PDA

View Full Version : Ibrox Memories

bigwheel
23-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Found myself reminiscing about trips to Ibrox as we head there this weekend.....

This story is from circa 1981.....Went through on a supporters bus as a teenager with a guy called James Napier (Drummond High Schoole - is he still around?). In those days the away fans went into to the enclosure underneath the main stand. It was standing at the time, and there was no segregation. Usually a small police line formed when there was any hint of hostility. On this day, there had been a few tussles but nothing more, the two of us somehow found ourselves watching the match in the middle of the Rangers singing section....no colours so we stayed quiet, smiled at each other and watched the game in amongst their nutters. Our cover was blown when McArthur (I think) saved a late penalty and the both of us found ourselves in mid air as without thinking we jumped up to celebrate.....their shock of us "imposters" gave us enough time to squeeze through them and leg it back to the bus before they caught us......it ended 2-2 if I recall......a normal 70/80's away day at Ibrox!!

Hapy Days :greengrin ...any other memories???

Joy Zipper
23-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Found myself reminiscing about trips to Ibrox as we head there this weekend.....

This story is from circa 1981.....Went through on a supporters bus as a teenager with a guy called James Napier (Drummond High Schoole - is he still around?). In those days the away fans went into to the enclosure underneath the main stand. It was standing at the time, and there was no segregation. Usually a small police line formed when there was any hint of hostility. On this day, there had been a few tussles but nothing more, the two of us somehow found ourselves watching the match in the middle of the Rangers singing section....no colours so we stayed quiet, smiled at each other and watched the game in amongst their nutters. Our cover was blown when McArthur (I think) saved a late penalty and the both of us found ourselves in mid air as without thinking we jumped up to celebrate.....their shock of us "imposters" gave us enough time to squeeze through them and leg it back to the bus before they caught us......it ended 2-2 if I recall......a normal 70/80's away day at Ibrox!!

Hapy Days :greengrin ...any other memories???

Jim McArthur used to be my PE teached at primary school (Royal High) :thumbsup:

He used to bring in tickets for the games and gave them to the kids :greengrin

lyonhibs
23-10-2009, 08:24 AM
My most recent memory of Ibrox is the 2-1 defeat in the league where Shiels scored a consolatin for us right towards the end.

I spent most of the game with the shakes, as I had a hang over that could have easily immobilised a wooly mammoth!!

Looking for an altogether happier day tomorrow!!!

Though the 3-0 Cup win, remains, for me, my favourite Hibs away day outwith the Brian Kerr Derby.

Ritchie
23-10-2009, 08:29 AM
as a youngster :wink: i've only been to ibrox a handful of time.

the best by far was the cup game, 0-3..... i think the fact that there were so many hibees there made the result ten times better!

loved that day!! :agree:

Ritchie
23-10-2009, 08:30 AM
My most recent memory of Ibrox is the 2-1 defeat in the league where Shiels scored a consolatin for us right towards the end.

I spent most of the game with the shakes, as I had a hang over that could have easily immobilised a wooly mammoth!!

Looking for an altogether happier day tomorrow!!!

Though the 3-0 Cup win, remains, for me, my favourite Hibs away day outwith the Brian Kerr Derby.

LORDY LORD!! :wink:

Si_17
23-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Going top of the league thanks to a certain David Murphy was pretty good.

Suburban Hibby
23-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Must have been about 87/88, brian rice had put Hibs 1 up and after Der Hun equalised Mickey Weir ran from the half way line only to be chopped on the edge of the box. 5 mins to go, the free kick hits the wall and Bomber Harris rattles home the rebound- pandemonium!!!
None of this segregation lark outside, the baying hordes were awaiting-

Ah the memories!

lyonhibs
23-10-2009, 09:06 AM
]LORDY LORD!![/B] :wink:

Sadly he had nowt to do with it, and certainly wasn't on my side that day :greengrin!!

More like "Boozy Booze" - as it will be tomorrow from noon in the Weeg!!

RIP
23-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I remember a game at Ibrox where Tony Higgins lofted a huge punt over Peter McLoys heid only to see it rattle the bar and drop into the grateful goalie's hands.

Sergey
23-10-2009, 09:40 AM
It's got to be the 1983/84 Scottish Junior Cup Final when Bo'ness United defeated Cumnock Juniors.

There was a goal in that game (scored by Lex Shields, the Bo'ness winger) that was one of the best goals ever scored in the history of Association Football (at least that's what I thought at the time).

Picked the ball up in his own half, beat a dozen Cumnock players before slipping it into an empty net :thumbsup:

1875godsgift
23-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Jim McArthur used to be my PE teached at primary school (Royal High) :thumbsup:

He used to bring in tickets for the games and gave them to the kids :greengrin
Ha! I had him too! Remember one of my mates getting the belt from Maud the headmistress for saying " We've got gym in the gym wi Jim! "
Think she was a yam.

hibernian1982
23-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I had the pleasure of attending the 3-0 Scottish Cup win when Sproule, O'Connor and Killen scored. Fantastic day - the whole of the away end singing and giving it right to the Huns. We were sitting right next to the unwashed as well, brilliant.

Thing is - on the way over we were driving in 2 cars, one had a minor crash and the driver had to miss the game and take the car back to Edinburgh. There was a massive tail back on the M8 and even the Hibs fans in the buses were slagging us off!!

One of the best games i've been to though.

Ritchie
23-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Sadly he had nowt to do with it, and certainly wasn't on my side that day :greengrin!!

More like "Boozy Booze" - as it will be tomorrow from noon in the Weeg!!

aslong as your fit for sunday son!! :cool2:

bigwheel
23-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Another one that brings back fond memories was the two legged league cup semi final....Mid eighties, we won first leg at ER 2-0 (pretty sure Gordon Chisholm scored a header on his debut) . Second leg, we had the whole of the broomloan road - and filled it.....Lots of traffic hassle getting to the game, we arrived about 20 mins into first half, just in time to see Davy Cooper get a goal back from a free kick. The rest of the night was one of the most nail biting match I've ever witnessed....But the sheer joy at the end was superb.....

Great night...

MacBean
23-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Ive been to Ibrox TWICE in my short life time and Both times the result has been

Glasgow Rangers 0 vs 3 Hibernian

the Sproule Hat-Trick game was my first visit to Ibrox I will never EVER forget how good I felt that day!

The Scottish Cup game was sensational too with so many hibees through it was just a joy to get one over them:wink:

Why am i not going this weekend to continue my lucky charm streak??
I'm in England :boo hoo:

WE ARE THE PEOPLE :faf:

lyonhibs
23-10-2009, 01:36 PM
aslong as your fit for sunday son!! :cool2:

Im in nets - fitness is completely unnecessary - I'll just stay rooted to my line and watch the goals fly past me :greengrin :devil:

Joking - I'll be there fit as a fiddle, and may have a mate who's a decent CB and is generally free on the weekends to help out/sign up for the madness!!

1st things first though - 24 hours to go till Ibrox!!

PaulSmith
23-10-2009, 02:28 PM
It's got to be the 1983/84 Scottish Junior Cup Final when Bo'ness United defeated Cumnock Juniors.

There was a goal in that game (scored by Lex Shields, the Bo'ness winger) that was one of the best goals ever scored in the history of Association Football (at least that's what I thought at the time).

Picked the ball up in his own half, beat a dozen Cumnock players before slipping it into an empty net :thumbsup:

That's Jay's old man just in case anyone was bothered and meant to be one of the hardest bar stewards ever to play junior fitba as well!

Seriously though my record at Ibrox is fairly good.

Skol Cup semi in 85 - beat 1 nil but through 2-1
Jackson's penalty winner some time in the 90s
Sproule hat trick
Cup game - live on Sky and ripped them apart.
Zitelli scoring in a 1 all draw mid week after McLeish joined them

Hainan Hibs
23-10-2009, 02:38 PM
The cup game is the main memory. For some reason I had that feeling you get when you just know you will win, no matter what the odds are. First half Hibs played to the game plan, kept it tight and Simon Brown pulling off a great save.
When O'Connor went up for the header it seemed to be in slow motion, and the celebrations were unreal, a sea of Hibs fans going wild, we really had taken over Ibrox. It seemed like I had just recovered from the celebration in time to see Sproule on the edge of the box and powered home an immense finish, absoultely sexual:greengrin. 5000 people doing a Hibees bounce, and then seeing Hun after Hun getting thrown out for losing the plot when we started the "We are the people" chant:faf:. Then Killen popped up to finish the job, it really was out of this world.

Another mention must go the 2-2 game when Orman scored a cracker. Think Tam "No Touching" McManus put us 1-0 up, Huns got it to 2-1 Rangers, when who else but Alan Orman scored an absolute screamer, running all the way up the park to the Hibs fans. He tried it so many times after that, I don't think anyone else has hit row Z more:greengrin

weecounty hibby
23-10-2009, 02:55 PM
My first trip to Ibrox was LC semi. A great night out. Can also remember wins there as above Bomber Harris winner, Houchy winner in a 1-0, Jackos penalty winner. I think it was the Houchy game when the Alloa bus had amout 12 of us on a 52 seater and getting pelters from the Huns on the way there as to the size of our support. after the game the windows on the bus got smashed, as we entered the tunnel on the motorway we were held up in traffic, surrounded by Huns in cars and busses but we gave it absolute laldy out of the broken windows and made some noise in the tunnel. The good old days!!!!!!!

MacBean
23-10-2009, 03:18 PM
My first trip to Ibrox was LC semi. A great night out. Can also remember wins there as above Bomber Harris winner, Houchy winner in a 1-0, Jackos penalty winner. I think it was the Houchy game when the Alloa bus had amout 12 of us on a 52 seater and getting pelters from the Huns on the way there as to the size of our support. after the game the windows on the bus got smashed, as we entered the tunnel on the motorway we were held up in traffic, surrounded by Huns in cars and busses but we gave it absolute laldy out of the broken windows and made some noise in the tunnel. The good old days!!!!!!!

That wouldn't happen to the be the league cup semi that was played at Hampden by any chance :wink:

Or is this before my time

MUSSI LEE
23-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Must have been about 87/88, brian rice had put Hibs 1 up and after Der Hun equalised Mickey Weir ran from the half way line only to be chopped on the edge of the box. 5 mins to go, the free kick hits the wall and Bomber Harris rattles home the rebound- pandemonium!!!

Ah the memories!1985 was the year :agree:

lyonhibs
23-10-2009, 03:21 PM
That wouldn't happen to the be the league cup semi that was played at Hampden by any chance :wink:

Id imagine not - it was in the days when the LC semi-final was played over 2 legs - Hibs won the first one 2-0, and lost the second at Ibrox 1-0, but still went through.

Apparently, the away end was more or less empty up until half time thanks to grim traffic.

This information comes to you courtesy of thingsIlearntfromhibs.net.com :greengrin

MacBean
23-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Id imagine not - it was in the days when the LC semi-final was played over 2 legs - Hibs won the first one 2-0, and lost the second at Iborx 1-0, but still went through.

Apparently, the away end was more or less empty up until half time thanks to grim traffic.

This information comes to you courtesy of thingsIlearntfromhibs.net.com :greengrin

Many thanks Lyon!
Edited my post to reflect my new found knowledge!:greengrin

Killiehibbie
23-10-2009, 03:26 PM
My first trip to ibrox was Scottish Cup 1978. That was the day I realised that everything i'd been told about had actually been understated. They are horrible disgusting people. Never liked going there even when we've won.

wpj
23-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Was it really that long ago? Remember travelling back to Bo'ness in what had become a shell of a former bus after an almighty rammy outside Ibrox

wpj
23-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Id imagine not - it was in the days when the LC semi-final was played over 2 legs - Hibs won the first one 2-0, and lost the second at Ibrox 1-0, but still went through.

I was there that night, Davie Cooper scored but we held out for what seemed like an eternity!! Was an interesting (and very fast) journey from Ibrox to the bus that night!!

gringojoe
23-10-2009, 04:23 PM
14 or 15 years old stepping off the Artisan bus and some dirty hun b@ssa spitting in my face. Glasgow is miles better was the slogan at the time. AYE RIGHT!

PaulSmith
23-10-2009, 04:31 PM
I was there that night, Davie Cooper scored but we held out for what seemed like an eternity!! Was an interesting (and very fast) journey from Ibrox to the bus that night!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy7z_z5sVVs

1:40 in on the video. You can see the size of the Hibs support already in the stadium and it was a lot bigger by the end

weecounty hibby
23-10-2009, 04:44 PM

Or is this before my time

Yes before your time obviously. 2-0 at ER then 0-1 at Ibrox with an Alan Rough masterclass to see us through. Huns scored with a D Cooper free kick

weecounty hibby
23-10-2009, 04:46 PM
All ticket that night and Hibs sold the whole Broomloan, 7500. Great atmosphere and a great night.
I remember coming out and hearing a bottle smash, looked round to see a Hibby getting it stuck in his face. Filthy Hun bassas

HibbyAndy
23-10-2009, 04:53 PM

My first visit to Ibrox..was at the home game aswell when we won 2-0 and Alan Rough saved a penalty.

Were holding on for dear life that night :agree: still remember it! even as a 9 year old.

Ray_
23-10-2009, 05:35 PM
First visit to the unwashed was a 3-1 win that put us top of the league, so I hope that is a good omen. Marinello x 2 & McBride were the scorers for Willie Mac's side on that memorable Saturday afternoon in Oct 1969.

bournehibby
23-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Older Hibbys will recall I'm sure, a 4-2 victory at Ibrox in season 64/65 I think. Rangers were champions at the time, and were "unbeatable" at home. We went behind twice as I remember, but pegged it back to win convincingly in the end. Big Jock was in the hot seat at the time, and after a few seasons in the doldrums there was a feeling that the good times were ready to roll again at ER. We did them 3 times that season, but the bubble burst after a year or so, Stein went to Celtic, and the rest as they say...........

bh

Aldo
23-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Big Houchens winner in the dying minutes at hunbrox....the night at ER when dukebox and Chisholm (making his debut after signing from Sunderland) and Roughs penalty save from super a hole. I was in the main stands old enclosure and couldnt move. I was 15 at the time and was drinking from a bottle passed round by these guys.

And for me the most famous game of all the 2-1 win at ER when there was a riot and Roughie sat at the post while it was all going off in the centre circle after P%%$s did Beastie.

Hopefully another one tomorrow.

GG

Sergey
23-10-2009, 05:46 PM

I was also at that match (and I made it in plenty time for the KO).

My abiding memory is the performance of Alan Rough that evening. One of the finest goalkeeping displays that I've seen (Roughy had a few, but this was his best, IMO).

I was also at a match when we won 1-2 and Colin Harris scored the winner with a 1 yard thunderbolt late in the 2nd half.

Can't remember if that was the match that Kevin McKee was assaulted by some moron who ran on and decked him 9I was at that match, too).

The pheckin huns stood and applauded the culprit as he was arrested and paraded to the exit.

Those were the days when it was 50p for a bunch of toe-rags to "look efter yir motor, mistir?"

wpj
23-10-2009, 06:08 PM

1:40 in on the video. You can see the size of the Hibs support already in the stadium and it was a lot bigger by the end

Slightly off track but Davie Cooper was a class player, remember him having a few wind up with Hibs fans over the years, particularly when he played for Motherwell.

Devonhibs
23-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Very early eighties, cant remember the exact score but we either beat them 1 - 0 or 2 -1. However, they used to have a half time lucky draw number printed on the programme - yes, yours truly won the fifty quid which I gleefully picked up at the main entrance after the game - 10 crisp blue fivers - priceless.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cocaine&Caviar
23-10-2009, 06:52 PM
My first ever trip to Ibrox tomorrow, cannot wait!

Davy Mac
23-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Been to Ibrox man times due to being family friends with John Greig, but the LC Semi was tremendous, but one has to say the late Davie Cooper was simply outstanding and his type of fitba is sorely missed.

Darren Jackson's winning penalty springs to mind, getting booted in the cheenies when we parked at the wrong end and remember another time being being pelted wi pies etc in the directors box with my dad, brother etc when Hibs scored (must have been early eighties likes)........:hilarious

southfieldshibby
23-10-2009, 08:54 PM

It was my 18th Birthday that day and my dad, who used to be a bus driver, was hijacked by me and a couple of pals and taken on the bus to Ibrox.
We never had tickets, but got in just before half time, although my dad was on the lower tier just below us.
It was the real first time that i understood what a great man he was (and is) and every week i can still see his face that night jumping about in his corporation bus uniform sticking it to the huns. Beautiful!

Sprouleflyer
23-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Travelled through on the train that night with what seemed to be the biggest hibs mob ever, must have been 300-400, police did their best to spilt up the mob and ended up at ibrox 25 mins after kickoff with about 4 other guys!!!

surreyhibbie
23-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Only once, many years ago, My mate Eddie Whoriskey and I left our scarves on the bus (stuck out like a pair of sore thumbs!) and went to the main stand "where all the old men go" to avoid trouble.

Aye, auld men with razor scars and bits of ear missing..... never felt hatred in the air like it.

We lost 1-0 and I would never go back to that **** hole.

Nameless
23-10-2009, 09:44 PM
My only happy memory from Ibrox is the 3-0 Scottish Cup match. We are 2-0 up and my brother, who is in a club in America, phones to find out the score. Just as I utter the words "2-0", Deeks plays a great through ball to the Kiwi, who slots in the 3rd.

My brother recorded the call on his phone, and it is superb. You hear me saying "2-0....wait the now......f****ng great ball Deeks.....HIT IT!!!...yaaaaaaasssssssss!!!!!" There then follows about 30 seconds of crowd noise, and when that quiets down a bit, I can be heard unleashing a string of naughty words at the Huns below us, which ended with me serenading a ned in a blue tracksuit with "Go home ya hun go home":greengrin My brother even managed to find a hun to play it for in a Boston bar the next day:smug:

Cocaine&Caviar
23-10-2009, 10:02 PM
A bit of Inspiration ahead of tomorrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLmRwY02nWk

The Harp
23-10-2009, 10:08 PM
My first visit to Ibrox is etched in the memory. I had just joined the St Giles branch (1963) and travelled through with some pals. When we stepped off the bus in Brand Street (always remember the street name 'cos the Huns had Ralph Brand in attack) we were challenged to fight by two guys, one waving a Bowie knife. Needless to say we resisted and walked nervously towards the ground, scarves concealed under jackets.
We were 0-5 down at half time and were having a discussion as to how we could turn things around in the 2nd half :rolleyes: when I felt a tap on my shoulder and heard the words "Hey, Jimmy!" When I turned round I got head butted by some Hun who obviously had cottoned on to the fact we were Hibees. No segregation in those days and real hatred in the air.
I've been back a number of times since, but not lately.
Good luck to all Hibees going thru tomorrow.

McIntosh
23-10-2009, 10:19 PM
must have been about 87/88, brian rice had put hibs 1 up and after der hun equalised mickey weir ran from the half way line only to be chopped on the edge of the box. 5 mins to go, the free kick hits the wall and bomber harris rattles home the rebound- pandemonium!!!

ah the memories!

1984/85

McIntosh
23-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Another one that brings back fond memories was the two legged league cup semi final....Mid eighties, we won first leg at ER 2-0 (pretty sure Gordon Chisholm scored a header on his debut) . Second leg, we had the whole of the broomloan road - and filled it.....Lots of traffic hassle getting to the game, we arrived about 20 mins into first half, just in time to see Davy Cooper get a goal back from a free kick. The rest of the night was one of the most nail biting match I've ever witnessed....But the sheer joy at the end was superb.....

Great night...

In the first leg, Chisholm and Durie scoring and Roughie saving a penalty!

The second leg was tremendous that was the first game I remember were Hibs were not intimidate by the rangers fans. My enduring memory was a friend of mines flinging a bus seat at a rangers bus on the motorway, mental!

Incrediably, he is now a history teacher in West Lothian!!!

McIntosh
23-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Aye dead brave when they're surrounded by the tribe I've had 2 hellish trips to ibrox swore never to go back! Also standing with my mate outside the playhouse when we were about 14 ( in the 80's ) got surrounded by 3-400 grown men just off the train at Waverley I got punched to the ground and kicked, he got the heid stuck on him and kicked in the face. I've got such a lot of respect for these am*******ors of Scottish football.

They are s**m, many bad experiences with these gentlemans one bad experience was meeting two of them on a train going to London. I was completely sober and they were well pissed got of the train and the more mouthy of the two spat right in my face after one right hook he was out cold, his friend was a really hero you couldn't see him for dust.

They are vermin no fancy suits will ever disguise what they represent.

Bostonhibby
23-10-2009, 10:42 PM
First away game I persuaded my good lady wife to attend (she often wondered what I did for an entire day on saturday) was when Willie Jamieson scored a header for us at Hunbox, we were in the lower tier of the stand and a number of malformed youth who were Glasgows answer to the banjo player in deliverance thought because they outnumbered us the thing to do was spit on us after the goal. The day went downhill from there as one of our party went up to point out the error of their ways and whilst they were all sh**ting themselves he only managed to hit one of them.

The fine was split 4 ways, I could only have felt better if I had hit one of the pond life myself. The missus has remained staunchly Hibs, repelled by the Hun ever since and never went to another game...........every cloud has a silver lining.

Was also there when John Brownlie ran half the length of the pitch to score the only goal to win us a cup semi.

FRes Hibbie
23-10-2009, 10:47 PM
My first ever trip to Ibrox tomorrow, cannot wait!

Me too. I was supposed to go to the 0-3 cup game but - as I was only 15 at the time and would have been travelling to glasgow on my own - my dad vetoed it. I was round at my pal's house watching it on sky with about 4 or 5 huns and was going mad after the third goal before remembering that I should've been there :grr:

Pete
23-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Slightly off track but Davie Cooper was a class player, remember him having a few wind up with Hibs fans over the years, particularly when he played for Motherwell.

Was thinking the same thing. Used to love watching the ball stick to his feet no matter who he played for. Still can't find a video of that penalty for Scotland in the play off against Wales....his best ever goal!

Anyway, The 0-3 cup game at Ibrox. The demonstrations after the match:thumbsup:

McLeish out!:thumbsup:

Kevvy1875
23-10-2009, 10:56 PM
0-3 Game!:thumbsup:

Everyone who was there knew what it meant...the 2nd time we had done it that season too!...it was almost...half expected although you did not dare think it. But nevertheless...5000+ Hibees going mental at Ibrox is something I will never forget!

also...On the way up to my seat I passed the bookie and had a gander at match odds...had a peek and thought..mmmmmm 3-0 again?...surely not? O'Connor to score first? Maybe? I fancied it and at 375-1 it looked good for a couple of quid. Anyway...all the mates done a bunk up the stairs into the stand and I thought, nah..will just leave it.:grr: Buttttttt....I wouldnt have traded all the bookies money in the world for the feeling I had when Killen scored that 3rd goal. So cest la vie!

McIntosh
23-10-2009, 11:00 PM
First away game I persuaded my good lady wife to attend (she often wondered what I did for an entire day on saturday) was when Willie Jamieson scored a header for us at Hunbox, we were in the lower tier of the stand and a number of malformed youth who were Glasgows answer to the banjo player in deliverance thought because they outnumbered us the thing to do was spit on us after the goal. The day went downhill from there as one of our party went up to point out the error of their ways and whilst they were all sh**ting themselves he only managed to hit one of them.

The fine was split 4 ways, I could only have felt better if I had hit one of the pond life myself. The missus has remained staunchly Hibs, repelled by the Hun ever since and never went to another game...........every cloud has a silver lining.

Was also there when John Brownlie ran half the length of the pitch to score the only goal to win us a cup semi.

They are inbred fuc**rs, I do have a deep and enduring hatred of them. A lot of the worst behaviour in terms of fighting was outside near the old St Anthony's social club saw them tossing scafolding pylons and steel joints at Hibs fans.

Bostonhibby
23-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Slightly off message but heres one of my favourite archive photos from the good old days where the Huns were never bigots, the refs were never masons and there was never any whiff of a connection between doubtful decisions they enjoyed and the refs who used the same social connections or interest groups.

For the benefit of the less well informed, the man on the right is Tiny Wharton, Scotlands top referee at the time, the man on the left is John Greig Captain of Rangers whose status in the eyes of the man on the right should have been the same as any other Scottish football club captain. The bit circled in the middle is generally known as a Masonic handshake. I never have understood the smile on big Tiny's face but if anyone wants to get a competition going feel free.Hope there nae connection to tomorrow as I think we wll do them.

PS if anyone wants the full image to analyse the image PM me!

EVENTUALLY
23-10-2009, 11:13 PM
First visit to the unwashed was a 3-1 win that put us top of the league, so I hope that is a good omen. Marinello x 2 & McBride were the scorers for Willie Mac's side on that memorable Saturday afternoon in Oct 1969.

Same here. WMcF played a masterstoke by sending out the forward line to line up and in Marinello's case actually play in unorthodox positions. PM played right through the middle and destroyed Rangers.

iwasthere1972
23-10-2009, 11:45 PM

:thumbsup: My first trip to Ibrox as well. I didn't mind celebrating three times despite being on my own amongst that terrible smell of huns. :thumbsup:

Hope we can do similar tomorrow but can't help feeling we're doomed already with all this feel good factor and the expectations of a win on the cards by some folk on here. Please prove me wrong.

cabbageandribs1875
24-10-2009, 12:29 AM
one of my earliest memories of ibrox was a cup replay between hibs and motherwell :confused: can any aulder yins remember this game :dunno: motherwell won 1-0 iirc ? :boo hoo: remember the semi-final 2nd leg game(davie cooper goal) the atmosphere was tremendous and not just because we had the whole end to ourselves, ibrox was/is a right intimidating place when the huns were/are in full voice :agree:

rightwinger
24-10-2009, 10:01 AM
First game was a 0-3 loss in 92-93. Budgie was getting a bit past it by then. The ground was so big and Rangers were so dominant at the time - nearly getting to the CL final - that it was a really intimidating atmosphere.

Then a 1-2 loss in 1993-94. A couple of weeks before LC final to them which we also lost 1-2. Trevor Steven scored a peach but Evans soon got it back. Ian Ferguson then had a shot that was heading for the corner flag but Hateley got his head on it and it curled in.

Next game was later in the season. We could have pulled to within a point of them at the top if we won. Lost 0-2, Durie rugby-tackled David Farrell IIRC and ran through and scored. Hateley used to give Gordon Hunter some treatment in thos games but it was always Hunter that got sent-off!

Then the Jackson game in 1995. Gazza and Laudrup were no match for Andy Millen and Steven Tweed that day. Jackson took the penalty well after a foul on Harper. Petric hit his own bar. The best memory was Goram trying to take on Keith Wright late on. Wright caught him but his shot was blocked. The ball spun out to Crunchie at an acute angle outside the box. Crunchie thumped a volley that was flying into the roof of the net. Out of nowhere flies Goram to tip it round the post for a corner! Still, 1-0 was enough.

rightwinger
24-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Our recent wins there include

06/07 - 1-0 - SPL - Murphy (60)
05/06 - 3-0 - SC - GO, IS, CK
05/06 - 3-0 - SPL - IS
95/96 - 1-0 - SPL - Jackson p (63)
89/90 - 1-0 - PL - Houchen (60)
85/86 - 2-1 - PL - ?
84/85 - 2-1 - PL - Rice, Harris

PercyHibs
24-10-2009, 10:24 AM
My Ibrox memory, couldnt get a ticket for the hibs end so my dad and I managed to get a couple of tickets outside the ground for the home end. At half time, Standing minding my own business, a guy taps me on the shoulder and hands me the corner of a red hand of ulster flag. Not wanting to make a scene, i embarrassingly and reluctantly held the corner of the flag. Looked up to the big screen and there was me, filling the screen holding the flag. :bitchy:

Steve-O
24-10-2009, 10:52 AM
My record at Ibrox was fairly abysmal until quite recently.

I recall being at the following games -

Rangers 2-0 Hibs (Gough & Hately I think, early 90's)
Rangers 4-3 Hibs (cracking game this Jackson, Wright, McGinlay for Hibs)
Rangers 7-0 Hibs (hmmm...not the best!)
Celtic 0-0 Hibs (SC semi final)
Celtic 3-1 Hibs (SC semi final replay)
Rangers 5-2 (when McManus scored that cracker)
Rangers 4-1 Hibs (Scottish Cup, Brebner scored)
Rangers 0-3 Hibs (Sproule 3)
Rangers 2-0 (Boyd & Ferguson I think)
Rangers 0-1 Hibs (Murphy)

There have been a few others I was at that I vaguely remember but can't remember the scores. I definitely know that the Sproule hatrick was the first time I even saw Hibs take a point from Ibrox, after about 12 years of going there!!

PaulC
24-10-2009, 11:00 AM
All ticket that night and Hibs sold the whole Broomloan, 7500. Great atmosphere and a great night. I remember coming out and hearing a bottle smash, looked round to see a Hibby getting it stuck in his face. Filthy Hun bassas

My mate got a bottle in his face just outside the Broomloan stand after that match.  We came out dancing and signing and a hun bassa ran over and smashed it in my mates face.  Luckily he only had a few cuts around the mouth and no lasting scars. To be fair a few Rangers fans came over to see my mate was ok but the bassa that did it managed to get away.

After that incident I stopped wearing colours to Ibrox but we would still get spat all over and called F*nien ********s as we walked back to the car.  A very strange place to visit, used to be scared sh*tless outside but got the addrenalin pumping while inside.

I also have a memory, cant remember the match or the score, but it would have been the 80's around November time and we had a few rows of seats in the main stand and someone in the enclosure fired a rocket up at the Hibs fans hitting the roof of the stand.

EasterRoad4Ever
24-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Great night...

:agree: Great memories of that night too. The happiest I've been after a defeat. That was the first time the Broomloan stand had been filled to capacity by an away support other than Celtic. The support that night was brilliant - especially being locked in after the match and that whole team coming over to us. On the way back our bus got a brick through the windscreen from some Hun Kids on one of the M8 overpasses. It hit the driver who did well to keep control and pull to a stop on the hard shoulder. Some of us were helping the driver who was covered in blood and blinded when we noticed that the Huns were running along a hard shoulder to finish the job. We had to get the driver to start the bus up again and drive on along the hard shoulder while a Hibs fan controlled the steering wheel.

Driver and bus were taken to the nearest hospital, we got back to Edin around 1am and missed all the post-match celebs. What a night :agree:

PaulC
24-10-2009, 11:15 AM

I remember being at this match too, sure it was a mid-week evening kick-off. Me and 2 mates went through by car without tickets, we dropped one of my mates off to get tickets and we went to park the car. Ended up in the top tier of the Broomloan in amongst the sc*m but it was an absolute cracking game even though we lost.

EasterRoad4Ever
24-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Decided to go back to Hunland for first time in 20 years to experience the 0-3 cup game along with 5000 other Hibs fans in the Broomloan.

IMHO only thrashing the Huns in the Scottish Cup Final itself could better that day out. It was almost overwhelming :thumbsup:

EasterRoad4Ever
24-10-2009, 11:24 AM
:agree: Great memories of that night too. The happiest I've been after a defeat. That was the first time the Broomloan stand had been filled to capacity by an away support other than Celtic. The support that night was brilliant - especially being locked in after the match and that whole team coming over to us. On the way back our bus got a brick through the windscreen from some Hun Kids on one of the M8 overpasses. It hit the driver who did well to keep control and pull to a stop on the hard shoulder. Some of us were helping the driver who was covered in blood and blinded when we noticed that the Huns were running along a hard shoulder to finish the job. We had to get the driver to start the bus up again and drive on along the hard shoulder while a Hibs fan controlled the steering wheel.

Driver and bus were taken to the nearest hospital, we got back to Edin around 1am and missed all the post-match celebs. What a night :agree:

Almost forgot... was so nervous, I couldn't watch the last 10 mins so decided to take a walk under the stand. Couldn't believe the number of Hibbies who were in the same state under the stand - smoking, nail-biting. Brilliant night.

Steve-O
24-10-2009, 11:31 AM

I remember being at this match too, sure it was a mid-week evening kick-off. Me and 2 mates went through by car without tickets, we dropped one of my mates off to get tickets and we went to park the car. Ended up in the top tier of the Broomloan in amongst the sc*m but it was an absolute cracking game even though we lost.

Was definitely a Saturday, but it must've been in the dead of winter as I do remember it being pretty dark!

PaulC
24-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Was definitely a Saturday, but it must've been in the dead of winter as I do remember it being pretty dark!

Your absolutely right Steve-O, old age catching up with me :boo hoo:

Killiehibbie
24-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Who could forget the sight of a few dozen Hibs Boys clearing a very busy road of all huns outside the main stand one very cold winter day.

Just Jimmy
24-10-2009, 11:54 AM
The week of the McLeish defection, Donald Park sent a Hibs team out with the odds against them and got a draw. Luna put us up with a header and they made it 1-1. Leading 1-0 with chants of Judas whats the score.

backs to the wall that night.

obviously the cup game as well.

Keith_M
24-10-2009, 05:07 PM
14 or 15 years old stepping off the Artisan bus and some dirty hun b@ssa spitting in my face. Glasgow is miles better was the slogan at the time. AYE RIGHT!

Finally, another ex-Artisaner. :thumbsup:

I was beginning to think I'd imagined that bus for a while. Who was the wee guy that used to get stick for being a former Currant Bun? Oh and there was some song about his Burd (based on, would you believe, a Barry Manilow Tune).

Actually, I just realised that could have been you. In which case, apologies for all the slagging! :wink:

Toaods
24-10-2009, 05:13 PM

I'm sure it was he, who when playing with Clydebank went to Crazy Corner to take a corner kick and some tramp lobbed the remnants of a fish supper at him along with some verbal. Cooper smiled picked up the supper and picked out a chip....:faf:

Toaods
24-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Our recent wins there include

06/07 - 1-0 - SPL - Murphy (60)
05/06 - 3-0 - SC - GO, IS, CK
05/06 - 3-0 - SPL - IS
95/96 - 1-0 - SPL - Jackson p (63)
89/90 - 1-0 - PL - Houchen (60)
85/86 - 2-1 - PL - ?
84/85 - 2-1 - PL - Rice, Harris

Ian Munro scored a screamer for us to win there before that and Cropley too.

gringojoe
24-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Finally, another ex-Artisaner. :thumbsup:

I was beginning to think I'd imagined that bus for a while. Who was the wee guy that used to get stick for being a former Currant Bun? Oh and there was some song about his Burd (based on, would you believe, a Barry Manilow Tune).

Actually, I just realised that could have been you. In which case, apologies for all the slagging! :wink:

I promise I've never ever been a currant bun. Cant remember the guys name but the song was Lola! she had curly ginger hair and her tits hung everywhere or something like that:greengrin

Keith_M
24-10-2009, 05:42 PM
I promise I've never ever been a currant bun. Cant remember the guys name but the song was Lola! she had curly ginger hair and her tits hung everywhere or something like that:greengrin

OK, own up, who wrote the words. :wink:

"Her name was Lola,
she was a showgirl,
she had long and curly hair,
and her t*ts hung everywhere"

Most of the young guys on the bus were a good laugh. I think they all went to school together but were OK with strangers like me from Musselburgh. I remember Fairnie and Jed, but the names of the other guys around my age have vanished in the mists of time. Auld age, eh.. :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
24-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I also have a memory, cant remember the match or the score, but it would have been the 80's around November time and we had a few rows of seats in the main stand and someone in the enclosure fired a rocket up at the Hibs fans hitting the roof of the stand.

1987 or 88, but the flare was fired by Hibs.