PDA

View Full Version : Time to get together

NAE NOOKIE
11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Theres been a few posters elsewhere looking to start a we hate the Old Firm campaign.

In all seriousness why dont we start a campaign.

Not "we hate the OF" but a 'Support a non OF club' campaign.

There are many people who support clubs outwith their local area, but for reasons other than that they win all the time and have constant out of proportion media coverage.

With the OF that for the most part is exactly why people outside of Glasgow support them, the bigot part just comes with it later on.

Every club in Scotland has some sort of organised supporters set up. Why doesn't one of them ( aye OK us ) organise a meeting to be attended by reps from every non OF supporters club to come up with some sort of plan.

As far as I know the Hibs supporters club has around 1000 to 2000 members. I'm not one, so correct me if I am wrong.

But if East Stirling has 50 members and Aberdeen have 3000 members then £1 from each member from them, and all of the clubs in between would pay for a full page advert in the Daily Ranger going something like this:

1 ) Sometimes supporting your club is horrible .... ( picture of a Wanderers fan holding a newspaper with Wanderers 0 United 5 on the back )

2 ) Sometimes supporting your club is even worse ...... ( picture of a fan in tears watching his / her club getting relegated )

3 ) Sometimes its brilliant ..... ( picture of a fan watching his / her club getting promotion )

4 ) After 10 years his / her club made it into Europe ....( picture of a happy fan in holiday gear )

5) After 20 years their club actually won something ... ( picture of a group of fans going mental ) They never thought it would ever happen.

This is what being a football fan is all about: The highs, The lows, The tears, The joy. You cant have one without the other, but the highs are all the better when you have been through the lows.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, if your club won all the time and it became routine and run of the mill, that would be great.

But would you really know what its like to be a real supporter then ?

What good is loyalty if its never tested. ( picture of the OF )

IF YOUR POSTCODE HASN'T GOT A 'G' IN IT THERE ARE OTHER CLUBS OUT THERE. C'MON, FIND OUT WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE A REAL FOOTBALL FAN.

Anyway ... shoot me down if you want, but its worth a try.

snooky
11-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Theres been a few posters elsewhere looking to start a we hate the Old Firm campaign.

In all seriousness why dont we start a campaign.

Not "we hate the OF" but a 'Support a non OF club' campaign.

There are many people who support clubs outwith their local area, but for reasons other than that they win all the time and have constant out of proportion media coverage.

With the OF that for the most part is exactly why people outside of Glasgow support them, the bigot part just comes with it later on.

Every club in Scotland has some sort of organised supporters set up. Why doesn't one of them ( aye OK us ) organise a meeting to be attended by reps from every non OF supporters club to come up with some sort of plan.

As far as I know the Hibs supporters club has around 1000 to 2000 members. I'm not one, so correct me if I am wrong.

But if East Stirling has 50 members and Aberdeen have 3000 members then £1 from each member from them, and all of the clubs in between would pay for a full page advert in the Daily Ranger going something like this:

1 ) Sometimes supporting your club is horrible .... ( picture of a Wanderers fan holding a newspaper with Wanderers 0 United 5 on the back )

2 ) Sometimes supporting your club is even worse ...... ( picture of a fan in tears watching his / her club getting relegated )

3 ) Sometimes its brilliant ..... ( picture of a fan watching his / her club getting promotion )

4 ) After 10 years his / her club made it into Europe ....( picture of a happy fan in holiday gear )

5) After 20 years their club actually won something ... ( picture of a group of fans going mental ) They never thought it would ever happen.

This is what being a football fan is all about: The highs, The lows, The tears, The joy. You cant have one without the other, but the highs are all the better when you have been through the lows.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, if your club won all the time and it became routine and run of the mill, that would be great.

But would you really know what its like to be a real supporter then ?

What good is loyalty if its never tested. ( picture of the OF )

IF YOUR POSTCODE HASN'T GOT A 'G' IN IT THERE ARE OTHER CLUBS OUT THERE. C'MON, FIND OUT WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE A REAL FOOTBALL FAN.

Anyway ... shoot me down if you want, but its worth a try.

A bit like taking a penalty and a long range free kick.
The penalty: i.e the OF = Should score (i.e. win the League/Cup) Anything less is a failure.
The long range free kick: i.e the rest of us = not much chance but give it your best shot and if it goes in the net, OH the joy.

As the OP said "the highs are all the better when you have been through the lows" .... and we've all been down there a few times :boo hoo:

hibsdaft
11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
i've long thought that the OF could be crippled by pointing out the despicable institutions that business are getting in tow with by working with them.

e.g. would multinationals who operate in Italy like to be associated with some of the stuff that is accepted at Ipox etc.

basehibby
11-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I like the essence of this idea - ie the non-OF supporters clubs getting together and pooling their resources and I like the idea of exposing the OF for what they are in the national press as well.
I think the concept would have to be a lot snappier and more to the point though.

A few ideas that make sense to me are:

Comparing them to Judas Iscariot - betraying the cause for 30 pieces of silver.
Asking fans to support a club that has the future of the Scottish game at heart - one that will develop Scottish talent rather than let it rot on the vine.
Encourage kids to dare to be different - why act like a sheep and be brainwashed into bogotry??? Support your local team etc.
I'm no ad man but as far as I know any campaign will usually have a strong central theme/message and slogan - something fairly straightforward that will stick in the mind. My examples are just that - examples - I'm sure someone could think of something better - but they are strong themes which could be summed up in a short sentence or slogan and that's what would be required IMO.

NAE NOOKIE
11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I like the essence of this idea - ie the non-OF supporters clubs getting together and pooling their resources and I like the idea of exposing the OF for what they are in the national press as well.
I think the concept would have to be a lot snappier and more to the point though.

A few ideas that make sense to me are:

Comparing them to Judas Iscariot - betraying the cause for 30 pieces of silver.
Asking fans to support a club that has the future of the Scottish game at heart - one that will develop Scottish talent rather than let it rot on the vine.
Encourage kids to dare to be different - why act like a sheep and be brainwashed into bogotry??? Support your local team etc.
I'm no ad man but as far as I know any campaign will usually have a strong central theme/message and slogan - something fairly straightforward that will stick in the mind. My examples are just that - examples - I'm sure someone could think of something better - but they are strong themes which could be summed up in a short sentence or slogan and that's what would be required IMO.

Good points basehibby. I'm no adman either, as you can see from my post.

I suppose that any advert would have to be acceptable to the watchdogs though, so it would have to be positive to the rest of Scottish football as opposed to just an attack on the OF ...... worse luck :greengrin

Having said that I've Been thinking that if this was to come off as far as I am aware it would be a world first. IE the fans of the also rans getting together to stick it to the playground bullies.

Look out Real Madrid & Barcelona. Ajax Feynoord & PSV, Benfica & Sporting. Boca & River etc etc.

If anybody with the ear from those at the top in the Hibs supporters club is reading this: For me its just an idea, but you could make it happen.

:hmmm:

TheMentalHibees
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Good points basehibby. I'm no adman either, as you can see from my post.

I suppose that any advert would have to be acceptable to the watchdogs though, so it would have to be positive to the rest of Scottish football as opposed to just an attack on the OF ...... worse luck :greengrin

Having said that I've Been thinking that if this was to come off as far as I am aware it would be a world first. IE the fans of the also rans getting together to stick it to the playground bullies.

Look out Real Madrid & Barcelona. Ajax Feynoord & PSV, Benfica & Sporting. Boca & River etc etc.

If anybody with the ear from those at the top in the Hibs supporters club is reading this: For me its just an idea, but you could make it happen.

:hmmm:

IF is a wonderful thing. What IF.

What if we get to the cup final? What if we win it?
What if we get to the top of the league? What if we WIN the league?
What if we get into the European spot? What if we get into europe?
What if we hit the bottom of the league? What if we get relegated?
What if we hit the bottom of the league? What if we survive relegation?

IF is what keeps us interested. IF is what keeps us full of hope. IF is what picks us up from the bad times. IF is what keeps us on the edge of
our seats. IF is what keeps the fire burning. IF is what makes football worthwhile.

Love IF, not the OF.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well thats my attempt. A bit anti-OF, but you catch my drift.

NaeTechnoHibby
11-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I have plenty of red paper left from the OFGTF campaign :agree:

A5 size, if yer interested :greengrin

Oranje39
11-10-2009, 07:08 PM
I have no absolutely no connection with Edinburgh or Hibs but choose them because I didn't want to follow the old firm. So I choose Hibs we got relegated.... The only was is up I thought!

:thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
11-10-2009, 07:08 PM

IF is what keeps us interested. IF is what keeps us full of hope. IF is what picks us up from the bad times. IF is what keeps us on the edge of
our seats. IF is what keeps the fire burning. IF is what makes football worthwhile.

Love IF, not the OF.

Hells bells .. This could be catching on :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
11-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I have no absolutely no connection with Edinburgh or Hibs but choose them because I didn't want to follow the old firm. So I choose Hibs we got relegated.... The only was is up I thought!

:thumbsup:

This is exactly what I was on about.

If you are going to follow a team from outwith your own area there is nothing wrong with that in principle.

Do it coz you like the name or the strip strip or coz you like the stadium or coz you think the striker is sexy.

But not just coz they win all the time. That makes you a glory hunter.

MrSmith
11-10-2009, 08:07 PM
What about...

Scottish Football the heart and soul of every real fan!

Support football or go see the OF!

(please don't make a big thing of the heart thing!)

danofire
11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Totally agree with everything on this thread - just the fact that there are so many threads about the OF getting out highlights the strength of feeling against them.

Check out this petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/oldfirmlessSPL/index.html

:bye::bye::bye::bye:

MacBean
12-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Love IF, not the OF.

:top marks:top marks

Ryan91
12-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Love IF, not the OF.

:top marks
Superb, do we have an ad man in our midst? Reminds me of the Irn Bru advert that they did by basing it around the poem 'If-' by Rudyard Kipling, i think that this might just work.