PDA

View Full Version : Steven Fletcher

H18sry
18-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Is he out of his depth in the EPL, watching the game now and he has done the same today as he has done all season, nowt :dummytit:

joe breezy
18-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I thought he'd done alright for them, I didn't expect him to, but I'm not watching today's game as at work, I see they're getting humped though, they've not done too well away from home

Pete70
18-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Couldn't care less TBH, as long as Burnley cough up the balance of the transfer fee.

Gatecrasher
18-10-2009, 12:53 PM
The games just passing him by, dunno about out of his depth I just think he will need more time, craig gordan took a while to settle as well

mim
18-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Couldn't care less TBH, as long as Burnley cough up the balance of the transfer fee.

I would like to see all ex-Hibees do well. It raises the profile of our club.

Who would have believed that we could have effectively replaced Fletch with Benji and Stokes and got a few million to play with as well? :wink:

iwasthere1972
18-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Is he out of his depth in the EPL, watching the game now and he has done the same today as he has done all season, nowt :dummytit:

Tend to agree. 1 goal in 8 and a half league games is a terrible return for their money. Both Fletch and Garry O'Connor are never EPL material, both would do okay in the championship.

Well done Rod. :agree:

leither17
18-10-2009, 01:16 PM
is their top scorer with 4 goals but 3 were in the carling cup

HibbyAndy
18-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Just watched the 1st half and can count on one hand the amount of times he's touched the ball, totally out of his depth.

Like another poster has said, i couldnt give a toss, we got the £££££ for him.

bobbyhibs1983
18-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I would like to see all ex-Hibees do well. It raises the profile of our club.

I tend to agree with you mate but i dont wanna see any ex players who play against us do well though.:grr:

though i dont care much for cadwell ,thomson or stewart though, all 3 prized you know what

stokesmessiah
18-10-2009, 01:24 PM

Hes just been hooked, and i thought he looked very poor.

Not exactly tracking his man back for their 3rd !!!!

MrRobot
18-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Hes just been hooked, and i thought he looked very poor.

Not exactly tracking his man back for their 3rd !!!!

He's a striker. No point in every player being behind the ball.

Vini1875
18-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I hope he does well. As has been said if players who move south do well it will encourage other English clubs to pay top whack for our players. We really don't want other clubs especially in England thinking that playing well for Hibs means nothing.

If we produced and sold one £4M every couple of seasons we would have steady progress with the rest of the squad and a settled period, but in order for that to happen those going south need to do well. Players doing well in England would also have the added bonus of making the OF less attractive to our players.

stevensons-fan
18-10-2009, 02:18 PM

Everytime i've seen him play for Burnley, it looks like he is playing out on the right wing? :confused:

Westie1875
18-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Everytime i've seen him play for Burnley, it looks like he is playing out on the right wing? :confused:

:agree: Not getting the best out of him at all IMO, he needs a run upfront.

steve75
18-10-2009, 02:58 PM
he was pretty awful in the first half, hardly touched the ball. however I thought in the 7 mins hes got in the 2nd, clearly playing up front, he was the best burnley player on the park. He linked up with midfield well, a couple of nice turns and got two half decent shots away. Then got hooked even though Nugent hadn't touched the ball in the second half!

Franck is God
18-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Drogba was considered a waste of money after his first season in the Premiership, he ended up doing alright?

Fletch was always going to need time to get used to playing in the Premiership, it is faster and full of much better quality players but he will adjust.

It's also not helping that he is being played mainly on the right hand side and being asked to do a job any striker would struggle with. I was watching the game and to be honest Coyle could have taken off any of his strikers as none of them were doing anything although I was disapointed that he never got a chance through the middle, apart from their goal he was the only player to actually get a shot on target for them. Switched off after he was subbed so no idea how they did after that.

greenlex
18-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Burnley were just hoofing the ball from what I saw. That doesnt suit Fletcher IMO. I dont think he is out his depth just at the wrong club FWIW.

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Burnley were just hoofing the ball from what I saw. That doesnt suit Fletcher IMO. I dont think he is out his depth just at the wrong club FWIW.

How no?

Did he not get enough hoofing experience in the Mixu era? :duck:

brog
18-10-2009, 06:24 PM
He's playing for a team which at the start of the season were the shortest odds ever in Premiership to be relegated, they're currently mid-table.
Fletch is first choice every week, albeit in away games Coyle plays him wide right & uses him as an extra midfielder/defender.
He's Burnley's top scorer although 3 goals were in Carling Cup.
He's playing alongside quality creative players such as Steven Caldwell, Graham Alexander, Steven Thompson etc etc
He's scored as many goals for Burnley this season as Owen & Berbatov combined have for Man U. Fletch cost 10% of Berbatov's fee.
No doubt then, he's not Premiership class. :wink: Lets keep knocking ex-players though & saying how we've conned the receiving club, that will really help us get value in the future.

Broken Gnome
18-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Why would people take pride in him being 'out of his depth'? He'll be Scotland's long term replacement for Miller, something he's got all the attributes to do, you'd think people might actually want him to do well.

ancient hibee
18-10-2009, 07:15 PM
What is it with football coaches?You pay a record fee for a player and then play him in the one position that 15000 Hibs supporters could tell was the wrong one.He was involved in the second and third goals-losing a tackle i n a dangerous position and then failing to watch what Chimbonda was doing.

I'm afraid he may be back with oneof the OF in acouple of seasons-no doubt we'll be in for a sell on percentage.

lapsedhibee
18-10-2009, 07:20 PM
What is it with football coaches?You pay a record fee for a player and then play him in the one position that 15000 Hibs supporters could tell was the wrong one.

Eh? You'll be saying next that Mixu was wrong to play AOB at right mid/wing! :grr:

Onceinawhile
18-10-2009, 07:20 PM
He's playing for a team which at the start of the season were the shortest odds ever in Premiership to be relegated, they're currently mid-table.
Fletch is first choice every week, albeit in away games Coyle plays him wide right & uses him as an extra midfielder/defender.
He's Burnley's top scorer although 3 goals were in Carling Cup.
He's playing alongside quality creative players such as Steven Caldwell, Graham Alexander, Steven Thompson etc etc
He's scored as many goals for Burnley this season as Owen & Berbatov combined have for Man U. Fletch cost 10% of Berbatov's fee.
No doubt then, he's not Premiership class. :wink: Lets keep knocking ex-players though & saying how we've conned the receiving club, that will really help us get value in the future.

Well said.

Why would people take pride in him being 'out of his depth'? He'll be Scotland's long term replacement for Miller, something he's got all the attributes to do, you'd think people might actually want him to do well.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that, its pretty pathetic to be honest. He did well for hibs, has had nothing but good stuff to say about us, and is also playing somewhere other than the old firm. We should be getting right behind the lad.

jdships
18-10-2009, 07:22 PM
:agree: Not getting the best out of him at all IMO, he needs a run upfront.

Yup !
In the games I have seen him play it's as if he is not quite sure what he is about .
Today the game seemed to pass him by a bit .
I always felt , at ER, he was at his best playing as a striker.

:boo hoo:

scoopyboy
18-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Just watched the 1st half and can count on one hand the amount of times he's touched the ball, totally out of his depth.

Like another poster has said, i couldnt give a toss, we got the £££££ for him.

Wrong. Hibs get extra if Burnley stay up and Fletch makes an amount of appearances (don't know the number).

So I hope Burnley do well and Fletch plays every week.

Shrekko
18-10-2009, 07:36 PM

He's at an excellent club with an excellent manager.

I didnt see the game today but I do know Burnley normally play very good passing football.

I dont think we should be writing him off just yet either though- he's only been there a couple of months!! He's also scored 4 goals and starts most games!! For a young lad moving to a much better league thats not too bad IMO.

I think he was stagnating at Hibs but I think he has the ability to do ok... in time.

ancient hibee
18-10-2009, 07:40 PM
He won't get the time from the fans-he's their record signing.

millarco
18-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Wrong. Hibs get extra if Burnley stay up and Fletch makes an amount of appearances (don't know the number).

So I hope Burnley do well and Fletch plays every week.

So are you suggesting Tim Gardiner was lying at the AGM?

http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2199793&postcount=26

I Love Lamp
18-10-2009, 07:54 PM
He needs to learn how to instinctively play with his right foot. He can kick with it but always tries to go for it with the left even when it comes at a very awkward height and angle for doing so. I remember such a situation earlier in the season where he was about eight or nine yards out and ended up booting it straight up in the air for that very reason.

Games in the EPL are far too quick for him to always take the time he needs to move the ball onto his left. Perhaps Coyle is playing him on the right so that (1) he can cut inside and shoot when the opportunity presents itself but (2) so that he can develop his right footed game and ultimately improve for it.

If he doesn't do this he will not make it in the EPL. I wish him all the very best though.

Busy Bear
18-10-2009, 09:42 PM
He needs to learn how to instinctively play with his right foot. He can kick with it but always tries to go for it with the left even when it comes at a very awkward height and angle for doing so. I remember such a situation earlier in the season where he was about eight or nine yards out and ended up booting it straight up in the air for that very reason.

Games in the EPL are far too quick for him to always take the time he needs to move the ball onto his left. Perhaps Coyle is playing him on the right so that (1) he can cut inside and shoot when the opportunity presents itself but (2) so that he can develop his right footed game and ultimately improve for it.

If he doesn't do this he will not make it in the EPL. I wish him all the very best though.
Totally agree with the above, he is far too 1 footed to make a huge impact at the moment. Hopefully with some top level coaching he will show what a good talent/prospect that he is

Deeklipse
18-10-2009, 09:58 PM

If he doesn't do this he will not make it in the EPL. I wish him all the very best though.Agreed, he missed a couple of sitters for us last year sliding in and hitting with his left when it was far easier to score with his right.

Latapy1911
18-10-2009, 11:00 PM
hope he never comes back he was the most overrated player ever :thumbsup:

Liberal Hibby
18-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh dear - this really has to be one of the most ill informed, spiteful and unnecessary threads.

There are very few players from any SPL team who move on to hold down a regular starting slot at an English top division team. Fletcher is one of the few who has and Hibs supporters should welcome that success - it afterall reflects in a very positive way on our youth system.

And from what I've seen of Fletcher this year I'd say only the most ignorant could argue with a straight face that he is out of his depth.

Dunbar Hibee
18-10-2009, 11:26 PM
i've watched most Burnley games and he's played well.. everyone down theres got plenty Praise for him as well. Bit of a stupid thread if you ask me 8 games Fletch has went from the SPL to the EPL.. big difference. Give the guy a ****in chance

rainman
19-10-2009, 01:20 AM
He's not gonna take the league by storm or out score Torres or Rooney but he's a young guy who starting most weeks in the EPL. His touch and movement shows maturity beyond his years and I'm sure he'll improve more just by playing with and against better players every week.

I like seeing guys we've brought through the ranks do well. The fact he chose to go down south rather than take the easy option along the M8 makes me want him to do well more.

scoopyboy
19-10-2009, 05:41 AM
So are you suggesting Tim Gardiner was lying at the AGM?

http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2199793&postcount=26

Nope, not suggesting anyone was lying at the AGM.

What was stated was that we were to receive money from Burnley during this financial year and this money would be guaranteed, ie the balance of the agreed price.

At no point was it mentioned about the add ons because they are not guaranteed. As with David Murphy they might or might not happen.

Wilson
19-10-2009, 08:04 AM
hope he never comes back he was the most overrated player ever :thumbsup:

goodbyetw@t??

LancsHibs
19-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Only saw the highlights on MOTD2 and thought Fletcher had some nice touches, from what i've seen/heard this season the Dingles are playing him out of position!
Hope the lad does well:agree:

Steve20
19-10-2009, 08:48 AM
He had a poor game yesterday but has done well so far this season.

heretoday
19-10-2009, 09:29 AM
He had a poor game yesterday but has done well so far this season.

Yes........mmmmm purrrrr.

brog
19-10-2009, 12:44 PM
He's not gonna take the league by storm or out score Torres or Rooney but he's a young guy who starting most weeks in the EPL. His touch and movement shows maturity beyond his years and I'm sure he'll improve more just by playing with and against better players every week.

I like seeing guys we've brought through the ranks do well. The fact he chose to go down south rather than take the easy option along the M8 makes me want him to do well more.

:top marksI also know Burnley believe they've secured an absolute bargain in Fletch. I have no doubt his next move will be upwards & I wish him every success.

GC
19-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes........mmmmm purrrrr.

What's with your recent posts?:confused:

lapsedhibee
19-10-2009, 04:20 PM
What's with your recent posts?:confused:

They seem to have been a catalogue of animal noises. :confused:

stokesmessiah
20-10-2009, 12:09 AM

Surely theres even less of a point in letting someone run right past you to score a goal???? No matter where on the pitch you belong !!!!!