PDA

View Full Version : Funding the stand - supporters

hibhib7
08-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Looking for ideas how the fans could help in funding the stand, allowing the work to be brought forward? I was thinking along the lines of making either a one-off donation or a monthly direct debit to get a name-plate on a seat and maybe getting priority to purchase a season-ticket there.

Don't know if this would work but it might start off getting some better ideas into the frame and give the club an initial sum of money to, at least, get the project started.

Hibee87
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Looking for ideas how the fans could help in funding the stand, allowing the work to be brought forward? I was thinking along the lines of making either a one-off donation or a monthly direct debit to get a name-plate on a seat and maybe getting priority to purchase a season-ticket there.

Don't know if this would work but it might start off getting some better ideas into the frame and give the club an initial sum of money to, at least, get the project started.

Get a protest to have Sir Tom invest some of his 110 million pound fortune on it :devil:

scott7_0(Prague)
08-10-2009, 01:55 PM

I think selling Stokes or Deek in a year would be a more realistic option. :agree:

MSK
08-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Don't know if this would work but it might start off getting some better ideas into the frame and give the club an initial sum of money to, at least, get the project started.Was there not talk about a buy a brick scheme ..?

ancient hibee
08-10-2009, 01:59 PM
How about filling it at every home match once built.

scott7_0(Prague)
08-10-2009, 02:02 PM
How about filling it at every home match once built.

Here is another idea, how about filling the current stadium so we can generate the cash.... :greengrin

Andy74
08-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Here is another idea, how about filling the current stadium so we can generate the cash.... :greengrin

Exactly. There's about 5,000 seats every week that aren't used.

5,000 x £22 = £110,000 x 19 = £2.1m.

A good start.

bobbyhibs1983
08-10-2009, 02:11 PM
I think the build the east stand was dicussed heavily on the agm nots thread but i tend to agree that we should try fill the current stadium 1st route but it was mentioned somewhere that it was a possiablity to built new loo's in the east cos im sure everyone agree thats maybe the biggest problem just now with regards the east?

well its my biggest problem with the east

MB62
08-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Exactly. There's about 5,000 seats every week that aren't used.

5,000 x £22 = £110,000 x 19 = £2.1m.

A good start.

Any suggestions on how to do that?

andyhibs
08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
How about filling it at every home match once built. if i remember, hunbrox were only getting7-8 thousand at games and david murray had the vision back then , if you built a decent and comfortable stadium, then that would encourage more fans to attend, which in that aspect he was right.:rolleyes:

Jack
08-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Get a protest to have Sir Tom invest some of his 110 million pound fortune on it :devil:

I wish he would too, however.

I suspect STFs fortune, is locked up in various places the same as most other folks money.

Would you expect every Hibby to liquidate, say 5% of their assets to fund the stand?

5% of their house value? 5% of their pension fund? 5% of everything else they own?

How easy would it be for you to put together £10-20,000 for the new stand? :cool2:

Not easy, me neither, and STF is probably pretty much the same! Particularly in the current financial climate! :bitchy:

And anyway, we’re a football club not a charity. :agree:

hibhib7
08-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I wish he would too, however.

I suspect STFs fortune, is locked up in various places the same as most other folks money.

Would you expect every Hibby to liquidate, say 5% of their assets to fund the stand?

5% of their house value? 5% of their pension fund? 5% of everything else they own?

How easy would it be for you to put together £10-20,000 for the new stand? :cool2:

Not easy, me neither, and STF is probably pretty much the same! Particularly in the current financial climate! :bitchy:

And anyway, we’re a football club not a charity. :agree:

I didn't suggest we fund the new stand, only contribute to it, eg 5000 x £100 is half-a-million quid. I'm only asking for suggestions, folks, and dragging people in off the street doesn't seem feasible to me.

jgl07
08-10-2009, 03:06 PM
if i remember, hunbrox were only getting7-8 thousand at games and david murray had the vision back then , if you built a decent and comfortable stadium, then that would encourage more fans to attend, which in that aspect he was right.:rolleyes:
It was NOTHING to do with David Murray.

Murray came to Ibrox after most of the work was completed and two years or so after Souness arrived.

It was Rangers' previous chairman who deserves the credit for rebuilding Ibrox.

You could also add in Fergus McCann at Celtic.

He took over when they were averaging 10,000 at Parkhead (7,000 when the boycott was in operation). He proceeded with a plan to build a 60,000 seater stadium. He then conducted a marketing campaign to fill it.

McCann introduced part season ticket packages covering around half the matches including Rangers, Hibs, Aberdeen, etc to appeal to supporters in Ireland or England who could not make every match. Hibs could learn something from that approach.

At the peak during Mowbray's time at Easter Road even through the crowds were short of capacity the only seats available were in the East (plus the South for Category B matches). Most of the available seats in the East were 'restricted view' (well all of them are as far as I am concerned!).

A successful Hibs side would outgrow the current Easter Road.

The negativity of many on here is really depressing.

Peevemor
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Murray came to Ibrox after most of the work was completed and two years or so after Souness arrived.

He took over when they were averaging 10,000 at Parkhead (7,000 when the boycott was in operation). He proceeded with a plan to build a 60,000 seater stadium. He then conducted a marketing campaign to fill it.

McCann introduced part season ticket packages covering around half the matches including Rangers, Hibs, Aberdeen, etc to appeal to supporters in Ireland or England who could not make every match. Hibs could learn something from that approach.

At the peak during Mowbray's time at Easter Road even through the crowds were short of capacity the only seats available were in the East (plus the South for Category B matches). Most of the available seats in the East were 'restricted view' (well all of them are as far as I am concerned!).

Mostly correct but a couple of points.

Celtic have never averaged as low as 10,000 in the last 30 years.

Murray at Ibrox added the top tier (club deck) to the main stand, filled in the corners and lowered the pitch to add extra rows at the front of the stand, adding a total of around 9-10,000 to the capacity.

kennyh
08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
When the club do go for it I would be up for making a one off contribution of ~ £100. I do not have a season book or go every week so a name on a seat is of no use to me but I would like something like a name plaque somewhere at the LSS with the names of all who contributed.

It could be that only a few hundred fans contribute but even if they did it would still be £20K less that Rod would need to find and I would imagine there would be a hell of a lot more willing to put in something like £100 than 200 fellow Hibees.

Can anyone remember how many people actually became shareholders when the opportunity arose in the late 80's. I was a student back then and went halfers with a pal and still have my Certificate. That cost me £120 I think. I am sure there were several thousand who parted with their cash.

In the 90's we made sure Mercer failed and we have grown from there and now is the time to make our ground the best outside of Glasgow and something the next generation of fans can benefit from.

It's our club and every fund raising angle should be explored no matter how trivial it appears.

KennyH

jgl07
08-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Mostly correct but a couple of points.

Celtic have never averaged as low as 10,000 in the last 30 years.

Murray at Ibrox added the top tier (club deck) to the main stand, filled in the corners and lowered the pitch to add extra rows at the front of the stand, adding a total of around 9-10,000 to the capacity.
I agree but that was what they were getting during the death throws of the Kelly regime. I think they even had a crowd of 8,000 after the McCann takeover. Two home matches a season against Rangers boosted their average crowds somewhat.

They had poor crowds of around 25,000 (excluding OF matches) in the following season at Hampden if I remember correctly.

McCann could have take the view that 35,000 would be enough for Celtic and gone with a modest rebuild. He took a positive view put in his own money and did remarkably well out of the deal.

jgl07
08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
When the club do go for it I would be up for making a one off contribution of ~ £100. I do not have a season book or go every week so a name on a seat is of no use to me but I would like something like a name plaque somewhere at the LSS with the names of all who contributed.

It could be that only a few hundred fans contribute but even if they did it would still be £20K less that Rod would need to find and I would imagine there would be a hell of a lot more willing to put in something like £100 than 200 fellow Hibees.
We went through all this in the mid-1990s. There was an appeal for fund to rebuild the North and South Stands. The money was collected and was not used for the rebuilding. Tom Farmer decided against using it to part fund the work.

I don't know what happened to the cash in the end.

Eventually a plaque was put up in the Famous Five stand listing the contributors.

Peevemor
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
We went through all this in the mid-1990s. There was an appeal for fund to rebuild the North and South Stands. The money was collected and was not used for the rebuilding. Tom Farmer decided against using it to part fund the work.

I don't know what happened to the cash in the end.

Eventually a plaque was put up in the Famous Five stand listing the contributors.

Moustache wax. :agree:

cwilliamson85
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Screw this getting the fans to pay for it. Get sponsors to pay for it! There are talks on here about Adidas coming in and being shirt sponsors etc. Why not sell the plans we have to build the new east and get Adidas to pay for the new stand.

We have the FF stand. Whyte and MacKay stand West stand why not have the Adidas east Terrison?

archiebald
08-10-2009, 03:49 PM
it was then :blah::blah::blah: and is now all :blah::blah::blah: :bye:

HFC 0-7
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Its not negativity, its logic. Right now money is low to everyone, supporters and the club. If you think a succesful team would outgrow easter road then you may be right. But to get a successful team you need to spend money on players and hope that it comes off. If we were to build the stand and keep investing in the team, to produce a side that would sell out a new easter road it would plunge the club into debt. The problem with throwing money and the side is that there is no guarantee it will happen on the pitch, we could get horsed out of every cup early and finish in the bottom 6. Then we will be left with a stadium that is almost empty a mediocore side and lots and lots of debt.

If the east stand was empty and people were furious about it and boycotting games because of it then the club would act. People are still going. The club is being run responsibly, trying to work within their means!

hibhib7
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Screw this getting the fans to pay for it. Get sponsors to pay for it! There are talks on here about Adidas coming in and being shirt sponsors etc. Why not sell the plans we have to build the new east and get Adidas to pay for the new stand.

We have the FF stand. Whyte and MacKay stand West stand why not have the Adidas east Terrison?'Get sponsors to pay for it' - even better. I hope this thread can throw up more suggestions because we need to get this stand built, and the ground completed, soon. Otherwise it will never be built.

cwilliamson85
08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
'Get sponsors to pay for it' - even better. I hope this thread can throw up more suggestions because we need to get this stand built, and the ground completed, soon. Otherwise it will never be built.

Before people jump down my throat over the whole ER must stay ER! I totally agree ER will neer be lost but who really cares about what stands are called!

crash
08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
The SRU raised the money for Murrayfield (£50M) through a debenture scheme. Surely we can raise £5M with a similar idea, buy a seat for 5,10,20 years?

Green_one
08-10-2009, 05:16 PM
The SRU raised the money for Murrayfield (£50M) through a debenture scheme. Surely we can raise £5M with a similar idea, buy a seat for 5,10,20 years?

Not sure we should be using the SRU as a model given the fiscal mess they are in.

Bottom line is this

1. We cannot fill the present stadium and adding more seats will largely be empty seats - net position - negative
2. Knocking down a stand impacts that years revenue
3. Fans contributing money makes no real difference. Even if half the season ticket holders gave £100 each (v unlikley) that would only be £1/2M and would not be the basis for going ahead with the project - would not even be 10% of total cost.

Selling a player is the best bet. However there is no-one on Hibs books at present thats worth real money. We sold them all. Added to the fact that we seem to have to sell players just to stay still we need more than one big sale.

PedroEdin84
08-10-2009, 05:29 PM
We would all love a new stand but its just not the time to be doing it. I think one possibilty is that when STF sells up to someone that the new owner would build it. Might be a while but there is no need just now. Def needs a refurb tho and thats happening in the next few months.

One good idea that has already been mentioned would be to sell shares to people for a reasonalble amount say £50 minimum. Im sure this would attract a lot of interest but could you imagine the AGM! You would need to have the tables set out on the pitch and the floodlights on! Just not realistic. Would also cost HFC more money on printing the accounts and sending them out than the initial investment!

Anyway lets gets our side winning on the park and more people paying each week and take it from there!

andyhibs
08-10-2009, 05:31 PM

ok , maybee wrong , or i am wrong, but speculate to accumulate :greengrin

ancient hibee
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Don't forget that at Murrayfield your debenture only gives you the right to pay the full price for your own seat at every match.

Cropley10
08-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Don't forget that at Murrayfield your debenture only gives you the right to pay the full price for your own seat at every match.

Incredible isn't it!

Criswell
08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
When the North and South stands were being built the club did appeal for supporters to make a contribution. I think it was called the Hibs 100 campaign because they wanted a minimum donation of £100. I duly stuck in a 100 for myself and a 100 in my wife's name and our names went upon the board. I was happy to contribute then and would probably do so again if asked.

The interesting thing I remember from that time was how involved STF was in the project. I remember attending a fans forum type meeting with the then chairman Dougie Cromb. He said that the club had only envisaged building basic stands, but that STF had decided that it would make more business sense to create a facility that could be used on other than just football occasions.

That is why the FF stand has the high quality lounges/function suites etc.

It seems a shame that his involvement with the club now seems to down to the barest minimum.

Jonnyboy
08-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Not sure we should be using the SRU as a model given the fiscal mess they are in.

Bottom line is this

1. We cannot fill the present stadium and adding more seats will largely be empty seats - net position - negative
3. Fans contributing money makes no real difference. Even if half the season ticket holders gave £100 each (v unlikley) that would only be £1/2M and would not be the basis for going ahead with the project - would not even be 10% of total cost.

Selling a player is the best bet. However there is no-one on Hibs books at present thats worth real money. We sold them all. Added to the fact that we seem to have to sell players just to stay still we need more than one big sale.

Not sure I agree with that

matty_f
08-10-2009, 10:49 PM

:thumbsup:

07 prices, good team on the pitch playing some good football... what's stopping folk!?:greengrin

jabis
08-10-2009, 11:09 PM

Bottom line is this

1. ok
2. no it won't(see 1.)
3. imagine the mouser going "The Fans are paying 10%"

AS for the last paragraph
I refer you to the end of THIS season,when THIS board is full of "He'll be off for 2 Mill"

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-10-2009, 02:00 PM
There is a point about the amout of fans that use the east stand. For the United game it was about 3/4 full but there was plenty room in the south top tier for anyone that would think that for £22 you deserve better facilities. For the bigger games when tickets are scarce[?] I would say that anywhere in the ground amongst home fans is adequate. If I can watch a competitive team, that is all that matters to me.

basehibby
09-10-2009, 02:17 PM
'Get sponsors to pay for it' - even better. I hope this thread can throw up more suggestions because we need to get this stand built, and the ground completed, soon. Otherwise it will never be built.

:top marksSponsors would be the best way to generate extra revenue for a stand - The best way the fans can contribute is by going to the games and buying the merchandise - ie filling the current stadium. If you already do that then dragging someone else along might help - especially if Yogi continues sprinkling his magic dust and we have a good season - that way they might even want to come back!
If you live away and still want to contribute there's things like the ERIN Trust (other schemes like buying STs for the underprivalledged would be a good idea too).

lEXO
09-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Any suggestions on how to do that?
Aye, how about making it£20 for an adult and£5 for under 14s,£10 for under 16s for cat b games.Mybe get crowds up for our support and away supporters.It,s expensive watching games home and away, but a good away support will maybe lift the atmosphere ar ER as well,cos lets face it, apart from the "uber fans in the east" the atmosphere is pretty ***** if we,re no playing the grunts or bigots.

rabcp1
09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
How about doing something like this?

http://www.theoffside.com/leagues/bundesliga/lukas-podolski-gets-a-million-dollar-homepage.html

Jonnyboy
09-10-2009, 07:19 PM
How about doing something like this?

http://www.theoffside.com/leagues/bundesliga/lukas-podolski-gets-a-million-dollar-homepage.html

Ah Lukas Podolski, the Derek Riordan of the Bundesliga :greengrin

I watch Podolski play for Cologne against Wolfsburg in the season that Cologne were relegated and he reminded me so much of Deeks it was scary. Dodgy barnet and not the hardest worker on the pitch but boy he could score goals and the fans loved him for it.

The following season Podolski was at Bayern but not really getting regular starts. The Bundesliga OF equivalent had bought the best player of an opposing team and then not given him enough playing time. Podolski became a reguular benchwarmer and is now either back or heading back to Cologne.

Sounds like such a familiar story :greengrin

RickyS
09-10-2009, 08:20 PM

isn't the delay down to the high price of steel etc? its not down to cash, if the steel cost was the same as it was 1-2 years ago it would be going ahead?
all that means is that either us or a sponsor would be paying twice what we should be for the privilige?
im an east veteran and yeah its badly run down, but i for one would be happy with a few quid spend on minor improvements and leave it the way it is until steel costs come down to normal?

crash
10-10-2009, 12:43 PM
isn't the delay down to the high price of steel etc? its not down to cash, if the steel cost was the same as it was 1-2 years ago it would be going ahead?all that means is that either us or a sponsor would be paying twice what we should be for the privilige? i for one would be happy with a few quid spend on minor improvements and leave it the way it is until steel costs come down to normal?

:confused: Steel is 40% cheaper than it was 1-2 years ago, so don't understand what you are on about?