PDA

View Full Version : Question: Ralph Callaghan

Malthibby
19-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Anyone know where Hibby/Hearty Ralph is these days?
Someone is keen to catch up with him, but knows nowt about his whereabouts since his taxi driving days.
GG

sauzee
19-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Someone is keen to catch up with him, but knows nowt about his whereabouts since his taxi driving days.
GG

i'm sure he's in the former players club on matchdays,attends the games with jackie mac.

mim
19-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Usually to be found in the FF.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Has he still got the Sportsmans in Musselburgh wi Jackie McN?

MUSSI LEE
19-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Has he still got the Sportsmans in Musselburgh wi Jackie McN?nah m8 place is **** since they sold it

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-10-2009, 07:37 PM
nah m8 place is **** since they sold it

Thats disappointing

hiberactive
19-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Usually in the Four in Hand after home games.

Ghaax
19-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Far end of the main bar in the 4 in hand pre and postmatch.

Mind you - may have been driven oot by Kano by now! :blah:

Aubenas
19-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Goes to games with Jackie Mac, lives in Corstorphine, drives minibus for RBS at Gogar. It's Callachan, by the way, and he was magic!:thumbsup:

monktonharp
19-10-2009, 11:53 PM
not a bad lad,is big Ralph. turned up on request,for our supporters branch dance a couple of years ago,chatted all night on fitba' matters

Phil D. Rolls
20-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Have the Yams ever forgiven him?

CropleyWasGod
20-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Goes to games with Jackie Mac, lives in Corstorphine, drives minibus for RBS at Gogar. It's Callachan, by the way, and he was magic!:thumbsup:

IIRC, he had a regular party trick of passing back to the keeper at least once during a match, sometimes from the most outrageous of positions. I was reminded of this at the weekend when Liam Miller did the same in the first half; very clever, but heart-stopping at the same time.

Also scored the best goal I have ever seen by a Hibby at ER.

gringojoe
20-10-2009, 09:52 AM
IIRC, he had a regular party trick of passing back to the keeper at least once during a match, sometimes from the most outrageous of positions. I was reminded of this at the weekend when Liam Miller did the same in the first half; very clever, but heart-stopping at the same time.

Also scored the best goal I have ever seen by a Hibby at ER.

Against Dundee by any chance?

CropleyWasGod
20-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Against Dundee by any chance?

Indeed. Beat 17 players on a mazy dribble that started from behind the old Dunbar terracing and ended up with him nutmegging the keeper 5 times.

I think. :greengrin

gringojoe
20-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Indeed. Beat 17 players on a mazy dribble that started from behind the old Dunbar terracing and ended up with him nutmegging the keeper 5 times.

It was a cracker:greengrin

marti1875
20-10-2009, 11:26 AM
He def still does some work for a company called Airportcarz who have now sort of merged (or been taken over) by Flights Group based within the grounds of Edinburgh Airport. Used to work for the RBS Gogarburn as it was Airportcarz who had the contract but that's now with the black cab company, Central wo have bought silver ppl carriers to transport the staff. He did do some work for them at 1st i think so not sure if he works between Central and Flights group.
Scott Crabbe also done/does the same thing....uurrgghh......just the mention of that name......

Alex B
20-10-2009, 11:42 AM

I remember it well. 1979/80 season. We scored five that day and I mind thinking everything was going to be OK after a worryingly poor start to the season. Sadly it didn't turn out that way and we got relegated!

JohnnyHibby
20-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Great guy.

Bumped into him a few years ago when he and his wife were walking to their car, happily stood and chatted to me about his playing days. Was willing to spend time when he was going somewere.

Mag7
20-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I remember it well. 1979/80 season. We scored five that day and I mind thinking everything was going to be OK after a worryingly poor start to the season. Sadly it didn't turn out that way and we got relegated!

You're right. Seems a long time ago now but I can remember it pretty clearly too. I recall the Gilzean cartoon which used to appear on the back of the Evening News on a Monday pictured virtually the whole Dundee team on their knees in Callachan's wake.

Thing about those days is that despite the fact it was a miserable season overall, I now recall parts of it with some nostalgia (getting old I guess). We had the arrival of George Best plus IIRC correctly a pretty thrilling 2-1 win over Rangers (Tony Higgins grabbing the winner I think). By the end of the season though, we were a sad sight. Got gubbed 5-0 in the Scottish Cup semi by Celtic (we'd been in the final just a year previously) and Aberdeen won by the same margin at Easter Road to clinch the title on the last day of the season.

Andy74
20-10-2009, 03:07 PM
He def still does some work for a company called Airportcarz who have now sort of merged (or been taken over) by Flights Group based within the grounds of Edinburgh Airport. Used to work for the RBS Gogarburn as it was Airportcarz who had the contract but that's now with the black cab company, Central wo have bought silver ppl carriers to transport the staff. He did do some work for them at 1st i think so not sure if he works between Central and Flights group.
Scott Crabbe also done/does the same thing....uurrgghh......just the mention of that name......

Yep, Scott Crabbe carrying my bags and calling me Sir always felt good I must admit.

Malthibby
20-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Cheers, folks, that's just about everything apart from whether he dresses to the left or right.
Much obliged.
GG

surreyhibbie
20-10-2009, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=Mag7;2211356]You're right. Seems a long time ago now but I can remember it pretty clearly too. I recall the Gilzean cartoon which used to appear on the back of the Evening News on a Monday pictured virtually the whole Dundee team on their knees in Callachan's wake.

QUOTE]

I remember the report the next day saying it was the goal of the season. And last season. And next season too.

Wisny there:boo hoo:

Berwickhibby
21-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Ralph and Jackie Mac will be guests at the Berwick and District Burns Night on 30.01.10 :thumbsup:

Hibs Spain
21-10-2009, 10:38 AM
GGI saw him driving a courtesy coach at the airport a few weeks ago.. Can't remember the name on the coach.

Malthibby
21-10-2009, 08:14 PM
/Users/garycopland/Downloads/ralph.jpg
This is the one
GG

Malthibby
21-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Okay, Mr. IT I'm not.
Anyone care enough to tell me how to put a jpg of the Gilzean photy onto here?

Danderhall Hibs
21-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Click on attachments (the wee paperclip) in the reply window, select jpg and paste that link in your previous post in.

Malthibby
22-10-2009, 04:43 PM
http://www.hibs.net/message/attachment.php?attachmentid=5109&stc=1&d=1256229250

?
I think I need my slate & chalk back.

HibbyAndy
22-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Yep, Scott Crabbe carrying my bags and calling me Sir always felt good I must admit.

Should have said 'Awrite Crabbo, whats it like to be a Jambo and NEVER have scored in a Derby?'.

I asked him the same question at Braids golfcourse many years ago, he took his ( what i can only guess) looked liked a 3 iron out his bag, so i brought out my 3 wood. was ready to trade clubs with the Hearts ****!

weecounty hibby
22-10-2009, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=Malthibby;2213631]http://www.hibs.net/message/attachment.php?attachmentid=5109&stc=1&d=1256229250

Interesting to see them calling Ally McLeod "the master", one of my all time heroes and a guy who never gets the credit he deserves for how good a player he was for us.

fatbloke
22-10-2009, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=Mag7;2211356]You're right. Seems a long time ago now but I can remember it pretty clearly too. I recall the Gilzean cartoon which used to appear on the back of the Evening News on a Monday pictured virtually the whole Dundee team on their knees in Callachan's wake.

QUOTE]

I remember the report the next day saying it was the goal of the season. And last season. And next season too.

Wisny there:boo hoo:

Wur ye no burgling some hoose in Wimpey that day!

also how come your only 51 an I am 53 in December - was i kept back a year, IIRC your brthday is in Jan?

CropleyWasGod
23-10-2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.hibs.net/message/attachment.php?attachmentid=5109&stc=1&d=1256229250

?
I think I need my slate & chalk back.

Is it my memory? I thought it was 5-2?

Mag7
23-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Should have said 'Awrite Crabbo, whats it like to be a Jambo and NEVER have scored in a Derby?'.

I asked him the same question at Braids golfcourse many years ago, he took his ( what i can only guess) looked liked a 3 iron out his bag, so i brought out my 3 wood. was ready to trade clubs with the Hearts ****!

I may be wrong, but I have it in my mind that he never scored against Hibs full stop. Think he played for Dundee Utd and Falkirk after Hearts and never broke his duck. I certainly remember him missing a penalty for Falkirk at ER in the First Division.

Broken Gnome
23-10-2009, 09:40 AM
I may be wrong, but I have it in my mind that he never scored against Hibs full stop. Think he played for Dundee Utd and Falkirk after Hearts and never broke his duck. I certainly remember him missing a penalty for Falkirk at ER in the First Division.

Scottish Division 1 - KO 15:00
Hibernian 2 (1) - 1(0) Falkirk
Sauzee 45 Crabbe 71
Hartley 47

It was a cracker as well. I actually remember Hibs fans applauding it, I presume his identity was a mystery to those that did.

gringojoe
23-10-2009, 10:01 AM

I thought it was 5-2 as well.

andudare2
23-10-2009, 01:48 PM
ralph,s one of the good guy,s. kent him all my puff. played in the same boy,s club team together before he went to tynie. still see him most matches i go to, never dingie,s you.

clerriehibs
23-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Wasn't he the original "he used to be a jambo but he's alright now"?

andudare2
23-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Wasn't he the original "he used to be a jambo but he's alright now"?might have played for the vermin mate but ralph was/is alway.s a hibby.

Hiber-nation
23-10-2009, 06:43 PM

The cartoon says that we lost an early o.g so its a bit strange.

Anyway I'll never forget Ralphie's goal - sensational. And a great lad.

Luna_Asylum
23-10-2009, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=Malthibby;2213631]http://www.hibs.net/message/attachment.php?attachmentid=5109&stc=1&d=1256229250

Interesting to see them calling Ally McLeod "the master", one of my all time heroes and a guy who never gets the credit he deserves for how good a player he was for us.

now thats a guy who deserves a thread all of his own

one of my heroes too

clerriehibs
23-10-2009, 08:00 PM
might have played for the vermin mate but ralph was/is alway.s a hibby.

He definitely did ... which was the point of the song, and the comment. I think most folk of a certain age are well aware that ralphie was always a hibby.

H18sry
31-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Spoke to Ralph today whilst walking along Albion Rd, and made him aware of this thread :greengrin

Hibs Class
31-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I've got a vague recollection of him scoring a goal and knocking himself out in the process, possibly getting carried off?