PDA

View Full Version : Rangers giving CL tickets to the army

Keith_M
15-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Apparently, Rangers are giving tickets to the whole away section of the ground for their Euro game against Romanian team Unirea Urziceni. report (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/Rangers-to-give-away-section.5737224.jp)

Now, if this was any other club, I'd just take this as a genuine gesture to the armed forces. However, I can't help suspecting that this is all based on Rangers attempts to assert more of the so-called 'Pride over Prejudice' campaign that sees them cynically wrapped up in the UJ, loyalty to the Union/Crown, etc. Also, it could be taken partly as a 'get it up ye' to the anti-british-army legions at Darkheid.

I may be being overly cynical in this but I've seen so much of these clubs actions as just an attempt to cash in on the OF/NI sectarian divide I can't see past this as being just a continuation.

Green Mikey
15-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Apparently, Rangers are giving tickets to the whole away section of the ground for their Euro game against Romanian team Unirea Urziceni. report (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/Rangers-to-give-away-section.5737224.jp)

Now, if this was any other club, I'd just take this as a genuine gesture to the armed forces. However, I can't help suspecting that this is all based on Rangers attempts to assert more of the so-called 'Pride over Prejudice' campaign that sees them cynically wrapped up in the UJ, loyalty to the Union/Crown, etc. Also, it could be taken partly as a 'get it up ye' to the anti-british-army legions at Darkheid.

I may be being overly cynical in this but I've seen so much of these clubs actions as just an attempt to cash in on the OF/NI sectarian divide I can't see past this as being just a continuation.

Did Hibs not do something similar recently? Think it might have been posted on here.

I think this is a good gesture from Rangers but due to their vile history and legions of sectarian fans it will never be viewed by the non-Rangers public in a favourable manner.

iwasthere1972
15-10-2009, 04:34 PM

The tickets are only worth £50,000 if the match was going to be a sell out. The opposition didn't want the allocation and Rangers won't sell out the remainder of the ground so the seats would have been empty anyway. Makes the Huns look good when in fact they have donated nothing.

:devil:

Magnifique
15-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Dont know jack **** about politics or religion and dont care
The fact of the matter is that any show of appreciation for the army in my book is welcome

WELL DONE RANGERS

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 05:01 PM
If rangers handed out free money id still find them suspicious, dubious and ultimately odious. Indeed, the most vile, rotten, rancid, biggoted and ultimately shameless football club in the world would need to get down on their collective knees, having rolled their trooser legs back doon first and collectively beg for forgiveness for over 100 years of their dispicable behaviour and their existence.

Thereafter, I might consider them to be marginally less reprehensible. Til then, I'm thinking there is nothing they can do to redeem themselves, save for perhaps pissing off to england with their vile cousins celtic.

ENDOF

FranckSuzy
15-10-2009, 05:13 PM
The fact of the matter is that any show of appreciation for the army in my book is welcome

WELL DONE RANGERS

Totally agree with the above BUT, is it just me, but does this not present a massive security risk :confused: ? Advertising that there will be hundreds of troops at the game.........

Jack
15-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Did Hibs not do something similar recently? Think it might have been posted on here.

I think this is a good gesture from Rangers but due to their vile history and legions of sectarian fans it will never be viewed by the non-Rangers public in a favourable manner.

I made a suggestion, on here, that Hibs should do it but I cant recall it ever happening. It would be blummin typical of Hibs to do something like this and not make a big deal of it!

The tickets are only worth £50,000 if the match was going to be a sell out. The opposition didn't want the allocation and Rangers won't sell out the remainder of the ground so the seats would have been empty anyway. Makes the Huns look good when in fact they have donated nothing.

Absolutely right, but it’s still a good thing they’ve done.

Woody1985
15-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I made a suggestion, on here, that Hibs should do it but I cant recall it ever happening. It would be blummin typical of Hibs to do something like this and not make a big deal of it!

Absolutely right, but it’s still a good thing they’ve done.

They did. Free STs IIRC to armed forces families.

Jack
15-10-2009, 05:37 PM
They did. Free STs IIRC to armed forces families.

Well done the Hibees :applause:

Typical almost no-one heard about it :cool2:

Zimmy
15-10-2009, 05:56 PM
If rangers handed out free money id still find them suspicious, dubious and ultimately odious. Indeed, the most vile, rotten, rancid, biggoted and ultimately shameless football club in the world would need to get down on their collective knees, having rolled their trooser legs back doon first and collectively beg for forgiveness for over 100 years of their dispicable behaviour and their existence.

Thereafter, I might consider them to be marginally less reprehensible. Til then, I'm thinking there is nothing they can do to redeem themselves, save for perhaps pissing off to england with their vile cousins celtic.

ENDOF

Welcome back Dude:thumbsup:

ENDOF

Westie1875
15-10-2009, 05:56 PM

There was a small article on the official website I think but that was it, no song and dance was made of it. :cool2:

ancienthibby
15-10-2009, 05:58 PM

WELL DONE RANGERS

Just another cynical Union Jack ploy by the Greyskullers.:bye:

Shrekko
15-10-2009, 07:05 PM
There was a small article on the official website I think but that was it, no song and dance was made of it. :cool2:

Thats the way I'd prefer it to be so well done Hibs.

Rangers are taking point scoring to new levels. Giving tickets to the troops is something they should be doing without calling the media round for photo shoots.

hibsbollah
15-10-2009, 07:07 PM

ENDOF

I think someone's been watching their Braveheart video:greengrin

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I think someone's been watching their Braveheart video:greengrin

Foiled...I did indeed "borrow" (chore) that part but heyho, everyone knows Mel McGibson couldn't have put it better himself :greengrin

Anyways, the sentiment is the same. They're all getts...

ENDOF :grr:

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Welcome back Dude:thumbsup:

ENDOF

:aok:

OtterHibee
15-10-2009, 07:36 PM

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/hibernian-donate-tickets-to-army-families-20090917_2262950_1800350

duncs
15-10-2009, 07:37 PM
It is a nice gesture, but the cynic in me says this wouldn't be happening if the game against this mob had sold-out, it hasn't - so RFC are combating the bad press they would have about not selling out a Champions League match with the fact they have given free tickets to the armed forces.

I think the difference between our initiative and theirs is that frankly, Hibs have a much better record of community engagement (for the whole community I would add) rather than this hacked-together idea that's only happening because the "die-hards" aren't willing to shell out to watch the Huns play some rank-rotten football with 11 men behind the ball at home against an unglamourus Eastern European outfit.

As mentioned previously, I treat anything that comes out of Celtic Park or Ibrox with cynicism and thinly veiled contempt.

ancient hibee
15-10-2009, 07:39 PM
In years gone by the Armed Forces always got in at boys gate prices.

Dashing Bob S
15-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Agree it's a scam, but if that vile institution invented cancer and AIDS cures, it would only be unleash an more virulent form of sectarian virus.

Imand
15-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Hibs - No fuss a genuine gesture of solidarity with the Armed Forces. :thumbsup:

Rangers - Media Flood and if I heard correctly the Soldiers only get a ticket if they agree to attend the match in uniform, obviously so the TV cameras can easily see how generous the folks at Greyskull are. :bitchy:

Fife-Hibee
15-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Hibs - No fuss a genuine gesture of solidarity with the Armed Forces. :thumbsup:

Rangers - Media Flood and if I heard correctly the Soldiers only get a ticket if they agree to attend the match in uniform, obviously so the TV cameras can easily see how generous the folks at Greyskull are. :bitchy:

Your joking' Right ?

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 08:11 PM
I wonder how all their nazi salutes will go down with the army present???

I can just see some stupid hun ned firing the salute...and promptly being smacked in the boat for his wideness. And in fact, on that point, I think it's going to be quite interesting....:devil:

Antifa Hibs
15-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Cracking from Rangers. Marketing at it's finest!

Gers fans aren't best pleased with Rangers FC as A) They are pesh and B) They are robbing barstewards. £38 is the price of a ticket for this game. It's win win for Rangers, they appease the gullable fans thinking Rangers PLC care about the soldiers and they get some good marketing, que the headlines - Rangers give away 1000 tickets to "Our Boys", when the ain't really giving away the seats as they'd be empty anyway, along with 10000 or so more.

You can gurantee that if this was against Liverpool or Barca and the game was a dead cert to sellout, the only soldiers at the game would be the ones paying £40 a ticket.

Que Celtic doing something similar, get rid of their Republican anti-British element and get in the good books of the SFA, the media etc.

givescotlandfreedom
15-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Baws, weegie media anyone? No mention of Hibs giving out SEASON TICKETS on BBC site but when the Huns give out tickets for one game (!) that won't sell out it's in the national news section not even just the sports one http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8308531.stm Usual crap reporting from them.

Bishop Hibee
15-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Cracking from Rangers. Marketing at it's finest!

Gers fans aren't best pleased with Rangers FC as A) They are pesh and B) They are robbing barstewards. £38 is the price of a ticket for this game. It's win win for Rangers, they appease the gullable fans thinking Rangers PLC care about the soldiers and they get some good marketing, que the headlines - Rangers give away 1000 tickets to "Our Boys", when the ain't really giving away the seats as they'd be empty anyway, along with 10000 or so more.

You can gurantee that if this was against Liverpool or Barca and the game was a dead cert to sellout, the only soldiers at the game would be the ones paying £40 a ticket.

Que Celtic doing something similar, get rid of their Republican anti-British element and get in the good books of the SFA, the media etc.

More chance of The Queen becoming Life President of Celtc than members of the armed forces being given free tickets at Darkheid.

Betty Boop
15-10-2009, 11:00 PM
More chance of The Queen becoming Life President of Celtc than members of the armed forces being given free tickets at Darkheid.

No, but Celtic have made a donation to War Child.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_151009163652.aspx

gorgie_harp
16-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Just another cynical Union Jack ploy by the Greyskullers.:bye:

It is indeed. :agree::grr:

Keith_M
16-10-2009, 07:59 AM
No, but Celtic have made a donation to War Child.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_151009163652.aspx

Maybe the day that Rangers make a donation to "The sisters of divine mercy"* or whatever, and Celtic donate to "Families of disabled British army veterans"* I won't be so cynical about them. Until then, I reserve the right to be suspicous about everything they do.

* I obviously made up those names, instead of mentioning real charities in this context. Thought it was appropriate.

Antifa Hibs
16-10-2009, 08:12 AM

Celtic gave tickets to a few Celtic supporting soldiers.

They've also in the past gave the British Army mentions over the tannoy aswell as display pictures of soldiers on their big screens.

sadtom
16-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Totally agree with the above BUT, is it just me, but does this not present a massive security risk :confused: ? Advertising that there will be hundreds of troops at the game.........

Lets hope the South Armagh Taliban or the West Belfast Al Qaeda division havent tippled.
If they hear a cry of 'Paddy akbar!' it would mean certain danger!

JackRegan
16-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Maybe the day that Rangers make a donation to "The sisters of divine mercy"* or whatever, and Celtic donate to "Families of disabled British army veterans"* I won't be so cynical about them. Until then, I reserve the right to be suspicous about everything they do.

* I obviously made up those names, instead of mentioning real charities in this context. Thought it was appropriate.

Der hun have made chairtable donations to the GAA in Ireland and the RC Arch Diocese of Glasgow in 2009. Much to the annoyance fo the rabid lot on Follow Follow:greengrin

Hey, they get to write off £50k from their tax bill as a chairty donation and earn some extra dough in program and pie sales, in a game that will be lucky to sell 40,000 tickets. :agree:

Peter Lover of Bonuses would have done the same, but it would not be worth losing the Season Ticket income of the 5 or 6 thousand dafties who think we're teh sporting wing of Sinn Fein.

JackRegan
16-10-2009, 08:25 AM

ENDOF

Big Chap, after me, your the best poster on here. :thumbsup:

Effin' love your posts!

Phil MaGlass
16-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Are there 40,000 forces members out there for all the seats that will be empty that night?

MacBean
16-10-2009, 08:56 AM

very good point Franck!

Wonder if we will see hundreds of Robes in the stand next to them? :duck: