PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better Scottish left back than Ian Murray?

MB62
19-10-2009, 02:51 PM
George Burley tried to dig up some Scottish connection to get the lad Fox from Celtc into the squad for the recent game against Japan. When that fell through due to injury, he probably rightly went to Lee Wallace and the laddie done well.
However, IMO, there is not a better, more reliable Scottish left back than our very own Ian Murray, the man simply does not have bad games and still manages to get up and down his line to support Deeks in the overlap.

The Scotland manager could do a lot worse than give Ian another chance in there against Wales in the next friendly.

Andy74
19-10-2009, 02:57 PM
George Burley tried to dig up some Scottish connection to get the lad Fox from Celtc into the squad for the recent game against Japan. When that fell through due to injury, he probably rightly went to Lee Wallace and the laddie done well.
However, IMO, there is not a better, more reliable Scottish left back than our very own Ian Murray, the man simply does not have bad games and still manages to get up and down his line to support Deeks in the overlap.

The Scotland manager could do a lot worse than give Ian another chance in there against Wales in the next friendly.

I think you've answered your own question!

Wallace is probably better just now and its a pity Ian has maybe lost that yard of pace that he didn't really have to lose in the first place!

basehibby
19-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I think Murray is a quality player with past experience as an international LB and as such he should certainly be considered an option by Burley - certainly ahead of the likes of Davidson and Alexander anyway.
re Wallace - he's defo one for the future and should be in there as well.
re Fox - I don't know anything about him TBH - obviously selected first and foremost on the "plays for the OF so must be awright" line of mythology - jury still out as far as I'm concerned.

Broken Gnome
19-10-2009, 03:24 PM
HIBS defender Ian Murray reckons his Scotland career is over after being overlooked for a recall in what has effectively become a Scotland B squad.

The 28-year-old Easter Road star won the last of his six caps against Japan in the 2006 Kirin Cup encounter and with 10 call-offs to George Burley's side this week Murray held out the hope of a return visit.

But he said: "I think my chances of international football might have gone after this week.

"Anyone who is not in this Scotland squad will never get there with so many call-offs.

"I have played with Scotland and it was a great experience but I'm 28 now and if you are not there or thereabouts by that age then I think your time is over."

He knows it himself....

Cabbage East
19-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Obviously Fox is a better player, otherwise he wouldn't have been called up despite playing just 8 games for Celtic..... :rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
19-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Obviously Fox is a better player, otherwise he wouldn't have been called up despite playing just 8 games for Celtic..... :rolleyes:

Yes but remember because he plays for Glsgw Cltc he has that winning mentality - Cltc have won as many as five out of their eight league games, whereas Ian Murray plays only for Hibs, who've won just five out of their eight. :agree:

dhmf
19-10-2009, 10:11 PM
i rate mulgrew at the dons, may not be the best defender but is improving and is great going forward

matty_f
19-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't think Murray is the best Scottish left back at the moment, but he's not that far from it, and he's definitely the best left back at Hibs, IMHO.

Cocaine&Caviar
19-10-2009, 10:22 PM
he's definitely the best left back at Hibs, IMHO.

Id also say hes the best RB in the squad, or the best DM, or perhaps even the best CB...

Frazerbob
19-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Murray has played well below his usual standard so far this season? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's playing at LB as he is the best we have at the club just now but think he is better in midfield (if that makes sense). As has been said, he seems to have lost a yard of pace and seems strangely nervous on the ball the last few games. Pretty sure he'll be back to his best before long though!

To answer the question, I think Mulgrew, Wallace and Fox have all been playing better than Murray this season......so far.

EVENTUALLY
20-10-2009, 09:15 AM
I would be willing to bet that a poll of SPL Right Wingers would probably confirm that they would prefer to play against any other left back instead of Ian Murray. IM is an experienced tough cookie and very committed every time he takes to the field who makes sure his opponent knows that he is there.

MB62
20-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I would be willing to bet that a poll of SPL Right Wingers would probably confirm that they would prefer to play against any other left back instead of Ian Murray. IM is an experienced tough cookie and very committed every time he takes to the field who makes sure his opponent knows that he is there.

:agree: 100%

Joe Baker II
20-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Naysmith arguably better although he plays other positions some times.

Murray has certainly been better than Fox from what I have seen (although apparently Fox has had some decent games when minimal tv coverage) - agree about Mulgrew though.

IWasThere2016
20-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I think IM is a better CH than LB

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Murray is a good defender, he gives us virtually nothing going forward from full back. He does drive forward well, but his crossing is poor. Yes a good defender, but the best available for scotland, no. I'd rather he kept himself fit for Hibs.:wink:

Wilson
20-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Well said Ian :wink::devil:

Dalkeith Hibee
20-10-2009, 03:51 PM
What pissed me off the most about the Japan game was that after all the call-offs we ended up with only 1 natural centre midfielder in Stephen Hughes.

Murray had played a large amount of Hibs career in centre midfield where I feel he has been the most impressive so I feel he would have done a job in there.

I thought he was spot on in what he said in the paper and if I was him I personally wouldnt play for Burley.....the man's an idiot.

In my eyes he is also still and forever will be a jambo ******* and Im not ashamed to say that for that reason I cant really stand him.

McD
20-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Im happy having ian at either left back or centre half, prob doesnt have the pace for centre mid now, and wouldnt displace miller or mcbride.

Also reckon that we have a real gem in callum booth, he looks like he'll be a star.

millarco
20-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Whittaker, Fox, Dixon, Mulgrew and Wallace are all better options than Murray IMO. As blackpoolhibs says, give him the international weeks to rest his legs.

MB62
21-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Whittaker, Fox, Dixon, Mulgrew and Wallace are all better options than Murray IMO. As blackpoolhibs says, give him the international weeks to rest his legs.

Personally, I am delighted at the form of Ian Murray at left back and I wouldn't swap any of the above mentioned for him. He probably does need to improve on his final ball into the box in an attacking sense but this man just doesn't have bad games and he'll do for me. :thumbsup:

jodjam
21-10-2009, 09:41 AM
i think Ian Murray is a cracking player and always have a soft spot for him as he was captain the day my eldest was mascot but I reckon Lee Wallace would get the nod for me as far as LB's go.

Mickey Edwards
21-10-2009, 10:04 AM
prob not the best Scottish LB at the mo but would be a different prospect for international selection once he is referred to as the ever-present LB in the great 2009/2010 Hibs title-winning side.

:flag:

ahibby
21-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Hibs raised IM as a left back, occassionally playing him in left midfield at the start. Left back is for me his natural and best position. I can hardly find any fault with the way he has played the position during the last few games. Especially when you consider that DR plays in front of him at left midfield and DR isn't well known for his defensive qualities. Having said that I think that DR has been nothing short of sensational in our last three or four games. IM for left back for me, never a CB and we should make sure we have cover for that position so as not to rely on IM and take him away from what I believe is his natural and best position. 10/10 for IM and DR by the way (and everyone else in our starting eleven which seems to be settled now).

rubber mal
21-10-2009, 09:47 PM
In a word, no.

HibbyAndy
21-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Ian Murray is a tremendous LB.

And i take great pleasure in saying so in the knowledge that a few hibbies ( on here ) stated time after time IM cant play LB

:cool2::agree:

PISTOL1875
21-10-2009, 10:08 PM

1. Lee Wallace..
2. Charlie Mulgrew..

Billychaotic182
22-10-2009, 10:39 AM
1. Lee Wallace..
2. Charlie Mulgrew..

I Alway buy him on FM lol

MB62
29-10-2009, 09:43 AM
To answer the question, I think Mulgrew, Wallace and Fox have all been playing better than Murray this season......so far.

Scratch one player from Murray's competition.
Fox was useless against the Yams last night and oor Ian has nothing to worry about there.

Dunbar Hibee
29-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Lee Wallace - Overrated. Granted he's improved this season but I still don't rate him.

Charlie Mulgrew - Decent free kick on him thats about all i've seen from him.

Daniel Fox - From what i've seen this guy is absolute pish. Gives the ball away far too much and is pretty slow.

Ian Murray - Commited, hardworking and determined to the job. I'd sum him up as Diehard.

I may be looking through my Green and White tinted shades of course.:wink:

Andy74
29-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Lee Wallace - Overrated. Granted he's improved this season but I still don't rate him.

Daniel Fox - From what i've seen this guy is absolute pish. Gives the ball away far too much and is pretty slow.

Ian Murray - Commited, hardworking and determined to the job. I'd sum him up as Diehard.

The view of the Aberdeen fans is that Mulgrew is crap, apart from free kicks.

I can only assume its for the free kicks that people keep adding him to these sort of lists and not his overall ability as a left back.

Billychaotic182
29-10-2009, 03:43 PM
The view of the Aberdeen fans is that Mulgrew is crap, apart from free kicks.

I can only assume its for the free kicks that people keep adding him to these sort of lists and not his overall ability as a left back.

thats Bull sh*t mate

I live in aberdeen and all the fans that i know love the guy and talk about him as if he was a god at left back.

sean
29-10-2009, 04:15 PM

think just a touch green tinted shades.

i would suggest lee wallace from the games i have seen should be the next scotland left back.

dont get me wrong ian murray is a terrific player and would be my captain every day of the week,but he is not the best left back in the land,although he is better than most i have seen.

mulgrew has a decent cross and free kick,havent seen enough of him to judge his defensive abilitys.

as for fox,havent seen enough although i suspect he is like mulgrew and delieverys a decent final ball

VegasHibby
29-10-2009, 06:10 PM

Possibly not. Murray has been playing very well all season.

NOLA
30-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Shotgun is looking better as a player every week he plays, if he was with us we'd be well chuffed IMO

rainman
30-10-2009, 01:43 AM
When i see threads like this, I think of the boy Hamill at Motherwell. The guy Collins "took a stand' over and left the club. Not even quoted on threads like this.

Well done Rod! :thumbsup: