PDA

View Full Version : NHC Shire Shame Bigots

Don Giovanni
07-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I was surprised and disappointed to read that East Stirling were “at the centre of a sectarian storm” following their 3 – 0 defeat to Albion Rovers on Saturday. Apparently “the rogue element were waving rosary beads and chanting taunts of ‘You only sing in the chapel’ and ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’”, according to the Daily Record’s Anthony Haggerty. Article here (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2009/10/07/exclusive-east-stirlingshire-owner-reports-own-fans-after-sectarian-taunts-during-match-86908-21729006/).
Personally I can’t see what all the fuss is about? I don’t find any of these ‘acts of sectarianism’ particularly offensive.
I wondered what fellow .netters thought?
Are the reporters being too sensitive or are the East Stirling supporters involved simply bigots?

[In the interests of fairness and balance the OF derby passed off without any sectarian incidents...]

oldbutdim
07-10-2009, 07:12 PM
A ban for life for a Celtic Fan Without Bus Fare jibe?

Deary me.

If that was to be the yardstick then there will be a lot of life bans from ER I suspect, as well as many other grounds.

:cool2:

nonshinyfinish
07-10-2009, 07:59 PM
‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’

That doesn't scan properly. Hang these ********s now! :grr:

LancashireHibby
07-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Far too much being read in to it. Should every away crowd who has sang "it's just like being in church" to a home support be banned under the same theory?

fife hfc
07-10-2009, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Don Giovanni;2200602]I was surprised and disappointed to read that East Stirling were “at the centre of a sectarian storm” following their 3 – 0 defeat to Albion Rovers on Saturday. Apparently “the rogue element were waving rosary beads and chanting taunts of ‘You only sing in the chapel’ and ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’”, according to the Daily Record’s Anthony Haggerty. Article here (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2009/10/07/exclusive-east-stirlingshire-owner-reports-own-fans-after-sectarian-taunts-during-match-86908-21729006/).

:top marks Think thats a brilliant song.

richard_pitts
07-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I imagine some of our followers who sit in the west stand and also attend mass, "Only sing in the chapel" imo :greengrin

Hibercelona
07-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I imagine some of our followers who sit in the west stand and also attend mass, "Only sing in the chapel" imo :greengrin

You're banned for life! :grr:

Yours faithfully

Rod Petrie. :duck:

ginger_rice
07-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Guy I work with plays for the Shire and doesn't know anything about this!!

Ed De Gramo
07-10-2009, 09:19 PM
didn't think one man and his dog would be capable of this :confused::cool2::duck:

Onceinawhile
08-10-2009, 12:29 AM
didn't think one man and his dog would be capable of this :confused::cool2::duck:

Wouldn't be able to lift Nade either:bitchy:

Rory89
08-10-2009, 02:05 AM
They sang at the football? :confused:

Obviously not Hibees then.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-10-2009, 07:49 AM
I should give myself a self imposed ban then cos when I read this, I thought it was the funniest thing I had seen in ages. I am not sure where the ****** is coming from on this TBH. If they are wanting to roll the "bigotry is everywhere" and not just in our precious Old Firm that is quite pathetic. But if they want to make a stand then they have kinda put themselves on the hook. How can you report an incident that hardly anyone has seen or heard and by the same turn, make no comment about incidents which have been seen and heard by a worldwide audience? By that I mean the audible bylines to Simply the Best and the " No one likes us" song last Sunday on Sky Sports.

Leith Green
08-10-2009, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=Don Giovanni;2200602]I was surprised and disappointed to read that East Stirling were “at the centre of a sectarian storm” following their 3 – 0 defeat to Albion Rovers on Saturday. Apparently “the rogue element were waving rosary beads and chanting taunts of ‘You only sing in the chapel’ and ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’”, according to the Daily Record’s Anthony Haggerty. Article here (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2009/10/07/exclusive-east-stirlingshire-owner-reports-own-fans-after-sectarian-taunts-during-match-86908-21729006/).

:top marks Think thats a brilliant song.

Are you for real?? Rangers sing it to us every visit to Ibrox or when we play them at Easter Road, and you think its brilliant?? :confused:

Hibee87
08-10-2009, 08:24 AM
I should give myself a self imposed ban then cos when I read this, I thought it was the funniest thing I had seen in ages. I am not sure where the ****** is coming from on this TBH. If they are wanting to roll the "bigotry is everywhere" and not just in our precious Old Firm that is quite pathetic. But if they want to make a stand then they have kinda put themselves on the hook. How can you report an incident that hardly anyone has seen or heard and by the same turn, make no comment about incidents which have been seen and heard by a worldwide audience? By that I mean the audible bylines to Simply the Best and the " No one likes us" song last Sunday on Sky Sports.

Exactly, you could clearly hear the famine song being sung by the rangers fans on the telly not a word mentioned. I bet if hearts sang the famine song at tynie it would be all over the papers.

Dinkydoo
08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Pretty pathetic fae the "fans" and papers tbh.

Ignore the famine song and chants about the IRA shooting Novo in his sleep but pick up on two nothing teams shouting OF related insults to each other presumably because they couldny afford a ticket at Ibrox on Sunday:faf:

What does Stirling have to do wi the OF anyway :rolleyes:

Should the fans not be more focussed on actually supporting the team they've came to see as opposed to shouting about the other team's "tendancies"

7Hero
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
4 out of the first 5 artices on this site are about the old firm...

:grr:

MSK
08-10-2009, 11:39 AM
4 out of the first 5 artices on this site are about the old firm...

:grr:Quite refreshing..at least they aint about the yams...just for once !

Tomsk
08-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Pretty pathetic fae the "fans" and papers tbh.

Ignore the famine song and chants about the IRA shooting Novo in his sleep but pick up on two nothing teams shouting OF related insults to each other presumably because they couldny afford a ticket at Ibrox on Sunday:faf:

What does Stirling have to do wi the OF anyway :rolleyes:

Should the fans not be more focussed on actually supporting the team they've came to see as opposed to shouting about the other team's "tendancies"

Or Falkirk for that matter.

monktonharp
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I was surprised and disappointed to read that East Stirling were “at the centre of a sectarian storm” following their 3 – 0 defeat to Albion Rovers on Saturday. Apparently “the rogue element were waving rosary beads and chanting taunts of ‘You only sing in the chapel’ and ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’”, according to the Daily Record’s Anthony Haggerty. Article here (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2009/10/07/exclusive-east-stirlingshire-owner-reports-own-fans-after-sectarian-taunts-during-match-86908-21729006/).
Personally I can’t see what all the fuss is about? I don’t find any of these ‘acts of sectarianism’ particularly offensive.
Are the reporters being too sensitive or are the East Stirling supporters involved simply bigots?

[In the interests of fairness and balance the OF derby passed off without any sectarian incidents...]:confused:Is the owner of E.Stirling not just trying to nip it in the bud? cant aee anything wrong in him /DR saying something about it. he is merely stating that he does not want sectarianism or bigotry to get a foot in the door,at a club where there never was this problem. despite their low attendances,he should be apploaded, not derided

heretoday
08-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I've sat with the East Stirling fans and a more good-humoured (and long-suffering) bunch it would be hard to find.

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2009, 01:15 PM

Yes, let's throw the evil empire of East Stirling out of Scottish football. That would clear up the cancer of bigotry in our game at a stroke.

We should be be complimenting the Record on their fearless campaign and their backbone in standing up to those powerful vested interests that control our game.

dhmf
08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=fife hfc;2200675]

Are you for real?? Rangers sing it to us every visit to Ibrox or when we play them at Easter Road, and you think its brilliant?? :confused:

Surely we would have to have a bus fare to get to ibrox from Edinburgh. Though it is Rangers fans so a guess not alot of thought goes into much they do.

ancient hibee
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
The day the ES fanbase is big enough to have a rogue element they'll be dancing in the streets of wherever it is.

Leith Green
08-10-2009, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Leith Green;2200923]

Surely we would have to have a bus fare to get to ibrox from Edinburgh. Though it is Rangers fans so a guess not alot of thought goes into much they do.

I'm just stating a fact, I can remember this being sung to us at Ibrox on quite a few occasions..
Remember Huns aren't exactly the most intelligent supporters around..

Wakeyhibee
08-10-2009, 03:28 PM

[In the interests of fairness and balance the OF derby passed off without any sectarian incidents...]

Watched the Shire down here in a pre-season game v Retford last year and found their fans to be funny & non-offensive.

Retford keeper had a mullet hair cut and took some stick. "Hey Keeper.... two for the dodgems" had me in stitches.

heretoday
08-10-2009, 09:19 PM
The day the ES fanbase is big enough to have a rogue element they'll be dancing in the streets of wherever it is.

Brilliant!

Green_one
09-10-2009, 08:03 AM
. Apparently “the rogue element were waving rosary beads and chanting taunts of ‘You only sing in the chapel’ and ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’”, according to the Daily Record’s Anthony Haggerty.

'waving rosary beads' Does anyone else feel this is unlikley?

I do not claim to keep up to date with religeous affairs but I suspect the average Catholic does not use rosary beads. Thats like bringing a wooden rattle to a football game.

Where would these bigots buy rosary beads? I have no idea. I looked for hours in ASDAs :greengrin. Takes too much planning and cost for the average dim witted knuckle dragger but does make a GOOD STORY. I feel a lie or embellishment somewhere. No I must be wrong, its the Record after all. And if one part of the story is wrong then.......:blah:

Brizo
09-10-2009, 08:38 AM

I do not claim to keep up to date with religeous affairs but I suspect the average Catholic does not use rosary beads. Thats like bringing a wooden rattle to a football game.

Where would these bigots buy rosary beads? I have no idea. I looked for hours in ASDAs :greengrin. Takes too much planning and cost for the average dim witted knuckle dragger but does make a GOOD STORY. I feel a lie or embellishment somewhere. No I must be wrong, its the Record after all. And if one part of the story is wrong then.......:blah:

Strange as it may sound rosary beads have become a fashion accessory for a lot of the young dudes of all and no religions :confused: Available from all good clothes shops and some bad ones.

Yours in fashion

JackRegan
09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
BTw this is a NON story. it never happened.

Lots of Celtic fans go and watch the Rovers when we are playing on Sunday, I heard (second hand) from guys who were there and they know nothing about it. Guys on celticminded and thehuddleboard were there also and have said nothing.

But hey ist the Daily Record, who just love stirring things like this up.

Bishop Hibee
09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Strange as it may sound rosary beads have become a fashion accessory for a lot of the young dudes of all and no religions :confused: Available from all good clothes shops and some bad ones.

Yours in fashion

Correct. Beckham has been wearing them for a while.

Answering the first paragraph, I would say that most Catholics who go to church would have a set kicking about somewhere even if they don't use them.

Second paragraph, agree. What a load of rubbish the ****** is.

As for "sing in the chapel", no catholic I know calls their church a "chapel", they talk about their church. Also, anyone who has been to Mass in Scotland would know that very few people sing anyway!

JackRegan
09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Correct. Beckham has been wearing them for a while.

Answering the first paragraph, I would say that most Catholics who go to church would have a set kicking about somewhere even if they don't use them.

Second paragraph, agree. What a load of rubbish the ****** is.

As for "sing in the chapel", no catholic I know calls their church a "chapel", they talk about their church. Also, anyone who has been to Mass in Scotland would know that very few people sing anyway!

Ahem...my old Church has a great choir consisting of African Asylum seekers. :greengrin

Godsahibby
09-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Speaking to a Shire mate the night who was there, sad this was a total non story, started off as just a bit of banter that chairman / owner has decided to make a big thing about.
He also mentioned the supporters clubs (probably just the one) have been asked to warn the fans about the behavoir this week, playing Berwick Rangers and they are worries about anti english chanting!

Iggy Pope
09-10-2009, 07:56 PM

Falkirk. A place full of non - rosary donning huns.

H18Y GW
10-10-2009, 04:17 AM
[QUOTE=fife hfc;2200675]

I take it you were not at fir park,as this got an airing from the Hibs end to the motherwell fans and not by just a few.:blah:

The Hun version i must add.