PDA

View Full Version : Most Important Hibs goals

Hibbyradge
14-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I've just watched a right good wee programme on Liverpool TV (didn't even know I had it).

Some guy listed his 30 best ever Liverpool goals.

They weren't all crackers, but they were all hugely important and he explained why each goal was so significant.

So, tell us about an important Hibs goal. If you can, desribe it and tell us why it was so significant.

There will be many, but Ill start.

Hampden 18 March 2007.

Off the back of a few years of fantastic, but ultimately unsuccessful, football under Tony Mowbray, John Collins is the boss.

Things are changing, but Hibs fans don't know where the team is going. Our last domestic trophy was collected 16 years previously, in 1991.

Somehow, Hibs made it through a "rugged" semi-final against St Johnstone at Tynecastle to reach the CIS cup final.

As a March blizzard changed the landscape, Hibs won a corner on the right and David Murphy lined up to take it. Rob Jones was poised on the 18 yard line and made his run.

Colin Nish, who was marking Rob Jones, had no chance as Jones met Murphy's cross first time with his head and bulleted the ball home.

This goal allowed the team, and the crowd, to relax and they went on to provide a fantastic display of cup final football, winning 5 - 1.

Iconic.

bingo70
14-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I've just watched a right good wee programme on Liverpool TV (didn't even know I had it).

They weren't all crackers, but they were all hugely important and he explained why each goal was so significant.

So, tell us about an important Hibs goal. If you can, desribe it and tell us why it was so significant.

Hampden 18 March 2007.

Off the back of a few years of fantastic, but ultimately unsuccessful, football under Tony Mowbray, John Collins is the boss.

Things are changing, but Hibs fans don't know where the team is going. Our last domestic trophy was collected 16 years previously, in 1991.

Somehow, Hibs made it through a "rugged" semi-final against St Johnstone at Tynecastle to reach the CIS cup final.

As a March blizzard changed the landscape, Hibs won a corner on the right and David Murphy lined up to take it. Rob Jones was poised on the 18 yard line and made his run.

Colin Nish, who was marking Rob Jones, had no chance as Jones met Murphy's cross first time with his head and bulleted the ball home.

This goal allowed the team, and the crowd to relax and they went on to provide a fantastic display of cup final football, winning 5 - 1.

Iconic.

Can't descibe it as well as you but the goal that always sticks out for me is Michael O'neills volley against Motherwell.

IIRC they were one of our closest rivals at the time and i just remember when that went in i was convinced i'd never see a more beautiful goal in my lifetime.

I loved that man :greengrin

matty_f
14-10-2009, 10:32 PM

Hampden 18 March 2007.

This goal allowed the team, and the crowd, to relax and they went on to provide a fantastic display of cup final football, winning 5 - 1.

Iconic.

Was the corner not taken on the left?:confused:

Removed
14-10-2009, 10:48 PM

Our left, their right :greengrin

surreyhibbie
14-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Hard to argue with Mr Radge, I would add the second goal in the 1972 LC final - Jimmy O'Rourke.

Given that I had never seen us win a cup, and that Celtc had taken 6 off us more than once in finals, we were playing brilliantly on the park but on the terracing we were also crapping ourselves every time they got the ball.

That was the moment I started to believe we could do it.:greengrin

Monts
14-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Mixus first and second goals in the 6 2 game.

If we hadnt gone in at half time leading the game, who knows what the outcome couldve been...

Removed
14-10-2009, 11:05 PM
And for me, my most important goal is below. Took us to the final and we won our first major trophy in 19 years since 1972. And that after everything that went on in the summer of 1990. That was the team that was. :flag::scarf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9gl1DJNiJs&feature=player_embedded

matty_f
14-10-2009, 11:05 PM
And for me my most important goal. Took us to the final ands we won our first major trophy in 19 years since 1972. And that after everything that went on in the summer of 1990. That was the team that was. :flag::scarf:

Was just about to post that (without the video, right enough).:thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
14-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Its a good shout D but if I may - for me there has been 2 iconic moments in my time following this club.

The first came on the 12th of November 1988 - after many unsuccesful trips to Tynie I rolled into the ground with not much hope of turning our dreadful record around but somehow we took the lead from a goal by Paul Kane.

What followed seemed like an eternity at the time with many nails bitten and many many prayers given.

Then after 83 minutes this happened...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luB0aej4_rE

The celebrations that followed that goal will live with me forever (I have never experienced anything like it at a game since).

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................

My second choice would have to be the 1991 League Cup Final.

First half was pretty poor from what I remember but I recall being quite positive about the second half (which as anyone who knows me will tell you is unlike me :greengrin)

Game started off at a storming pace and we deservedly took the lead from what actually was a pretty dodgy penalty but hey - who cares.

Then the Pars gradually got themselves back into the game as Hibs started sitting back trying to defend the lead - and if I remember rightly Budgie pulled off a pretty important save from Billy Davies at one point to keep us ahead.

Thankfully after 86 minutes a certain Mr Keith Wright :not worth latched onto a through ball from Mickey Weir and buried it to give us our first trophy in 19 years.

Sent 40000 Hibbies into ecstasy - I for one don't remember much after the goal - although I do remember celebrating on the monument across from the Balmoral as the team bus went past :greengrin then sprinting down to the stadium to continue the celebrations.

I'm still hopeful off more great days to come :thumbsup:

matty_f
14-10-2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idGPlizJaE

End of the hoodoo...

AllyF
14-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Definitely this (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article520150.ece) one. :wink:

Mixu62
14-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I can't remember who scored but whoever it was that opened the scoring in our play-off demolition of Airdrie. We'd only won the home leg 1-0 IIRC and things were really nervy in the opening stages.

basehibby
15-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Take yer pick from any one of these....:greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpboCwISs0

Hibbyradge
15-10-2009, 06:25 AM

Our left, their right :greengrin

That's what I meant to say! :rolleyes:

Steve-O
15-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Boozy's goal v Hearts in the 'your not unbeatable game', and even O'Connor's second coming so soon afterwards.

It's fair to say I went absolutely radge when both of those went in :greengrin

Another 'bizarre' one that I remember is a game v Motherwell when I think Charlie Richmond was the referee and gave us NOTHING the entire game (Mowbray was sent off I think) and it was 1-1 for absolute ages...Graeme Smith in goals for them was saving everything until Deek popped up with a deflected effort in the last minute...I remember running from almost the back of the East right down to the front row when that goal went in!!

Was just unbelievable relief with the way the game had went beforehand - LOADS of chances and a million crazy decisions from the buffoon Richmond :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
15-10-2009, 06:57 AM
In Mowbray's 1st season - I think we were about 7 points behind Aberdeen in 3rd. We were drawing 1-1 with them at home and Steven Glass hit a beautiful volley late in the game for us to win 2-1.

Not as good as some of those mentioned above but still good.

LHWM
15-10-2009, 07:45 AM
In terms of 'winning things' there have been very few of the 300 'competitive' Derbies that have had an outcome on either side winning a trophy. So as much as it is great to win 7-0, 6-2 or 5-1 those wins were for local bragging rights only.

The 2 most recent that DID mean something were the 2 Cup games at Hampden and Easter Road in 2006. Before that you'd have to go back to the 1950s.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1958/1958030101.jpg

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1958/1958030103.jpg

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1958/1958030104.jpg

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1958/1958030101.htm

Wilson
15-10-2009, 07:53 AM
The next one.

Hibee_Craig7062
15-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Cant see most of the links/videos on this thread at work so apologies if already mentioned but surprised we have went almost 20 posts on this thread without mentioning Geebsies goal at Tynie to end 22 in a row! :thumbsup:

Removed
15-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Cant see most of the links/videos on this thread at work so apologies if already mentioned but surprised we have went almost 20 posts on this thread without mentioning Geebsies goal at Tynie to end 22 in a row! :thumbsup:

Matty #10

LHWM
15-10-2009, 08:18 AM
A goal scored by Motherwell!

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1948/1948042401.jpg

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1948/1948042402.jpg

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1948/1948042404.jpg

Broken Gnome
15-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Amadou Knote. On his backside. That is all :greengrin

duffers
15-10-2009, 08:50 AM
The first one i would say was Garrry O'connors 90th minute strike in the 10 men game which we won one nil.

The second, Steven Dobbie IIRC scoring the equalizer against Rangers in the Semi final which we went on to lose in the final to Livingston :grr:

And the squiggler. For the sheer humiliation of Boruc :greengrin

davemcbain
15-10-2009, 08:58 AM

Hampden 18 March 2007.

Iconic.

Personally as important for me (I'd driven up with my five year old and neither of us had dressed for snow) it allowed us to stand up, clap our hands, get the blood flowing and avoid hypothermia.

Broken Gnome
15-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Yogi's equaliser against Ayr in the first division to make it 3-3.

Chris Killen at Ibrox to make it 3-0. AGAIN.

Colin Murdock's penalty at Hampden.

Benji's goal against St.Johnstone was quite iconic too, ensured Hibs won a game that they didn't look likely to for a long time.

hibsbollah
15-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Konte:top marksScored the goal that got us into Europe. His place as a legend is secure:agree:

PeeJay
15-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Most important Hibs goals.

For me it has to be Bobby Duncan's opening goal against Napoli all those years ago! We won 5-0 and it was one of those nights never to be forgotten; if I remember rightly he was standing just outside "our 18-yard box" when he let fly to slam it past the Zoff chappie in goal :wink:!! What a goal!

Billychaotic182
15-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Konte:top marksScored the goal that got us into Europe. His place as a legend is secure:agree:

:faf::faf::faf::top marks

H18sry
15-10-2009, 10:49 AM
This one I had Deeks to score 1st
Hibs to win 2-1
Benji to score last
Hibs to win 2-1
both as singles and double's
and 2-1 as a single on its own :greengrin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GteAoXpDFmM

Eggchaser
15-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Does it have to have been scored by Hibs?

Would it be tragic/vindictive/childish to say Albert Kidd?

Otherwise, Geebsy gets my vote.

Franck Stanton
15-10-2009, 11:30 AM

Great shout mate, would've been my choice as well:top marks

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Ivan Sproule. All 3. Ibrox silenced. Huns greetin all over. Take that...

ENDOF (for them, anyway) :greengrin

Sick Boy
15-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Not sure about important but this one is definitely one of my favourites.:thumbsup: It was my first game at the PBS and I've not missed a derby there since.

:scarf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9aFmJPsP3I

blaikie
15-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Ivan Sproule. All 3. Ibrox silenced. Huns greetin all over. Take that...

ENDOF (for them, anyway) :greengrin
:agree::top marks

AllyF
15-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Definitely this (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article520150.ece) one. :wink:

:faf::faf::faf::top marks

Ahem! :grr: :greengrin

Just Jimmy
15-10-2009, 12:35 PM
18-01-2003 Scottish Division 2 Brechin 5-7 Cowdenbeath.

Derek Riordan scores his first goal(s) in senior football and the most natural goal scorer to play for hibs since joe baker arrives.

Hibs On Tour
15-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Every.Single.One.

Then, now and forever more!

GGTTH! :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
15-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Konte's goal that got us into yoorup.

heidtheba
15-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Yup - Hunter's goal at Tynie. "Happy New Stand"!
Bliss!

stuartmcdee
15-10-2009, 01:59 PM
one of my favorite hibs goals was david zitelli's over head kick at dundee and his goal against aek athens was another that brought a smile to my face :greengrin

matty_f
15-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Great shout mate, would've been my choice as well:top marks

:bitchy: While amusing, they goals weren't important to Hibs, they just gave us years of hilarity,

lyonhibs
15-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Obviously all goals listed previously are good choices.

I do seem to remember going particularly bonkers when Gary "Predator" Smith got on the end of a goalmouth scramble in the dying minutes to put us 3-2 up against Dundee United (or perhaps Aberdeen)

In either case, it was a vital game in the race for 3rd in Mowbray's 1st season.

Broken Gnome
15-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Stephen Glass' winner against Aberdeen kind of set the tone for that season, quite an iconic goal in hindsight.

No one's mentioned number 7 either. Six just wouldn't have sounded as good.

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I recal alan ormen scoring a raker against the huns as well too....this was also sweet. Sweet as a nut

BS44
15-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Brian Rice 2-0 Dumbarton, kept us in the Premier League. Can't remember who scored the other.

Willie Irvine 1-1 Hearts New Year's Day at Tynie. He equalised 30 seconds after they went 1 up.

Eddie May(?) 4-3 Celtic Scottish Cup. Last minute winner.

Willie Jamieson Hibs 1-1 Manchester United :greengrin

HibbyAndy
15-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I recal alan ormen scoring a raker against the huns as well too....this was also sweet. Sweet as a nut

Aye we ken it was a raker Hamish:greengrin but the threads about 'important' goals ya big radge ye, no rakers.

How about John Oneils eqauliser at Tiny in injury time, way intae injury time that made it 1-1 at the hibs ends? IIRC we even had the audacity to just about sneak an outrageous winner but Townsley slipped it wide, or fell on his erse, summit like that :bitchy:

Aubenas
15-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Darren Jackson v Airdrie in a relegation playoff at Broadwood?

ancient hibee
15-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Bobby Kinloch's penalty against Barcelona was probably the most dramatic I've seen.
Lawrie Reilly's last goal for Hibs -against Rangers the Monday before the Clyde Final was memorable for all sorts of reasons.

Storar
15-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Obviously all goals listed previously are good choices.

I do seem to remember going particularly bonkers when Gary "Predator" Smith got on the end of a goalmouth scramble in the dying minutes to put us 3-2 up against Dundee United (or perhaps Aberdeen)

In either case, it was a vital game in the race for 3rd in Mowbray's 1st season.

This was going to be my choice too.

Lots of great goals here but some of them weren't really that 'important' (Zitelli's against Athens for example)

Smiths goal in the last minute against United was really the moment where we realised that 3rd place HAD to be done, even though we did out best to balls it up :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
15-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Big Rob's goal in the 81% 19% game. :wink:

Despite all the possession, Hearts defended in numbers. His solitary goal took us through to the next round.

The big man scored that day and went on to finish it in style.

Storar
15-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Somewhat selective memory.

Hibs knocked Hearts out of the Scottish Cup in the early 80's. Gordon Rae scored. I think it was 2 - 1.

You've also forgotton the "81% 19%" League Cup game on 11 August 2006.

We won that cup.

Think he did mention that one Dave:duck:

brydekirk
david murphy - every goal was important. :agree:

Bad Martini
Aye we ken it was a raker Hamish:greengrin but the threads about 'important' goals ya big radge ye, no rakers.

How about John Oneils eqauliser at Tiny in injury time, way intae injury time that made it 1-1 at the hibs ends? IIRC we even had the audacity to just about sneak an outrageous winner but Townsley slipped it wide, or fell on his erse, summit like that :bitchy:

Ah see ah see Hamish matey. :greengrin

Aye, in that case was it no a bloody vital equaliser yon Harper scored, new years day, a good few years ago when Derbies WERE on New Years day?

Twas a goal, ave nae idea how it was as ah was still very pished but, it was important, as I recall. I think, game ended up a draw anaw but like ah sais, 1st ay January and ave no idea mate! :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
15-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Think he did mention that one Dave:duck:

Aye. I just realised. :hilarious

Delete here i come. :greengrin

KeithTheHibby
15-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Tommy Macs penalty against Dunfermline in the Skol Cup Final in 1991.

After a nervous first half against an extremely poor team thank christ for Mickey Weir winning that penalty.

The coolest man on the park slotted it home and the rest was history, I had witnessed my team win a trophy - had to wait 16 long years for the next time so it was an extremely massive goal for me!

andyhibs
15-10-2009, 07:34 PM
it has to be deeks pen against the jumbos at pbs, when our bteam beat them, and our smaller than usual support outsang them from then first minute to the last:greengrin

HibbyAndy
15-10-2009, 08:39 PM
it has to be deeks pen against the jumbos at pbs, when our bteam beat them, and our smaller than usual support outsang them from then first minute to the last:greengrin

Exactly.

Werent we gonna get pumped bigtime?? even a 7-0 revenge was on the cards according to them ...in reality our makeshift team had no bother what so ever against the Pubteamers.

Even put Thicot as centre half to let them see what they were made off..

Total hibs baby team coming away with the spoils...GIFRU you manky trampy jambo barstewards.

Bostonhibby
15-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Hard to argue with Mr Radge, I would add the second goal in the 1972 LC final - Jimmy O'Rourke.

Given that I had never seen us win a cup, and that Celtc had taken 6 off us more than once in finals, we were playing brilliantly on the park but on the terracing we were also crapping ourselves every time they got the ball.

That was the moment I started to believe we could do it.:greengrin

:agree: me too, had been at both games, also recall Stanton scoring a headed equaliser against the yams in the pouring rain at PBS in the 70's completed a late comeback if I recall correctly.

Keith Wrights against the huns in the 1991 cup semi still brings a tear to my eye.

Auckland Hibs
15-10-2009, 08:45 PM

Was in the front row of the PBS and about 10 feet away from DT when he slipped, couldn't ****ing believe he missed that chance?!! :grr:

Hibercelona
15-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Garry O'connors last minute goal against the yams at ER, scored at the near post.

Ended a horrid horrid run against the manks. :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMK2oRF1Z8&fmt=18

ronaldo7
15-10-2009, 08:50 PM
:agree: me too, had been at both games, also recall Stanton scoring a headed equaliser against the yams in the pouring rain at PBS in the 70's completed a late comeback if I recall correctly.

Keith Wrights against the huns in the 1991 cup semi still brings a tear to my eye.

96th minute:thumbsup: King Paddy rises above every jam tart on the pitch to send a header into the net.

Bostonhibby
15-10-2009, 08:54 PM
96th minute:thumbsup:

Wiz it really that late! ...........I just remember what seemed like a half hour long celebration in the uncovered away end.

Bad Martini
15-10-2009, 09:05 PM

...brought the huns plenty tears anaw :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ronaldo7
15-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Wiz it really that late! ...........I just remember what seemed like a half hour long celebration in the uncovered away end.

It's got longer as the years have passed:wink:

They were both uncovered ends at tiny :greengrin

Their is a youtube vid of it somewhere and you see the crowd tightly packed on the way out of tiny at the School end. We all go mental when the King scores.:thumbsup:

matty_f
15-10-2009, 09:06 PM

:thumbsup: welcome back!

HibbyAndy
15-10-2009, 09:10 PM

Ehm.it was me that goat him back :wink:

:greengrin

HibbyAndy
15-10-2009, 09:11 PM

And did you say that about me?

matty_f
15-10-2009, 10:11 PM
And did you say that about me?

Aye, I did!:agree:

NaeTechnoHibby
16-10-2009, 01:04 AM

Glad to see you back, sweetie :thumbsup:

Ehm.it was me that goat him back :wink:

:greengrin

Good Work AgentAndy :wink:

Nice to have you both back :thumbsup:

Now where's that unpronouncable Jamie :greengrin

cockneymike
16-10-2009, 09:39 AM
1. Barry Lavety, scoring the winner (I think) in the derby in April 98, to stop hearts winning the league, and it also gave us hope that we could maybe still stay up. Can't really remember it too well, but seem to think he cut in from the right edge of the box and smashed with his left across Rousset. Kevin Harper also scored that day.

2. Then following on from that, was Russel Latapy scoring the winner against Hamilton I think at Firrhill to win us the First Divsion, cue pitch invasion and the Hibees are Back Tshirt, which I still have somewhere.

3. Another one was Kevin Harper's volley with the left foot from outside the box that won us the derby after the 7nil at Ibrox. Harper was dancing in front of the newly built away end, and they were spewing.

Mikeystewart
16-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Konte equaliser at Motherwell got us into Europe.

18/03/07
16-10-2009, 10:03 AM
And deek had the final score on the back of hibs shirt

Joe Baker II
16-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Keith Wright v Rangers in 1991 by a long way - no others come close in importance.

Another very significant goal was McGinley's v Hearts in 1998 ne'er day game - this may have been goal that relegated us as it prevented an earlier change of manager.

Debate here though on importance is key though - plenty of people thought at time relegation for Hibs despite the financial losses (smaller crowds in Division 1 contrary to myth plus new Sky deal started in 1998-9 which we missed out on) would be a good thing due to lack of leadership and ambition at the club a time, and I cannot help thinking events proved them correct.

Also importance of goal was that it maybe stopped Hearts winning league that season.

3pm
16-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Pat McGinlay v the Hertz.

Kept Duffy in a job. Iconic but for the wrong reasons.

Iconic for me is Keith Wright v the Huns in the Semi Final of the Skol Cup in 91. The Cabbage were back. :agree:

Owain_1987
16-10-2009, 04:19 PM
And for me, my most important goal is below. Took us to the final and we won our first major trophy in 19 years since 1972. And that after everything that went on in the summer of 1990. That was the team that was. :flag::scarf:

That goal maybe saved our club :greengrin

Owain_1987
16-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Hampden 18 March 2007.

Iconic.

Don't mean to be picky but was the final not on the 17th March?

HibbyAndy
16-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Don't mean to be picky but was the final not on the 17th March?

18th.