PDA

View Full Version : The West Awakes!

MB62
19-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Benji might have scored the goal to win us the thre points on Saturday, but without doubt, it was the singers of the West Stand Upper North who gave the team the support they needed to go on and win the game.
For about an hour, it looked like everybody in the East, the self proclaimed 'singing section' had been doped up and put to sleep as there was hardly even a murmer of discontentment coming from in there.
All this debate about a new stand taking away the atmosphere of the East was shot down in flames in one afternoon. Fortunately, there was enough of us in WSNU to waken everybody up to generate the support the team required, and it was this support, IMO, that won the penalty for the lads.

Waken up you folks over the in the East, the team needs your backing in EVERY game, not just against the OF and Yams.

Well done to the WSNU singers :thumbsup:

Sas_The_Hibby
19-10-2009, 09:43 AM
My memory of games in the sixties and seventies (seen through the mists of time but still....) is of a lot of noise coming from the old main stand 'upper' - the 'lower' was standing enclosure - to start up chants. A lot of feet stamping on the old wooden boards, lucky the whole thing didn't collapse, TBH. :shocked:

Ravelston Hibby
19-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Benji might have scored the goal to win us the thre points on Saturday, but without doubt, it was the singers of the West Stand Upper North who gave the team the support they needed to go on and win the game.
For about an hour, it looked like everybody in the East, the self proclaimed 'singing section' had been doped up and put to sleep as there was hardly even a murmer of discontentment coming from in there.
All this debate about a new stand taking away the atmosphere of the East was shot down in flames in one afternoon. Fortunately, there was enough of us in WSNU to waken everybody up to generate the support the team required, and it was this support, IMO, that won the penalty for the lads.

Waken up you folks over the in the East, the team needs your backing in EVERY game, not just against the OF and Yams.

Cheers Burnsie! :thumbsup:

:singing: "Cheer up Jimmy Jeffries.........!" :singing::partyhibb

lapsedhibee
19-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Fortunately, there was enough of us in WSNU to waken everybody up to generate the support the team required, and it was this support, IMO, that won the penalty for the lads.

That's some combined vocal strength and skill you've got, to make a fully grown man fall over towards you.

Jack
19-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I’ve got a season ticket in the East but have sat in the West a couple of times this season.

I was surprised when I was in the West how little I could hear the East, and that wasn’t because of the noise the West made, as when I’m there more often than not there's at least one wee bunch of folk singing or shouting something. The same goes for in the East hearing, or rather not hearing, singing from the West.

I think the only place, except on huge occasions, singing from the separate stands is going to be heard above a mumble is by the players on the pitch.

If you thought the West did well on Saturday, good on them. :agree:

So East, West, FF it doesn’t matter, just gie it laldy for the team!

Special note to the FF. I still think more effort could be given to heckling opposition goalkeepers.

greenlex
19-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Special note to the FF. I still think more effort could be given to heckling opposition goalkeepers.

nae spittal though.

HibsNibs
19-10-2009, 09:59 AM
My memory of games in the sixties and seventies (seen through the mists of time but still....) is of a lot of noise coming from the old main stand 'upper' - the 'lower' was standing enclosure - to start up chants. A lot of feet stamping on the old wooden boards, lucky the whole thing didn't collapse, TBH. :shocked:

AKA the Wing stand - 'HIBEES boom boom boom'

Hibbyradge
19-10-2009, 10:08 AM
That's some combined vocal strength and skill you've got, to make a fully grown man fall over towards you.

We are good. :agree:

MB62
19-10-2009, 10:11 AM

AKA the Wing stand - 'HIBEES boom boom boom'

Aye, those were the days, and I still miss them today. The North Stand was THE place to be in those days.

MB62
19-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Jumbo Jim commented on the shouts for a penalty from several thousand Hibs fans that swayed the refs decision. Thanks goodness we woke the East Stand up in time :wink: :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
19-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Aye, those were the days, and I still miss them today. The North Stand was THE place to be in those days.

"HIBEES clap clap clap..." was heard by me in West Lower on Saturday :thumbsup: Not the same without the wooden floor though.

MoantheCabbage
19-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I was in the east on Sat and never heard a thing from both stands to be honest

MB62
19-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I was in the east on Sat and never heard a thing from both stands to be honest

You must have been one of the 'Easter's' that were in a deep sleep :wink: :duck:

villager
19-10-2009, 11:26 AM
east v west :yawn:

basehibby
19-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Whether the west or the east or anywhere else, any fans contributing to the atmosphere should be encouraged and applauded. I usually sit/stand in the East as there's usually more songs sung there - personally I think because the punters feel less inhibited there. But there are definately some games when it feels like the whole support is suffering from the collective hangover from hell as barely a soul will make an effort to make any noise.
The team on the park and what they do obviously makes a difference but it's also down to feeling comfortable about bawling your heid off or singing songs and that is partly down to the environment you're sitting in. For instance, it doesn't matter how bombastic you are about it, if you are the only person in a 10 yard radius singing songs amidst a background of tutting and rustling prawn sandwich wrappers, you will not keep it up for very long.
So, for that reason I totally applaud those in the West Stand Upper North for collectively making some racket on Saturday - long may the revival continue - keep it up and hopefully your enthusiasm will spread and before long the West as a whole will shame us EastStandites into making more noise as well. :thumbsup:

PiemanP
19-10-2009, 11:34 AM

eh? lets be honest the west stand has all the atmosphere of a funeral :rolleyes: I've sat there and i hated every bit of it.

Try standing up and belting out a song and people look at you as if you are a jakey with 3 heads.

Yes the east made very little noise for most of the game, (although was bouncing when the goal went in) but what other songs do the west sing apart from their customary once a game 'hibees clap clap clap'

I appreciate that not everyone goes to games to sing, but dont try to say that the west is where the atmosphere is, because its not.

BroxburnHibee
19-10-2009, 01:22 PM
eh? lets be honest the west stand has all the atmosphere of a funeral :rolleyes: I've sat there and i hated every bit of it.

Try standing up and belting out a song and people look at you as if you are a jakey with 3 heads.

Yes the east made very little noise for most of the game, (although was bouncing when the goal went in) but what other songs do the west sing apart from their customary once a game 'hibees clap clap clap'

I appreciate that not everyone goes to games to sing, but dont try to say that the west is where the atmosphere is, because its not.

IT IS.............you easties are pish :greengrin

MB62
19-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Never attempted to say that, merely pointing out that this whole scene about a new stand would lose the atmosphere is nonsense. It is the fans in the stands that make the atmosphere and on Saturday it was the support (well some of us anyway) in the WSNU who woke up the East support from their slumber. Ok, it might well just be the usual 'Hibees' but it had the desired affect and I think the support contributed greatly to the ultimate result on Saturday, especially on the shout for the penalty. :thumbsup:

Elephant Stone
19-10-2009, 02:16 PM
The East has seemed pretty quiet all season. Are the 'Capital Greens' still resident there, or are they no more?

iwasthere1972
19-10-2009, 02:20 PM
The East has seemed pretty quiet all season. Are the 'Capital Greens' still resident there, or are they no more?

As in the words of the Proclaimers.

:singing: Capital Greens no more. :singing:

Rory89
19-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Did the people in the west stand sing a song?

***** me anything's achievable now, we'll probably win the Scottish Cup this year now.

Joe Baker II
19-10-2009, 03:04 PM
As in the words of the Proclaimers.

:singing: Capital Greens no more. :singing:

Not disputing what Burnsie is saying about West Stand and good news although I could not really hear it from East Stand. But I thought East was reasonably noisy on Saturday - maybe more toward the end though.

ronaldo7
19-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Not wishing to be ageist here but it seems that more of our elder Hibees fans go to the West Upper (me included). The East has more of our younger talent.:wink:

Well done the West stand upper guys and girls for the singing on Saturday.

I know the East will awake from their current Slumber and outsing the rest of the ground... It's just how it is, but when we all get going together then nothing can stop us.

You should have seen Grumpy McLarty's in Dublin before the Shamrock game:thumbsup:

Yogi Hughes' Green and white army.

iwasthere1972
19-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Did the people in the west stand sing a song?

***** me anything's achievable now, we'll probably win the Scottish Cup this year now.

:hilarious

Ryan91
19-10-2009, 06:27 PM

Seems to me that the CGs have fallen flat on their face, they had their own messageboard for a while, but a quick search on google has yielded the address but no server on which it is hosted, so my thoughts are that they've most likely disbanded, which is a shame, as from what i can remember they seemed to be pretty commited to getting a sing song going and travelling to as many away games as possible and making noise.

Hibs90
19-10-2009, 06:33 PM

It does have the atmosphere of a funeral most games but on Saturday it was much louder, infact louder than the East. :agree:

Sunny1875
19-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Have the club thought about the accoustics in the plan for the new stand,
it could really help the atmosphere.

Toaods
19-10-2009, 07:07 PM

now that you mention it.....I do recall seeing a 3-headed jakey trying to get one going. Did you have a black fleece on? :faf:

Hermit Crab
19-10-2009, 08:47 PM
West stand is only good for the view it must have a lower age limit of 60 ha. Lets face it the Famous 5 stand would be aswell no being there as its gash,the East stand is the singing and dancing end. Its the place to be when watching Hibs at ER. :wink:

Toaods
19-10-2009, 08:49 PM
West stand is only good for the view it must have a lower age limit of 60 ha. Lets face it the Famous 5 stand would be aswell no being there as its gash,the East stand is the singing and dancing end. Its the place to be when watching Hibs at ER. :wink:

....you'd better tell the players.

They always know where to come to celebrate with the real fans....:bye:

BroxburnHibee
19-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Naw its no I tell ya. The West proved they are far better on Saturday.

Said it before..............you easties are pish at singing :greengrin

jgl07
19-10-2009, 08:52 PM

I was in that stand for two or three years. It was wall to wall moaning.

In the Blobby days you could pick your own seat and move away from the worst culprits but after it got more crowded I moved the the South or Famous Five stand.

The moaning and complaining really did my head in.

Hermit Crab
19-10-2009, 08:56 PM
....you'd better tell the players.

They always know where to come to celebrate with the real fans....:bye:

Are these the real fans that were there on sat dressed as seats? :wink:

Toaods
19-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Are these the real fans that were there on sat dressed as seats? :wink:

just as well you never saw the terracing then.mind you it was a sunny day maybe it was the reflection of the East you were looking at...:wink:

goosano
19-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Perhaps credit is due to the team and the way they played in the second half. They really stepped up to the mark and took it to Kilmarnock-as a result the whole stadium got behind the team and maybe it even bought us a penalty :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
19-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Perhaps credit is due to the team and the way they played in the second half. They really stepped up to the mark and took it to Kilmarnock-as a result the whole stadium got behind the team and maybe it even bought us a penalty :greengrin

Give the team credit?! Have you lost your damn mind?

MB62
20-10-2009, 08:26 AM

It's the WORST place to be if you actually want to WATCH Hibs, the view is murder polis and you cannae see a thing for folk standing on the seats :grr: :duck:

Luna_Asylum
20-10-2009, 08:45 AM
It's the WORST place to be if you actually want to WATCH Hibs, the view is murder polis and you cannae see a thing for folk standing on the seats :grr: :duck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjF4_hR3FfQ

HFC 0-7
20-10-2009, 08:55 AM

I am a season ticket holder in the west and I have said before that the atmposphere in the west is terrible, however, Saturday was very good. The east is where most of the atmosphere has been coming frrom but lately it seems that the east starts up a song and have lost interest after about 3 lines . I think both stands atmosphere will get better when everyone slowly realises that we do have something to shout and get excited about!

Hermit Crab
20-10-2009, 07:56 PM

Only SPL ground to have standing tho! :wink:

ArabHibee
20-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I heard hee haw from the West on Saturday.

Hermit Crab
20-10-2009, 09:12 PM

:agree:

NAE NOOKIE
20-10-2009, 09:46 PM
From my seat in the FF you could hear the West giving it a go.

I tried to join in but gave up after a few "Hibees" "Hibees" when I realised that only about 10 folk were joining in ..... as usual.

I can never understand why folk pay £300 odd quid for a season ticket, have the commitment to go to the games every other Saturday, but then show all the passion of a dead cod inside the ground.

I like my seat in the FF and sat at that end when it was the old coo shed, but I am at a loss to understand why there is such a lack of vocal support.

Like I said, some of us do our best but its mostly a losing battle. Thats why I am such a fan of having a new East, perhaps it will actually help the atmosphere in other parts of the stadium.

:confused:

ancient hibee
20-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Try going to the game then.

ArabHibee
20-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Try going to the game then.
:faf: You're about as funny as a sore heid.

flash
21-10-2009, 06:06 AM

Well yer ears must be painted on cos the West was rockin. As for the mural on the other side of the stadium.........:bitchy:

MB62
21-10-2009, 07:34 AM

You must have been in a deep sleep along with the rest of the East Gang :greengrin :duck:

It took us a while to get things going admittedly, and you do get folk looking as though you have three heads, but eff them. Once others realise you are not going to give up on the chanting, more and more join in, just needs a bit of preseverance :thumbsup:

It's quite funny when you start singing and the wee laddies look around to see what's going on. Usually, they turn to their 'auld man' and look at him as if to get approval from him to join in, which generally doesn't happen, but you can se the laddies desperate to give it big licks. :greengrin

Shrekko
21-10-2009, 12:07 PM
You must have been in a deep sleep along with the rest of the East Gang :greengrin :duck:

It took us a while to get things going admittedly, and you do get folk looking as though you have three heads, but eff them. Once others realise you are not going to give up on the chanting, more and more join in, just needs a bit of preseverance :thumbsup:

It's quite funny when you start singing and the wee laddies look around to see what's going on. Usually, they turn to their 'auld man' and look at him as if to get approval from him to join in, which generally doesn't happen, but you can se the laddies desperate to give it big licks. :greengrin

:thumbsup: :top marks

Sitting in the FF it was obvious that most of the noise before the goal was coming from the West so keep up the good work! Really don't know what happened to the East over the years, especially the past 3/4.

Scouse Hibee
21-10-2009, 12:16 PM
:agree:

You would have heard nothing from me old chap, I pay £300+ because I like to go to ER and watch the game in peace without some halfwit screaming in my ear and spouting a load of uneducated drivel. You're very much mistaken if you think I'm going to interupt my prawn sandwich and join in with such high jinks. I stay away from the ruffians in the East for this very reason, so don't you dare suggest the West should be singing and making a noise.

Shrekko
21-10-2009, 12:32 PM
You would have heard nothing from me old chap, I pay £300+ because I like to go to ER and watch the game in peace without some halfwit screaming in my ear and spouting a load of uneducated drivel. You're very much mistaken if you think I'm going to interupt my prawn sandwich and join in with such high jinks. I stay away from the ruffians in the East for this very reason, so don't you dare suggest the West should be singing and making a noise.

At the moment you'd be better in the East if it's a quiet time you crave mate :agree:

Hibs90
21-10-2009, 02:40 PM

At Tannadice where we? :greengrin