PDA

View Full Version : Sean Welsh

500miles
13-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned on the Crossbar Challange thread, but is that him back to full-training and ready to get some games under his belt? He was certainly highly rated at U19s level, not just for ability, but versatility too.

Tricla
13-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned on the Crossbar Challange thread, but is that him back to full-training and ready to get some games under his belt? He was certainly highly rated at U19s level, not just for ability, but versatility too.

He played against Duns so I assume so.

Looked class too.

Scooter
13-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Did I not see his name in the team list that played in the 2-2 draw against Dundee utd

Hibs7
14-10-2009, 06:13 AM
Did I not see his name in the team list that played in the 2-2 draw against Dundee utd

Get your glasses out man. :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=163707

GlesgaeHibby
14-10-2009, 07:36 AM

What positions can he play?

RIP
14-10-2009, 07:41 AM
What positions can he play?

In his Hibs TV interview I think he said on the right. Full back, defence or defensive midfield - he disnae care

Petrie's Tache
14-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Very assured player with great composure forhis age. Think he will do very well for us in the future!

down-the-slope
14-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Centre midfield - where last season he reminded me of KT at similar age. Strong tackler but able to pick a pass. Was comfortable at Centre Half when played there as well.

Always wanting the ball at feet

Mikey
14-10-2009, 12:40 PM
If he was to get into the team just now who would be dropping out to accommodate him?

He's going to have trouble shifting Miller from midfield!

down-the-slope
14-10-2009, 12:55 PM
If he was to get into the team just now who would be dropping out to accommodate him?

Nobody dropping out as for me Miller and McBride should be first names on team sheet - and will get better with match time together.

He will in time prove better cover for McBride than we have

Cocaine&Caviar
14-10-2009, 12:56 PM

We havent got many sitting linking CMs after McBride, so i would assume thats where he would slot in, really dont Bamba is goin to be moved anytime soon, and its not Stevenson's or Rankin's natural role...

Billychaotic182
14-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I think we should put him Currie and Byrne out on loan

Cocaine&Caviar
14-10-2009, 01:00 PM

I'd disagree, these guys are still belnding into the squad and will learn a lot from just training with the first squad. Wheras established players who arent getting game time are the ones who should be going out to Lower SPL or Higher Div1 sides on loan, such as Stevenson and McCann...

Brooster
14-10-2009, 01:58 PM

Spot on mate, these guys need competative games. Theoretically these guys could go trough the rest of the season without playing a competative game and in the case of Currie and Welsh go the whole season without playing a 'real' game, sending them out on loan to Divs 2 or 3 would do them the world of good - like Moyes at Livi for example.

Love the Green
14-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Great prospect.......saw him many times last season and dont laught but he was very similiar to Ces Fabrigas...always wanting the ball no matter how closely marked he was, great first touch which made time for himself..strong in the tackle could pass and high work rate........deffo 1 for the near future.....only blemish was he lost the plot when they played the dogs at riccarton....which lowered his effectiveness.....

"keep the faith":wink:

Jonnyboy
14-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Spot on mate, these guys need competative games. Theoretically these guys could go trough the rest of the season without playing a competative game and in the case of Currie and Welsh go the whole season without playing a 'real' game, sending them out on loan to Divs 2 or 3 would do them the world of good - like Moyes at Livi for example.

Possible they might be loaned out in January S? Yogi might want to see if he can get his intended signings in before letting the laddies go out on loan?

Just a thought

PercyHibs
14-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Great prospect.......saw him many times last season and dont laught but he was very similiar to Ces Fabrigas...always wanting the ball no matter how closely marked he was, great first touch which made time for himself..strong in the tackle could pass and high work rate........deffo 1 for the near future.....only blemish was he lost the plot when they played the dogs at riccarton....which lowered his effectiveness.....

"keep the faith":wink:

good comparison, he plays just like fabregas. Exactly the same kind of player. I think he's gonna be a great player in time.

Franck is God
14-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Sean Welsh and David Wotherspoon were the stand outs from the under 19s any time I saw them and would have put them on a par with each other.

To my mind it was like watching KT and Scotty in the middle again, both very comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass too. Hopefully very bright futures for them both at Eater Road.

Trying not to forget Lee Currie, Calum Booth & Kurtis Byrne as they all have the talent to succeed too.

ahibby
15-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Joe Baker, Pat Stanton, Peter Cormack, John Collins, Kenny Miller, Gary O'Connor, Derek Riordan, Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson, Paul Hanlon. Did they not all make their debut for Hibs first team long before their 19th birthdays?

Is it changed days at ER now that talent like Wotherspoon, Welsh, Byrne et al don't make the break through until they finish with the U-19s? Could it be that these lads aren't as talented as the crop named in para 1? Anyone care to take this supposition on?

hibsdaft
15-10-2009, 03:36 PM
they lost at least a year under Mixu who either didn't rate them or didn't have the bottle to give them a chance.

PercyHibs
15-10-2009, 04:02 PM
they lost at least a year under Mixu who either didn't rate them or didn't have the bottle to give them a chance.

instead they they played in their own age group winning the league and cup double. Hardly a lost year? no way they would have bn ready for 1st team last yr!!!

500miles
15-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Joe Baker, Pat Stanton, Peter Cormack, John Collins, Kenny Miller, Gary O'Connor, Derek Riordan, Scott Brown, Kevin Thomson, Paul Hanlon. Did they not all make their debut for Hibs first team long before their 19th birthdays?

Is it changed days at ER now that talent like Wotherspoon, Welsh, Byrne et al don't make the break through until they finish with the U-19s? Could it be that these lads aren't as talented as the crop named in para 1? Anyone care to take this supposition on?

We had no option but to play the "golden generation" as early as we did. We've never run out of senior players the way we did back then, since Williamson.

Perspective
15-10-2009, 06:10 PM

My brother and I often have the same conversation. Blooding players early has been one of our strengths and I often think it brings them on quicker.

I worry the likes of McCormack have stagnated a bit already because they weren't exposed earlier to regular football. If you're 19 at a club like Hibs and not making the breakthrough then I don't really see it happening for them.

Jonnyboy
15-10-2009, 10:01 PM

Not to mention Jimmy O'Rourke who made his first team debut AND played in a European Cup tie when he was only 16 :agree:

greenlad
15-10-2009, 11:02 PM

Its not the case that Hibs always blooded youngsters at 17/18, there are numerous examples of players breaking through that wee bit later and you shouldn't write anyone off if they aren't in the first team at 19.

Stanton debuted for Hibs at the age of 19 I seem to think after a loan spell at Bonnyrigg

Miller debuted just before his 18th birthday but was still out on loan at Stenhousemuir until well after 19th birthday and was not starting regularly until after 20th birthday

O'Connor broke through early , before 18th birthday agreed:agree:

Riordan is the archetypal late developer, despite being 2 months older than O'Connor he didn't debut until 7 months later and didn't even remotely look likely to hold down a first team shirt until well after his 20th birthday (which was spent on loan at Cowdenbeath having never scored for Hibs in over a year of sporadic appearances). While his technical quality was never in doubt I had serious reservations whether he would stand up to the hurly-burly of the SPL, thankfully this fear has since proved groundless.

Scott Brown - in first team at 17 and outstanding from day 1:agree:

Kevin Thomson - debut at 19 in October 2003 but immediately looked a class act - one who I feel might have struggled if he'd been introduced too early.

Similarly Whittaker was not any more than a fringe midfielder/forward until Tony Mowbray arrived after his 20th birthday and moved him to right back where he excelled.

Despite the above I do see your point and generally subscribe to the theory "if you're good enough you're old enough" but Riordan in particular sums up why you can't always write players off if they're not in the first team by a certain age.