sense in the short term but does in the long term.

bobbyhibs1983
23-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I think the thread starter has a good point and as somone has said maybe they should give the idea to the hibs marketing team.

The thing regarding losing revenue as opposed to maximimising(sp) profit/revunue i think it works both ways,

say on average we have 2000 seats empty at e.r, then there is no money there(not st's who have not turned up)would it be better to have those 2000 seats to be sold at say £15 making hibs 30k?

The reason i feel alot of ppl dont go nowadays is a cobonation of it on tv and the ticket prices

Baldy Foghorn
23-10-2009, 11:08 AM

Now to the question.

A similar point was aired at the AGM, and it was something that Hibs wont do, as they would deem it unfair on Season Ticket Holders who have already stumped up their hard earned cash, and I agree with Hibs 100%........

Why should walk up fans get discounted prices????:confused:

flash
23-10-2009, 11:32 AM
A similar point was aired at the AGM, and it was something that Hibs wont do, as they would deem it unfair on Season Ticket Holders who have already stumped up their hard earned cash, and I agree with Hibs 100%........

If the Hibs end was full for those matches then you have your answer. Anything that motivates the team like a full stadium is surely more important than a few punters saving a couple of bucks.

MB62
23-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I think that's the overall factor with deals like this.

As someone says, if Hearts get an extra 2000 per game than us but make less money each season, in the long run it will benefit them more. They're selling kids tickets for £18. When those kids grow up they'll be more likely to buy STs, take along their kids etc. 2000 extra people at games means more merchandise etc.

It doesn't make sense in the short term but does in the long term.

And on that point, it may encourage fans to buy S.T. for the following season.
There is also the thing about having a Season Ticket and not wanting to give it up because you like your seats. I know we did that for about 3 years then eventually, under Mixu, it was just so bad and I bit the bullit and packed it in.
However, Hibs got money from me that they otherwise wouldn't have if I didn't have an S.T.
Again, it was habit forming and I know people who stuck it out because they didn't want to lose their seats.

I feel that as maybe a one off or two off, try it and see. If we lost money I doubt it would be much but it may just end up a worthwhile gamble.

Jack
23-10-2009, 11:56 AM

I’ve thought about that for a while and as a ST holder somewhat agree.

However Hibs could do something for the ST holders to compensate, that at the same time would again increase the size of the home end :wink:

For every couple of games where Hibs are offering a reduced entry to walk up fans Hibs could send ST holders a voucher allowing them to bring a friend at half price.

I don’t really this as Hibs loosing income but squeezing every last drop out the tube.

MB62
23-10-2009, 12:13 PM

Point one - S.T. holders would still be getting a better deal on the ratio of cost per game and whilst it wouldn't be as much a difference, you would still be slightly better off.

Point Two - If you are buying a block of three tickets, you are not exactly 'walk up' are you, you are commiting yourself to the next three games and putting money up front, similar to S.T. holders.
Question would have to be asked of yourself in reverse, 'Why shouldn't they get discounts, would it pain you that much seeing more Hibs fans being encouraged to go to the games?

Of course it's up to the club and if they don't want to do for whatever reason then that's their choice.

It's good that you gave opposite points of view on this as it opens it up to debate and you do make valid points.

Mikey
23-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Indeed. If walk ups are getting in for less where's the incentive in buying a season ticket?

sambajustice
23-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Indeed. If walk ups are getting in for less where's the incentive in buying a season ticket?

Its not for a full season though is it? Its only for a small group of matches (3 or 4) when A) folk haven't a lot of money anyway and B) it would increase the size of the crowd considerably for at least 2 of the 3 games.

MB62
23-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Mikey, they wouldn't be getting in for Less, it would be a middle price between season ticket deals and walk up prices.
Even at the dearest price of £380 and only getting 19 games, it still works out at £20 per game for S.T. holders, for other areas and the possibility of 20 games a season, the S.T. deal is better.
I'm not talking about doing this every single week, only when we have Cat A games that are being televised at ER.
It is all about enticing HIbbies through the turnstiles that might not necessarily be there. I sympathise with your attitude but would you really be that upset if it helped the club in the long run?

MB62
23-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Its not for a full season though is it? Its only for a small group of matches (3 or 4) when A) folk haven't a lot of money anyway and B) it would increase the size of the crowd considerably for at least 2 of the 3 games.

Great minds think alike eh! :thumbsup:

sambajustice
23-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Great minds think alike eh! :thumbsup:

awww naw, i'm no that radge am I?

:greengrin

Antifa Hibs
23-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Anyone that needs a discount to go and see there team needs tae have a look at themselves IMO.

Support your team because you want to, not because there is an £11 saving.

Baldy Foghorn
24-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Anyone that needs a discount to go and see there team needs tae have a look at themselves IMO.

:top marks

Peevemor
24-10-2009, 08:38 AM

What about those who simply don't have much cash - especially those taking kids? It isn't always a straightforward decision.

wee 162
24-10-2009, 09:00 AM

Are that many folk really buying STs because they're getting a discounted price? I've read somewhere before that on average 10% of ST holders won't be at any single game. The vast majority I know will miss one or two games a season due to other commitments so that rings true to me. If that's the case then a lot of folk won't be saving much if anything by buying a ST.

I'd also add on the capacity thing that I'm fairly sure Hibs don't count ST holders who aren't there, and those in the corporate sections who haven't came through a turnstile. So for a game like the Celtic one earlier this season where there were only 14,500 there you could probably add about 1500 to the amount of people in corporate and with unused STs. So we were probably about 1500 under capacity for that game in terms of unsold tickets.

flash
24-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Absolutely. in fact lets put the gate up to £40 and get rid of all those pesky families and students not to mention those on low income.

Antifa Hibs
24-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Absolutely. in fact lets put the gate up to £40 and get rid of all those pesky families and students not to mention those on low income.

Low income? You don't need to tell me about low income. I'm in £6.02 per hour, 35 hours per week, yet still have a season ticket and have done all my life, yet still makes every away game, and have done all my life.

I also know students who travel from Dundee everyweek to see Hibs, students who miss a Saturday night out to see Hibs, faithers who take their bairns everyweek etc, because they want to see Hibs, and thats the bottom line for me, if you want to go, you'll go. (All in my humble opinion of course...)