PDA

View Full Version : NHC Steven Ireland's view on International Football

Winston Ingram
07-10-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Stephen-Ireland-exclusive-I-will-NEVER-play-for-arrogant-Trapattoni-even-if-Ireland-make-the-2010-World-Cup-article182069.html

Can't understand it myself

LancashireHibby
07-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Stubborn so and so, don't know why he doesn't cut his losses and just draw a line under it.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-10-2009, 08:41 PM
seems to be an Irish trait...

Pretty Boy
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Guys an idiot. Lying about his Gran being dead to miss an international game.

Most of us on here would love to play for our national team.

Another footballer with all his brains in his feet.

lEXO
07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
This from a guy who lied about the deaths of his grandmothers for a non appearance for his country.Now he accussess a respected worldwide coach of arrogance.Hope whoever gets his place shows a bit more class and appreciation than this spoilt erse.Shades of Chris Boyd with this story.:bandit:

FRes Hibbie
07-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Completely agree. He really comes across like a huffy wee boy here which is a shame because I think he's a very good footballer. This part was my favourite:

After that we had a chat and, I guess he shouldn't have to sell it to me. But I think he should have made some sort of effort to sell it to me, and he just never really did that.

He should but he shouldn't sell it to him!

It's like he's taken the huff and is trying to condone his stance but just contradicts himself.

Coco Bryce
07-10-2009, 08:59 PM
The guy is a complete t!t :agree:

He wasted £264k on this horrendous thing (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1218054/Touch-class-Footballer-buys-Wag-girlfriend-264-000-pimped-Bentley.html)

Tazio
07-10-2009, 09:12 PM

He wasted £264k on this horrendous thing (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1218054/Touch-class-Footballer-buys-Wag-girlfriend-264-000-pimped-Bentley.html)

Ha! I was just going to post that. Classic example of a not very bright lad from a poor background getting a huge wage.

Too ridiculous a storyline even for Footballers Wives.

Hibercelona
07-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Horrid thing! :bitchy:

jacomo
07-10-2009, 09:19 PM

I'm speechless - that's probably the nastiest modded car I've ever seen.

WindyMiller
07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Comes across as a right little prick.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Stephen-Ireland-exclusive-I-will-NEVER-play-for-arrogant-Trapattoni-even-if-Ireland-make-the-2010-World-Cup-article182069.html

Toaods
07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I take my hat off to him for his honesty - it's sure not what many a loyal 'footsoldier' wants to read but as an individual he doesn't like the overall International routine and therefore has no motivation to play to the best of his ability for it.

It has ot be better to be upfront and withdraw honestly rather than fake a leg strain or flu, etc to wimp out of a game or journey you don't fancy.

To me that's cheating the loyal fans who turn out at considerable expense and even more so the poor sods who get called up to make up the numbers and take a panning for being crap when the team lose. That on top of being dropped like a ton of bricks from the next squad to make way for the tossers that were out on the golf course having fun while you were knocking your pan in.

Football at international level is fantastic for many countries, sadly it's only very rarely for us now.

we couldn't check his history to see if he's got a Scottish Grann...........mibbe not. :greengrin

Shrekko
07-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I think a lot of what he's saying is a smokescreen. I think it's been generally accepted that he was bullied quite badly when he joined the squad at a young age (over his hair loss/hair transplant) and wasnt able to cope with the humiliation. I get the feeling it would be difficult for him to go back now and he's trying to justify it in other ways.

He's a bit of an odd ball right enough but maybe not a Kris Boyd IMO.

Toaods
07-10-2009, 09:23 PM
He's a bit of an odd ball right enough but maybe not a Kris Boyd IMO.

more of an 8-ball...:faf:

lEXO
07-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I take my hat off to him for his honesty - it's sure not what many a loyal 'footsoldier' wants to read but as an individual he doesn't like the overall International routine and therefore has no motivation to play to the best of his ability for it.

It has ot be better to be upfront and withdraw honestly rather than fake a leg strain or flu, etc to wimp out of a game or journey you don't fancy.

To me that's cheating the loyal fans who turn out at considerable expense and even more so the poor sods who get called up to make up the numbers and take a panning for being crap when the team lose. That on top of being dropped like a ton of bricks from the next squad to make way for the tossers that were out on the golf course having fun while you were knocking your pan in.

Football at international level is fantastic for many countries, sadly it's only very rarely for us now.

we couldn't check his history to see if he's got a Scottish Grann...........mibbe not. :greengrin
Sorry but using the words honesty,integrity and gran in this post are wrong.This is the guy who lied about the deaths of his grans to cover up missing a squad.Honesty, integrity, no, more like ****ty.Good player no doubt about that.The guy comes over as a tasteless,selfish knob.

Toaods
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
The guy comes over as a tasteless,selfish knob.

:jamboak:

Hibercelona
07-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Why couldnt he just keep it short, sweet & honest?

"A dinne wintae play fir ma club... now piss aff" :wink:

lEXO
07-10-2009, 09:32 PM
:jamboak:
:asshole:

Aubenas
07-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Shows all the understanding and vision of a 23 year old with no brains, ridiculous money and too much time on his hands. I wonder if it's dawned on him what he owes to the volunteers who trained him when he was a lad growing up, and that he's only a broken bone away from it all ending. Even if you don't pay into being proud to play for your country, does he think spouting this will add to his marketing value????? Mind you, I reckon it's an accurate reflection of where the game is heading - just like motor racing - movable advertising placards.:grr:

Beefster
07-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Guys an idiot. Lying about his Gran being dead to miss an international game.

This from a guy who lied about the deaths of his grandmothers for a non appearance for his country.

It was his girlfriend who originally lied to the FAI about his grandmother dying, after having a miscarriage and not wanting to tell some random at the FAI what had happened. Ireland lied for a while to cover up her lie but I'd have done exactly the same for my girlfriend/wife in the same circumstances, if she wanted me to.

I don't really see what the problem is with a player opting out of international football. Plenty of players do it.

lEXO
07-10-2009, 10:01 PM
It was his girlfriend who originally lied to the FAI about his grandmother dying, after having a miscarriage and not wanting to tell some random at the FAI what had happened. Ireland lied for a while to cover up her lie but I'd have done exactly the same for my girlfriend/wife in the same circumstances, if she wanted me to.

I don't really see what the problem is with a player opting out of international football. Plenty of players do it.
Would it not have been more sensible to tell them he,s pulling out for personal reasons rather than an elaborate lie.I,m sorry but i would,nt make up the death of my grandparents to cover anything up.He handled it poorly regardless of the circumstances.

andyhibsboy
07-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Would it not have been more sensible to tell them he,s pulling out for personal reasons rather than an elaborate lie.I,m sorry but i would,nt make up the death of my grandparents to cover anything up.He handled it poorly regardless of the circumstances.

aye but im pretty sure if you say you want to pull out for personal reasons then the FA of whatever country that you play for are going to want to know the reason - otherwise you would find every tom dick and harry using the same excuse. when you read about a player being out the national team due to 'personal reasons' you can be sure that the FA knows, but cant tell the media because of privacy etc.

therefore, when he was questioned about it he lied - right enough it was a ****in awful lie, a lie most people couldnt bring themselves to conjure up - but he was trying to protect his girlfriend....

i think he is spot on about the general lack of enthusiasm about players wanting to play for their country now - however do you think that if we had a genuinely good squad who had a chance at the WC, there would be a lack of enthusiasm?
i have a theory that clubs, Scottish clubs in particular, put pressure on their players to pull out of the national squad/hold off on surgery until internationals so that they miss less games for the club or aggravate previous injuries.... especially now we havent qualified for the WC

Toaods
07-10-2009, 11:51 PM

you obviously are unaware of the story.

..and the spewing smiley was a jest at your phrase not meant to be taken as meaning you are a Yam or something like that, so apologies if it cam e over like that, but as for giving me the asshole smiley.....:grr:

:greengrin.

Toaods
08-10-2009, 12:01 AM
for those that don't really know the story, here's a decent article on it ....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/features/tonyodonoghue/tony18.html

Onceinawhile
08-10-2009, 12:04 AM
all because his friends took the piss about him being bald.
:agree:

Excellent player though:agree:

Austinho
08-10-2009, 01:01 AM
I'm speechless - that's probably the nastiest modded car I've ever seen.Worse than his other effort?

http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/IrelandPinkRange_800x459(4).jpg

Steve20
08-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I can understand it. The guy doesn't want to play International football. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Aubenas
08-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Lawrie Reilly says it all

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Reilly-39Only-two-broken-legs.5714316.jp

I wonder if supporters will have the respect and affection for this fud in 50 years time that Lawrie has from Hibs and Scotland fans??????

heretoday
08-10-2009, 08:03 AM
If Ireland repented and asked to be considered for selection by Trap, the Irish fans would tell him to get knotted. He's burnt his boats.

Toaods
08-10-2009, 08:13 AM
If Ireland repented and asked to be considered for selection by Trap, the Irish fans would tell him to get knotted. He's burnt his boats.

what, like Davie Weir, Beckham or the best Ronaldo?

Beefster
08-10-2009, 08:27 AM

As I said, he didn't make up the lie, his girlfriend did. All Ireland was guilty of was backing up his girlfriend because he cared about her and was respecting her wishes. He put his girlfriend before his country's football team - an entirely sensible decision in my opinion.

The entire situation of not wanting to play for Ireland again could have been handled better but I'd imagine that very few people actually know what was behind it and what actually happened.

The guy's being judged harshly because he's highly paid and possibly not the most intelligent man on the planet when it comes to press interviews.

Future17
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I can't really understand it either, but I suppose it's stupid to think that all footballers feel the same about playing in internationals.

Regardless of Ireland's honesty/integrity, I do think he is right about more and more players retiring from internationals in the coming years.

basehibby
08-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Oh the irony! Spoilt wee sheight of an EPL footballer who tells pathetic lies to skive off from representing his own country accuses his manager of arrogance?!?
How he has the brass neck to accuse ANYBODY of arrogance when he obviously puts his own selfish needs way above those of his country is beyond me. The guy obviously doesn't know he's born and I have nothing but contempt for him. :fuming:

basehibby
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
As I said, he didn't make up the lie, his girlfriend did. All Ireland was guilty of was backing up his girlfriend because he cared about her and was respecting her wishes. He put his girlfriend before his country's football team - an entirely sensible decision in my opinion.

The entire situation of not wanting to play for Ireland again could have been handled better but I'd imagine that very few people actually know what was behind it and what actually happened.

The guy's being judged harshly because he's highly paid and possibly not the most intelligent man on the planet when it comes to press interviews.

But I read that he was supposed to have lied about grannies dying TWICE - so what happened the other time then that we should all be feeling sorry for the poor wee diddums???

lEXO
08-10-2009, 03:03 PM
aye but im pretty sure if you say you want to pull out for personal reasons then the FA of whatever country that you play for are going to want to know the reason - otherwise you would find every tom dick and harry using the same excuse. when you read about a player being out the national team due to 'personal reasons' you can be sure that the FA knows, but cant tell the media because of privacy etc.

therefore, when he was questioned about it he lied - right enough it was a ****in awful lie, a lie most people couldnt bring themselves to conjure up - but he was trying to protect his girlfriend....

i think he is spot on about the general lack of enthusiasm about players wanting to play for their country now - however do you think that if we had a genuinely good squad who had a chance at the WC, there would be a lack of enthusiasm?
i have a theory that clubs, Scottish clubs in particular, put pressure on their players to pull out of the national squad/hold off on surgery until internationals so that they miss less games for the club or aggravate previous injuries.... especially now we havent qualified for the WCDid he seriously think that the press would,nt find out that his grannies were still alive? Sorry but using that as an excuse is pretty sick,wether it was him or his girlfriend.

you obviously are unaware of the story.

..and the spewing smiley was a jest at your phrase not meant to be taken as meaning you are a Yam or something like that, so apologies if it cam e over like that, but as for giving me the asshole smiley.....:grr:

:greengrin.
Aye that,s how i took your jamboak smiley.If it was in jest i apologise for the asshole smiley.Now enough of the love in and lets get back to talking *****.:wink:

Beefster
08-10-2009, 06:40 PM
But I read that he was supposed to have lied about grannies dying TWICE - so what happened the other time then that we should all be feeling sorry for the poor wee diddums???

So you're slating the guy without actually knowing the story?

The original lie was discovered by the FAI so, in an attempt to continue protecting his girlfriend, he claimed it was the other grandmother. It was all part of the same situation.

Again, considering that his girlfriend has just lost her and Ireland's child, I think a wee bit understanding might be in order.

mayo hibee
08-10-2009, 11:07 PM
So you're slating the guy without actually knowing the story?

The original lie was discovered by the FAI so, in an attempt to continue protecting his girlfriend, he claimed it was the other grandmother. It was all part of the same situation.

Again, considering that his girlfriend has just lost her and Ireland's child, I think a wee bit understanding might be in order.

But are you sure you know the whole story? Because its generally believed that the bit in bold was actually a third lie, but one that couldn't be proven to be a lie, unlike the other two...

Haymaker
09-10-2009, 12:26 AM
what, like Davie Weir, Beckham or the best Ronaldo?

Beckham? Im pretty sure David Beckham has never quit international football, he gave up the captaincy and was then dropped immediately by steve mclaren but IIRC he never gave up on the national team.

As for Ireland, he has made his bed. I disagree with his view because I would give anything to be a professional player let alone one good enough to represent my country but he has decided he doesnt want to play so what he should do is keep quiet and play for City...

Dashing Bob S
09-10-2009, 02:31 PM
A pity Steven Ireland seems a such lying, socially inadequate nutjob with zero credibility, because he's expressed a view that a lot of people share.

I personally find the 90 minute patriots who think the main (or even sole expression) of your love for your country should be a desire to kick a football around a park for their national side, both misguided and tedious.

lEXO
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
A pity Steven Ireland seems a such lying, socially inadequate nutjob with zero credibility, because he's expressed a view that a lot of people share.

I personally find the 90 minute patriots who think the main (or even sole expression) of your love for your country should be a desire to kick a football around a park for their national side, both misguided and tedious.
It,s not his view on playing for his country that lacks credibility.Thats his choice and good on him if he expressess it.It,s lying about the death of 2 grandparents that are still alive.That was misguided and utterly stupid, whatever the reasons behind it.Does he expect anyone to beleive him or take his words seriously after that?

7Hero
09-10-2009, 02:49 PM

bit harsh bob.

Haymaker
10-10-2009, 12:51 AM

I know you have your views on the international scene and that is fine however pulling on the shirt for your country is IMHO the highest point of a players career. If I was good enough to play football professionally I would find international football as the benchmark, I could play and win everything club wise but being regarded as a regular for my country would be the best.

Beefster
10-10-2009, 07:05 AM
But are you sure you know the whole story? Because its generally believed that the bit in bold was actually a third lie, but one that couldn't be proven to be a lie, unlike the other two...

Either way, he's being judged because some punters have decided he's lying again.

I believe myself to be the reincarnation of Oscar Wilde, Attilla The Hun and Benjamin Franklin. I just can't prove it.

basehibby
10-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Either way, he's being judged because some punters have decided he's lying again.

I believe myself to be the reincarnation of Oscar Wilde, Attilla The Hun and Benjamin Franklin. I just can't prove it.

Dunno about that - I'm judging him on his precious attitude and comments - also his incredible ignorance and stupidity in accusing his manager of arrogance when he's obviously about the best example you could dream up of a spoilt overprivaledged prick.

lEXO
10-10-2009, 11:14 AM

I,m judging him on his previous lies, the interview he gave and the impression i got of him.My views, not anyone elses.

Toaods
10-10-2009, 12:26 PM
pulling on the shirt for your country is IMHO the highest point of a players career. If I was good enough to play football professionally I would find international football as the benchmark, I could play and win everything club wise but being regarded as a regular for my country would be the best.

as you say....you're not a professional football player though are you? :wink:

Sadly, that was always my perception as a lad growing up and following Scotland home and away.....the world loved us and we loved to show them our commitment and endeaviour to attack, now we are simply ****.

Tompo
10-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I think Steven Ireland may well be my current favourite non-hibs player.

Gloriously mental.

crewetollhibee
10-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Hope we are a bit more sympathetic to Deek when he tells Burley to shove it. :devil:

stokesmessiah
10-10-2009, 05:16 PM

Im Not sure what you mean by this post, i just had a look and think thats a really classy purchase. :jamboak: