PDA

View Full Version : Chronlicling Famous Days in History

Viva_Palmeiras
09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Was in the Central Library and was hoping to access the Scotsman's archives (they have free access there) but the link was down.

So restricted I headed for the microfiche.

Woosie-eyed sometime later I found the 26/4/1902 and 28/4/1902 editions and had a peek to see what was written about the SC victory.

Not much in the way of a preview on the Saturday - seemed to focus on future fixtures in the East of Scotland league "Hearts of Mid-lothian" and St Bernards etc.

Quite a decent piece on the final said it was a dull affair. Mentioned a "four-in-hand" was waiting for the team to take them to ER on their arrival back home at Haymarket (not Waverley where some had been waiting). Interesting read and to see some of the other articles relating to the concerns of the day at the time.

Coincidently had a wee laugh as there was a Jamboid in looking at EEN pieces from what looked like the 70s/80s.

Anyone else done a bit of nosing around the archives?

Jonnyboy
09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Was in the Central Library and was hoping to access the Scotsman's archives (they have free access there) but the link was down.

So restricted I headed for the microfiche.

Woosie-eyed sometime later I found the 26/4/1902 and 28/4/1902 editions and had a peek to see what was written about the SC victory.

Not much in the way of a preview on the Saturday - seemed to focus on future fixtures in the East of Scotland league "Hearts of Mid-lothian" and St Bernards etc.

Quite a decent piece on the final said it was a dull affair. Mentioned a "four-in-hand" was waiting for the team to take them to ER on their arrival back home at Haymarket (not Waverley where some had been waiting). Interesting read and to see some of the other articles relating to the concerns of the day at the time.

Coincidently had a wee laugh as there was a Jamboid in looking at EEN pieces from what looked like the 70s/80s.

Anyone else done a bit of nosing around the archives?

I have and I know hibbybrian has :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Like the signature Johnnyboy!

Don't think my eyes could take much more of the microfiche :dizzy: so hopefully the next time I'm in the link to the Scotsman archives will be available.

Jim Herriot
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
It's a terrible scan, but the report you're referring to is at
http://www.londonhearts.com/century/april261902.htm

It doesn't sound like a classic...
"The visiting forwards did not combine to any effect, and were feeble in front of goal."
"play was very dull"
"[the goal] was a lucky point, but it was the means of brightening up what was proving a very poor game."
"The whistle sounded shortly afterwards, leaving the Hibernians winners of a dull and spiritless game."

The description of the celebrations is good, and mentions the cup being presented to Hibs President Mr Philip Farmer.

s.a.m
09-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I've been in a few times looking for stuff. It's gripping, and easy to get sidetracked..........Each time I've done it, I've gone with something specific in mind, and stayed hours.

One that sticks with me (absolutely no Hibs content) is a story about a Royal procession in the very early 1900's or late 1890's to an International Exhibition taking place on the land where Craiglockhart Primary and Ashley bungalows now sit. As the royal party are processing up Gilmore Place to waving and cheering crowds, thieves were rifling through their rooms in the NB hotel (I think), and making away with their jewells........

Viva_Palmeiras
09-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I've been in a few times looking for stuff. It's gripping, and easy to get sidetracked..........Each time I've done it, I've gone with something specific in mind, and stayed hours.

One that sticks with me (absolutely no Hibs content) is a story about a Royal procession in the very early 1900's or late 1890's to an International Exhibition taking place on the land where Craiglockhart Primary and Ashley bungalows now sit. As the royal party are processing up Gilmore Place to waving and cheering crowds, thieves were rifling through their rooms in the NB hotel (I think), and making away with their jewells........

Thanks S.a.m thats the one.

""good old Hibs" was on almost everyones lips". Made me smile wonder if that would be resurrected if/when we win it again?

"following the example of [Hearts] ...bringing the cup back to Edinburgh... was most popular with all sections of the community" - interesting comment.