PDA

View Full Version : Question Hibs v Leeds United 1968

susieq
15-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi!
I just acquired(spelling) a programme for the aformentioned game for the Inter Cities Fairs Cup, don't know what the result was on the night, no doubt someone will!

My question was can anyone point me in the righht direction to find out, if anything the programme may be worth, not for finanial gain, just out of interest.

I have to say it makes interesting reading!

I've just had a wee laugh at the 'lucky' programe prizes, £6 first, £2 second, and a grand £1 third, oh the good old days!!!!!

Susan.

Sherlock Jones
15-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Almondvale Programmes - the wee shop on Albion Road - is selling one for £12.

Link... (http://www.almondvaleprogrammes.co.uk/european.htm)

susieq
15-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Saltire,

I was going to take it to the shop on saturday, but that's satisfied my curiosity! Will give it back to it's owner as they may not know it's value, bit more that than the 6d it cost.

Susan.

Sherlock Jones
15-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks Saltire,

I was going to take it to the shop on saturday, but that's satisfied my curiosity! Will give it back to it's owner as they may not know it's value, bit more that than the 6d it cost.

Susan.

I'll give them 9d for it :greengrin

susieq
15-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Hahaha:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
15-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi!
I just acquired(spelling) a programme for the aformentioned game for the Inter Cities Fairs Cup, don't know what the result was on the night, no doubt someone will!

Susan.

1-0 for leeds at elland road in the first leg and 1-1 at ER in the return, they went on to win the cup, beating rangers in the QF's...then dundee in the semi's (yep...dundee) leeds also won the last fairs cup before it changed to the UEFA cup, we played them in the UEFA cup as well, drawing 0-0 at both elland road and ER...going out on penalty's (pat stanton missing :boo hoo:)

ACLeith
15-10-2009, 07:07 PM
IIRC we scored early on (Colin Stein ?) and it was still 1-0 until last few minutes. It was the first year of the goalie "4-step rule" and our keeper, Willie Wilson, was penalised for this when challenged by Mick Jones. Indirect free kick in the area, they lobbed it over and Jack Charlton bundled it in.

That team was the start of the "Dirty Leeds" knickname - well deserved IMO that night :agree:

Hope my memory isn't playing tricks with me as I've hated Leeds for 40 years since that night - not that I'm one to hold a grudge, you understand :grr:

Franck Stanton
15-10-2009, 07:16 PM
IIRC we scored early on (Colin Stein ?) and it was still 1-0 until last few minutes. It was the first year of the goalie "4-step rule" and our keeper, Willie Wilson, was penalised for this when challenged by Mick Jones. Indirect free kick in the area, they lobbed it over and Jack Charlton bundled it in.

That team was the start of the "Dirty Leeds" knickname - well deserved IMO that night :agree:

Hope my memory isn't playing tricks with me as I've hated Leeds for 40 years since that night - not that I'm one to hold a grudge, you understand :grr:
Yup, your memory serves you well, I was in the "cowshed" [ what is now the North Stand) that night and Billy Bremner was outstanding for Leeds, even playing "keepie-uppy" on his own goal line at one point. To say we were robbed is an understatement.

ancient hibee
15-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Yup, your memory serves you well, I was in the "cowshed" [ what is now the North Stand) that night and Billy Bremner was outstanding for Leeds, even playing "keepie-uppy" on his own goal line at one point. To say we were robbed is an understatement.
You're confusing two nights-the Billy Bremner "exhibition"was the 0-0 penalties game.

Exiled Hibby
16-10-2009, 09:57 AM
You're confusing two nights-the Billy Bremner "exhibition"was the 0-0 penalties game.

correct.
Despite it being against the Hibees, i thought Bremners performance that night was unbelievable - he even scored the final (winning) penalty. Paddy had missed the very first kick.
Hibs were superb that night, as indeed they were in the away leg. Like them or hate them Leeds were a world class (and dirty) team in those days.

Jack
16-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I put a Hex on Leeds United (0-0, penalties) that night.

What has happened since? :devil:

MSK
16-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Yup, your memory serves you well, I was in the "cowshed" [ what is now the North Stand) that night and Billy Bremner was outstanding for Leeds, even playing "keepie-uppy" on his own goal line at one point. To say we were robbed is an understatement.Didnt know hibs tried to sign Bremner ...

From the mighty mighty whites

"Bremner did not realise it at the time but Hibernian were desperately keen to secure his services. 'Later, I got to know they came in for me at £30,000 ... it was a colossal amount of money then. Little did the Hibs manager know the gaffer had made up his mind I wasn't going. Don would want £35,000, then £40,000.

Then I gradually settled down and started playing well, although I was on and off the transfer list.' Revie was quite desperate not to lose Bremner. He had already fended off a bid from Everton, who were prepared to pay £25,000. The offer had been a considerable temptation to the Leeds United directors, ever mindful of the club's crippling debts."

heretoday
16-10-2009, 09:18 PM
1-0 for leeds at elland road in the first leg and 1-1 at ER in the return, they went on to win the cup, beating rangers in the QF's...then dundee in the semi's (yep...dundee) leeds also won the last fairs cup before it changed to the UEFA cup, we played them in the UEFA cup as well, drawing 0-0 at both elland road and ER...going out on penalty's (pat stanton missing :boo hoo:)

That was the game when Hibs goalie (Wilson) got penalised for carrying the ball. A foul which had never been actually whistled for since about 1909.

Leeds were a tough bunch of guys. They were also corrupt.

greenlex
16-10-2009, 09:23 PM
That was the game when Hibs goalie (Wilson) got penalised for carrying the ball. A foul which had never been actually whistled for since about 1909.

Leeds were a tough bunch of cats. They were also corrupt.

You feline alright tonight?:greengrin