PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon (merged)

Cocaine&Caviar
11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Got man of the match yesterday playing on the left side of central defence in Scotland Under 21s 1-0 win over Belarus...

Well done to him...

Petrie's Tache
11-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Got man of the match yesterday playing on the left side of central defence in Scotland Under 21s 1-0 win over Belarus...

Well done to him...

Where he should be with us IMHO. Murray at left back. Wotherspoon on the right and either Bamba or McCormack at Right Central defence.

offshorehibby
11-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Not seen this mentioned anywhere. Paul seemingly played a blinder at CH yesterday for the u21's, well done son.

Cocaine&Caviar
11-10-2009, 11:05 AM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=163555

Beat you to it :thumbsup:

offshorehibby
11-10-2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=163555

Beat you to it :thumbsup:

We must have read the paper about the same time.

Expecting Rain
11-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Great potential, the biggest obstacle he`ll have to face is the impatience of some our supporters when he `s not having the best of games, i`m not surprised he was man of the match yesterday.

Argylehibby
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Great potential, the biggest obstacle he`ll have to face is the impatience of some our supporters when he `s not having the best of games, i`m not surprised he was man of the match yesterday.

:agree: He's young and needs a bit of time but will be a great player for us if hes given a bit of slack.

maturehibby
11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
The potential is there and time will bring the class that is bubbling away under to the top - well played to a young classy Hibby

IWasThere2016
11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Spoke to folks who where there and they see he was a stand out. Well done to him! :thumbsup:

CB_NO3
11-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I have been saying for ages Hanlon is never a left back. He always gets caught out of position and gets dragged into the centre half position alot which is obviously a position he prefers. I hope he kicks on from here and proves to be a good centre half.

offshorehibby
11-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I think yogi should be playing him at CH in some of the bounce games we are having to gain more experience in that position.

sam armstrong
11-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I have been saying for ages Hanlon is never a left back. He always gets caught out of position and gets dragged into the centre half position alot which is obviously a position he prefers. I hope he kicks on from here and proves to be a good centre half.

Yes it's a while since we unearthed a good young centre back, let's hope Hanlon is the one.

gringojoe
11-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Yes it's a while since we unearthed a good young centre back, let's hope Hanlon is the one.

Only two I can remember are Gordon Hunter and Craig Paterson, must be due one soon.

Ritchie
12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
it said in the sunday mail....

"controlled the defence well, will be a great centre half at easter road in years to come" :thumbsup:

rainman
12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Only two I can remember are Gordon Hunter and Craig Paterson, must be due one soon.

You could argue that darren Dodds is doing well for himself. F*** knows how.

MB62
12-10-2009, 10:44 AM
You could argue that darren Dodds is doing well for himself. F*** knows how.

And what's big Tweedy doing these days?

Ritchie
12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
And what's big Tweedy doing these days?

100% LEGEND!!

now player manager of Montrose! :agree:

sam armstrong
12-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Gordon Rae deserves a mention.

Peevemor
12-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Gordon Rae deserves a mention.

... although he started off as a CF.

scoopyboy
12-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I went through and Paul Hanlon did indeed play well.

It was his fourth cap for the under 21s, all in central defence.

It was however the first time he had played on the left side, which is his natural side.

Scotland might/would have benefitted from bringing David Wotherspoon on as the game was crying out for someone to make runs into the box.

Incidentally he is young enough to play in the next European under 21 championships as well, although as predicted by some after the SJ cup game by then he will be playing for Arbroath.

number 27
12-10-2009, 01:41 PM

The worry about Hanlon at centre half would be can he win enough headers. I like Hanlon but it does surprise me how poor he can be in the air. For me that is also the problem with Mccormack. I am concerned about these players being a soft touch for big strong target men like Kyle or Lee Miller.

Dashing Bob S
12-10-2009, 02:18 PM
The worry about Hanlon at centre half would be can he win enough headers. I like Hanlon but it does surprise me how poor he can be in the air. For me that is also the problem with Mccormack. I am concerned about these players being a soft touch for big strong target men like Kyle or Lee Miller.

I like the idea of anybody being a soft touch for Lee Miller.

sam armstrong
12-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Young players can improve with experience in the air, I remember Berra as a youngster getting bullied by a lot of forwards but he can now handle it better. I think Berra had the advantage of being taller than Hanlon although I think Hanlon is better on the ball than Berra.