PDA

View Full Version : Penalty Controversial?

Leithenhibby
18-10-2009, 07:53 AM
So how in gods name was it controversial :confused:

Didn't make the game so I have to rely on those half-wit journalists to report on the game. Now this to me is not making much sense.

Maybe I'm expecting too much...:wink:

And their hard work finally paid off in 84 minutes as they won that controversial spot kick.

Benji got his body in front of Skelton to invite the foul and the Killie ace obliged leaving ref's Craig Thomson in no doubt over his award.

The Moroccan stepped up and put the ball outwith Brown's reach and Hibs claimed a valuable three points.

Ref Watch Craig Thomson got penalty call right and showed why he's nation's top whistler. Rating: 7/10.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/scottish-football/spl/2009/10/18/hibs-1-kilmarnock-0-78057-21756043/

BroxburnHibee
18-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Didn't make the game so I have to rely on those half-wit journalists to report on the game. Now this to me is not making much sense.

And their hard work finally paid off in 84 minutes as they won that controversial spot kick.

Benji got his body in front of Skelton to invite the foul and the Killie ace obliged leaving ref's Craig Thomson in no doubt over his award.

The Moroccan stepped up and put the ball outwith Brown's reach and Hibs claimed a valuable three points.

Ref Watch Craig Thomson got penalty call right and showed why he's nation's top whistler. Rating: 7/10.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/scottish-football/spl/2009/10/18/hibs-1-kilmarnock-0-78057-21756043/

First of all when it happened I immmediately thought it was a dive - I havent seen it again yet so I'll have to wait and see.

Can someone tell me this though this is not the first time I've read this pish about CT being our top whistler..........the guy is terrible. He never controls the game and the players know it.

That farce at the free kick yesterday proved it - Kyle was blatantly laughing as the wall kept stepping forward and he stood and did nothing.

Always thought Calum Murray was our best official.

Leithenhibby
18-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Looking like I'll have to be judge & Jury :greengrin my first thought was, was it a stone wall or a bit soft...I always Analise penaltys..just a thing I have.

I thought the penalty that Stoke got against The Hammers was soft, but not seen a rerun yet..

Penalty's are becoming a real art form for all those potential divers out there...So I'm just going to wait for the highlights to go up..

forthhibby
18-10-2009, 08:33 AM
wasn't sure at the time, seen it on telly and looks like referee called it right

RoYO!
18-10-2009, 08:37 AM
wasn't sure at the time, seen it on telly and looks like referee called it right

are the goals on SSN?

givescotlandfreedom
18-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Whether it was or no, Thomson missed an even more blatant one a few minutes before it with a clear handball in the box. Thomson's performance was awful yesterday and you wouldn't put it past the Sunday Mail to base their report on the 30 second clip from SSN.

Westie1875
18-10-2009, 09:00 AM
First of all when it happened I immmediately thought it was a dive - I havent seen it again yet so I'll have to wait and see.

Can someone tell me this though this is not the first time I've read this pish about CT being our top whistler..........the guy is terrible. He never controls the game and the players know it.

That farce at the free kick yesterday proved it - Kyle was blatantly laughing as the wall kept stepping forward and he stood and did nothing.

Always thought Calum Murray was our best official.

Kyle was at it all game, surprised Bamba never lost it with him at some point.

givescotlandfreedom
18-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Kyle was at it all game, surprised Bamba never lost it with him at some point.

He also tried to get Bamba booked when he should have been booked long before it himself.

Darth Hibbie
18-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Agreed Thomson was shocking today (not really a surprise though). Every time Babma got withing 3 feet of Kyle the ref gave a foul.

As for the penalty I thought it was a 50/50 at the time and possibly Benji made the most of it. As has already been said we should have had one just before that.

steakbake
18-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I heard Jim Jeffries moaning about it, saying that if Maloney didn't get a penalty for an identical incident in the OF match then why should the same ref give a penalty to Hibs yesterday.

Sas_The_Hibby
18-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Most around me in the FF Stand thought it wasn't a penalty at the time but, as in every situation, I'd have to see it again.

Not sure how the OP is so amazed it was considered controversial when they weren't at the game and haven't even seen it........ :confused:

davym7062
18-10-2009, 09:11 AM
a penalty is like a boiled egg..........

soft or hard its still a boiled egg:wink:

EskbankHibby
18-10-2009, 09:34 AM

So, a penalty then.

Got a Great view in the FF upper, Benji gets his body between defender and ball and the defender goes through the back of him, Benji is looking for it but it is a foul in the box.

Clever play by Benji.

Leithenhibby
18-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Most around me in the FF Stand thought it wasn't a penalty at the time but, as in every situation, I'd have to see it again.

Not sure how the OP is so amazed it was considered controversial when they weren't at the game and haven't even seen it........ :confused:

Because IF, you read the OP you will see that in BOLD the report says it was controversial, and in the next sentence it says the the ref got it right :confused: why?....

ArabHibee
18-10-2009, 10:20 AM
So, a penalty then.

Got a Great view in the FF upper, Benji gets his body between defender and ball and the defender goes through the back of him, Benji is looking for it but it is a foul in the box.

Clever play by Benji.

:agree: Exactly what I saw and thought as well.

Twa Cairpets
18-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Whether it was or no, Thomson missed an even more blatant one a few minutes before it with a clear handball in the box. Thomson's performance was awful yesterday and you wouldn't put it past the Sunday Mail to base their report on the 30 second clip from SSN.

Thought thomson was poor, and I was screaming for the handball penatly, but much though it pains me to say he did get that one right.

Just because the ball hits a hand does not make it a foul. The instructions that referees are given are that if the handball is deliberate or if the ball hits the hand when it is in an "unnatural position" (which is not a euphemism for anything!) then it is a foul. The Killie players hand was at his side when the ball smacked into him - no pen.

(On a similar note on obsuce laws, the Sunderland goal that hit the balloon was correctly (eventually) analysed as being incorrectly awarded, and should have been a drop ball as a result of the involvement of an outside agent. But Shearer still got it wrong - he said it should have been a drop ball at the edge of the box. It shouldnt - it should have been a drop ball at the edge of the six yard area. Worrying that two managers and three so called expert pundits didnt know the laws of the game. P!sses me of royally).

givescotlandfreedom
18-10-2009, 10:37 AM
The instructions that referees are given are that if the handball is deliberate or if the ball hits the hand when it is in an "unnatural position" (which is not a euphemism for anything!) then it is a foul. The Killie players hand was at his side when the ball smacked into him - no pen.

I'd agree if that happened but the way I remember it he had his hand oustretched when the ball hit him as you would if you were to bounce a ball.

Hibbyradge
18-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I've just watched the highlights. I don't think a penalty should have been awarded for the hand ball.

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Seen it again on sky sports news...

And i'm thinking that the penalty was perhaps given for handball...

If it was given for the challenge... then it was extremely harsh.

Sas_The_Hibby
18-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Because IF, you read the OP you will see that in BOLD the report says it was controversial, and in the next sentence it says the the ref got it right :confused: why?....

Fair enough, but controversial means there was some controversy around it - Killie players may have thought it wasn't a penalty; quite a few Hibs fans around me thought it wasn't either - however, the writer's belief is that the referee got it right. I don't see any contradiction there.

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Everyone around us were saying it was not a penalty, i did not think it was either, but hey ho, thats life.:greengrin

Pete70
18-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I haven't seen a replay of it yet but thought a the time it wasn't a pen as Benji made a meal of it.

I'll take it though, we've had a few far more blatant decisions go against us in the past.

jgl07
18-10-2009, 12:50 PM
I sit in the FF upper just to the right of the goal.

Not one of those sitting around me thought it was a penalty. We all throught it was a dive. Judging by the talk coming down the stairs after the match, that view was held by many more.

Maybe we could not see the foul because it was behind Benji? I will await the highlights with interest.

Toaods
18-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Right, answers on a postcard, which one of the following two posts is right :greengrin...

So, a penalty then.

Clever play by Benji.

:thumbsup:

I sit in the FF upper just to the right of the goal.

Not one of those sitting around me thought it was a penalty. We all throught it was a dive. Judging by the talk coming down the stairs after the match, that view was held by many more.

Maybe we could not see the foul because it was behind Benji? I will await the highlights with interest. :bitchy:

Thomson gave the penalty without a seconds hesitation because there was no doubt. Benji wisely put his body into a great position and Skelton forgot he waas in the penalty box rather than at the half way line and wrapped his arms round Benji momentarily to try to stand his ground. Never achieved either - therefore stonewaller.

I don't think they are calling it controversial - more so basing it on the fact that Jumbo Jeffries was bumping his gums about it. Anyway, when it comes to finding out the gen on Hibs, stop reading papers and just phone me.....:cool2:

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Thomson gave the penalty without a seconds hesitation because there was no doubt. Benji put his bidy into a great position and Skelton tforgot he waas in the penalty box rather than at the half way line and wrapped his arms round Benji momentarily to try to stand his ground.

Never achieved either - therefore stonewaller.

Did you see a replay of the incident Toaods?

You'd be greetin if it was given against us. :wink:

Toaods
18-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Did you see a replay of the incident Toaods?

You'd be greetin if it was given against us. :wink:

no replay needed and I'm greeting antime a penalty is given against us. see the Sunderland game yesterday?
Who's taking the balloons to Ibrox :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
18-10-2009, 01:33 PM
no replay needed and I'm greeting antime a penalty is given against us. see the Sunderland game yesterday?

Walter Smith.:wink:

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 01:33 PM

Rangers.... they have a team full of balloons at the moment. :agree:

IWasThere2016
18-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Seen it again on sky sports news...

And i'm thinking that the penalty was perhaps given for handball...

If it was given for the challenge... then it was extremely harsh.

:agree:

Leithenhibby
18-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Fair enough, but controversial means there was some controversy around it - Killie players may have thought it wasn't a penalty; quite a few Hibs fans around me thought it wasn't either - however, the writer's belief is that the referee got it right. I don't see any contradiction there.

The wording in the report is not by me, and the word controversial is used by the reporter, not me....:wink:

I will have to contain myself until the highlights are on the BBC, then, and only then will I give my honest opinion...Stonewaller..:greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
18-10-2009, 02:00 PM
The wording in the report is not by me, and the word controversial is used by the reporter, not me....:wink:

I will have to contain myself until the highlights are on the BBC, then, and only then will I give my honest opinion...Stonewaller..:greengrin

Good to see you're keeping an open mind. :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
18-10-2009, 06:03 PM
a penalty is like a boiled egg..........

soft or hard its still a boiled egg:wink:

:top marks

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Still a stonewaller for you Mr Toaods? :cool2: :wink: :greengrin

FastEddieFelson
18-10-2009, 06:27 PM
every single person on this board would be absolutely raging had that penalty been given against us.

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 06:30 PM
every single person on this board would be absolutely raging had that penalty been given against us.

Shame we have Rangers at Ibrox next weekend then... :boo hoo:

Toaods
18-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Still a stonewaller for you Mr Toaods? :cool2: :wink: :greengrin

watch the clip and look where Thomson is...I'd say 5 yards away at the furtherst. he had more or less the same line of vision on teh incident as me. That one camera angle doesn't disprove the decision as far as I can see.

Now talking of diving........did Goncalves get booked here(40 seconds in)?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8313371.stm

:faf:

Hibercelona
18-10-2009, 07:09 PM
watch the clip and look where Thomson is...I'd say 5 yards away at the furtherst. he had more or less the same line of vision on teh incident as me. That one camera angle doesn't disprove the decision as far as I can see.

Concalves :agree:

Leithenhibby
18-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Now that I have watched the highlights on BBC. It has to be said that from where I'm sitting, never a penalty in your life :greengrin

But if Sunderland can get the use of a balloon then why can't Hibs? In the form of what can only be described as "shocking refereeing", If that decision had gone against us, we would be furious.

But since it was for us :faf::faf::top marks

I Love Lamp
18-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I partly agree in that 7 out of 10 seems ridiculous to me but it was a controversial penalty.

Some think that putting your body in the way and inviting the foul is gamesmanship which should never get a penalty. Some didn't think there was enough contact. Some think Benji just dived.

It is undeniable that there are differences of opinion and so it is controversial. Sometimes things are wrongly called controversial when it was clearly just a wrong decision both in the letter and spirit of the law.

So I agree that a lot of journalists are a bit lacking in their coverage of this game but for different reasons.

7 out of 10... not a chance!

Ally
18-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Just watched it on BBC, looks very soft to me. Didn't have a good view at the game.

Tattie
18-10-2009, 09:16 PM
We deserved the win, so I don't really care.

Killie done nothing all game, that big streak 'o pish Kyle just backed into Bamba all day.

GGTTH

Leithenhibby
18-10-2009, 10:37 PM

Perhaps you should have gone to specsavers :greengrin never a penalty in your, or anybody Else's life..:greengrin.. but i'll take it.

Goncalves, was there not a sniper on the roof? ..what a joke...

Toaods
18-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Perhaps you should have gone to specsavers :greengrin never a penalty in your, or anybody Else's life..:greengrin.. but i'll take it.

homer....:wink:

The Hootsmon:

Indeed, the winning goal only came following an injudicious barge on Benjelloun by Gavin Skelton in the penalty box.

hibiedude
19-10-2009, 08:48 AM

I've just had the opportunity to view it for the first time and it was never in a million years a spot kick. As said on another thread this site would have went into meltdown if it went against us.

Cabbage East
19-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Never a pen.

EskbankHibby
19-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Looks softer on the highlights i have to agree.

I can only comment on the perfect angle i got from the FF upper on Saturday and Whilst Benji is admittedly looking for it there was contact from the Killie boy.

One thing to bear in mind i think was that the man with the best view of the incident (apart from me :greengrin) was the referee who was only yards away and he gave it immediately. This is from a referee who gave us absolutely **** all all day, softish penalty but a penalty nevertheless.

lapsedhibee
19-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I can only comment on the perfect angle i got from the FF upper on Saturday and Whilst Benji is admittedly looking for it there was contact from the Killie boy.

Sorry but this expression does my nut in.

There is no rule against touching other players. A penalty is for a foul in the box, not touching a player in the box. If it was for touching, every single corner that is ever taken would result in a penalty.

EskbankHibby
19-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Sorry but this expression does my nut in.

There is no rule against touching other players. A penalty is for a foul in the box, not touching a player in the box. If it was for touching, every single corner that is ever taken would result in a penalty.

Fair do's LH.

Ref was nearest and called it in our favour, enough contact to be deemed a foul imo but we will agree to differ on that one.

Bottom line is we won and all went home happy with the 3 points which were well deserved on overall performance.

Toaods
19-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Ref was nearest and called it in our favour, enough contact to be deemed a foul imo but we will agree to differ on that one.

:agree:... a referee with a reputation for not giving penalties, infact very little anything when it comes to his history in handling games involving Hibs.

as Andy Gray says every 'if you make a challenge for the ball and make contact but not with the ball you're giving the referee the opportunity to penalise you.' It's not the way I was brought up watching football but it's the way the rules are interpreted now.

lapsedhibee
19-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Fair do's LH.

Bottom line is we won and all went home happy with the 3 points which were well deserved on overall performance.

Not suggesting Scottish refereeing is inconsistent or anything :fibber:, but howzaboutthis for some contact in the box not deemed to be a foul?

50 seconds in:

EskbankHibby
19-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Not suggesting Scottish refereeing is inconsistent or anything :fibber:, but howzaboutthis for some contact in the box not deemed to be a foul?

50 seconds in:

Another stonewaller :greengrin.

Leithenhibby
19-10-2009, 09:33 PM
It's just a thought, but is there anything that the camera misses?

Shirt tugging or arm(s) around Benji...As I say, just a thought.
Trying not to feel too sorry for JJ. :faf:

Roll on the top of the table clash....(when was the last time a Hibby could say that) :greengrin

Minder
19-10-2009, 09:39 PM
If you want to see a controversial penalty....wait till we go to Ibrox.

Toaods
19-10-2009, 10:59 PM
It's just a thought, but is there anything that the camera misses?

Shirt tugging or arm(s) around Benji.

nope, that camera showed everythig it could...notice we don;t really see anything from the middle of the West stand , which is the same angle Thompson was looking at it from.

Richard Gordon suggested as much and that Thompson was well positioned for it.

Nope ...Honest man Billy Dodds slams Benji for terrible behaviour. I'm sure he'll be telling us all next week that Hogg or bamba were rightly penalised for making contact with Boyd though...:rolleyes:

craig1875
19-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Looks softer on the highlights i have to agree.

Yes but if someone walked past you in the street and there was that much contact, would you fall over? Never a penalty.

hughio
20-10-2009, 01:20 PM
No question about it IMO

No penalty

Ref was crap.He bottled it because the crowd were getting to him

Sir David Gray
20-10-2009, 01:50 PM
It's up there as one of the worst penalty decisions I have ever seen. As much as I am delighted that we got the three points that I think we fully deserved, I agree with what Billy Dodds said last night about how Benji should be a little embarrassed for going down like that. I'm not even sure that the defender made any contact whatsoever.

Put it this way, if the shoe was on the other foot and Kilmarnock had got a penalty under the same circumstances, I would be absolutely fuming.

_hucks_
20-10-2009, 02:28 PM
It's up there as one of the worst penalty decisions I have ever seen. As much as I am delighted that we got the three points that I think we fully deserved, I agree with what Billy Dodds said last night about how Benji should be a little embarrassed for going down like that. I'm not even sure that the defender made any contact whatsoever.

Put it this way, if the shoe was on the other foot and Kilmarnock had got a penalty under the same circumstances, I would be absolutely fuming.

Thing is, it's not even like it's out of character for him. I'll admit that I can't think of specific incidents, but I remember thinking that he's taken a dive, gone down to easily, or stayed down too long on several occasions before now. Just because we're Hibs and we have class, doesn't mean that we're completely immune to having the odd diver in the team.

blackpoolhibs
20-10-2009, 02:53 PM

:top marks:agree: Although its great to get a decision like that now and then, they are normally only awarded to the bigots. :thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
20-10-2009, 03:38 PM

:agree: 100% when did we ever get a decision like that.

Not so sure I'd agree with Billy Dodds tho, this little tu*d could con the best Refs in his time. Pot, Kettle, spring tae mind.

Hibs90
20-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Who cares? We won the game didn't we? That decision there will most likely make up for the dodgy penalty the Huns get at Greyskull this weekend.

Toaods
20-10-2009, 05:03 PM
not so sure i'd agree with billy dodds tho, this little tu*d could con the best refs in his time. Pot, kettle, spring tae mind.

or swings and roundabouts.

murraymckirdy
20-05-2010, 07:52 PM

Ye i can see ur point but is over and done with now so:bye: And on the bamba going to liverpool/lens thing i want him to stay but i wouldny be surprised if he went:worried::worried::worried:http://2media.nowpublic.net/images//16/1e/161ed8d85672392d8877459d7f99dc60.jpg

Mon_the_cabbage
21-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Ye i can see ur point but is over and done with now so:bye: And on the bamba going to liverpool/lens thing i want him to stay but i wouldny be surprised if he went:worried::worried::worried:http://2media.nowpublic.net/images//16/1e/161ed8d85672392d8877459d7f99dc60.jpg

If your keyboard has an F5 key I would strongly recommend that you press it before replying to any more threads.

murraymckirdy
21-08-2010, 02:56 PM
If your keyboard has an F5 key I would strongly recommend that you press it before replying to any more threads.

Sorry why?:S

Hibercelona
21-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I can't read any of the other posts in this thread due to all the dust. :wink:

iwasthere1972
21-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Sorry why?:S

3 months. :confused:

iwasthere1972
21-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I can't read any of the other posts in this thread due to all the dust. :wink:

I was using my ispy and thought Paul Hartley had another penalty conversation. :grr:

**** the new east stand was built quicker than "Why"

murraymckirdy
21-08-2010, 03:03 PM
3 months. :confused:

Well i was just looking at all my old pots and seen that this joker had replyed about me so:/

iwasthere1972
21-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Well i was just looking at all my old pots and seen that this joker had replyed about me so:/

What did you cook then. :greengrin

Hibercelona
21-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Well ain't you witty with your came backs. :wink: