PDA

View Full Version : NHC Argentina

AFKA5814_Hibs
10-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Interesting to see how they get on in the next few days.

A World Cup without Lionel Messi would be disappointing, but Maradona has his work cut out. :hmmm:

Expecting Rain
10-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Maradona makes Roy Keane and John Barnes look good as managers, as a player a genius, hope they make it though.

Toaods
10-10-2009, 11:05 PM
although we are talking about a higher standard of player the Maradona/Argentina situation reminds me of the Collins/Hibs - started of brightly and become rather confused.

Maybe Messi will be the new George Best , ie great talent but missing out on the biggest stage of all.

AFKA5814_Hibs
10-10-2009, 11:11 PM
although we are talking about a higher standard of player the Maradona/Argentina situation reminds me of the Collins/Hibs - started of brightly and become rather confused.

Maybe Messi will be the new George Best , ie great talent but missing out on the biggest stage of all.

Messi should always be at the World Cup Dave, there is a big difference between Argentina and Northern Ireland.

They should beat Peru tonight, but the big game is against Uruguay next week.

Sir David Gray
10-10-2009, 11:11 PM

Messi played in the last World Cup.

NOLA
10-10-2009, 11:28 PM

Ryan Giggs is a player who should have shown the world how good he really is on a world cup finals adventure, add ian rush + mark hughes, wales had the attacking talent but fell well short on the defensive side, shame.

Sir David Gray
10-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Ryan Giggs is a player who should have shown the world how good he really is on a world cup finals adventure, add ian rush + mark hughes, wales had the attacking talent but fell well short on the defensive side, shame.

:agree: It's a real crying shame that someone of Ryan Giggs' outstanding ability has never graced a World Cup.

There can't be many players who are better than Giggs, who have also never played in a World Cup.

It shows how great he really is when I believe that even at almost 37 years of age, Ryan Giggs would walk straight into the starting XI of almost every side in South Africa next summer.

Fantastic player.
Fantastic professional.
Fantastic individual.

He is the perfect role model for any young person looking to make it as a footballer.

Wotherspiniesta
10-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Taxi for Maradona!

Wotherspiniesta
10-10-2009, 11:56 PM
:shocked:

David_D
10-10-2009, 11:58 PM
no bad we slide from maradona there

Wotherspiniesta
10-10-2009, 11:59 PM
FT 2-1 Argentina. You'd think they'd just won the WC !

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-10-2009, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=Wotherspiniesta;2203222]FT 2-1 Argentina. You'd think they'd just won the WC ![/QUOTE

Big game to play against Uruguay. Lose that and they're in the play offs at best, might even not even finish there if Ecuador beat already qualified Chile.

Pete
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Can't say I'll be that bothered if Argentina miss out.

People seem to think they are this magical footballing country but they're anything but. The dutch should have beat them in 78 and England should have put them out in 86.

FFS they still play Veron. He probably wouldn't get anywhere near any premiership team.

Nothing to be scared of and any decent European team like Spain, England or Germany will put them to the sword.

jakedance
11-10-2009, 12:36 AM
:agree: It's a real crying shame that someone of Ryan Giggs' outstanding ability has never graced a World Cup.

There can't be many players who are better than Giggs, who have also never played in a World Cup.

It shows how great he really is when I believe that even at almost 37 years of age, Ryan Giggs would walk straight into the starting XI of almost every side in South Africa next summer.

Fantastic player.
Fantastic professional.
Fantastic individual.

He is the perfect role model for any young person looking to make it as a footballer.

di Stefano and Weah never made it to a world cup. Neither did Cantona or De Canio.

I'm sure there must have been a few fantastic players that we've never heard of that could be compared to the greats but never had an opprtunity to show it at the world cup.

I'm sure I read once about some Jamaican guy that was Supposed to be phenomenal.

Danderhall Hibs
11-10-2009, 01:16 AM
di Stefano and Weah never made it to a world cup. Neither did Cantona or De Canio.

I'm sure there must have been a few fantastic players that we've never heard of that could be compared to the greats but never had an opprtunity to show it at the world cup.

I'm sure I read once about some Jamaican guy that was Supposed to be phenomenal.

Cantona and Di Canio weren't seen as good enough though - wee bit different from playing with a team of donkeys that can't qualify.

NOLA
11-10-2009, 01:33 AM

People seem to think they are this magical footballing country but they're anything but. The dutch should have beat them in 78 and England should have put them out in 86.

FFS they still play Veron. He probably wouldn't get anywhere near any premiership team.

Nothing to be scared of and any decent European team like Spain, England or Germany will put them to the sword.

Sorry mate, have to disagree on this big style, the world cup would not be the same without argentina and the likes of France and Portugal, IMO, Fair dues Portugal don't have history for winning it (or even close to) but would you rather have Scotland there to make up the numbers or the mentioned country's in my post?

Jack
11-10-2009, 07:37 AM
I have always said that there should be a team made up of 'the rest of the world'. All the stars that didnt make it.

As some have already said there are great players who have missed out on some World Cups and some never get there at all who IMO are a pleasure to watch.

Why not put together a World Team with the left overs?

And I would much rather be following a World team rather than 'anyone who is playing against England'. And on behalf of the rest of the world, if I may be so bold, what a great idea!

lapsedhibee
11-10-2009, 08:01 AM
As some have already said there are great players who have missed out on some World Cups and some never get there at all who IMO are a pleasure to watch.

Why not put together a World Team with the left overs?

Or just relax the qualification qualifications from the current unadventurous grandparent rule, so that a player can play for any country that he can accurately point to on a map of the world. This way the only great players that would miss out on World Cups would be American.

GreenOnions
11-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Or just relax the qualification qualifications from the current unadventurous grandparent rule, so that a player can play for any country that he can accurately point to on a map of the world. This way the only great players that would miss out on World Cups would be American.

:tee hee:

LiverpoolHibs
11-10-2009, 09:27 AM

Veron's been in just about the best form of his career in the last year or so.

Toaods
11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
a team of those under contract to Kaunas.....:greengrin

Toaods
11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Messi played in the last World Cup.

Messi should always be at the World Cup Dave, there is a big difference between Argentina and Northern Ireland

I know Messi was there of course but I was meaning the concept of one of the wrolds great inform players at that time not getting in on such a major tournament.

On the subject of great talents playing with a bunch of donkeys....poor old Kenny Dalglish - surely one of the worlds greatest talents in his prime.

Woody1985
11-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Sorry mate, have to disagree on this big style, the world cup would not be the same without argentina and the likes of France and Portugal, IMO, Fair dues Portugal don't have history for winning it (or even close to) but would you rather have Scotland there to make up the numbers or the mentioned country's in my post?

:faf:

Yes. Maybe not if I was a neutral.

fife hfc
11-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I watched that game last night and the Argies were terrible, come on the Uruguay and hopefully Ecuador get a result and knock them out. The only good thing done by an Argentinian last night was the celebration by Diego when they scored the winner.

SidBurns
11-10-2009, 07:01 PM

I agree too. Rooney went even further down in my estimations the other day wanting Portugal and the Argies to get knocked out to make it easier for them. Surely they wanna win it with the strongest opposition possible no!?!?!?! They'll not win it anyway, on their day Germany, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Holland and a few others will beat them.

On another similar note, had to turn Sky Sports News of yesterday, Tony Gale ranting on about how E**land hae the best defences, best midfield and best forwards in the world. Glad he left out Goalkeepers and Rooney aside, who else they got up front!?! Carlton Cole, Dean Ashton, Defoe!?! I'm sure all the aforementioned teams are cacking themselves facing them eh!?!?!?!

Rant over!!! :soapbox:

Exiled Hibby
12-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Scotland every time, whether making up the numbers or not

Gus
12-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I agree too. Rooney went even further down in my estimations the other day wanting Portugal and the Argies to get knocked out to make it easier for them. Surely they wanna win it with the strongest opposition possible no!?!?!?! They'll not win it anyway, on their day Germany, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Holland and a few others will beat them.

On another similar note, had to turn Sky Sports News of yesterday, Tony Gale ranting on about how E**land hae the best defences, best midfield and best forwards in the world. Glad he left out Goalkeepers and Rooney aside, who else they got up front!?! Carlton Cole, Dean Ashton, Defoe!?! I'm sure all the aforementioned teams are cacking themselves facing them eh!?!?!?!

Rant over!!! :soapbox:
The World Cup is for the countries that have shown their worth over the qualification period, if the likes of Argentina & Portugal dont cut the mustard then I for one will not shed a drop.

I would rather see England beat the best (try) but if you aint good enough to qualify then tough :bye:

But why would Wayne Rooney go further down your estimations (im sure he's bothered)?? He's telling it as it is.....I dont care for the teams who didnt/won't qualify (apart from Scotland)

MON ENGLAND

NOLA
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Scotland every time, whether making up the numbers or not

should have made my point clearer, i meant as a neutral football fan

SidBurns
12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
The World Cup is for the countries that have shown their worth over the qualification period, if the likes of Argentina & Portugal dont cut the mustard then I for one will not shed a drop.

I would rather see England beat the best (try) but if you aint good enough to qualify then tough :bye:

But why would Wayne Rooney go further down your estimations (im sure he's bothered)?? He's telling it as it is.....I dont care for the teams who didnt/won't qualify (apart from Scotland)

MON ENGLAND

Cause I don't like him, as Mr Meercat would say 'simples'. What's it to you whether I like him or anyway?!? I was just making the point that people would always say they won it without the best being there just like people say that about Harrington whilst Woods was out...

hibsbollah
12-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Teams that battle through qualifying often turn it on at the tournament proper (I think Brazil struggled through qualifying the last time they won the World Cup, although it could have been the time before).

With Messi and Tevez up front, a ridiculously talented young team who will improve in the next 9 months playing together and Maradona hopefully learning from his mistakes...(and 'they still play Veron' because despite not being suited to the English game 10 years ago, he has been the playmaker wherever else he played, is a total visionary and is the current South American player of the year)...

I honestly think if they qualify they could win the whole thing. Must be decent odds as well.

LiverpoolHibs
12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Teams that battle through qualifying often turn it on at the tournament proper (I think Brazil struggled through qualifying the last time they won the World Cup, although it could have been the time before).

With Messi and Tevez up front, a ridiculously talented young team who will improve in the next 9 months playing together and Maradona hopefully learning from his mistakes...(and 'they still play Veron' because despite not being suited to the English game 10 years ago, he has been the playmaker wherever else he played, is a total visionary and is the current South American player of the year)...

I honestly think if they qualify they could win the whole thing. Must be decent odds as well.

They need to sort themselves out, but I agree it's possible.

Their main problem seems to be that Maradona doesn't seem able to spot the imbalances in the side, or thinks they don't matter. You look at their squad for against Peru and the forwards they had; Tevez, Messi, Higuain, Lavezzi, Aguero - they are incredibly similar players to have five of the six places (also with the verging on past it Palermo). Does anyone know if Diego Milito is injured? I'd have thought it would go without saying that you'd play him plus one/two others (three even with two of Mascherano/Cambiasso/Veron holding) from the five above.

The back four he played was really odd as well. They haven't replaced Ayala and I think I'm right in saying he refuses to pick Walter Samuel - picking Schiavi instead, which is nothing short of mental.

Agree with you completely about Veron.