PDA

View Full Version : All Weather Training Facility?

Sylar
12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
What do Hibs have in the way of an all-weather training facility? Does East Mains have an indoor facility for during the cold months?

Reason I ask, is that I was in the new Sports Village at Aberdeen University today, playing in our 7-aside staff league (free, I might add :thumbsup:) and their indoor pitch is absolutely breathtaking! It's a full size pitch, which felt as though you could fit 3x11 aside pitches into it, with a perfect surface (new state of the art zip-grass) movable goals (11's and 7's) and plenty of space for movement.

Have to say, I was well impressed, and if Aberdeen don't use it during the winter months, I'll be surprised!

Bayern Bru
12-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Yes, there's an indoor (full size IIRC) training pitch.

PaulSmith
12-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes, there's an indoor (full size IIRC) training pitch.

Nah, the indoor one is only around the size of the big pitch at the world of football i.e around 7 a side

Bayern Bru
12-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Nah, the indoor one is only around the size of the big pitch at the world of football i.e around 7 a side

Didn't recall correctly then! Thanks for correcting me, I couldn't remember exactly.

MyJo
12-10-2009, 06:11 PM
iirc there are 1 or 2 pitches outside that are state of the art astroturf and a 3/4 size indoor pitch

The Godfather
12-10-2009, 06:13 PM
iirc there are 1 or 2 pitches outside that are state of the art astroturf and a 3/4 size indoor pitch

It's defo not as big as a 3/4 size pitch inside m8

Brooster
12-10-2009, 06:57 PM

The indoor pitch isn't as big as the academy pitch at World of Soccer - I'd say somewhere between the 5's pitches and the academy pitch in size. Hibs also have a full size all weather pitch outdoors at East Mains.

Hamilton_Hibs
12-10-2009, 07:45 PM
What do Hibs have in the way of an all-weather training facility? Does East Mains have an indoor facility for during the cold months?

Reason I ask, is that I was in the new Sports Village at Aberdeen University today, playing in our 7-aside staff league (free, I might add :thumbsup:) and their indoor pitch is absolutely breathtaking! It's a full size pitch, which felt as though you could fit 3x11 aside pitches into it, with a perfect surface (new state of the art zip-grass) movable goals (11's and 7's) and plenty of space for movement.
Have to say, I was well impressed, and if Aberdeen don't use it during the winter months, I'll be surprised!

Sounds quite similar to the indoor facility at toryglen (across the road from hampden). Seemingly the indoor pitch has exactly the same measurements as the hampden pitch. Its quite something when you see it, best facility iv ever seen.

Sylar
12-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds quite similar to the indoor facility at toryglen (across the road from hampden). Seemingly the indoor pitch has exactly the same measurements as the hampden pitch. Its quite something when you see it, best facility iv ever seen.

The Aberdeen one is a result of a £28 million lottery grant from SportScotland.

Some pictures of the facility are here:

Aberdeen Sport Village (http://www.aberdeensportsvillage.com/about/virtual/gallery/)

The indoor football pitch are pictures 6-8.

Mikey_1875
12-10-2009, 08:41 PM
We get to use the indoor pitch every week with the uni football team. Really is tremendous, and the pitch can easily be split into 3 and still give us enough room for 8-a-side. Pitch is quality aswell and as said before absolutely massive.

Sylar
12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
We get to use the indoor pitch every week with the uni football team. Really is tremendous, and the pitch can easily be split into 3 and still give us enough room for 8-a-side. Pitch is quality aswell and as said before absolutely massive.

I'd love a crack at playing 11's on it. I'd thought about joining the Uni team actually, but being a PhD student, I don't think I'm eligible, alas.

Hate to think how much it costs to hire the full pitch though, as it's £70 to hire a third of it!!!

Mikey_1875
12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
I'd love a crack at playing 11's on it. I'd thought about joining the Uni team actually, but being a PhD student, I don't think I'm eligible, alas.

Hate to think how much it costs to hire the full pitch though, as it's £70 to hire a third of it!!!

We play in the amateur leagues on a saturday so you would definetly be ok for that as we have a guy who isn't even at uni playing. All you need is a valid student ID card to play in the uni wednesday leagues aswell.

You also get halfers on the pitch if you've got a Abdn student card.

duncs
12-10-2009, 09:22 PM
The Aberdeen one is a result of a £28 million lottery grant from SportScotland.

Some pictures of the facility are here:

Aberdeen Sport Village (http://www.aberdeensportsvillage.com/about/virtual/gallery/)

The indoor football pitch are pictures 6-8.

The Uni actually put up almost half the money, the grant from SportScotland wasn't that big, the majority of the money came from the Uni and the City Council. It is an incredible building and if the money is stumped up for Phase 3 it will be even better, truly a world class facility.

Aberdeen FC were approached to get involved in the project but didn't think it was worthwhile - however, they the youth set-up is now snapping up all the available bookings - having worked at Strikers (the other indoor football place in Aberdeen where they did the same when that opened), AFC is run terribly, no foresight for the future development.

You can play for the Uni as a PhD student - when I was working for the Students' Association last year we made a concerted effort to get mature and PhD students more involved in clubs and societies because they aren't properly advertised as being available to them

hibsboy90
12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
The Uni actually put up almost half the money, the grant from SportScotland wasn't that big, the majority of the money came from the Uni and the City Council. It is an incredible building and if the money is stumped up for Phase 3 it will be even better, truly a world class facility.

Aberdeen FC were approached to get involved in the project but didn't think it was worthwhile - however, they the youth set-up is now snapping up all the available bookings - having worked at Strikers (the other indoor football place in Aberdeen where they did the same when that opened), AFC is run terribly, no foresight for the future development.

You can play for the Uni as a PhD student - when I was working for the Students' Association last year we made a concerted effort to get mature and PhD students more involved in clubs and societies because they aren't properly advertised as being available to them

£28M facility, and no swimming pool as it stands, that is what gets me. Though I understand that phase 2/3 involves an olympic size swimming pool being built.

Have used the facility a couple of times so far for the squash courts, and it really is a phenomenal place. It did get me wondering if East Mains had a similar pitch.

Just worked out who you are duncs :wink: Sat with you for the second half of Hibs v Sheep at Pittodrie last year.

Calvin
13-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Had a look about the Sports Village the other day as well and was very impressed. I'd like to play football on that pitch for sure!

bigstu
13-10-2009, 11:23 AM

I was going to post similar, it's amazing that AFC decided against going in with the Council & Uni to help fund the Sports Village. It's exactly the sort of facility they need! They struggle to get places to train so this sort of facility right on their doorstep would have been perfect for them.

As you say they are run poorly, can't see their new stadium saga ever coming to and end with those muppets running the club. This is despite the fact that the Council is going to pay a large percentage of the costs involved (assuming the Council still has some money left!), Hibs have made great progress with the stadium and training facilities over the years and had no help at all from the Council.

Woody1985
13-10-2009, 11:56 AM

I'm guessing that the maximum will be 3 x 70 = 210 + 105 (for an extra half hour) = £305. Most places charge for 90 minutes rather than 105 (for a half time).

I can't imagine they would charge £305 quid though. Even if it's £200 I can't imagine you'd have too many people grumbling about paying a tenner each.

RIP
13-10-2009, 02:32 PM

Are we talking about an all-weather training facility or are we talking about an indoor training facility? Hibs have both but there are specfic and separate uses for each.

A manager's preference would be to train on a surface close to that which the players will use on a Saturday. The first choice therefore is a grass outdoor pitch.

If the grass pitches are frostbound or extremely damp, the all-weather pitch be called upon. Hibs chose not to utilise under-soil heating so even this pitch will be subject to severe weather.

If there's a bad snowfall will the indoor pitch be used. The indoor pitch has other uses such as putting trialists through their paces away from prying eyes and also specific training routines e.g. fitness for recuperating players.

That's my understanding anyway

Hibs7
13-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I was going to post similar, it's amazing that AFC decided against going in with the Council & Uni to help fund the Sports Village. It's exactly the sort of facility they need! They struggle to get places to train so this sort of facility right on their doorstep would have been perfect for them.

As you say they are run poorly, can't see their new stadium saga ever coming to and end with those muppets running the club. This is despite the fact that the Council is going to pay a large percentage of the costs involved (assuming the Council still has some money left!), Hibs have made great progress with the stadium and training facilities over the years and had no help at all from the Council.

Aberdeen probably have in mind the fact they want to move so will incorporate a training facility at the new stadium I would imagine (if it goes ahead)

Antifa Hibs
13-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Are we talking about an all-weather training facility or are we talking about an indoor training facility? Hibs have both but there are specfic and separate uses for each.

A manager's preference would be to train on a surface close to that which the players will use on a Saturday. The first choice therefore is a grass outdoor pitch.

If the grass pitches are frostbound or extremely damp, the all-weather pitch be called upon. Hibs chose not to utilise under-soil heating so even this pitch will be subject to severe weather.

If there's a bad snowfall will the indoor pitch be used. The indoor pitch has other uses such as putting trialists through their paces away from prying eyes and also specific training routines e.g. fitness for recuperating players.

That's my understanding anyway

Don't Hibs take advantage of the undersoil heating at Easter Road during the cauld weather? Which is why the pitch was in such a state last season?

Bit silly spending £5 mill on a training center and using the football pitch to train on, you'd think they'd have something in place, a thick cover or that hair air thing Motherwell used last season.