PDA

View Full Version : taking son to football

madgoalie87
13-10-2009, 01:13 PM
well the time has come ma wee boy turned 1 yesterday and now im thinkin of takin him along to ER,, just wondering if he can sit on my knee at the game or do i have to buy him his own ticket?? ( i got lifted over the turnsile lol) any feedback would be appreciated:thumbsup:

Hibee87
13-10-2009, 01:20 PM
well the time has come ma wee boy turned 1 yesterday and now im thinkin of takin him along to ER,, just wondering if he can sit on my knee at the game or do i have to buy him his own ticket?? ( i got lifted over the turnsile lol) any feedback would be appreciated:thumbsup:

You have to buy him a ticket but her can stil lsit on your knee,

if the weeone can walk what you do is hide him at your legs pay for one and both shimmy through the turnstile :wink:

Keith_M
13-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Am I the only person who thinks this is child cruelty?

:wink:

Hibercelona
13-10-2009, 01:39 PM

A blessing. :agree:

StevieC
13-10-2009, 01:48 PM
well the time has come ma wee boy turned 1 yesterday and now im thinkin of takin him along to ER

If he doesn't have a ticket I suspect the club are duty bound to remove him from the stadium due to the requirements of the safety certificate issued.
I doubt they would though as it's unlikely he'd be causing a problem or even reported for that matter.

You're safest bet is to get an adult and child season ticket for the West or the Famous Five. You get discounts on your adult ticket that means it's only a few quid more for both so you aren't missing out if he only makes a few games a season.

Remeber though, he's just a child and as such is likely to get bored and want to leave. You have to be prepared, as a responsible adult, to miss part of the match to cater for the needs of your child.

:agree:

Hibercelona
13-10-2009, 01:59 PM
If he doesn't have a ticket I suspect the club are duty bound to remove him from the stadium due to the requirements of the safety certificate issued.
I doubt they would though as it's unlikely he'd be causing a problem or even reported for that matter.

You're safest bet is to get an adult and child season ticket for the West or the Famous Five. You get discounts on your adult ticket that means it's only a few quid more for both so you aren't missing out if he only makes a few games a season.

Remeber though, he's just a child and as such is likely to get bored and want to leave. You have to be prepared, as a responsible adult, to miss part of the match to cater for the needs of your child.
:agree:

Responsible adults at ER?...... nah :greengrin

More like you'll get so wrapped up in the game... that you don't even realize that one of the sides has 11 and a half players on the field. :wink:

sunshine1875
13-10-2009, 02:20 PM

I didn't pay for my wee boy until he had his season ticket around the age of three - he had been to about 20 games by then. No-one ever complained even when I went to away games with him.

At a ICT away game, the guy at the turnstile "said £15 for the wee boy too.............only joking!!!" and let him in for free.

Exiled Hibby
13-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Responsible adults at ER?...... nah :greengrin

More like you'll get so wrapped up in the game... that you don't even realize that one of the sides has 11 and a half players on the field. :wink:

he could easily be mistaken for one of our midfield giants:wink:

NOLA
13-10-2009, 02:59 PM
can anyone tell me if there are baby changing facilities at ER? not in the east obviously but say the west?

greenlex
13-10-2009, 03:06 PM
can anyone tell me if there are baby changing facilities at ER? not in the east obviously but say the west?
Don't think so.
What's wrong with the one you've got? :greengrin

duffers
13-10-2009, 03:09 PM
I didn't pay for my wee boy until he had his season ticket around the age of three - he had been to about 20 games by then. No-one ever complained even when I went to away games with him.

At a ICT away game, the guy at the turnstile "said £15 for the wee boy too.............only joking!!!" and let him in for free.

I think any kid under the age of say five should be given free entry to the games.Would also encourage people to take their sons/daughters meening more young hibiees :thumbsup:

StevieC
13-10-2009, 03:56 PM
I think any kid under the age of say five should be given free entry to the games.

A season ticket for the Famous Five costs the equivalent of £15 (£25 for West Stand) when you take into account the family group discount on an adult season ticket.

I know that isn't free, but it's not far off it.

duffers
13-10-2009, 04:11 PM
A season ticket for the Famous Five costs the equivalent of £15 (£25 for West Stand) when you take into account the family group discount on an adult season ticket.

I know that isn't free, but it's not far off it.

Thats understandable, but my cousin took his wee one a couple of weeks ago and im sure he said it was £12 for his 4year old son. That imo is ridiculous. especially if you can get a season ticket for £3 more

Mag7
13-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I think any kid under the age of say five should be given free entry to the games.Would also encourage people to take their sons/daughters meening more young hibiees :thumbsup:

I never took my kids to the football until they were eight. That probably sounds late to some, and I appreciate a lot of fans like to get their son/daughter to a game as early as possible, but I remember getting taken along when I was really wee and being bored out my head. Started to piss off my dad by clambering over the seats in the main stand with another wee pal who'd come along. IMHO 90 minutes is too long for a bairn to put up with and they're better off waiting until they're old enough to really get into the game (especially if you're paying today's outrageous prices to get them into the ground).

StevieC
13-10-2009, 04:51 PM
IMHO 90 minutes is too long for a bairn to put up with and they're better off waiting until they're old enough to really get into the game.

I would agree to an extent but taking your laddie (or lassie) to a game should be a lot more than just the 90 minutes of boring football.

It should be a full day of quality time with your kid. Doing something in the morning (cinema/swimming?), a bite to eat somewhere different (places like the Jolly on Elm Row are excellent to take the kids pre-match) and then the excitement of crowds and goals before heading home, possibly taking in a chippy tea on the way.

I sometimes even take the laddie (aged 4) down to Newcastle games and he absolutely loves the train journey, visit to the pub, banter with friends/relatives, hot dogs at the stadium etc. The game itself is tough going for him but the overall day is great and is quality time.

HibbyAndy
13-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I would agree to an extent but taking your laddie (or lassie) to a game should be a lot more than just the 90 minutes of boring football.

It should be a full day of quality time with your kid. Doing something in the morning (cinema/swimming?), a bite to eat somewhere different (places like the Jolly on Elm Row are excellent to take the kids pre-match) and then the excitement of crowds and goals before heading home, possibly taking in a chippy tea on the way.

I sometimes even take the laddie (aged 4) down to Newcastle games and he absolutely loves the train journey, visit to the pub, banter with friends/relatives, hot dogs at the stadium etc. The game itself is tough going for him but the overall day is great and is quality time.

Supportin Newcastle , nae wonder :wink:

StevieC
13-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Supportin Newcastle , nae wonder :wink:

I'd like to be able to disagree ... :hmmm:

.. but .. :boo hoo:

That's being a football fan for you.

:greengrin

HibbyAndy
13-10-2009, 05:24 PM
I'd like to be able to disagree ... :hmmm:

.. but .. :boo hoo:

That's being a football fan for you.

Newcastle doing well tho Stevie..4 points clear at top i think?

Might be eating a wee slice of humble pie if they go straight up and WBA and M'boro dont :duck::greengrin

Fair play though mate.

Danderhall Hibs
13-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Don't think so.
What's wrong with the one you've got? :greengrin

:hilarious

IMHO 90 minutes is too long for a bairn to put up with and they're better off waiting until they're old enough to really get into the game (especially if you're paying today's outrageous prices to get them into the ground).

I agree - taking a 1 year old is pointless. The only reason for that is so the wife doesn't moan about you going to the match IMO.

Wembley67
13-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Can I come to your next game, it sounds fun :greengrin

StevieC
13-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Only 3 points in it, but significantly Newcastle have already played 2 of the chasing 3 teams away from home and also have a 3 goal advantage over 2nd placed West Brom and a 7 goal advantage over Boro'.

Still a long season ahead though and, with nothing resolved off the pitch, there is likely to be no shortage issues to potentially unsettle things.

:rolleyes:

poolman
13-10-2009, 05:59 PM

That would be the case if you were a Yam and taking him to the PBS :agree:

StevieC
13-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Can I come to your next game, it sounds fun :greengrin

You're more than welcome .. Doncaster at home on the 24th. :wink:

Just don't tell anyone you're going and missing out on the pleasure of being spat on, verbally abused and potentially arrested at Ibrox to go, because the Hibby lynch mob will be round your house before you can say "officer, he's calling me a fenian b*$***d"!

HibbyAndy
13-10-2009, 06:10 PM
You're more than welcome .. Doncaster at home on the 24th. :wink:

Just don't tell anyone you're going and missing out on the pleasure of being spat on, verbally abused and potentially arrested at Ibrox to go, because the Hibby lynch mob will be round your house before you can say "officer, he's calling me a fenian b*$***d"!

Now this is my English team that i look out for (apart from Arsenal cause they play total football)..ive been to the Keepmoat twice and numerous occasions when they played next to the Asda carpark :greengrin.

Followe Donny since the were in the vauxhall conference in 00, and watched with much chuffedness as they progressed threw the leagues like a Wippet oan speed...Dave Penny guided them up up and up, and set the benchmark for where they are now, a side IMO which will consolidate in the Championship for 2 years then push oan for a playoff spot.

Aye the might Donny,:thumbsup:

Marabou Stork
13-10-2009, 06:18 PM
They are a bit of an annoyance at the match. I want to watch the match, not run round pretending to be a dinosaur.

StevieC
13-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Now this is my English team that i look out for ive been to the Keepmoat twice and numerous occasions when they played next to the Asda carpark

I was at Doncasters' Belle Vue ground for the 2001 FA Cup game against Scunthorpe.

A fantastic cup game that saw Doncaster take an early lead with Scunthorpe then taking control with two goals just before half time. Donny came out with blazing guns and equalised at the start of the second half. The game could have went either way but it was Scunthorpe that got the breakthrough and it finished 2-3.

Great atmosphere standing on packed terracing at a 70's style stadium.

hibsitis
13-10-2009, 06:55 PM
:hilarious

I agree - taking a 1 year old is pointless. The only reason for that is so the wife doesn't moan about you going to the match IMO.

Totally agree. Nothing in it for the kid except almost certain boredom and not much in it for dad if he has to leave early. Wait until he can sit through a game on the telly before thinking about it.

iwasthere1972
13-10-2009, 08:02 PM

Save your cash. One year old is far too young. Wait until your wee boy is school age at least.

Can't understand folk who take really young kids to the match as they will never remember it.

Was there a thread a few months ago about a Yam grandad buying his six month old a season ticket at Tynie? If so then absolutely crazy.

HIBERNIALEITH
13-10-2009, 09:15 PM
The first game I took my daughter to was a pre-season friendly! If I remember correctly it was Leeds United. July 2003. She was nearly 2! She had a great day out! Luckily it was a friendly as she spent most of the game saying "Hiya" to everyone for the duration of the game! She enjoyed it even more because everyone started paying more attention to her than the game!. She does still get a little bored but still loves meeting everyone before and after the game (sometimes during too when I have to spend a fortune on her at the bloody kiosks!). Her dad, a jambo, took her to Tynecastle once, she came back in the house furious, saying she was never going there again! :top marks(Hearts 1 St Mirren 1) Her dad was near enough saying the same thing!! :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
13-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Might be eating a wee slice of humble pie if they go straight up and WBA and M'boro dont :duck::greengrin

Fair play though mate.

Albion have Toon exactly where they want them! As Toon will implode late in the season :wink:

Alicky Ranks
13-10-2009, 10:02 PM
It is child cruelty, it is damned difficult during the game - but then in previous generations someone of us were forced to go to Church or Chapel and that was based on a fiction!

At least at E.R there is no pretence whatsoever, we are a mediocre underachieving team, but it's ours and very soon it will be your laddies too and that confirmation from your lad is worth it's weight in goals - HIBEES:thumbsup:

PS; You will pay so much more in terms of eats at the game than the season ticket costs in very short order:rolleyes::agree:

Doesn't always follow that a kid will support the same team as their dad/mum solely because they got taken along to watch them from a very young age. More often than not they probably will but I know a few folk who deliberately picked a different team to their dad. Couple of my mates for example are Hibs fans but their dads were Jambos. I'm sure the reverse has happened too. IMHO you shouldn't start dragging tiny kids along to the football to 'make' them like Hibs. Gentle encouragement in the early years followed by a game when they're old enough to enjoy it is best. In fact, thinking about it, is it really FAIR to impose Hibs on a kid?? My brother's lad is a season ticket holder at Old Trafford and while you might say that's a glory-hunting choice he's become Man U through and through and I sometimes envy him as a fan being able to watch real top quality football over the last few years.

StevieC
13-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Albion have Toon exactly where they want them! As Toon will implode late in the season :wink:

Well I feel much better now you've said that ... given your quote 2 months ago about them being a "joke" team with their "joke" preperation all but guaranteeing that they wouldn't get anywhere near promotion ... with Ashley deliberately weakening them in the process.

With your track record on Newcastle predictions, I can see your "implosion late in the season" being a last game of the season defeat to a reserve team put out because they'd already won the league by the end of March.

zlatan
13-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Took my nephew to the St Mirren game, he was about to turn 4 but had a great day out. Got bought the top with his name on the back and a Happy Meal afterwards, the wee bugger didn't have a clue what was going on during the game but enjoyed being thrown about after we scored and getting the opportunity to sit and shout at the top of his lungs for a while :hilarious

Only took him because it was my last chance before moving away from uni and wanted to plant the Hibs seed before I left, fortunately it seems to have worked.

Phil MaGlass
15-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Strap yir kid tae yir belly,put a big jacket on and sneak him in then sit him on yir lap during the game.Then he gets in for free and yir no stealin a seat

Mon Dieu4
15-10-2009, 11:39 AM
I have gone with a 6 year old to about 15 games & not paid for her once, she just walks through the turnstyle with me & no one has ever said anything about it.

Also went with my 2 & a half year old nephew to the ST Johnstone game, once again I was carrying him, went right through the gate no problem :wink:

gav71
15-10-2009, 12:04 PM
i took my son along to a game recently he is 2 and i did not have too pay for him but the downside was having a moron right behind us who swore constantly through the game even after i asked him to stop why i never just knocked him into next week still surprises me