PDA

View Full Version : Scotland, England, Wales & N.Ireland

puff the dragon
15-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Should unite as a UK football team and unite as one big football league.

SPL is stale - if/when Old firm leave Hibs will have to go south as well or turn part time. Would prob get more fans too as people will be less inclined to go to Glasgow if the Old Firm are not winning every week.

This should also lead to the creation of a United Kingdom national team. I'm not surprised the other countries in UEFA/FIFA also want this as we are currently in a position where one country could theoretically have 4 Wolrd Cup/European Champs final places. Means we will also see our team not only in the finals but with a good chance of winning World Cups/European Championships.

Also, we have seen a few times where the UK has had 6 Champions League group stage entrants.

We are one country, time to unite and end all the pettiness that exists between our regions of the UK.

Woody1985
15-10-2009, 01:10 PM
You been chasing dragons?

I like having a scotland team. :greengrin

M8UDB
15-10-2009, 01:11 PM

SPL is stale - if/when Old firm leave Hibs will have to go south as well or turn part time. Would prob get more fans too as people will be less inclined to go to Glasgow if the Old Firm are not winning every week.

This should also lead to the creation of a United Kingdom national team. I'm not surprised the other countries in UEFA/FIFA also want this as we are currently in a position where one country could theoretically have 4 Wolrd Cup/European Champs final places. Means we will also see our team not only in the finals but with a good chance of winning World Cups/European Championships.

Also, we have seen a few times where the UK has had 6 Champions League group stage entrants.

We are one country, time to unite and end all the pettiness that exists between our regions of the UK.

Aye nae bother :bye:

Mikey
15-10-2009, 01:12 PM
A UK league would solve a lot of problems. The lower levels of the structure could be regionalised. Sounds good to me.

dangermouse
15-10-2009, 01:15 PM
What happens when we gain independence? :wink:

legends of 73
15-10-2009, 01:16 PM

talking pish move along now daftie:bye:

Antifa Hibs
15-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I'd love a UK league. I think we'd compete at a Championship level :agree:

Never happen though. No reason the English would want it. We're stuck with this pesh :boo hoo:

puff the dragon
15-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Never going to happen dude so won't be an issue.

A UK football league will be one of the final nails in the foolish ideals of Nationalism.

haagsehibby
15-10-2009, 01:21 PM
:fishin:

Frazerbob
15-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Never going to happen dude so won't be an issue.

A UK football league will be one of the final nails in the foolish ideals of Nationalism.

Judging by the reaction to a possible Team GB for a one-off tournament, I think it's safe to say a UK league or national side are even less likely to happen.

Sylar
15-10-2009, 01:23 PM
You've posted 2 threads which I can recall in recent times.

Your mindless tirade against students, and now this.

Theres certainly a theme to your posts, and I can only deduce that a) you like to spraff absolute pish, or b) you like to initiate some sort of debate.

I know where my money lies.

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Brilliant idea. We'll sack the entire SFA/SFL staff.

We'll let the EPL/English FA decide which team deserves to start where in the leagues.

We'll watch England represent the "UK" and see the odd Scottish/Welsh/NI sub on the bench or maybe in the squad.

Meantime, I'm off to lobby parliament (the Scottish Parliament) to ensure PritStick is a controlled substance from now on.

:thumbsup:

ENDOF

puff the dragon
15-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Judging by the reaction to a possible Team GB for a one-off tournament, I think it's safe to say a UK league or national side are even less likely to happen.

I want a team GB in the Olympics.

I also like to see England, Wales and N.Ireland do well in World Cups.

There are some who still think this is the times of Braveheart who hold onto the past. Stalls progress.

As much as most people hate Thatcher - she did what had to be done to move this country forward. Closing mines and hammering trade unionists was required for the country to prosper.

Same shake up is required to the sporting industry.

puff the dragon
15-10-2009, 01:30 PM

We'll let the EPL/English FA decide which team deserves to start where in the leagues.

We'll watch England represent the "UK" and see the odd Scottish/Welsh/NI sub on the bench or maybe in the squad.

Meantime, I'm off to lobby parliament (the Scottish Parliament) to ensure PritStick is a controlled substance from now on.

ENDOF

English FA decide - won't happen. What will simply happen is that in the final season each league will have a positins system (i.e. top 2 in SPL and top 18 in EPL = UKPL, next 3 in SPL, bottom 2 in EPL and top 15 in CHamp = UK1st Division etc, then you bring the N.Irish and other Welsh in based on rankings given to their leagues.

Also, if a Scottish player was good enough he'd soon get a game - it just happens that at present the only non-English player that would make the cut is Ryan Giggs.

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 01:30 PM

There are some who still think this is the times of Braveheart who hold onto the past. Stalls progress.

As much as most people hate Thatcher - she did what had to be done to move this country forward. Closing mines and hammering trade unionists was required for the country to prosper.

Would ye like to be the first to sign my petition against recreational use of PritStick? :devil:

No no, I don't jest about these matters. I come with a serious and meaningful campaign. The effects of this stuff is unknown even to the greatest scientific minds on this here planet.

Indeed, just a few sniffs and it could send a man into lunacy...:blah:

Calvin
15-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I love the idea of a British football league. It's no coincidence that the five best leagues in europe are of the five most populous countries (excluding Ukraine and Russia). Scotland is just too small for a good league.

I think that although the carrot of European football would disappear for Scottish clubs, week in week out we'd see better football and I'd enjoy travelling Britain.

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 01:31 PM
English FA decide - won't happen. What will simply happen is that in the final season each league will have a positins system (i.e. top 2 in SPL and top 18 in EPL = UKPL, next 3 in SPL, bottom 2 in EPL and top 15 in CHamp = UK1st Division etc, then you bring the N.Irish and other Welsh in based on rankings given to their leagues.

Also, if a Scottish player was good enough he'd soon get a game - it just happens that at present the only non-English player that would make the cut is Ryan Giggs.

:faf::faf::faf:

Quick quick, sign the petition now and save yerself son.

:faf::faf::faf:

DOON WI THE PRITSTICK :faf:

Cocaine&Caviar
15-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Craig Gordon? Alan Hutton?

GreenOnions
15-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Much as I like a good old debate Puff I think you'll have to work a little harder than you have to draw a link between these issues for readers of this thread. Until that point I will content myself by having a little chuckle.

puff the dragon
15-10-2009, 01:38 PM

Not exactly setting the EPL on fire.

Gordon keeps getting dropped and Hutton is always injured.

RIP
15-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Should unite as a UK football team and unite as one big football league. We are one country, time to unite and end all the pettiness that exists between our regions of the UK.

Independence? - Never going to happen dude so won't be an issue. A UK football league will be one of the final nails in the foolish ideals of Nationalism.

I want a team GB in the Olympics. I also like to see England, Wales and N.Ireland do well in World Cups. There are some who still think this is the times of Braveheart who hold onto the past. Stalls progress. As much as most people hate Thatcher - she did what had to be done to move this country forward. Closing mines and hammering trade unionists was required for the country to prosper. Same shake up is required to the sporting industry.

Are you gutted at the possibility of your party having to accept non-white members?

puff the dragon
15-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Are you gutted at the possibility of your party having to accept non-white members?

It's a sad state that our country now links pro-Britishness to BNP support.

Cocaine&Caviar
15-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Not exactly setting the EPL on fire.

Gordon keeps getting dropped and Hutton is always injured.

But more than competetive with their English counterparts, i would have Gordon ahead of Green, Foster and James every day of the week; and Hutton is up there with Glen Johnson...

puff the dragon
15-10-2009, 01:55 PM
But more than competetive with their English counterparts, i would have Gordon ahead of Green, Foster and James every day of the week; and Hutton is up there with Glen Johnson...

After Gordon's antics with Deano a few years ago i wouldn't give that CHEAT the steam of my pish!

offshorehibby
15-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Another good case for Scottish independence.

pacorosssco
15-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I think if scotland lost its national team it would be the launch pad the independence parties have been looking for, for years.

Many people dont vote for a number of reasons mostly no faith in any party/cant be bothered nothing much effects them . Many people are unsure on independence that is sure however we do still very much have our own identity especailly in sport. If we lost the national team that would be very much damaged. This would be a cause for people to get up and vote .

FWIW I would never follow a United Kingdom team the same as I would never have supported an Edinburgh United.

Walet Mercer spoke of tribalisim . I think it would be ten times worse if we lost the National Team.

Dashing Bob S
15-10-2009, 01:58 PM

ENDOF

BM! It is you! Bad form, going off and getting yourself a life, leaving all us sad nerds chained to Hibs net.

Anyway, delighted have to have you back, old man!

Keith_M
15-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Can I just say that, IMHO, everyone is entitled to their views, political or otherwise as long as they are not deliberately offensive to others.

However, just because you're entitled to your views does not exclude the possibility that you'll have the p*sh ripped out of you for them if everybody else thinks you're a weirdo. That, my friend, is what's called free speech.

In that light, I, as one of what you call 'Bravehearts', would like to let you know that the Conservative Party Conference is over, so please toddle along to your constituency office and start preparing for power in England.

:bye:

Dashing Bob S
15-10-2009, 02:00 PM

ENDOF

Are you secretly trying to sell this nutty idea of a UK team?

crewetollhibee
15-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Why ? Because we are pish just now ? Could have imagined the reaction in Scotland if this suggestion had come from down south when we were qualifying for World Cups and no other home nation was. Just take one of the flying variety !! :bye:

heretoday
15-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I can see the top Scottish sides all trying to join a British League at some point. Blue Square Prem anyone?

Cabbage East
15-10-2009, 02:32 PM
You should stick to chasing the dragon.

Andy74
15-10-2009, 02:35 PM

That's different though as we wouldn't have got anyone in that side!

In a league we would all be entitled to enter and as has been said, Hibs would surely be a decent championship side. I wouldn't go to amnay away games but it'd be great.

As for a UK team, it'd have to happen if the leagues were joined and that's where i see your point that people would be more upset by that than the leagues merging.

Tricla
15-10-2009, 02:49 PM

:faf:

LTEF

Mag7
15-10-2009, 02:51 PM

ENDOF

Most folk would probably see that as a good thing. I know I would.

Alicky Ranks
15-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Would somebody be good enough to merge this thread with the one started today on the same theme? Thanks.

jgl07
15-10-2009, 03:07 PM
They struggle to be consistent starters in the League teams.

sambajustice
15-10-2009, 03:09 PM
This guy is mad!!!

:crazy::crazy:

:panic::panic:

cabbageandribs1875
15-10-2009, 03:32 PM
the dragons certainly been puffin on something

iwasthere1972
15-10-2009, 04:14 PM
This guy is mad!!!

:crazy::crazy:

:panic::panic:

Gotta :agree: with you there.

A British domestic league perhaps but the idea of a UK national team is just plain bonkers. You only have to look at the British Lions rugby team to see how many Scots are considered. Okay the Scotland rugby team are gash but are probably no worse than the football team. Same thing would happen.

We are a country and have every right to compete as one and this should never be forgotten. Say NO now to a UK team.

END OF :thumbsup:

Welcome back Bad Martini. :agree:

steakbake
15-10-2009, 04:21 PM
:bye: :troll:

Green Mikey
15-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Another good case for Scottish independence.

I think if scotland lost its national team it would be the launch pad the independence parties have been looking for, for years.

Many people dont vote for a number of reasons mostly no faith in any party/cant be bothered nothing much effects them . Many people are unsure on independence that is sure however we do still very much have our own identity especailly in sport. If we lost the national team that would be very much damaged. This would be a cause for people to get up and vote .

FWIW I would never follow a United Kingdom team the same as I would never have supported an Edinburgh United.

Walet Mercer spoke of tribalisim . I think it would be ten times worse if we lost the National Team.

I struggle to understand why people would equate football so closely with independence. This would be one of the most inconsequential reasons for a major national change.

I despair at the ignorance of the Scottish electorate :bitchy:

steakbake
15-10-2009, 04:31 PM
I struggle to understand why people would equate football so closely with independence. This would be one of the most inconsequential reasons for a major national change.

I despair at the ignorance of the Scottish electorate :bitchy:

Who do you think people should vote for and why?

A UK league isn't ever going to happen, so why should it go from that to berating the Scottish electorate about being idiots? I'm sure all the sensible ones agree with you, is that right?

vahibbie
15-10-2009, 04:37 PM
BM! It is you! Bad form, going off and getting yourself a life, leaving all us sad nerds chained to Hibs net.

BM if you're finished with that life you had, can you pass it on to the OP'er
He needs one.

Welcome back ENDOF:wink:

Green Mikey
15-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Who do you think people should vote for and why?
A UK league isn't ever going to happen, so why should it go from that to berating the Scottish electorate about being idiots? I'm sure all the sensible ones agree with you, is that right?

My post was expression of astonishment that people would use the establishment of a UK league as a reason for independence. I don't believe that football is of great enough imprtance to be included in the rationale for an independant Scotland.

If someone said to me that Scotland should be independant because of football I would consider them to be ignorant.

How do you know a UK league is never going to happen? Do the sensible ones agree with you on this?

Hibster
15-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Agree about having a UK league, which would be great - completely disagree about having a UK team though. Will never happen anyway - its not just the majority of Scots who wouldn't want it to happen, the vast majority in England wouldn't want it either.

LancsHibs
15-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Would like to see Hibs play in a UK league, invite teams from both side of the border in Ireland into the structure would make it interesting, clubs would soon find their level and be able to grow to their true potential:agree:
This would however threaten the national team and therefore a non starter, the national team (***** as they are) must be protected as a matter of national identity.
Getting the ROI teams on board could be the key as UEFA could not touch their national team and therefore make it more difficult to alter the status of those of the 'home nations'

steakbake
15-10-2009, 04:58 PM
My post was expression of astonishment that people would use the establishment of a UK league as a reason for independence. I don't believe that football is of great enough imprtance to be included in the rationale for an independant Scotland.

If someone said to me that Scotland should be independant because of football I would consider them to be ignorant.

How do you know a UK league is never going to happen? Do the sensible ones agree with you on this?

Well, your right, I don't have a telescope into the future. But if the OF are having a hard time selling the idea of an additional 2 very well supported teams with 50k+ capacities and multi-million pound international marketing potential joining the EPL, then I think those supporting a UK league will struggle to convince Darlington, Plymouth and TNS Caersws that making the long trip to Inverness for a midweek league match would be worth their while. I suspect the Atlantic League has more chance of happening than a UK league.

Each to their own. I find the idea that Scotland shouldn't be independent because "we are too small" to be equally as idiotic as supporting independence because of a grievance over football, but its a bit of a leap to accuse the entire Scottish electorate of being ignorant either way, don't you think?

Craig_in_Prague
15-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I think the leagues should stay as they are, perhaps the SPL can be tinkered, more teams, or a different structure - but i would be all for a British Cup, maybe replacing Scotlands and English (old) league cups, that don't = UEFA cup qualification anymore anyway, so that could be an interesting cup for the fans and teams.

No to a UK league for me though.

Hibster
15-10-2009, 05:06 PM

I agree, inevitably the two things seem to get mixed together though. Rightly or wrongly a huge amount of importance is placed on the fact that we have a seperate national team - gives the impression that Scotland has always been a seperate country, whereas places like Catalonia - politically in a similar position but without its own national team - tend not to be.

Its interesting to think - had there never been seperate teams, and only ever one British team, would there be a greater sense of Britishness and unity throughout this island? I know there's a lot more to national identity than just football, but its possible that having just the one team to support would have gradually changed peoples attitudes towards being British

Green Mikey
15-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Well, your right, I don't have a telescope into the future. But if the OF are having a hard time selling the idea of an additional 2 very well supported teams with 50k+ capacities and multi-million pound international marketing potential joining the EPL, then I think those supporting a UK league will struggle to convince Darlington, Plymouth and TNS Caersws that making the long trip to Inverness for a midweek league match would be worth their while. I suspect the Atlantic League has more chance of happening than a UK league.

Each to their own. I find the idea that Scotland shouldn't be independent because "we are too small" to be equally as idiotic as supporting independence because of a grievance over football, but its a bit of a leap to accuse the entire Scottish electorate of being ignorant either way, don't you think?

OK then not all of the electorate....just the people that don't agree with me:greengrin I'll admit it was a leap to say everyone is ignorant.

If there was to be a UK league, at a certain level there would have to be regional leagues established to avoid the problems you have described. Personally, I don't think a UK league is likely because of the scale of the re-organisation that would be needed and the inevitable resistance from Football Association officials in each country who would see there comfy jobs disappear.

LancsHibs
15-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I can see the top Scottish sides all trying to join a British League at some point. Blue Square Prem anyone?

If Hibs were offered a place in next seasons Blue Square Prem I think it would be worth serious consideration:cool2: Could see us raising up the leagues to Championship level at least, quite quickly:agree:

Kato
15-10-2009, 05:11 PM

I can see on one hand that you've given this a lot of thought, on the other hand your also talking the most utter drivel.

Why would the EPL vote to allow all this?

Why should football be used as your political, errrm, football?

Why should the Nations which make up the United Kingdom allow themselves to be relegated to being "regions"?

Why did you waste your time even considering this?

Why do birds suddenly appear?

oconnors_strip
15-10-2009, 05:26 PM

and when hibs play "away" games down south how many fans will be there to watch them? some fans struggle finacially to follow hibs at easter road never mind to glasgow/aberdeen etc. they certainly wont be able to afford to travel to portsmouth/london etc every 2nd week.

football will only survive with the fans going every week!

Aubenas
15-10-2009, 06:13 PM
gives the impression that Scotland has always been a seperate country,

Scotland always HAS been a separate country - at least back to Kenneth McAlpin. Do get annoyed when folk confuse Country - Scotland, with State - Britain.

More relevant to the discussion. I'm still waiting for the proof that bigger is always better. Do Man U or Chelsea supporters enjoy their team winning more than Hibs or Hartlepool supporters?

Do people in small countries with financially insignificant leagues care less where their team comes in the League????

We should look at the folks who've formed FC United and AFC Wimbledon - the proof that if football is to survive as a recognisable sport, it needs to link to local communities rather than financial institutions.

I assume if people in Scotland were after the glitz of Premiership 'football' they would already be watching the Bigot Brothers. For the rest of us, it's about our team at whatever level the League finds itself.

'World' football is heading for a situation where a couple of hundred superstars will hawk themselves round to a dozen or so multi millionaires for the benefit of pay as you view telly. Results will eventually come to fit the needs of the business men.

Makes semi pro stuff look very appealing!:grr:

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 06:22 PM

Scotland always HAS been a separate country - at least back to Kenneth McAlpin. Do get annoyed when folk confuse Country - Scotland, with State - Britain.

More relevant to the discussion. I'm still waiting for the proof that bigger is always better. Do Man U or Chelsea supporters enjoy their team winning more than Hibs or Hartlepool supporters?

Do people in small countries with financially insignificant leagues care less where their team comes in the League????

We should look at the folks who've formed FC United and AFC Wimbledon - the proof that if football is to survive as a recognisable sport, it needs to link to local communities rather than financial institutions.

I assume if people in Scotland were after the glitz of Premiership 'football' they would already be watching the Bigot Brothers. For the rest of us, it's about our team at whatever level the League finds itself.

'World' football is heading for a situation where a couple of hundred superstars will hawk themselves round to a dozen or so multi millionaires for the benefit of pay as you view telly. Results will eventually come to fit the needs of the business men.

Makes semi pro stuff look very appealing!:grr:

Great post.

Indeed, if ones only desire is the pursuit of glory, one is unlikely to be furnished with it following Hibs. Following Hibs isn't easy and its doubtful will ever reach previous success levels of the 50's.

We follow Hibs because its the right thing to do.

ENDOF

seamus88
15-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Pigs will fly!!!:wink:

brydekirk
15-10-2009, 06:51 PM
here here :thumbsup::agree:

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 07:22 PM

:thumbsup: cheers Boab

Are you secretly trying to sell this nutty idea of a UK team?

Ah ken. I realised after posting that I was somehow suggesting the SFA/SFL are in some way "competent". Let us strike that from the record right now before it gets out...we canny have that as they most certainly are not in the realms of competence or even half way competent.

Useless bassas, I believe is the phrase required here amigo :agree:

A British domestic league perhaps but the idea of a UK national team is just plain bonkers. You only have to look at the British Lions rugby team to see how many Scots are considered. Okay the Scotland rugby team are gash but are probably no worse than the football team. Same thing would happen.

We are a country and have every right to compete as one and this should never be forgotten. Say NO now to a UK team.

Welcome back ENDOF:wink:

Indeed, its smacks of pritstick. Am gonna lobby for a solution to yon sniffing. Its getting mental radge oot of control so it is :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Hibs in a uk league would be great for me. I'd get to see a lot more away games, as a lot of the teams are around this area. Do i want it, do i ****.

Crazyhorse
16-10-2009, 01:07 AM

British and IRISH lions 'iwasthere' and the team the cheating boks beat was mainly welsh and Irish. But I know what you mean.

FIFA would love to get rid of the current situation but the stalemate will remain so long as the 'Home' nations retain their voting rights.

NGH
16-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Surely the same logic that appplies to the idea British league also applies to a european league?

After a few years the top teams in your british league will want to get together with the top teams in other european leagues to form a new competition for themselves. So instead of being in a league with Manchester United and Liverpool (which is the fantasy that seems to be the spark for all this stuff) you end up in a league with the english/welsh equivalent of the teams you were running away from in the first place.

At the same time - this being a world of unintended consequences - we are now a million miles away from even the regular chance of qualifying for any european competition, unable to afford to follow our team to away grounds due to a combination of cost of distance, without regular local 'derby' matches, up to our eyes in debt incurred trying to maintain our new found 2nd or 3rd tier league status, and without a national team to follow.

It's obviously a brilliant scheme. I can't see why you'll have any problems gaining widespread support for it.

Joe Baker II
16-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Why ? Because we are pish just now ? Could have imagined the reaction in Scotland if this suggestion had come from down south when we were qualifying for World Cups and no other home nation was. Just take one of the flying variety !! :bye:

It frequently did come from English people at this time. And that was before Scotland had limited political autonomy so was much more threatening.

Dr What If?
16-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Pigs will fly!!!:wink:

Swine flew!