PDA

View Full Version : Following on from my previous thread.... (NHC)

Pedantic_Hibee
10-10-2009, 12:34 PM
which, for reference purposes, was this http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=155491

I now wish to pop the name of another outstanding goalscorer into your heads.

It was around World Cup '94 that I really took an interest in Romario, I can recall reading about him in one of those pre-tournament pull-outs you would get in a magazine which chronicled the players to watch out for.

Of course, at the time he was banging them in relentlessly for Barcelona having moved from PSV Eindhoven and after showing just how good he was in USA '94, he kind of disappeared from the domestic scene yet his goalscoring record for Brazil was, and still is, up there with the best. It's with the Selecao that most of us would probably remember him I imagine.

Short, stocky, with truly unbelievable close control, quick feet and skill with a deadly eye for goal. The link attached will show you a whole range of his goals of which none I can recall he "put his foot through it".

There was a calmness to his finishing, making the art of goalscoring look easy.

Compared to the orginal Ronaldo? Hmm, I'd still say Ronaldo was the more complete footballer, certainly more of a team-player and less selfish than Romario. But comparing each other at finishing/scoring? Too close to call.

Enjoy the link; Romario, a goalscorer supreme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CtDbZJHpo&feature=related

Dan Sarf
10-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Never realised how great he was. Loved the way he left defenders scattered behind him like fallen trees. Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

basehibby
10-10-2009, 01:22 PM
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
Sublime - what a player!

Haymaker
11-10-2009, 02:10 AM
The guy could ghost through defenders... Always "Lurked" up top and defenders always lost him... Unreal player.

Allegedly him and Stoichkov hated each other at Barca and were frequently in punch ups in the tunnel but jesus they could play football as a strike pair...