PDA

View Full Version : Norway

down-the-slope
14-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Kind of glad we fell at the final hurdle now...Norway must be gutted that they did not make it....poor system that has 9 groups fro 8 spots...

bingo70
14-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Kind of glad we fell at the final hurdle now...Norway must be gutted that they did not make it....poor system that has 9 groups fro 8 spots...

Falling at the final hurdle has still effected our ranking for future tournaments though.

Agree though, stupid system, there must be a better way to do it!

I realise they can't have a world cup full of European countries but it's bloody annoyng seeing the strong european teams struggling to qualify when you see Bahrain and New Zealand having a play off to qualify, don't know how possible it'd be but what about a play off system that involved all countries throughout the world?

Hibster
14-10-2009, 10:22 PM

But if we hadn't fallen at the final hurdle and had taken 3 points against the Netherlands, we'd be in the playoffs - thanks to Ireland only getting a point tonight. Though I suppose if Ireland had known they had to win then they probably would have really gone for it and got the win, but still, it makes it all the more disappointing

down-the-slope
14-10-2009, 10:23 PM
, don't know how possible it'd be but what about a play off system that involved all countries throughout the world?

:agree:

Oh wait a minute..TV revenues :grr::grr:

Mag7
14-10-2009, 10:24 PM
But if we hadn't fallen at the final hurdle and had taken 3 points against the Netherlands, we'd be in the playoffs - thanks to Ireland only getting a point tonight. Though I suppose if Ireland had known they had to win then they probably would have really gone for it and got the win, but still, it makes it all the more disappointing

Clutching at straws to claim Scotland fell at the final hurdle as it implies we were desperately unlucky. We fell at the first hurdle and several others on the way to the finishing line in what was, overall, a dismal qualifying campaign from which we got we deserved ie 3rd place.

Hibster
14-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Clutching at straws to claim Scotland fell at the final hurdle. We fell at the first hurdle and several others on the way to the finishing line in what was, overall, a dismal qualifying campaign from which we got we deserved ie 3rd place.

I agree - we blew it well before the Netherlands game. But being pedantic, the game against the Netherlands was a hurdle, it was the final game, and we did fail it - so clutching at straws or not, I'm sticking with it :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
15-10-2009, 09:20 AM

Based on the results as they turned out, Ireland would have been the worst runner up with 12 points (2 wins / 6 draws against the ranking teams) if Scotland had beaten Holland.

Although I suppose Ireland would have been more motivated to win last night if they had known they had to win to avoid being the worst runner up. If they had, Scotland would have had the worst goal difference of the teams on 13 points in that hypothetical scenario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_world_cup_qualifying#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams

Future17
15-10-2009, 01:08 PM

At the very least, someone else should have a civil war so we can at least have the same number of teams in each group. :agree:

norhfc
15-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Thank god they didnt make it....my life has been hell since THAT night.End of the day we where both not good enough.Overall I rate Scotland and Norway pretty much alike,losing the 2 points at hampden was always gonna make it tough.