PDA

View Full Version : How's the keeper doing?

Alicky Ranks
19-10-2009, 12:55 PM
I noticed Stack came in for some criticism on here early on, but I just wondered if those who get to the games think he's settled in a bit? Not conceding many goals, so I'd be happy to think we've finally found a reasonably solid keeper.

YehButNoBut
19-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I noticed Stack came in for some criticism on here early on, but I just wondered if those who get to the games think he's settled in a bit? Not conceding many goals, so I'd be happy to think we've finally found a reasonably solid keeper.

He's done ok so far but we'll have a better idea after the next 3 games.

Franck Stanton
19-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Still not the answer in my opinion, good reaction keeper but doesn't command his area and looks poor at cross balls. Appears to be glued to his line as well. Think we aren't conceeding as many down to having a better/more settled back four and the performance of the team in general.
Just my opinion - doesn't make it right though.

martin63
19-10-2009, 01:28 PM
As has already been said I don't think he is commanding enough in the box,but,having said that I thought he looked a lot better on Saturday than I have seen him so far this season. His reactions for rebounding balls etc is terrific and I also thought his quick recycling of the ball was a great improvement on the past.
Would still love to see Maka given another chance to see how he has improved (or not as the case may be).

Hank Schrader
19-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Hibs Pain hasn't been around for a few weeks now so he must be doing okay.

matty_f
19-10-2009, 01:43 PM
IMHO, Stack hasn't done much wrong. The goals we've lost he could do little about, and he's made some important saves along the way. Definitely looks to be getting more comfortable with the defence now that we've had the same back four for a few weeks.

NB Hibby
19-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Are you talking about Dracula Stack?:rolleyes:

Cropley10
19-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Stack looked OK on Saturday I thought - helped by the fact that he didn't actually have a save to make.

His kick outs though seemed to find a lot of Killie players...

Onceinawhile
19-10-2009, 04:12 PM
I can't help but feel that Stack gets more stick than he deserves due to the fact he plays in goal for Hibs. He hasn't been at fault for any of the goals, but some people on here can't accept that some goals aren't always stoppable.

H18sry
19-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Stack looked OK on Saturday I thought - helped by the fact that he didn't actually have a save to make.

He made an important save after 4 minutes at his near post to keep the score level :agree:

Chuckie
19-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Steadied the ship.

Better than Maka.

Keeps the jersey.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Worth his place purely on the way he organizes the defence.

500miles
19-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Stack seems to have a growing understanding with his CH's. This means that he may not be required to come off his line. Keep in mind, when Sauzee was at Hibs, Nick Colgan looked a fairly good keeper - simply because Sauzee had the defence organised to suit his keeper. The defense is organising itself with Stack in mind.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Stack seems to have a growing understanding with his CH's. This means that he may not be required to come off his line. Keep in mind, when Sauzee was at Hibs, Nick Colgan looked a fairly good keeper - simply because Sauzee had the defence organised to suit his keeper. The defense is organising itself with Stack in mind.

I think its the other way round. He never stops shouting at the defence, telling them what to do.

ancient hibee
19-10-2009, 05:23 PM
He hasn't played many games over the last 4 seasons-sure he'll continue to improve with a longer run in the team.

500miles
19-10-2009, 05:28 PM
I think its the other way round. He never stops shouting at the defence, telling them what to do.

It's very much a two way thing. Colgan was also in his defences ear enough.

TornadoHibby
19-10-2009, 05:28 PM

If people were honest, Stack has had next to nothing to do in most of the games he has played so far but he has still managed to make aspects of his game matters of concern for at least some of the fans, myself included! :agree:

He seems to be a "jack the lad" kind of personality and has already made himself the "social convener" thereby now being a central organiser of events that many of our first teamers will doubtless be delighted to attend! :cool2:

Without wishing to appear to "judge", Maka is not the same kind of forceful personality and may not perhaps be as popular with fans or players as a result, but that doesn't make him a bad keeper IMO as some of the Stack "fans" suggest! For example, Edwin Van Der Sar is a quiet and unassuming sort of guy but has proved over a long period of time to be an absolute top keeper! :agree:

Let's see how Stack performs over the next three games (assuming he plays rather than Maka) where it might well be the case that he gets some more action than, for example, he got on Saturday past! :wink:

TornadoHibby
19-10-2009, 05:31 PM

How the heck do you know that? :cool2:

You must have still been at primary school when Colgan (who also didn't like coming for crosses - anyone remember the Celtic game at Parkhead where we lost 3 goals in the first half from crosses? :confused:) played at Hibs! :wink:

Hibs90
19-10-2009, 05:36 PM
He's impressed me a bit more, but Maka is a better keeper by a million miles.

blackpoolhibs
19-10-2009, 05:37 PM

I dont see it as much, it seems to me much more stack who is giving the orders out.

Bostonhibby
19-10-2009, 05:57 PM
IMHO, Stack hasn't done much wrong. The goals we've lost he could do little about, and he's made some important saves along the way. Definitely looks to be getting more comfortable with the defence now that we've had the same back four for a few weeks.

:agree: I just don't have the feeling there is an absolute howler going to happen at a key stage, nor do I feel the defence look as edgy as with the previous keepers, there may well be a mistake along the way but the basics look right here.

Winston Ingram
19-10-2009, 06:00 PM

Apart from the 1 at point blank range from Salmon in the 1st couple of minutes:agree:

Dashing Bob S
19-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Count Stackula's faults have been documented, but he hasn't really done much wrong.

RoYO!
19-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Still not the answer in my opinion, good reaction keeper but doesn't command his area and looks poor at cross balls. Appears to be glued to his line as well. Think we aren't conceeding as many down to having a better/more settled back four and the performance of the team in general.
Just my opinion - doesn't make it right though.

i agree with a lot of what you say, though if he's not good at coming for cross balls id rather he stayed on his line and used his reactions, which, as you say are v good.

i also think that to get a really consistent defence you cant go changing all the time, the goalie is absolutely key to the def and the defenders need to know innately how their keeper is going to deal with things. This is currently an understanding that is developing.

think he'll be in for a while yet, though the next three are big games.

Chuckie
19-10-2009, 06:08 PM
He's impressed me a bit more, but Maka is a better keeper by a million miles.

No he is not.

He has bags of abiliy and potential but he brings uncertainty and confusion to our back line. The defence don't trust him, the fans don't trust him, and most importanly he doesn't trust himself.

He will be a great keeper some day if he keeps working hard, and matures in the correct way.