PDA

View Full Version : "Man of the Match"

'Mon the Hibs
15-10-2009, 12:09 PM
With David Beckham getting man of the match for his 30 minute cameo for England last night, does this devalue the award, just because it was him?

Interesting debate on radio earlier about this. Is it the sponsors trying to build up the profile of them and the player by going for the 'star'? Do you have to just score goals? You're all round play and influence?

What do you think a player needs to do to get man of the match?

Any cases where it's been handed out to the 'star' unjustly? i.e. De La Cruz on his debut, etc.

Afternoon discussion :greengrin

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 12:12 PM
In my simplistic and straight forward mind I would have thought the man of the match should be given to the man who has stood out for his contribution to the match, all around, however that may be. Could be scoring a vital goal or setting up lots of goals or whatever or keeping the team in it....someone who has had a significant positive impact on the match?

Or is that too radge :greengrin

As for Beckham, he's a fud...didn't he used to parade around in his missus clothes? :confused: Nuff said.

ENDOF :thumbsup:

Frazerbob
15-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I've been involved in a few MOTM scandles over the years. The player announced at the stadium is voted for by the match sponsors and he has to come from the home team. A bit silly if you've just been humpded and somebody scored a hat-trick against you.

There's been a few times that the group I've been with have voted for the "star" player, simply because they want their photo with them. Remember once I was at Aberdeen v Southampton and, because it was a friendly, we could choose any player. Everyone except me voted for James Beattie who was the biggest name in the Southampton squad at the time. He only played the 1st half!

Jonnyboy
15-10-2009, 12:17 PM
With David Beckham getting man of the match for his 30 minute cameo for England last night, does this devalue the award, just because it was him?

Interesting debate on radio earlier about this. Is it the sponsors trying to build up the profile of them and the player by going for the 'star'? Do you have to just score goals? You're all round play and influence?

What do you think a player needs to do to get man of the match?

Any cases where it's been handed out to the 'star' unjustly? i.e. De La Cruz on his debut, etc.

Afternoon discussion :greengrin

Be called Zemmama :greengrin

Seriously though, for my money I reckon that the man of the match should be the one who plays full out until the final whistle, score a high percentage in finding a team mate with a pass, a goal would be nice although assists score highly too.

Craig_in_Prague
15-10-2009, 12:20 PM
It usually goes to a striker, or who scored best / most goals.

It's a pity coz the likes of Brian Kerr lose out, when they've done an incredible amount of unseen work.

Andy74
15-10-2009, 12:23 PM
It's quite simply the person who has the biggest impact on the game.

If you played 2 minutes, scored a hat trick and won the game 3-2 you could be awarded it no problem.

Beckham completely changed the flow of the game when he came on and England went from 1-0 up to 3-0 going on a few more. It wasn't the worst decision I've ever seen.

'Mon the Hibs
15-10-2009, 12:25 PM
If Benji (:devil:) scores a hat-rick (including a penalty and a scuffed tap in) and does sod all else for 90 minutes in a 3-2 victory. Would he be desereving of MotM? His goals won us the game but didn't do much else.

I'm in the 'player has to be influencial and do something special to win games' side of things.

Also, don't understand why we give it out to our players in crappy 2-0 home defeats to St Mireen. Would rather is was just void :greengrin

jgl07
15-10-2009, 12:43 PM
It's quite simply the person who has the biggest impact on the game.

If you played 2 minutes, scored a hat trick and won the game 3-2 you could be awarded it no problem.

Beckham completely changed the flow of the game when he came on and England went from 1-0 up to 3-0 going on a few more. It wasn't the worst decision I've ever seen.
I can recall Ivan making a second half sub appearance at Ibrox and having a major impact on the game!

FRes Hibbie
15-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I can recall Ivan making a second half sub appearance at Ibrox and having a major impact on the game!

Exactly. It should be given to the person who makes the biggest positive contribution to a match - regardless of time spent on the pitch. If Beckham was seen to be the most influential player on the pitch I see no problem in awarding him MOTM.

Although I agree some of the awards were a joke, especially (I seem to recall) when BBC Scotland had SPL games - it was as if only one player from any given team could win it! The crab at Rangers, Larsson at Celtic, Pressley at Hearts etc.

oconnors_strip
15-10-2009, 04:34 PM
sauzee got many man of the match awards (well bottles of champagne) during his time at hibs. yes he had a good game most weeks but even if he was sh*te he still got motm as the sponsors wanted to meet him.

i feel sometimes this is still the case at many grounds in britain.

Onceinawhile
15-10-2009, 05:19 PM
sauzee got many man of the match awards (well bottles of champagne) during his time at hibs. yes he had a good game most weeks but even if he was sh*te he still got motm as the sponsors wanted to meet him.

i feel sometimes this is still the case at many grounds in britain.

Sacrilege! Sauzee never, never even had a bad game for hibs, let alone a sh*** game. That's possibly the most ridiculous thing ever written on here

oconnors_strip
15-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Sacrilege! Sauzee never, never even had a bad game for hibs, let alone a sh*** game. That's possibly the most ridiculous thing ever written on here

ok i will edit my post to say when he wasnt at his best:greengrin

ancient hibee
15-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I was at hospitality at ER when we took I think 11 goals off Alloa-naturally we voted the Alloa goalie MOM(which he was incidentally).

Luna_Asylum
15-10-2009, 07:53 PM
If Benji (:devil:) scores a hat-rick (including a penalty and a scuffed tap in) and does sod all else for 90 minutes in a 3-2 victory. Would he be desereving of MotM? His goals won us the game but didn't do much else.

I'm in the 'player has to be influencial and do something special to win games' side of things.

Also, don't understand why we give it out to our players in crappy 2-0 home defeats to St Mireen. Would rather is was just void :greengrin

Exactly a muslim could never deserve motm

Sean1875
15-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Exactly a muslim could never deserve motm
whoooooaaaaa.... :bye:

Hibercelona
15-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Its kind of like the 6-2 game.

Mixu scored a Hattrick and got MOTM... taking nothing away from it. :not worth

But John O'neil was definitely the best player on the park... even if he did only score 1. :agree:

HibbyAndy
15-10-2009, 09:21 PM

But John O'neil was definitely the best player on the park... even if he did only score 1. :agree:

JO was utterly outstanding that night, he truly was:agree:

BUT it was Latapy that ran the show... took the utter pish out them time and time again, and the one two with Mixu.. well il let u dae the maths :top marks

Gingertosser
16-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Best player that night was Antii Niemi.....by a country mile :agree:

saved them from double figures :boo hoo:

RoslinInstHibby
16-10-2009, 09:28 AM
JO was utterly outstanding that night, he truly was:agree:

BUT it was Latapy that ran the show... took the utter pish out them time and time again, and the one two with Mixu.. well il let u dae the maths :top marks

anyone of the team could have got the award that night, all were truly immense..........

back to the original point, Beckham turned the game when he came on, so i see no problem giving him man of the match at all. The fact they are convinced they are gonna win the world cup yet need a guy in his mid 30's to win against a "poor" side, well....thats another debate

Viva_Palmeiras
16-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Did Jim Leighton ever win man of the match for Hibs?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-leighton-saves-the-day-1351758.html

[for Scotland] "...Leighton and Andy Goram, have conceded a miserly five goals in their last 17 competitive fixtures; so much for the old stereotype about Scottish keepers."

Leighton made some outstanding saves (as did Goram for that matter) for the Hibs. Dont see why GK cannot be included in the running but in the minority rather than the majority.

Mon Dieu4
16-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Correct!!

EH14
16-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Similarly, Mark de Vries didn't get MotM in the 5-1 game at Tynecastle, despite scoring 4 goals- it was given to Jean Louis Valois (who admittedly had a part in setting up most of them).

Mon Dieu4
16-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Similarly, Mark de Vries didn't get MotM in the 5-1 game at Tynecastle, despite scoring 4 goals- it was given to Jean Louis Valois (who admittedly had a part in setting up most of them).

Hearts man of the match in that game should have been Tony Caig!!

Hibercelona
16-10-2009, 12:57 PM

A Mark de Vries to A Christian Nade.....

What a come down. :cool2:

Gus
16-10-2009, 01:00 PM
anyone of the team could have got the award that night, all were truly immense..........

back to the original point, Beckham turned the game when he came on, so i see no problem giving him man of the match at all. The fact they are convinced they are gonna win the world cup yet need a guy in his mid 30's to win against a "poor" side, well....thats another debate

I haven't seen these quotes this time around.....

well here goes MON ENGLAND

Need a guy in his mid 30's to win against a poor side :faf:....

HibbyAndy
16-10-2009, 01:02 PM

I dont think even hearts fans would complain if Hibs put TEN past them that night, truly ripped the pish out of them.

IIRC Paatelainen had a goal chopped off for breathing on Presssley, still ****ing annoys me to this day.

Peevemor
16-10-2009, 01:04 PM
IIRC Paatelainen had a goal chopped off for breathing on Presssley, still ****ing annoys me to this day.

He should've got a medal for breathing NEAR Pressley.

RoslinInstHibby
16-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I haven't seen these quotes this time around.....

well here goes MON ENGLAND

Need a guy in his mid 30's to win against a poor side :faf:....

whats so funny?:confused: