PDA

View Full Version : NHC Peter Lawwell talking again

yekimevol
08-10-2009, 09:47 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8296085.stm

How could this man not have realized after the clubs that where relegated form the english premier league last season that the old firm would end up in league one. He says "There are only two teams that can win the league," after seven games we are only three points behind you, motherwell and dundee utd are only four points. The so called Big two are dying:agree: and can see that even a relegated team in the english premier get's sixty million. When a new manager comes in you game them a bit of money to bring in players eg us this season miller, stokes ect celitc fox (not a good left back) and Fortune i'll take stokes anyday and thats it except for the china captain who plays in midfield so won't get a game over brown and co. Now i can't wait for the end of season league postions hope the were on top and the old firm are left fighting for the scraps:thumbsup:

Steve-O
08-10-2009, 09:51 AM
How BORING is this pish getting?! :blah::blah::blah::yawn::yawn:

Hibernian Verse
08-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I think it's a good thing that they're pushing to get out :agree: The more coverage the better, no matter how boring it may be.

givescotlandfreedom
08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
The funny thing is that this tosser doesn't realise is only a couple of teams can win the EPL. Celtc would be mediocre at best.

MyJo
08-10-2009, 10:06 AM
The sooner they both ****** off to anywhere else that is willing to have them the better. A cancer on scottish football that will certainly not be missed by me.

Keith_M
08-10-2009, 10:08 AM
They come out with the same old p*sh regularly.

Just do what I do, treat him the same as the old p*ss*d guy that tries to speak to you in the pub (there's always one), just say "Aye right pal" and keep walking.

Barney McGrew
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
"Only two teams can win it"

Exactly the same as the EPL Peter, and that will remain the same even if your sectarian riddled institution and it's blue brother ends up down there.

Let's see how many of the GFITW turn up when Celtc are getting pumped by the likes of Bolton and Wigan on a weekly basis.

Joe Baker II
08-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Lawell was trying to make out that Scottish football would be better off if its 2 biggest clubs left for elsewhere - never used to mind him but he was talking a lot of absolute gibberish.

_hucks_
08-10-2009, 10:39 AM
They seem to miss the most important fact that national leagues are organised by geography!!! Rantic play in Glasgow, which, if they did their research, they would discover is in Scotland. At the final analysis, thats the most important thing.

Hibernian Verse
08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
On the subject of geography...worse than Lawwell, I was talking to a 14 year old guy in my school about football and he goes 'I support Celtic' so, naturally, I asked why - 'Because my Dad's half Irish so he supports Celtic seeing as they're really an Irish club'.

I asked, 'how do you figure that out?'

'Well we were founded by Irish priests', me 'by the way you do know some of the founders founded Hibs?'

'No they didn't, I asked my Dad who's Irish so he would know'

:bye: :faf:

Marty-Hibee
08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
On the subject of geography...worse than Lawwell, I was talking to a 14 year old guy in my school about football and he goes 'I support Celtic' so, naturally, I asked why - 'Because my Dad's half Irish so he supports Celtic seeing as they're really an Irish club'.

I asked, 'how do you figure that out?'

'Well we were founded by Irish priests', me 'by the way you do know some of the founders founded Hibs?'

'No they didn't, I asked my Dad who's Irish so he would know'

:bye: :faf:

I know a guy who has the EXACT same mentality, but is only a year younger than me, so you're age in fact. Fair enough, he isn't a glory hunter, was born in Glasgow, season ticket holder etc, but he's still convinced that Hibs had nothing to do with Celtic.

As for Lawell, he's a numpty. Would love to see the OF go down to the EPL, get pumped week in, week out then come grovelling back up here to get there Champions League spots back, but getting knocked back instead:agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Our league set up must be a strange thing. Nothing wrong with it, the season that Celtic get to the final of the UEFA Cup. Nothing wrong with it the year Celtic almost make the last 8. But would you know it, the season that Celtic are dumped out of the CL and are almost out of the Europa league we are back to the " its' everyones elses' fault dictat". I never knew that the Israeli League had so much strength. I wonder if anyone involved with the youth set up at Celtic park reads this tripe about not being able to buy players and by deafult ,buy success. If they did, they must surely wonder what they are doing there.

Mary Hinge
08-10-2009, 11:26 AM
The sooner they both ****** off to anywhere else that is willing to have them the better. A cancer on scottish football that will certainly not be missed by me.

Exactly :agree:

The problem there is that nobody else wants them either :grr:

rubber mal
08-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Our league set up must be a strange thing. Nothing wrong with it, the season that Celtic get to the final of the UEFA Cup. Nothing wrong with it the year Celtic almost make the last 8. But would you know it, the season that Celtic are dumped out of the CL and are almost out of the Europa league we are back to the " its' everyones elses' fault dictat". I never knew that the Israeli League had so much strength. I wonder if anyone involved with the youth set up at Celtic park reads this tripe about not being able to buy players and by deafult ,buy success. If they did, they must surely wonder what they are doing there.

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Why only rantc? Let us all go. Hibs Hearts and Aberdeen, given the same money as they get in England, would be as big if not bigger than Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan and the likes. We would all need bigger grounds if we were playing arsenal and man utd and the likes every second week.

They don't give a toss about the rest of Scottish football, and would probably like a reserve team left in the SPL just in case their wee jaunt to the promised land never worked out as well as they hoped.

Dinkydoo
08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
The OF can GTF for all I could care.

Their bigoted hatred, the mentality that many of thier fans possess and the sports writers that pretend to support other teams when it's been clear for years that they favour either green or blue of Glasgow, can GTF with them.

More money for the rest of the clubs with 3/4 teams a year (maybe changed to 2 if the OF leave) playing in europe each year would certainly bring the fans back to the rest of scottish fitba.

Right Peter I've taken the liberty of packing all the bags, get on the phone to the unwashed and the huns, you don't want to be late for a 3-0 pumping fae Hull....:wink:

hibsbollah
08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
This is the bit that got me;

"If you look at our story and compare it to Manchester United: the beginnings, the triumphs, the tragedies, the characters, they are almost identical.:rolleyes:

So, Man Utd were formed by stealing all Hibs' amateur players by offering them pro contracts, and then trading off a fake republican 'Oirishness' for 120 years then?:bye:

One Day Soon
08-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Not particularly PC on here but my dream (after winning the Scottish Cup) would be a Hibs and Hearts first and second place finish in the SPL. You know what, I'd even take it with Hearts first and us second - I wouldn't like it but I'd live with it.

The sheer joy of displacing those two, getting into the Champions League money and beginning to expose what I regard as the parasitical nature of their relationship to Scottish football and other clubs would be immeasurable.

Scottish football, and now English football, owes them a living according to them.

TheEastTerrace
08-10-2009, 12:13 PM
The move to the EPL is all about money for the OF. Plain and simple. It's got absolutely nothing to do with the good health of the Scottish game and for Peter Lawwell to try and spin it that way is out of order. Is he saying that Celtic and Rangers fans would be happier with mid table mediocrity in the EPL and the odd UEFA cup qualification than winning honours in Scotland? I can think of at least six EPL clubs that still would be stronger than the OF even if they had substantially increased income from participation in the league.

Also, I see nowhere that he mentions that if the OF left, Scottish football would see a severly reduced TV deal, less sponsorship and commercial deals, and decreasing ticket income from the absence of fixtures against the great unwashed. I hate the OF as much as the next person, but if they uprooted and left, we might be left with a competitive league but a lack of revenue streams into the game that would affect the SPL clubs' ability to pay transfer fees and wages that would attract a good standard of player or invest in youth development. Luckily for Hibs, we have some of this in place.

Either way, the sooner the outcome of this nonsense is decided once and for all, the sooner we can get on with trying to improve the health of the Scottish game and producing players capable of helping the national team qualify for majour tournaments again.....something that the erstwhile Mr Lawwell mentions nowhere in this interview. Good of the Scottish game in mind my erse! :grr:

Kato
08-10-2009, 12:16 PM

"If you look at our story and compare it to Manchester United: the beginnings, the triumphs, the tragedies, the characters, they are almost identical.:rolleyes:

What tragedies?

and..

What a loony.

What League in the World would voluntarily accept that lot into the fold?

Barney McGrew
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
If the OF do end up down there, I think it would be a watershed for football all over Europe to be honest.

They still need CL football, which they're not going to get down there and the G14 (or whatever number they are up to now) have been pushing for a european league where they have even more power than they currently enjoy for ages. The OF plying outwith their 'own' country would give them an opportunity to tip the balance even further. We may well then see some other smaller leagues with big fish in them (France/Holland etc.) decide they want to do something similar.

All the big clubs are interested in is TV revenue, sponsorship money and merchandising rights. Like it or not, the gruesome twosome are a big market for that.

OtterHibee
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
The move to the EPL is all about money for the OF. Plain and simple. It's got absolutely nothing to do with the good health of the Scottish game and for Peter Lawwell to try and spin it that way is out of order. Is he saying that Celtic and Rangers fans would be happier with mid table mediocrity in the EPL and the odd UEFA cup qualification than winning honours in Scotland? I can think of at least six EPL clubs that still would be stronger than the OF even if they had substantially increased income from participation in the league.

Also, I see nowhere that he mentions that if the OF left, Scottish football would see a severly reduced TV deal, less sponsorship and commercial deals, and decreasing ticket income from the absence of fixtures against the great unwashed. I hate the OF as much as the next person, but if they uprooted and left, we might be left with a competitive league but a lack of revenue streams into the game that would affect the SPL clubs' ability to pay transfer fees and wages that would attract a good standard of player or invest in youth development. Luckily for Hibs, we have some of this in place.

Either way, the sooner the outcome of this nonsense is decided once and for all, the sooner we can get on with trying to improve the health of the Scottish game and producing players capable of helping the national team qualify for majour tournaments again.....something that the erstwhile Mr Lawwell mentions nowhere in this interview. Good of the Scottish game in mind my erse! :grr:

:agree:

Surely there's an "Out His Erse" missing from the thread title :cool2:

Ozyhibby
08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
If Rangers and Celtic get into the english league then ther will be no option but for us, Hearts and aberdeen to go with them. Staying in a devalued spl would be a disaster for Hibs. I think this will happen soon to be honest. Legally the arguments for keeping them out are thin to the effect that the old firm could argue that the EPL were operating a cartel. Ironic I know but it would be hard to argue against it in court. They are both british companies who are being denied access to the full british market by other companies who do not want the extra competition. A British league followed by a European League is inevitable IMHO.

MrSmith
08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Let's be honest, it's not the big clubs wanting to leave, it's the owners of these clubs chasing the ££ signs.

I really dont think real and I'll say again real Rangers and Celtic fans would be too happy if there respective clubs left for the EPL? It would invariably cost them an arm and a leg to go see their team while losing all social and community ties associated with the clubs. Sense of Identity.

Maybe some questions we need to ask ourselves:

How did we get to this position in Scottish Football?
How come we were once the envy of world football now just reduced to pond ****?
What happened to all the talent? (Scottish born and bred footballers not birds!)
Do we need superstar signings?
Team of homegrown or money wasters?
Where do we go from here?

All of Scotland footballing teams have a social resposibility to their fans and the health of the game - how do we make this right again?

I envy the guys on here who saw the 50's & 60's teams playing football in the old divisional set-up!

I'll leave all the questions and thoughts for all to ponder upon...

banarc7062
08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
This bit...."We need someone to want us." Well I for one certainly don't want them. Get tae F***:bitchy:

crewetollhibee
08-10-2009, 01:35 PM
That lot have spent their entire history cherry picking players from other Scottish clubs; any player who scores a single goal against them is fair game. If they were really serious about wanting a more competitive SPL then they should agree an embargo whereby they didn't sign any players from other Scottish clubs.

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I can't believe that they're still trying to flog this dead horse. It has always smacked of utter desperation, but now it's so bad that even Lawell's cheerleaders in the Scottish sporting press are backing away.

The real reason for this latest outburst is that there will be no automatic slots for Scottish clubs in the CL group stages in the future. This means a bunch of fatty's just off the beach will need to sing for their supper in the pre-season against hungrier, fitter and more disciplined Europeans - and we know how that generally ends up.

So no CL dosh for the OF, nor the oxygen of publicity through broadcast that such games proffer. Watch out for a marked decline in the global marketability of those goons to the satalitte consumers! You won't be seeing Rantic strips next Real, Barca and EPL ones in resorts after a couple of years of no CL group games. Tough one.

Sorry Peter, but the EPL big guns are too busy trying to keep their own noses into their gravy train without allowing some unwashed weedgie tinkers with an overinflated sense of themselves to pushtheir snouts in the through.

So man up and grow a set and stop looking for others to be your salvation. You don't hear the Dutch moaning about those nasty Germans not letting them into the Bundesliga, do you?

ancient hibee
08-10-2009, 02:02 PM
The OF annual income is already higher than most of the EPL-fat lot of good it's done them.

JackRegan
08-10-2009, 02:19 PM
That lot have spent their entire history cherry picking players from other Scottish clubs; any player who scores a single goal against them is fair game. If they were really serious about wanting a more competitive SPL then they should agree an embargo whereby they didn't sign any players from other Scottish clubs.

Not strictly true, most of our "legends" were home grown players and the more recent "legends" have come from abroad or England.

That said, I have been on record on here stating how much I despise Peter Lawwell and this blurb from him re-inforces that view.

If Celtic were to join the EPL, the Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and DUndee United should follow suit, as another poster says, they are all clubs, who with the inflated TV money on offer, would be far bigger than many of the clubs who play or have played in the EPL.

JackRegan
08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
The OF annual income is already higher than most of the EPL-fat lot of good it's done them.

Don't confuse income with profit. :wink:

crewetollhibee
08-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Not strictly true, most of our "legends" were home grown players and the more recent "legends" have come from abroad or England.

That said, I have been on record on here stating how much I despise Peter Lawwell and this blurb from him re-inforces that view.

If Celtic were to join the EPL, the Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and DUndee United should follow suit, as another poster says, they are all clubs, who with the inflated TV money on offer, would be far bigger than many of the clubs who play or have played in the EPL.
Sorry mate your post makes no sense to me. I never mentioned 'legends', ours or theirs. I'm sure every major club outwith the OF could recite at least 4 or 5 players in the last 10 years or so who would have made their club (and therefore the SPL) a lot stronger if the chequebook hadn't been waved by the gruesome twosome. GGTTH.

TheEastTerrace
08-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I can't believe that they're still trying to flog this dead horse. It has always smacked of utter desperation, but now it's so bad that even Lawell's cheerleaders in the Scottish sporting press are backing away.

The real reason for this latest outburst is that there will be no automatic slots for Scottish clubs in the CL group stages in the future. This means a bunch of fatty's just off the beach will need to sing for their supper in the pre-season against hungrier, fitter and more disciplined Europeans - and we know how that generally ends up.

So no CL dosh for the OF, nor the oxygen of publicity through broadcast that such games proffer. Watch out for a marked decline in the global marketability of those goons to the satalitte consumers! You won't be seeing Rantic strips next Real, Barca and EPL ones in resorts after a couple of years of no CL group games. Tough one.

Sorry Peter, but the EPL big guns are too busy trying to keep their own noses into their gravy train without allowing some unwashed weedgie tinkers with an overinflated sense of themselves to pushtheir snouts in the through.

So man up and grow a set and stop looking for others to be your salvation. You don't hear the Dutch moaning about those nasty Germans not letting them into the Bundesliga, do you?

Good point DBS. The efforts of Scottish football clubs in Europe this season, the Rangers performance in Stuttgart excepted, have been nothing short of embarrassing and shoddy so wouldn't surprise me if Scotland's top two have to qualify for the UCL group stages in the not too distant future. Given Platini's move to make the final qualifying stages of the UCL unseeded as well, the OF may find themselves finding it more and more difficult to join the UCL gravy train. Rangers in particular will be on a sticky wicket financially if that comes to pass so perhaps Lawwell's financial prudence at Celtic isn't such a bad strategy despite what some of GFITW think

lEXO
08-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Why dont the rest of the spl clubs do what they done before.Tell them they are leaving to form their own league, give whatever notice to quit thats required.Inform FIFA and UEFA that this is in part to stamp out sectarianism etc and leave these bigots to join the Irish league, where i,m sure they will be welcome.Then they can blame their teams for their failures.
Sooner they **** off the better.Teams like us, the yams,utd aberdeen and smaller clubs might prosper in a more open league.It might make it a bit more entertaining.Lets face it some of the English premier league games that dont involve the big 4 or 5 are pish.Bolton v wigan? Bigger than the edinburgh derby? No way.Competition will raise crowds and entertainment and hopefully more sponsorship that will be shared equally amongst all clubs,not a bigger share for the bigot bros.
Some people might miss the big games against them initially, but long term will you miss the usual sash,billy boys,derry,s walls, ploughboy, oo aah up the rah,boys of the old brigade?Will i ****, and hopefully a generation will grow up not having to listen to this **** at ER.

lEXO
08-10-2009, 03:41 PM

No one mentioned legends.In recent years think along the lines of Mcdonald,Brown,Killin,Flood,Wilson,polish keeper from utd(cannae be arsed spelling it)riordan,agathe,as well as the other players you,ve tried to unsettle and sign on the cheap.Good old Rod Petrie for getting as much cash from you and that other lot in Govan.In Rod we trust

Joe Baker II
08-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Actually if you followed European football you would know that some of the bigger Dutch teams playing in Bundesliga is frequently raised. So "moaning" on this topic as you describe it (unfairly in my view but you have a point although disparity of welath is the root problem) is hardly a uniquely Scottish characteristic.

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Actually if you followed European football you would know that some of the bigger Dutch teams playing in Bundesliga is frequently raised. So "moaning" on this topic as you describe it (unfairly in my view but you have a point although disparity of welath is the root problem) is hardly a uniquely Scottish characteristic.

Really? Didn't know about this and happy to stand corrected.

Don't think I described moaning as a uniquely Scottish characteristic, just making the point that the OF do more than their fair share of it.

ancient hibee
08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Don't confuse income with profit. :wink:

I'm not-which was exactly my point-2 poorly run companies who must deeply regret the income they have wasted.

lapsedhibee
08-10-2009, 06:50 PM

So, Man Utd were formed by stealing all Hibs' amateur players by offering them pro contracts, and then trading off a fake republican 'Oirishness' for 120 years then?:bye:

See Celtc and ManUre, they're like two completely dissimilar things in a pod.
Firstly, both had legendary managers - Stein and Busby - who were raised in Scottish mining communities, and also, er .... er .... that's it. :dunno:

NAE NOOKIE
08-10-2009, 09:32 PM
The problem with the OF bu**ering of to England is this:

It is hard enough to persuade kids not to be seduced by the OF hype as thing are now.

I'm sorry to say it but if they end up in the EPL playing Aresenal. Man Utd, Chelsea etc etc where will be the incentive for kids to follow an SPL club in the years that follow. It will be the OF all the way, the Scottish game will die and you wont be able to move for folk wearing OF tops whenever you leave the house.

If they go to Engerland then what has to follow is a drastic restructuring of British football, with the other 10 SPL clubs and whatever bones can be picked out of the 1st division looking to get into whatever structure is left beneath EPL 1 and 2.

I used to laugh at the thought of the OF going to England, but if the EPL accept the idea of EPL 1 and 2 then the greedy bag men who run the game down there might just go for it.

It doesn't matter if all of the supporters who follow Scottish clubs just now say good riddance. Its who will support Scottish football in the future that counts and I cant see a bright future for us if we dont do something.

JackRegan
09-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm not-which was exactly my point-2 poorly run companies who must deeply regret the income they have wasted.

Celtic are many things, but one thing we are not - is a poorly run company.

Kato
09-10-2009, 12:20 PM

Sorry but you must be as you've managed your ambitions according to your environment.

Jonnyboy
09-10-2009, 12:22 PM

So, no debt then?

TheEastTerrace
09-10-2009, 12:25 PM

To be fair to Celtic, they are actually run pretty well and have reduced their debt levels considerably in the last few years. I'm sure the UCL gravy train has helped considerably there.

Rangers on the other hand are deep in debt and are struggling to attract investment to buy out Murray. They are not an attractive proposition anymore for business investment and IMO will only be bailed out by someone with a Rangers connection and some deep pockets. No sympathies here though, they made their bed and they can lie in it. :grr:

Bishop Hibee
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM

The only "tragedy" is that they never went bust before McCann took over.

Their "story" is a half-truth filled one sided misty eyed aberration.

Those in charge simply want their greedy hands on the Premiership cash.

OFGTF!

JackRegan
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
So, no debt then?

Even good companies have debt. Its all about ratios to assets and Turnover and the king - cashflow.

£12m loan to be repaid over ten years.
£10m cash in bank

Plus an unused £12m overdraught facility.

Better run than Rangers. :wink: ANd your city chums. :agree:

blackhibee
09-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Surely if the system was applied fairly in England, and the OF were allowed to join the English leagues, they would surely run at a loss for at least 3 years if they have to start in the bottom league as every other club has to. Or is football in the UK so corrupt that they are going to allow 2 teams who have never played in the English league to automatically join the premiership, just because the 2 teams themselves fancy a change of scenery? Bearing in mind the debts Rangers supposedly have just now, they must surely be gambling on the rules that apply to every team in England being waived, just for the 2 of them. Sounds daft to me...