PDA

View Full Version : The truth about the Old Firm

givescotlandfreedom
07-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Tom English gets it spot on here. Two cheeks of the same arse and only worth watching for the freak aspects of it http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Tom-English-39The-Old-Firm.5709351.jp

Jonnyboy
07-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Tom English gets it spot on here. Two cheeks of the same arse and only worth watching for the freak aspects of it http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Tom-English-39The-Old-Firm.5709351.jp

:agree:

This quote from Alastair Johnston sums it all up really

Asked about the bigotry problem he replied

"Nobody's ever mentioned it to me in any discussions I've had," he said of the bigotry issue. "I really think that's all behind us now."

New faces, same old sheite

Ryan91
07-10-2009, 08:24 PM
This has been coming for some time i feel, finally someone has decided to voice their opinion about the game and its not an opinion on who was the better side and what was exciting as they do in the Red Tops, instead a Journo for a proper paper has decided to voice his opinion about all that goes with them and not just the fixture. A new face has appeared at Rangers and quite obviously has his head so far up his own erse that he isn't able to see whats going on right in front of him. Freak Show indeed!

Tom English - I salute you, as you are the only person so far to have found the cojones to criticise BOTH sides of the manky mob and not just one or the other.

"I think its all behind us now" - Alastair Johnston :no way::asshole:

ginger_rice
07-10-2009, 08:48 PM
One of the best sports articles I've read for many a long year:agree:

jacomo
07-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Tom English has given the Scotsman a fresh voice - long may it continue.

I wish he'd delved deeper into the financial aspects, though. Both clubs have tacitly traded on sectarianism, and now Rangers find that the unpleasant smell it causes is putting off potential buyers.

lEXO
07-10-2009, 08:59 PM
:thumbsup:.loved his quote about scotland getting over losing them.I for one certainly would get over them quite easily.

Mixu62
07-10-2009, 11:44 PM
My favourite bit:

"It's bad enough being as thick as two short planks, but wanting to
broadcast it to the wider world makes it even worse."
:top marks

Keith_M
08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
and this is my personal fave, the best thing I've read in a newspaper for a long time.

"It has been written that the intensity and bile is all part of the grisly appeal of the Old Firm match, that it is these very things that lend the fixture a morbid fascination. I don't buy it. If I want morbid fascination I'll get a DVD of Jim Rose's creepy circus acts and tune into the chick who stays in the large plastic bag while somebody else sucks all of the air out with a vacuum cleaner."

:greengrin

hibs1875aye
08-10-2009, 11:22 AM
and this is my personal fave, the best thing I've read in a newspaper for a long time.

"It has been written that the intensity and bile is all part of the grisly appeal of the Old Firm match, that it is these very things that lend the fixture a morbid fascination. I don't buy it. If I want morbid fascination I'll get a DVD of Jim Rose's creepy circus acts and tune into the chick who stays in the large plastic bag while somebody else sucks all of the air out with a vacuum cleaner."

:greengrin

:thumbsup:

TheEastTerrace
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
This has been coming for some time i feel, finally someone has decided to voice their opinion about the game and its not an opinion on who was the better side and what was exciting as they do in the Red Tops, instead a Journo for a proper paper has decided to voice his opinion about all that goes with them and not just the fixture. A new face has appeared at Rangers and quite obviously has his head so far up his own erse that he isn't able to see whats going on right in front of him. Freak Show indeed!

Tom English - I salute you, as you are the only person so far to have found the cojones to criticise BOTH sides of the manky mob and not just one or the other.

"I think its all behind us now" - Alastair Johnston :no way::asshole:

The Red Tops journos pander to the OF because they know that every now and again someone from Rangers or Celtic will slip them a wee exclusive that they can reveal in their columns.

David Murray has been doing it for years. He has or has had a few journos in his pocket over his tenure there and some of the stories being spun from Greyskull over the years defies belief.

It's refreshing to read Tom English's article there, but I suspect it will fall on deaf ears for those inside the OF piranha bowl. The Scotsman isn't widely read in the West for a start. However, at least someone in the media is voicing the opinion of many non-OF supporters....we simply don't give a f&$k about them.

jacques_b
08-10-2009, 12:28 PM
east coast media conspiracy...

NOLA
08-10-2009, 12:45 PM
great article! though can't see the weedgies taking much notice, after all the scotsman's an edinburgh paper and edinburgh is a rugby town anyway:wink:

puff the dragon
08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Is this the same Tom English who reported on the Celtic vs Hibs match a few years ago at Celtic Caravan Park where Hibs won 3-1.

Think his headline was something like 'Good Day for the Red Hand' - Due to Hibs' NI players and of course the implied Glasgow Rangers getting back in the title race?

banarc7062
08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Brilliant article saying what most fans outside the weegie unwashed say. Bet he wont get any job offers from the ****** speaking out like that to offend the weegie mobs. On the other hand will they be able to understand what he is writing about.:thumbsup:

GreenCastle
08-10-2009, 01:02 PM

Would love the Old Firm to leave Scotland - an exciting Hibs v Dundee United game at the weekend showed we would still be interested in the league if local teams were doing well. :agree:

Old Firm are poison - but the problem is England doesn't need or want them either.

GreenCastle
08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8296085.stm

Interesting last line...

"We need someone to want us...."

maturehibby
08-10-2009, 06:20 PM
A wee question if the old firm do move out will the bigots who are at our club and the big team try and take over the mantle vacated by them ?

Andy74
09-10-2009, 10:41 AM
A wee question if the old firm do move out will the bigots who are at our club and the big team try and take over the mantle vacated by them ?

The cyber space stuff he referred to certainly isn't restricted to the Old Firm. You get some Hibs fans that go that level but the worst I've seen are the Hearts fans who almost to 'man' are unable to discuss football on these comment boards and instead talk about HIV, **** and junkies.

Hibbyradge
09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
It's an ok article.

He sums them up well, but says nothing new.