PDA

View Full Version : Liam Miller in Ireland squad

steve75
14-10-2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_2947197,00.html

Not seen this anywhere else.

Seems millers been called up due to suspensions, and is to start. If he keeps it up we could have at least a couple of players at the world cup!

mayo hibee
14-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Ya, still waiting on the official team announcement, but good sources suggest he's going to get a 'competitive' start tonight, which hasn't happened in a while.

To be honest though if there was anything on this game he wouldn't be playing, Ireland are already in the playoffs and can't win the group. When the real action was on Saturday evening there against Italy, he didn't make the bench. If a 23 man squad was being picked tomorrow and everyone was fit and available I don't think he'd get in it so he needs a big game tonight.

steve75
14-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Ya, still waiting on the official team announcement, but good sources suggest he's going to get a 'competitive' start tonight, which hasn't happened in a while.

To be honest though if there was anything on this game he wouldn't be playing, Ireland are already in the playoffs and can't win the group. When the real action was on Saturday evening there against Italy, he didn't make the bench. If a 23 man squad was being picked tomorrow and everyone was fit and available I don't think he'd get in it so he needs a big game tonight.

Agree.

But it's good to see him still in the frame, and if Ireland do qualify I'll bet that Miller, and stokes, start playing out their skins. As you see with Bent down south, working twice as hard to get to that world cup!

Mikey
14-10-2009, 05:21 PM
You mean we could have more World Cup stars than the Yams? :greengrin

mayo hibee
14-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Team has been named - 6 changes from Saturday and Miller is in. :thumbsup:

MacBean
14-10-2009, 05:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8304872.stm
on bbc too:thumbsup:

PaulSmith
14-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Team has been named - 6 changes from Saturday and Miller is in. :thumbsup:

Good, a good performance tonight might see him included in the play off games and then if that goes well then we might have Miller, Bamba and Stokes in the World Cup..:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-10-2009, 05:59 PM
He was still in amongst their squad even when not getting a regular start for QPR and while he was unattached. While it would not put me up nor down if they win or lose, I hope he has a stormer.:agree::agree::agree:

Mikey
14-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Tha game's starting now. Sky Sports 2.

HibbyAndy
14-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Miller controlling the midfield awready.

Barney McGrew
14-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Another one of the squad, along with Deek and Wotherspoon, who is benefitting from having a strong start to the season and getting called up into national squads.

Add in Hanlon, Bamba, Makalambay, Benji and Zemmama and we must have as many as anyone outside the OF in that position just now.

Excellent stuff :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
14-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Another one of the squad, along with Deek and Wotherspoon, who is benefitting from having a strong start to the season and getting called up into national squads.

Add in Hanlon, Bamba, Makalambay, Benji and Zemmama and we must have as many as anyone outside the OF in that position just now.

Excellent stuff :thumbsup:

He better no be starting the night, ive got Belgium in a four fold

:duck:

:greengrin

Mikey
14-10-2009, 06:22 PM
There are quite a few tasty forward passes from Miller. He's doing well so far.

Winston Ingram
14-10-2009, 07:29 PM
He better no be starting the night, ive got Belgium in a four fold

:duck:

:greengrin

He's not, nor is he on the bench:wink:

...Belgium are 1-0 down at HT :duck:

mayo hibee
14-10-2009, 07:56 PM
To be honest after a promising start Miller didn't do anything tonight to suggest he has a future with Ireland. Fine in the SPL but you could see tonight why he didn't make it in the Premier League, he just goes missing for too long in games at that level.

Cabbage East
14-10-2009, 07:58 PM
To be honest after a promising start Miller didn't do anything tonight to suggest he has a future with Ireland. Fine in the SPL but you could see tonight why he didn't make it in the Premier League, he just goes missing for too long in games at that level.

Very harsh.

steve75
14-10-2009, 08:01 PM

yup. tho had a couple of his passes to keane just cleared the last defender he would have been haild a midfield master class, pulling the strings. He's clearly got international class vision, just seems to be lacking that edge. Wouldn't surprise me if he's back in the Ireland squad once he gets half a season under his belt.

EDIT - just like to add I think that off the ball he was class tonight! always made himself available, reminded me of Neil Lennon (thats ment to be a compliment). tho i did expect him to be involved more in attack when O'Shea was brought on beside him

Winston Ingram
14-10-2009, 08:02 PM

extremely harsh

Craig_in_Prague
14-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Bring back Alan O'Brien and Brian Kerr :grr:

CallumLaidlaw
14-10-2009, 08:17 PM

I think it's worth remembering that in the space of a month, he's gone from playing no competitive football, to starting a competitive international game. Bearing that in mind, I thought Miller had a good game tonight. Great vision, but rough round the edges. He is going to be an asset to us, and I can see him being a regular for ROI again. He is technically very good, which will suit trapatonni (sp)

mayo hibee
14-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, I hope I'm proven wrong and would be delighted to be, but after such a promising start to his Hibs career I had hopes of him turning up tonight with a new found confidence and really imposing himself on the game from centre mid. But his performance reminded me of too many of his others for Ireland down the years, occasional bits of brilliance but overall coming up a bit short of what is required at that level.

Of course I can't be sure if he's 100% back to full match fitness yet and I should probably take that into account but there are some good young players coming through and I'd worry as to how many more chances he will get.

mayo hibee
14-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Bring back Alan O'Brien and Brian Kerr :grr:

Let's not!

Don't get me wrong I think Liam is a great addition to the Hibs squad, that's not what I'm arguing here at all.

Eire hibs
14-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Don't see anything harsh about this comment.

HibbyAndy
14-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Well, I hope I'm proven wrong and would be delighted to be, but after such a promising start to his Hibs career I had hopes of him turning up tonight with a new found confidence and really imposing himself on the game from centre mid. But his performance reminded me of too many of his others for Ireland down the years, occasional bits of brilliance but overall coming up a bit short of what is required at that level.

Of course I can't be sure if he's 100% back to full match fitness yet and I should probably take that into account but there are some good young players coming through and I'd worry as to how many more chances he will get.

Sorry..but that is a piece of utter ******!!

LM more than held his own tonight in that ROI team.. maybe the Hunt brothers should be questioned as to what they did tonight.

Liam Miller had a very good game IMO, and you are stirring it..either that or you watched the wrong game.

Eire hibs
14-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry..but that is a piece of utter ******!!

LM more than held his own tonight in that ROI team.. maybe the Hunt brothers should be questioned as to what they did tonight.

Liam Miller had a very good game IMO, and you are stirring it..either that or you watched the wrong game.

Are you referring to Stephen Hunt who won man of the match?

steve75
14-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Really?? Stephen Hunt won MOTM! He was annoying me so much! to be fair he was trying his heart out, but most the time when he tried to beat his man he ran the ball out of play, and I don't remember a useful cross by him!

I've watch quite a bit of Ireland recently and he's impressed me, but tonight no!

HibbyAndy
14-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Naw. his brother who didnt?

mayo hibee
14-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I think you could ask quite a few of them out there what they were up to tonight!

The difference between Miller and Stephen Hunt is that Hunt has proven himself for Ireland time and again in the last few years, Miller has not. If Ireland qualify Stephen Hunt will definitely be in the squad, Miller has it all to do.

As I said at the top of the thread, Miller needed a big game tonight to put himself into Trapattoni's thoughts for the play-offs and anything that might come after that. Holding his own against Montenegro won't do.

And no, I'm most definitely not stirring it, as a Hibs fan and Irishman I would like nothing more than to see Miller play and be a success for Ireland. I'm just giving my honest opinion.

And I would put Noel Hunt in the same category, someone who has it all to prove at this level and didn't tonight.

Eire hibs
14-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Really?? Stephen Hunt won MOTM! He was annoying me so much! to be fair he was trying his heart out, but most the time when he tried to beat his man he ran the ball out of play, and I don't remember a useful cross by him!

I've watch quite a bit of Ireland recently and he's impressed me, but tonight no!

He crossed the ball for Dunne who hit the underside of the bar. Personally I don't like him but he tried which is more than most did tonight. Either way I hope they don't qualify as it's like watching Hearts :wink:

Pretty Boy
14-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Sorry..but that is a piece of utter shight!!

To be fair i think he has a point. Don't get me wrong i don't think he is 100% right but whilst Miller did ok tonight i just don't see him having done enough to really force himself into contention for a start.

Liam Miller will be an absolutely fantastic addition to the Hibs squad and will be a very important player for us but with the like of Darren Gibson coming through the ROI ranks as well as established players like Ian Andrews, John O'shea and so on i think he will more than likely be a squad man in the international set up.

Aubenas
14-10-2009, 09:14 PM
5 games at club level after a pre-season on his own and I thought he did just fine. Yeh, Montenegro aren't exactly world beaters, but any team packing the midfield will make it hard for the playmakers against them. I thought he looked comfortable - especially given his recent history - if he keeps improving for Hibs he has a chance in the squad next year (fingers crossed). Well done to Trapp for running the rule over him.

Eire hibs
14-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Why are you asking me the question, it's your post, you tell me. You're the one who mentions both brothers. Opinions eh.

HibbyAndy
14-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Why are you asking me the question, it's your post, you tell me. You're the one who mentions both brothers. Opinions eh.

I thought Noel Hunt was utter tom kite.. certainly never done anymore than LM...And i appreciatte LM picks the ball up from deep and sprays the ball around.

Stephen Hunt, Aye ok, done awrite, nae mare tho...

Aye and it is my post... so are you asking me the answer to this post or not?

PeterboroHibee
14-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Miller was really good tonight, bit rough and a couple of slack passes but didnt look out of place in the team. Hes a quality player and can see him being in that Ireland team.

The commentators and pundits also seem to really like him, were speaking about him alot through the game.

Steve20
15-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Liam Miller had a good game. I think it's just another case of some people on here always looking for something to moan about.

He certainly did not look out his depth.

Phil MaGlass
15-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Liam Miller has only recently started regular fitba, the ROI manager would have known that and judged him accordingly,anyone can see the guy has what it takes,give him a few more games and he will definitely be in ROI,s plans for the future.

Eire hibs
15-10-2009, 08:47 AM
I thought Noel Hunt was utter tom kite.. certainly never done anymore than LM...And i appreciatte LM picks the ball up from deep and sprays the ball around.

Stephen Hunt, Aye ok, done awrite, nae mare tho...

Aye and it is my post... so are you asking me the answer to this post or not?

? You posted the first two quotes in the wrong order so i'll let you work it out

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2009, 08:47 AM
I watched the game last night, and Miller had a better game than most. If thats how he plays after a month of football, then i couldnt care less if he never plays for the ROI again. He will be an asset for hibs, and that will do for me.:thumbsup:

matty_f
15-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I watched the game last night, and Miller had a better game than most. If thats how he plays after a month of football, then i couldnt care less if he never plays for the ROI again. He will be an asset for hibs, and that will do for me.:thumbsup:

:agree: Spot on, BH.

Miller didn't do a lot wrong in the game, was always available for the pass and he contributed well to the game.

Andy74
15-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Correct. A really classy player that didn't look out of his depth at all at that level.

And why would he? The Republic kept him in their squad all the way through even when he didn't have a team and that shows how much they rate him.

There was a geat article maybe in the Scotland on Sunday a few weeks ago which reminded me that as little as two years ago this guy was on top form for Sunderland and more than holding his own in the EPL.

Miller instead of the likes of Chisholm or Stevenson? Yes please.

JimBHibees
15-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I think you could ask quite a few of them out there what they were up to tonight!

The difference between Miller and Stephen Hunt is that Hunt has proven himself for Ireland time and again in the last few years, Miller has not. If Ireland qualify Stephen Hunt will definitely be in the squad, Miller has it all to do.

As I said at the top of the thread, Miller needed a big game tonight to put himself into Trapattoni's thoughts for the play-offs and anything that might come after that. Holding his own against Montenegro won't do.

And no, I'm most definitely not stirring it, as a Hibs fan and Irishman I would like nothing more than to see Miller play and be a success for Ireland. I'm just giving my honest opinion.

And I would put Noel Hunt in the same category, someone who has it all to prove at this level and didn't tonight.

Didnt see all the game as the bits I saw made a 5 year old 'Place in the Sun' programme seem entertaining :greengrin however thought Miller looked ok and played a few very decent forward balls. Considering as has been mentioned he is only now starting to play with any regularity thought he did well and his touch was good and he will improve. Whether the Trap thinks he is an automatic start probably not at the moment but I would have thought he would definitely be in the squad for the qualifiers. If I was an Irish fan I would be more worried about how bad both Keane and Duff looked.

hibsbollah
15-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Correct. A really classy player that didn't look out of his depth at all at that level.

And why would he? The Republic kept him in their squad all the way through even when he didn't have a team and that shows how much they rate him.

There was a geat article maybe in the Scotland on Sunday a few weeks ago which reminded me that as little as two years ago this guy was on top form for Sunderland and more than holding his own in the EPL.

Miller instead of the likes of Chisholm or Stevenson? Yes please.

I mentioned on here when the transfer was first discussed that I saw him play at the SOL against Birmingham last year in the EPL and he looked totally at home in that environment, as did Stokes, who played an hour. This thing about how he 'failed' in the EPL is just nonsense, he fell out with Keane and was transferlisted. There isnt much doubt that he has loads of quality.