PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell for Ibrox?

Toaods
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Uncle Tony seems intent on not giving him the dosh , nobody else in Scotland could afford him and the Huns have Old Father Time surely looking at his last season.

Won't be surprised if he's the new Kenny Miller....:greengrin

....just had a thought, it would be like us signing Larry Kingston when his contracts up - the slightest bit of success and your rivals would be spewing.

Dr What If?
07-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Don't know about Ibrox but it does pose the question, who can afford Caldwell? Only really EPL clubs and a few Championship sides I would guess!

Then who would want him? He has had some seriously high profile gaff's - both for Scotland and in CL for Celtic, someone may fancy taking a chance but no one will break the bank for this guy.

Toaods
07-10-2009, 07:40 PM
take a look at the Huns squad....remove Weir, that leaves Boughera and nobody else(maybe Broadfoot at a push)

jacomo
07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Gary Caldwell seems to have a very high opinion of himself.

He's a deeply mediocre defender, without the physique, technique or awareness of the best in his field.

His one saving attribute is that he's reasonably quick to recover from mistakes, but against top-class strikers you aren't given a second chance - as has been pointed out to him time and time again.

Danderhall Hibs
07-10-2009, 07:53 PM
So he might leave Celtc 'cos they won't pay him £20k a week?

How can Rangers afford that?! They've just offered Boyd a pay-cut to about £6k a week!

PC Stamp
07-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Surely even Rangers wouldn't be stupid enough to pay him £19K per week? :hmmm:
In their present financial state I doubt they could afford to even if they were! :greengrin

Edit - great minds DH!

A wee question for you all ......

Who thus far has scored most goals against Celtc in the Champions League?

Is it ........

a) Portugese internationalist Nuno Gomes who has faced Celtc on 4 occasions.

b) English goal machine Wayne Rooney, who like Gomes has also faced Celtc 4 times.

c) Brazilian superstar Kaka with a similar 4 appearances against the Hoots ...... OR

d) Scottish International defender Gary Caldwell?

:wink:

MSK
07-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Uncle Tony seems intent on not giving him the dosh , nobody else in Scotland could afford him and the Huns have Old Father Time surely looking at his last season.

Won't be surprised if he's the new Kenny Miller....:greengrin

....just had a thought, it would be like us signing Larry Kingston when his contracts up - the slightest bit of success and your rivals would be spewing.Larry who ?...surely we would be better signing Paul Daniels ...:confused:

Viva_Palmeiras
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Therein the problem of the "ambitious" scottish player lies.

Can hardly blame the wee lambs for playing for their "boyhood heroes" - we all would (substituting OF for Hibs of course!)

BUT as can be seen they may start playing at youth level, then need to move for 1st team experience. OR they get big money move to OF after shining at non-OF team but typically dont get 1st opportunities (golden generation exception).

EVEN if 1st team experience is there at say 21-24 where does it leave the likes of Brown and Thomson to go when they realise they've won what there is to win and Europe well look at the record inconsistent.

England/Further afield?

Ferguson, Liam Miller, Kenny Miller, Maloney all came back (but to reduced salaries?) and the change to make it opportunties on the bigger stage is gone but its the only gig in town for them.

The moral of your story? IF the OF is the height of your ambition then if you depart these shores only to return later its rarely as good 2nd time round whether you return or cross the divide.

The answer is of course to plump for Hibs and join their quest for the holy grail. Now there's ambition !!! :cool2: :dizzy:

Toaods
07-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I didn't say Rangers would pay him c£20K-a-week.

That's just what he's pitched at Celtic for a new deal, presumably based on Balde/Brown/Boruc but expecting to have it knocked down into some middle ground.

I reckon if the Huns moved for him, he'd be there in a flash.

For all the slagging Caldwell gets (from all quarters including myself) his record in games, success and contracts is very good compared to his fellow countrymen in defence.

BroxburnHibee
07-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Honestly couldn't give a flying one who he ends up with(although I accept I may be in the minority:greengrin)

Whoever ends up wasting thousands of pounds on captain calamitous is welcome to him.

Hibercelona
07-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Can't ever seem him going to Rangers.

Although...

There is 1 other club I know of in the SPL who is quite happy to break the bank for any player..... regardless of their quality or how many times they play a season. :wink:

:brokenyam:

joe breezy
07-10-2009, 09:08 PM
He's hopeless, best he could do would be someone like Notts Forest or Scunthorpe and even then their too big for him, his career should be over, too many major mistakes

Toaods
07-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I confidently predict he'll either remain with one of the Old Firm or be in the English Premiership.:cool2:

Leithenhibby
07-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Honestly couldn't give a flying one who he ends up with(although I accept I may be in the minority:greengrin)

Whoever ends up wasting thousands of pounds on captain calamitous is welcome to him.

Nuff said. :agree:

Leithenhibby
07-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I confidently predict he'll either remain with one of the Old Firm or be in the English Premiership.:cool2:

You got someone on the inside, me thinks :greengrin

Jack
07-10-2009, 10:01 PM
With the stupid money he's taking about in might just find himself without a club when his contract expires.

There was better than him kicking their heels when the window shut last time round.

And I think its going to get worse.

Aldo
08-10-2009, 08:57 AM

IMHO he has found his level and that is in Scotland. Not good enough for the EPL. Maybe mid Championship but the guy has no pace.

He believes his own hype and TBH would be very funny to see him going to the EPL and getting ripped to S&*$£ by some young whipper snapper in the EPL.

TBH couldnt really care but dont like the guy.

So its :bye::bye:Caldwell if Smellic cant find 20 grand a week for him.

Steve-O
08-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Caldwell is big-headed fud. I hope that nobody signs him and he'll be forced to at least half his completely ludicrous wage demands :bye:

Andy.1875
08-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I hope he finds himself without a club when his contract expires.

Cocaine&Caviar
08-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I actually think hes a good player, although prone to errors he does have a lot of good aspects to his game. Enough so that Stoke put a bid in for him in January last year...

He got player of the year last year, has been a good player for Scotland over the last 3 years, and wouldnt be out of place in the bottom half of the Premiership...

wazoo1875
08-10-2009, 09:12 AM
So he might leave Celtc 'cos they won't pay him £20k a week?

How can Rangers afford that?! They've just offered Boyd a pay-cut to about £6k a week!

I've been told that Caldwell has been offered around the same figure to hang around Celtic , don't know how true this is , but i would suggest that Gary Caldwell is worth a lot more to Celtic than 6-8k a week .

Can't see them being able to replace him with someone the same or of a higher quality for that dough .

I know we mock the guy and all that and he did shaft us , but he would stroll it at centre half for us and will do a good job down south for some team in the championship or lower half of the prem .

bingo70
08-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I actually think hes a good player, although prone to errors he does have a lot of good aspects to his game. Enough so that Stoke put a bid in for him in January last year...

He got player of the year last year, has been a good player for Scotland over the last 3 years, and wouldnt be out of place in the bottom half of the Premiership...

would agree with all of that.

Think people get carried away with how good the premiership actually is, plenty of average players have made a career down there.

hibs1875aye
08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
He's living in cloud cookoo land if he thinks he'll get a bolt more than £16.5k a week which I think is what celtic were willing to pay him (he apparently thought he was worth the £17k and wont play for any less). He was a deeply average defender for us and made an arse of more stupid offside attempts than anyone else.

Would be funny if he ended up in some crappy championship team, on less money than celtic offered and his career dive bombed to nowhere....better still, he could get a job as a chief taxi hailer

Barney McGrew
08-10-2009, 12:15 PM
would agree with all of that.

Think people get carried away with how good the premiership actually is, plenty of average players have made a career down there.

Shelton Martis and Ricardo Fuller to name a couple.

Anyhoo, back to Caldwell - I cannae see his wife being too chuffed if he ends up at Ibrox :greengrin

Beefster
08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I understand from a trusted source close to Caldwell that he will be signing a new contact with someone within the next 9 months.

You heard it here first.

Toaods
08-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I understand from a trusted source close to Caldwell that he will be signing a new contact with someone within the next 9 months.

You heard it here first.

did the trusted source close to Caldwell say if I was right ? :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
O'Dea, who is on loan to Reading, is simply a better player. I can see him coming back and Caldwell making a few bob out of a championship side daft enough to sign him.

JackRegan
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Surely even Rangers wouldn't be stupid enough to pay him £19K per week? :hmmm:
In their present financial state I doubt they could afford to even if they were! :greengrin

Edit - great minds DH!

A wee question for you all ......

Who thus far has scored most goals against Celtc in the Champions League?

Is it ........

a) Portugese internationalist Nuno Gomes who has faced Celtc on 4 occasions.

b) English goal machine Wayne Rooney, who like Gomes has also faced Celtc 4 times.

c) Brazilian superstar Kaka with a similar 4 appearances against the Hoots ...... OR

d) Scottish International defender Gary Caldwell?

:wink:

Did admin delete the "thanks to resident tim Jack Regan for this" :wink:

Bayern Bru
08-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Gary Caldwell seems to have a very high opinion of himself.

He's a deeply mediocre defender, without the physique, technique or awareness of the best in his field.

His one saving attribute is that he's reasonably quick to recover from mistakes, but against top-class strikers you aren't given a second chance - as has been pointed out to him time and time again.

Agreed. He's on another planet if he thinks he deserves £20k a week or whatever he's after.

cwilliamson85
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
If Celtic is refusing to pay his wage demands there is no way Rangers will be able to afford him. You will see next summer Rangers will have a clear out of all there over the hill players and trim there squad wildly.

Speedy
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Notts County? Hull?

cwilliamson85
08-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Wolves?

Beefster
08-10-2009, 06:35 PM
did the trusted source close to Caldwell say if I was right ? :greengrin

Naw, he wasn't that specific!

Cocaine&Caviar
08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
take a look at the Huns squad....remove Weir, that leaves Boughera and nobody else(maybe Broadfoot at a push)

Broadfoot is naturally a centre back, as is Papac, they will also have Webster back...

Wouldnt be surprised to see them go for cheap, proven SPL players come the summer such as Barr, Balde or Anderson...

Allant1981
08-10-2009, 11:33 PM
If Hibs could afford it I'd happily take Caldwell back at ER. Not the best defender in the world but certainly not as bad as some people make out, plus he is actually a decent guy to have a conversation with

Captain Trips
08-10-2009, 11:44 PM
**** him and his career, hope he leaves and never hear about him again.

rainman
09-10-2009, 01:21 AM
You have to applaud Gary Caldwell for managing to make a living out of football. There is no position on the pitch that he is suited to. It's like he has talents for a similar sport but just doesn't fit into football.

He's too short for a centre half, too slow for full back. Not mobile enough midfield and he ain't a striker. Yet he's made it to international football and the old firm off the back off his cross field ball to the wingers. :confused:

Gala Foxes
09-10-2009, 04:56 AM
but he still thinks in his own little mind that he can strike 40 yard crossfield passes like a Brazilian

hibs1875aye
09-10-2009, 11:31 AM
You have to applaud Gary Caldwell for managing to make a living out of football. There is no position on the pitch that he is suited to. It's like he has talents for a similar sport but just doesn't fit into football.

He's too short for a centre half, too slow for full back. Not mobile enough midfield and he ain't a striker. Yet he's made it to international football and the old firm off the back off his cross field ball to the wingers. :confused:

:faf:

I'd have less trouble convincing people Uri Geller really did break peoples tellies and bend the crossbar for england than caldwell being a footballer...I don't know what this other sport he's good at is but you can bet yer last pound he demands more money than he's worth for playing it as well