18-10-2009, 01:59 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8313211.stm

:rolleyes:

Sas_The_Hibby
18-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Benji thought he was going to Real Madrid......... :wink:

Calvin
18-10-2009, 02:05 PM
He said 2nd or third, and given that a win on Saturday would put us top and at least second, I'm happy if our players are aiming high.

The Old Firm are total crap this year. I still realise that we don't have the same level of squad depth and all round quality, but if we can't mount a serious challenge this year - can we ever?

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Rangers are very poor this season. :confused:

Its a slim chance... but its not well beyond our reach.

We need every player to be as optimistic as Benji.

Especially when the OF are weak.

Hit them while there down. :agree:

Sas_The_Hibby
18-10-2009, 02:15 PM
TBH I think there's no point in thinking about where we could finish at this stage in the season. The team need to concentrate on winning games week by week, nothing more.

I did always think, nevertheless, that we could conceivably have split the OF when we finished third under McLeish. I felt we pretty well settled for third place soon after New Year, instead of pushing for second, though we eventually fell well short of second place.

jakedance
18-10-2009, 02:19 PM
I think it's almost impossible but if we don't aim high then there isn't much point turning up.

I'll start getting excited if we're still in the running come the turn of the year.

Hibbyradge
18-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Rangers are very poor this season. :confused:

Its a slim chance... but its not well beyond our reach.

We need every player to be as optimistic as Benji.

Especially when the OF are weak.

Hit them while there down. :agree:

Rangers are top of the league and have already beaten Celtic.

Celtic have already beaten us.

I'll be delighted if we can finish third.

basehibby
18-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Benji is probably responding to a journo asking if Hibs can win the title and FWIW I agree with him that Hibs CAN finish 2nd this season with the OF being at their weakest for some time and Hibs flourishing under Hughes.

The more likely scenario is a fight with Dundee Utd for 3rd, but I think he's spot on in that a higher finish is not out of the question this season.

Wilson
18-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Over the course of a season I think it is unrealistic to think this hibs side could finish first or second. We will lose too many silly points. Third is very realistic and we should be looking to take some points off both Rangers and Celtic to help our cause.

wee 162
18-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Rangers also failed to score against Motherwell, Kilmarnock, and Aberdeen. We've only played two of them but we managed 4 goals against them.

I'd also be happy to finish third fwiw, but neither of those two sides are particularly good.

Sergey
18-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I've seen a couple of OF matches this season and I've been far from impressed. They are poor.

St. Johnstone played Rangers off the park for long periods yesterday and deserved to take something from the match. Rangers bench yesterday contained Loy/Fleck/McMillan (who are they?) Long gone are the days of high earning squad players at Ibrox.

If we can continue to improve, which I'm sure we can do, then there's no reason why we can't give them a run. The same can also be said for Dundee Utd.

Amazingly, if we had beaten Hamilton, we'd currently be sitting top of the table.

steviehfc
18-10-2009, 02:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8313211.stm

:rolleyes:Can't see anything wrong with what he has said TBH, i'd much rather our players showed some real ambition than just settling for the best of the rest tag. Ok, it might not happen, but at least aim high.

hibsbollah
18-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Can't see anything wrong with what he has said TBH, i'd much rather our players showed some real ambition than just settling for the best of the rest tag. Ok, it might not happen, but at least aim high.

:agree:

Sir David Gray
18-10-2009, 03:19 PM
It makes a huge difference from hearing our players going on about getting a top six place as if it's some sort of achievement.

We probably won't get anywhere near Rangers and Celtic by the end of the season but if we aim as high as that, I think there's a better chance of us getting 3rd place (which should be our target) than if we simply aim for a place in the top six.

millarco
18-10-2009, 03:22 PM
It makes a huge difference from hearing our players going on about getting a top six place as if it's some sort of achievement.

We probably won't get anywhere near Rangers and Celtic by the end of the season but if we aim as high as that, I think there's a better chance of us getting 3rd place (which should be our target) than if we simply aim for a place in the top six.

We have next to no chance of breaking into the top 2, but there's no harm in aiming high for as long as possible. Though with the OF normally seperated by a couple of points come the end of the season, if we're going to aim for 2nd we might as well go the distance and win the thing.:wink:

col02
18-10-2009, 03:23 PM
We suggest that Rangers and Celtic are weaker teams this season yet when others say maybe just maybe we can get close to them or even split them they are mocked. The Old Firm are a bunch of bawbags and I hope that everytime they play Hibs, Dundee United, Motherwell, Aberdeen and even Hearts that they drop points. As Jim Traynor said last night if any other team in the SPL had their resources they would achieve what they do year on year.

davym7062
18-10-2009, 03:23 PM
to hell with this 2nd keek. i want 1st:agree:

Sir David Gray
18-10-2009, 03:26 PM
We suggest that Rangers and Celtic are weaker teams this season yet when others say maybe just maybe we can get close to them or even split them they are mocked. The Old Firm are a bunch of bawbags and I hope that everytime they play Hibs, Dundee United, Motherwell, Aberdeen and even Hearts that they drop points. As Jim Traynor said last night if any other team in the SPL had their resources they would achieve what they do year on year.

I was agreeing with you wholeheartedly up until then but you've just taken that too far. :greengrin

Wilson
18-10-2009, 03:35 PM

That is the crux of it though. No other team in the SPL has their resources...

I don't think it is a case of mocking anyone or not wanting to believe we can do it. It is more that we've heard it all before.

Lets face it - a couple of bad performances and we'll be worried whether we're good enough to finish third again.

Talk of finishing second when there is so much football still to be played is crazy.

jakedance
18-10-2009, 04:00 PM
That is the crux of it though. No other team in the SPL has their resources...

I don't think it is a case of mocking anyone or not wanting to believe we can do it. It is more that we've heard it all before.

Lets face it - a couple of bad performances and we'll be worried whether we're good enough to finish third again.

Talk of finishing second when there is so much football still to be played is crazy.

The average Hibs supporter has a memory of one game. The same folk talking about finishing second are probably the same folk that were predicting the end of the world after the Hamilton and St Johnstone games.

RoYO!
18-10-2009, 04:18 PM
aim high and see what happens, we may well lack the consistency over the season, but i think that this is the strongest squad and management team we've had in recent memory.

allied to that the OF are prob the weakest that i can ever remember. worst start by celtic at home in 63 years...

gotta go into games with no fear and the right attitude and we'll be there or there abouts.

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Rangers were extremely lucky against Celtic.

And Celtic were fairly lucky against us.

We'll beat them both at least once this season.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I dont think we will finish third, but its nice to hear that at least one of the players thinks we can, and have not given up like i have and most of the support too.

HibbyAndy
18-10-2009, 04:26 PM
I dont think we will finish third, but its nice to hear that at least one of the players thinks we can, and have not given up like i have and most of the support too.

You mean 2nd :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2009, 04:29 PM
You mean 2nd :greengrin

:greengrin

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 04:29 PM

Hibs aren't playing the "best" football I've seen in my lifetime.

But they are playing well... and have picked up some consistency.

If we even just manage to take a point next week.... it will be the best run I've seen in quite some time.

Its rare for Hibs to go 3 games unbeaten... but if we can make it 4... then the momentum will hopefully be on our side.

Keeping the faith. :hnet:

basehibby
18-10-2009, 04:50 PM
The average Hibs supporter has a memory of one game. The same folk talking about finishing second are probably the same folk that were predicting the end of the world after the Hamilton and St Johnstone games.

:bitchy: Not in my case - I was kept very busy after the St Js defeat trying to persuade those Hibbys on suicide watch to give Hughes et al some time and show some patience - I reckon we've got some real quality in the team right now and (especially if certain areas are strengthened come January) will win the majority of our matches this season. Of course it's still a bit of a long shot, but ever since the signings of Miller and Stokes and the return of Zemama, I've been thinking that an upset in the shape of the OF being split is not out of the question.

greenlex
18-10-2009, 04:52 PM
So do I but I think we will do it in our pants when it matters in the spring.

matty_f
18-10-2009, 06:34 PM
On current form, we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. The trick is keeping that form up consistently - Rangers and Celtc do it as the norm, for a club like Hibs, taking this form over a season is a difficult task,

The key thing is keeping our best players past January, as I suspect there will be some tempting bids coming in for one or two players, that and keeping everyone fit.

If we hit January in the position we're in now - still in touch with the top 2, and we can strengthen, then it'll be very interesting how the rest of the season pans out.

IMHO, we will hit a slump at some point this season, and it's how long that slump lasts that will make or break the season. The Yams managed something like 9 games without a win last season and still got third. I can't see that happening to us, but you never know.

FWIW, when we've been good this season - 2nd half at Motherwell, 70-odd minutes against Dundee Utd, and a fair chunk of the game yesterday, then I think we're the best team I've seen live this season. Although I was at the Celtc game, and they beat us, there wasn't much in it and we've played better since - Celtc haven't.

I really hope Yogi goes to Ibrox and sets up the same way as we have the last few games. IMHO, the forward line of Deek, Stokes, Benji and Zouma is unrivaled in the SPL, and we should be looking to get them at Rangers as much as possible.

Bishop Hibee
18-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Nothing wrong with Benji aiming high. Better that than tugging the forlock to the huns before we play them.

I'd say the reality is that over a 38 game season 2nd is probably beyond us but we've got decent depth to the squad especially if we add a CH in the transfer window and should be up there for 3rd.

Jack
18-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Its good to hear our players want to split them rather than join them! :greengrin

Jim44
18-10-2009, 10:43 PM
There's definitely one person who disagrees with Benji. I happened to hear a bit of the Jambo v Aberdeen commentary on Saturday. It was the guy who talks with a 'bool in his mooth', Scott somebody I think. He stated quite categorically that he was watching the two teams who will be battling for third place this season. :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 10:47 PM
There's definitely one person who disagrees with Benji. I happened to hear a bit of the Jambo v Aberdeen commentary on Saturday. It was the guy who talks with a 'bool in his mooth', Scott somebody I think. He stated quite categorically that he was watching the two teams who will be battling for third place this season. :rolleyes:

Complete tool that man is. :agree:

Aye... they both look like real 3rd place contenders this season. :faf:

King Paddy
18-10-2009, 10:59 PM
It is as open a spl that i can ever remember. The old firm are not as strong as they once were, so i suppose Bengi has a point. the problem with the likes of Hibs, Dundee untd, Aberdeen, Hearts is they all give away points to the so called lesser teams. As an example i watched Rangers grind out a result against St. Jonstone when in reality the Saints should have won comfortably.

Sas_The_Hibby
18-10-2009, 11:07 PM
It is as open a spl that i can ever remember. The old firm are not as strong as they once were, so i suppose Bengi has a point. the problem with the likes of Hibs, Dundee untd, Aberdeen, Hearts is they all give away points to the so called lesser teams. As an example i watched Rangers grind out a result against St. Jonstone when in reality the Saints should have won comfortably.

And to each other. The only chance of a real challenge to the OF is ONE good team consistently beating the rest.

I don't think we're currently that team and neither is anyone else. :boo hoo:

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 11:20 PM
And to each other. The only chance of a real challenge to the OF is ONE good team consistently beating the rest.

I don't think we're currently that team and neither is anyone else. :boo hoo:

I say all the other teams in the SPL team up... and decide to let us win every game against them.... that way... we'll top the league for sure! :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
19-10-2009, 10:34 AM
The more pressure put on the OF the better,I think we almost have what it takes to finish 2nd,we just have to keep injury and suspension free:rolleyes:.The OF fans are already getting on their own players backs, long may it continue,we are coming into our own and are beginning to field a settled team, although, I do think four forwards on at a time a wee bit too much and mibbe stifles the scoring opportunities of one or two of our forwards(aye, ah know we have loads of scoring opportunities,just not enough hitting the back of the net).Anyhoos a win against der bun will set us up nicely for the Aberdeen and hertz games.

Dinkydoo
19-10-2009, 11:40 AM

By the same level of logic, We've beaten Motherwell 3-1, Celtic couldn't score a goal against them. The above statement means nothing really, none of the sides mentioned have had any real sense of consistancey about thier play this season.

I think that we have the potential to finish high up the table this season, and who knows, maybe even 2nd. Although we have to remember that this squad is a "work in progess" at the time being, JH hasn't even had a whole season to build up his team and get the players in the correct mentality to play the style of fitba he wants us to.

The players should be aiming high. I admire that, as long as they don't get too carried away with themselves.

If you go into a game believing that you can't win, chances are that you won't.....
GGTTH :thumbsup: