PDA

View Full Version : Splitting the OF - reality check

EasterRoad4Ever
19-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Been a Hibby too many years to be taken in by all the hype about the OF being there for the taking, or us splitting them. As ever the best time to catch the OF is when they're guard is down. All the talk about Hibs playing attacking formations, Liam this, Riordan that, Hibs flyng etc will just get their dander up. 99/100 this can only mean one thing - we're in for a doing at Hunland at the weekend.

Would love to be proved wrong, but can count on one hand the number of times Hibs have gone up against either of the OF with any expectation and delivered a result. Sorry for the downer, but some need reminding this is Hibs we're talking about.

If I'm proven wrong, will gladly eat my :blah:

Sergey
19-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Been a Hibby too many years to be taken in by all the hype about the OF being there for the taking, or us splitting them. As ever the best time to catch the OF is when they're guard is down. All the talk about Hibs playing attacking formations, Liam this, Riordan that, Hibs flyng etc will just get their dander up. 99/100 this can only mean one thing - we're in for a doing at Hunland at the weekend.

Would love to be proved wrong, but can count on one hand the number of times Hibs have gone up against either of the OF with any expectation and delivered a result. Sorry for the downer, but some need reminding this is Hibs we're talking about.

Will you lay me 12/1 Hibs to win at Ibrox at the weekend?

bingo70
19-10-2009, 08:29 PM

:agree:

Absolutely, it's either one extreme or the other on this site this season, after we had a bad couple of results people were talking about wanting rid of yogi and now after a couple of good performances we're going to split the old firm?

Sas_The_Hibby
19-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Realistic post, but the bonus is that we've got nothing to lose this weekend. We've got something to play for but if we get beaten it's not the end of the world.

To have a realistic chance of making third we have to keep winning against the non-OF teams. Like ER4Ever, I'd love to split the OF but think we'll have our work cut out to make 3rd or 4th.

Sas_The_Hibby
19-10-2009, 08:33 PM
:agree:

Absolutely, it's either one extreme or the other on this site this season, after we had a bad couple of results people were talking about wanting rid of yogi and now after a couple of good performances we're going to split the old firm?

We could compromise by winning the league and THEN sacking Yogi! :greengrin

wazoo1875
19-10-2009, 08:51 PM
We could compromise by winning the league and THEN sacking Yogi! :greengrin

In true Real Madrid style :greengrin

matty_f
19-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I remember Mowbray taking his side to Ibrox when everyone fancied Hibs to turn them over, and Rangers dished out a lesson.

I think Mowbray's comments afterwards were something along the lines of "Rangers put us in our place today".

We are still too early in the season to say we have rid ourselves of the inconsistencies that generally hinder us, although there are signs that we are hitting a level fairly regularly now - whether we take that over the next 30-odd games remains to be seen.

Rangers are there for the taking, but as Celtc found out to their cost, Rangers are at their most dangerous when they're up against it.

DC_Hibs
19-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Have seen encouraging performances against Dundee Utd and Motherwell but not overly impressed with any other games considering the squad we have.

If we get 3rd or 4th it will be an improvement but with the players we have, we should really be looking to have 3rd place wrapped up early doors....especially if we bring a few quality additions in during January transfer window.

Celtc and Rangers are very poor this season but we have no chance of challenging them unfortunately.

Bide your time and once the next defeat comes, reality will set in and Hughes and certain players will be getting pelters again.

MB62
20-10-2009, 07:54 AM
I think you have to take all this 'splitting the OF talk' with a huge pinch of salt, it's just not going to happen over the course of a season, despite how bad these two are at the moment.
However, simply using the old tried and tested cliche of 'taking one game at a time' we are certainly capable of going to Greyskull on Saturday and taking the points, then, as Yogi rightly says, let's see where we are at Christmas before making any predictions.
Billy Dodds got it right on Sportscene last night when he said 'we should be serious contenders for 3rd spot' but forget the OF splitting thing.
IF we are still up there after the New Year fixtures, then we can re-assess our aims, but first up there's der hun on Saturday and that's all we should be looking forward to.
I have been impressed by our lads getting a result at Motherwell (I wasn't there so don't know how it all panned out) the first half in a howling gale against Dundee Utd and the 2nd half against Killie. We still, as yet, have to put a full 90mins together, so there's work still be done. We have an abundance of quality attackers/strikers but for me, they have not gelled properly yet and I would like to see them interchanging positions a bit more, attacking different areas of the box, e.g. taking a chance on near post runs rather than just having Stokes in the middle and Deeks standing at the back post, which seems to be the norm.

Overall for me though, I am enjoying watching the Hibees again after a depressing 2 or 3 years and if we can continue playing the way we are, I will continue going along and giving them my support, hopefully it will be good enough to have us up near the top end of the table and Europe come the seasons end.

Steve20
20-10-2009, 08:17 AM
I never understand this aim of splitting the Old Firm. They usually finish around the same points, so if you are aiming to split them then why not try to finish above them both?

Just for the record, I don't believe any team will be within 10 points of either of them at the end of the season.

Craig_in_Prague
20-10-2009, 08:23 AM
I never understand this aim of splitting the Old Firm. They usually finish around the same points, so if you are aiming to split them then why not try to finish above them both?

Just for the record, I don't believe any team will be within 10 points of either of them at the end of the season.

double or treble that.

PeeJay
20-10-2009, 08:24 AM
To have a realistic chance of making third we have to keep winning against the non-OF teams.

Exactly, you've hit the nail on the head - it's the bread-and-butter stuff we have to get right; we have to get our points at teams outwith the OF - that's vital for moving up the table. :agree:

Velma Dinkley
20-10-2009, 08:48 AM
We just have to keep plugging away really. We've got some great players and hopefully the gaffer will strengthen the defence in the next transfer window. Injuries may have a big part to play because I don't think any SPL clubs have particularly strong squads this season, including the Old Firm.

Ritchie
20-10-2009, 08:51 AM
i honestly couldnt give a hoot if we get pumped on saturday.... or even next saturday against the sheep.... aslong as we beat hearts on the 7th i'll be delighted!!! :agree:

camhibby1
20-10-2009, 09:38 AM
The players are up for this one and we have Riordan, Stokes, Miller and Murray who have all regularly (Deeks maybe not!) played on the big stage. I reckon the key to Saturday will be the form of Miller and Zemmama - they are the two who could really turn things on Saturday and get us the win. And if so who knows - reality check or not - I am prepared to stick my neck out and say we could go a long way this season and give the OF a really good run for their money (or none of it if Jim Traynor is right in today's Rantic). FWIW the points differential between 1st and 3rd this season will not be huge and I'm willing to bet we'll be in the top pack.

sam armstrong
20-10-2009, 09:52 AM

I am certain Rangers will use all this splitting the old firm talk as motivation on Saturday. I am not sure we can defend as a team well enough to win at Ibrox where Rangers are pretty formidable opponents. They are maybe not as good as some other Rangers teams but they still have some excellent players. You can never rule out Hibs though as we have goals in the team if we can get enough possession.

sambajustice
20-10-2009, 09:58 AM
We were in a better position than this under collins, top after 9 games wasn't it? I think we then went on about a 9 game "un-winning" streak and the season descended into mediocrity.

I'll start getting excited if we're 10 points or closer to the top 2 with 8 games to go.

TheBall'sRound
20-10-2009, 10:15 AM
We were in a better position than this under collins, top after 9 games wasn't it? I think we then went on about a 9 game "un-winning" streak and the season descended into mediocrity.

I'll start getting excited if we're 10 points or closer to the top 2 with 8 games to go.

I don't see what the hype is about league position at this stage and I won't be overly concerned if we're 20 points behind them with 8 games to go.

If Hibs consistently entertain, win at home and score goals then the foundation is laid for a decent time under Hughes. The last three games have been really encouraging, though usually only for 45 of the 90 minutes.

All I want is to leave Easter Road with a smile on my face. Everything else will come from that eventually. :thumbsup:

MB62
20-10-2009, 10:17 AM

If we are that close to them at that stage, I reckon 3rd spot will be just about in the bag :thumbsup:

EskbankHibby
20-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm just happy to see progress and good football again.

Early days in both Yogi's tenure and our season but i have been happy with the start of both.

We have had a couple of breaks but we have worked hard for them, i think we are looking good for 3rd or 4th but splitting the OF is unrealistic imo.

Who knows what might happen if we continue to progress over the next few seasons? We certainly have a stable financial base with which to build from and the right man at the helm in Yogi imo.

Certainly feels better being a Hibby this season that over the last 2 or 3.

Cropley10
20-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't see what the hype is about league position at this stage and I won't be overly concerned if we're 20 points behind them with 8 games to go.

If Hibs consistently entertain, win at home and score goals then the foundation is laid for a decent time under Hughes. The last three games have been really encouraging, though usually only for 45 of the 90 minutes.

All I want is to leave Easter Road with a smile on my face. Everything else will come from that eventually. :thumbsup:

:agree: 100%

I think the whole Club is moving in the right direction.

GGTTH!

sambajustice
20-10-2009, 10:24 AM
If we are that close to them at that stage, I reckon 3rd spot will be just about in the bag :thumbsup:

Thats why I'll be excited! :greengrin:greengrin

Woody1985
20-10-2009, 10:29 AM
If anyone suggests splitting the OF again the should be shot in the ****ing heid at point blank range.

WTF is the point of making it your goal to split the OF? They finished two points apart last season. What's the point in aiming to come second when an extra point or two can win the league in most seasons.

Do people suggest it so they don't sounds as ****ing stupid as saying 'We can win the league this season'?

I said that same thing when those ****** Jambos were going on about it at the start of the season.

You either aim to win the league or come third. :grr::grr::grr:

mim
20-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Spot on. :agree:

Let's never lose sight of the fact that the game is about enjoyment. Being entertained and hopefully winning is where it's at.

I've left ER after a win and wished I hadn't bothered going (the 2-0 win against St Mirren last season for example).

I've left after drawing a game we should have won, but still been highly entertained (will anyone ever forget that 4-4 draw with Dundee a few years back?).

I can't remember having a smile on my face after a defeat, but I've often walked down St Clair Street after a defeat still very much looking forward to the next game.

If I pay my cash and get my money's worth, the next game can't come soon enough and that will always do for me. :thumbsup:

wazoo1875
20-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Spot on. :agree:

Let's never lose sight of the fact that the game is about enjoyment. Being entertained and hopefully winning is where it's at.

I've left ER after a win and wished I hadn't bothered going (the 2-0 win against St Mirren last season for example).

I've left after drawing a game we should have won, but still been highly entertained (will anyone ever forget that 4-4 draw with Dundee a few years back?).

I can't remember having a smile on my face after a defeat, but I've often walked down St Clair Street after a defeat still very much looking forward to the next game.

If I pay my cash and get my money's worth, the next game can't come soon enough and that will always do for me. :thumbsup:

Good post and my feelings are the same . Too many times in the last couple of years i've pitched up to Easter Road thinking it was more of a chore to be there than anything else . If it wasn't for getting a couple of pints of pints with some good mates , i probably wouldn't have bothered . Even though i have had a season ticket for years.

Heraghty's
20-10-2009, 11:00 AM
But what if Rangers go into Administration? :agree:
Will they be docked 10pts . . . or demoted to the Third Division like Livingston? :greengrin

Donald Muir, the new Director at Rangers -- almost certainly appointed by Lloyds -- is only brought in when a company is on the verge of going over the cliff.
He did a decent job at JJB and Northern Rock, but the Murray empire is a whole different kettle of stinking fish. :bye:

No matter what happens, Rangers will be losing players and coaching staff in January. And Celtic are no great shakes under Mowbray.
This is a REAL chance for the Hibees to do something special. :thumbsup:

Gerard
20-10-2009, 11:14 AM
If the club can get into Europe and make money it will help to pay for the new stand. I suspect that if we are still doing well in January then we may see the club aquiring one or two quality players to keep uo the challenge to the 'OF'
Gerard