PDA

View Full Version : Why we all dislike the infirm..

erskine-hibby
07-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Another little reminder:grr:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/128403-the-riot-that-banned-alcohol-from-scottish-football/

:grr::grr:

Jonnyboy
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Another little reminder:grr:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/128403-the-riot-that-banned-alcohol-from-scottish-football/

:grr::grr:

Animals :agree:

As an aside, who spotted Cyclops collecting his medal and who laughed at Davie Provabn's comical perm? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't hate the old firm for that, in fact there is nothing i like more than both sets of fans inflicting hurt and pain on each other.:thumbsup: There are a million more reasons to hate the old firm than not being able to get a drink at a match.

erskine-hibby
07-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't hate the old firm for that, in fact there is nothing i like more than both sets of fans inflicting hurt and pain on each other.:thumbsup: There are a million more reasons to hate the old firm than not being able to get a drink at a match.

True, but it is just one reason (in a long line) how the infirm have spoiled the game here in Scotland. I, for one, would at least like the oppertunity to have a beer at the game if I wish. Plus, it is yet another source of income that has been denied other clubs.

Joe Baker II
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
True, but it is just one reason (in a long line) how the infirm have spoiled the game here in Scotland. I, for one, would at least like the oppertunity to have a beer at the game if I wish. Plus, it is yet another source of income that has been denied other clubs.

Precisely - although I realise it was not only Rangers/Celtic games where there was trouble in 1970s.

Hatred should not be directed at Old Firm fans per se though but should be directed at the SNP politicians who have chosen to retain discriminatory legislation against football supporters though - no one is proposing retruning to carry out arrangements that existed in the 1970s only that Scotland is brought in line with other countries.

Franck is God
07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm not old enough to remember booze at the games but I have been to a few premiership matches and it's good to be able to have a pint within the stand before you go through and watch the game.

When you see how popular Behind The Goals is its easy to see there is a massive revenue there for Hibs to take advantage of.

Keith_M
07-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Hatred should not be directed at Old Firm fans per se though but should be directed at the SNP politicians who have chosen to retain discriminatory legislation against football supporters though - no one is proposing retruning to carry out arrangements that existed in the 1970s only that Scotland is brought in line with other countries.

You mean the SNP have been in power in scotland since 1980?

So I must have imagined the fact that we've had a Labout administration at holyrood and various Tory Scottish secretaries in charge over the course of 27 years.

Joe Baker II
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
You mean the SNP have been in power in scotland since 1980?

So I must have imagined the fact that we've had a Labout administration at holyrood and various Tory Scottish secretaries in charge over the course of 27 years.

Difference is that legislation was right at the time and it is in recent years it has become archaic as is obvious when compared to situation elsewhere in Europe, but the SNP deserve particular criticism becuase they had chance to make changes as part of new license rules and failed, therefore are perpetuating discrimination and are usually happy to highlight situations where Scottish football fans get raw deal.

O'Rourke3
07-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Difference is that legislation was right at the time and it is in recent years it has become archaic as is obvious when compared to situation elsewhere in Europe, but the SNP deserve particular criticism becuase they had chance to make changes as part of new license rules and failed, therefore are perpetuating discrimination and are usually happy to highlight situations where Scottish football fans get raw deal.

If anyone thinks allowing fans already wound up to increase their woundup-edness by drinking at a Derby isn't "thinking it through" properly(as Al Murray might say). I'm not an SNP supporter and all for the rights of individuals, but some people would make other people's lives worse were this to come into force. Sorry, we're not ready for this yet. Look no further than the boy that got decked by Caspar.

sambajustice
07-10-2009, 04:46 PM
That video wont play for me. Not at work or at home...

gringojoe
07-10-2009, 04:50 PM
If you want a pint go to the pub not a football match, plenty of hours in the day when the pubs are open. I remember the days of drinking at the game guys spewing, peeing in cans and bottles or over the folk in front of them lets not go back to those days.

StevieC
07-10-2009, 05:14 PM
That video wont play for me. Not at work or at home...

Me neither ..

Here's the YouTube equivalent 1980 CUP FINAL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daEMvQsWys8)

A few of things hit me (thankfully not one of the buckie bottles getting lobbed about)...

How good a player McLuskey was .. and it pains me to say it but Cooper wasn't half bad either.

How bad was the fashion sense in Glasgow in 1980?

"Up to our knee's .. " came through loud and clear.

hibsbollah
07-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I remember as a 9 year old watching that live with my Grandad. He was full of moral outrage, I thought it was great:greengrin

StevieC
07-10-2009, 05:32 PM
If you want a pint go to the pub not a football match, plenty of hours in the day when the pubs are open. I remember the days of drinking at the game guys spewing, peeing in cans and bottles or over the folk in front of them lets not go back to those days.

It's never going to return to those days in an all seater stadium.

You can enjoy a pint pre-match in BTG so no great difference to having it in the stadium as well. Usual rules apply, bar closes before kick off, re-opens at half time. It's actually a good way of reducing the congestion at turnstiles at five to three.

Happens at stadia in England without any trouble and I don't think you could say that they are the worlds best behaved supporters.

gringojoe
07-10-2009, 05:39 PM
It's never going to return to those days in an all seater stadium.

You can enjoy a pint pre-match in BTG so no great difference to having it in the stadium as well. Usual rules apply, bar closes before kick off, re-opens at half time. It's actually a good way of reducing the congestion at turnstiles at five to three.

Happens at stadia in England without any trouble and I don't think you could say that they are the worlds best behaved supporters.

I enjoy a few pints before the match like most fans just think it's not asking too much not to drink for 90 minutes. It would still be an offence to be drunk in the stadium are the stewards/police going to watch who has drunk what?

Rory89
07-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Maybe this year if they meet in a cup final they should organise a 30 year anniversary riot, and give them weapons.

Would solve some of Scottish football's problems.

Ozyhibby
07-10-2009, 05:48 PM
I remember as a 9 year old watching that live with my Grandad. He was full of moral outrage, I thought it was great:greengrin

His moral outrage was probably for your benefit, he probably thought it was great as well.:greengrin

heidtheba
07-10-2009, 06:52 PM
On the subject of alcohol and sports...anyone read the bit in today's Metro about Bathurst in Oz? Cracking motor race but the authorities have 'clamped down' on too much boozing...fans are now 'only' allowed...

(I kid you not)
24 cans of regular alcoholic beer
or
36 cans of low-alcoholo beer
or
4 litres of wine

a day!

One Day Soon
07-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Mr Baker I am very far from being an SNP supporter but I have two observations on this - 1. If it is right to change the laws now then it was just as right during the first two non-SNP administrations at Holyrood so trying to blame our Nat friends alone for not allowing booze at games is just unreasonable. 2. I think we should keep ALL party politics off this board, it is just like flag debates and can only end in tears.

Apart from references to Margaret Thatcher, obviously. :rolleyes:

Precisely - although I realise it was not only Rangers/Celtic games where there was trouble in 1970s.

Prof. Shaggy
07-10-2009, 07:39 PM
A few of things hit me (thankfully not one of the buckie bottles getting lobbed about)...

How good a player McLuskey was .. and it pains me to say it but Cooper wasn't half bad either.

"Up to our knee's .. " came through loud and clear.

Noticed he had two chances to go down on one run into the box but chose to stay on his feet and put in the cross....(only for Derek Johnstone to welly it six yards over the bar!!). Today's infirm winger would have collapsed in a writhing mass of legs and arms before he got anywhere near the by-line.

One Day Soon
07-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Just looked at the you tube version which is about the first time I have seen this since watching it in 1980 when I was 16. At that time I remember being kind of excited and shocked by it.

Watching it just now and seeing the wee Rangers lad in the goalmouth bewildered, crying and scared I'm just disgusted by the whole thing.

Joe Baker II
08-10-2009, 09:11 AM

What an idiotic post - noone is suggesting allowing glass bottles and cans in to grounds.

And not everyone has unlimited time to go to pubs for the rest of day either, as later posters point out what SNP have failed to bring in is what works perfectly well in England (and could easily be brought in as pilot excluding games such as Old FIrm, Hibs-Hearts if will was there).

Joe Baker II
08-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Mr Baker I am very far from being an SNP supporter but I have two observations on this - 1. If it is right to change the laws now then it was just as right during the first two non-SNP administrations at Holyrood so trying to blame our Nat friends alone for not allowing booze at games is just unreasonable. 2. I think we should keep ALL party politics off this board, it is just like flag debates and can only end in tears.

Apart from references to Margaret Thatcher, obviously. :rolleyes:

Cannot really ignore "politics" in any discussion as your second para implies - substitute politics with the word "reality" and you get the point.

For infromation I tend to be SNP-inclined when voting though less so recently - point still stands that SNP had chance to end discrimination against Scots by not bringing practice at stadia in line with England (even worse they relaxed the ban for the anglophile sport of rugby union) but SNP people are (often rightly) ready to highlight other issues where Scottish football supporters get bad deal, hence the hypocrisy is greater.

Though agree cannot blame SNP alone but they still deserve slagging over this and up to as many Scots as possible to ensure they get it.

Joe Baker II
08-10-2009, 09:20 AM
I enjoy a few pints before the match like most fans just think it's not asking too much not to drink for 90 minutes. It would still be an offence to be drunk in the stadium are the stewards/police going to watch who has drunk what?

But it is not 90 minutes - one is usually in stadium for 2 hours. And supporters buses tend to have no alcohol (there are exceptions) so discrimates further against those coming form distances.

No evidence in England that stewards/police watch who has drunk what, and alcohol in ground does not mean more people will be "drunk" as you describe.

gringojoe
08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
What an idiotic post - noone is suggesting allowing glass bottles and cans in to grounds.

And not everyone has unlimited time to go to pubs for the rest of day either, as later posters point out what SNP have failed to bring in is what works perfectly well in England (and could easily be brought in as pilot excluding games such as Old FIrm, Hibs-Hearts if will was there).

It's not idiotic at all, your attitude proves that some people shouldn't have access to strong drink.

Joe Baker II
08-10-2009, 10:42 AM
It's not idiotic at all, your attitude proves that some people shouldn't have access to strong drink.

Can you expand please?

You have not even attempted to answer the points made that the situations that you described (generalising somewhat but so be it) in the 1970s do not happen now in rest of Europe and would not if the same rules were in place here!! When you have I will consider if the word "idiotic" is still justified.

gringojoe
08-10-2009, 11:10 AM
See my original post, if you want to drink go to the pub if you want to watch football go to the match. If you can't go 90 minutes, sorry 2 hours, without a drink you have a problem.

hibs1875aye
08-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Can you expand please?

You have not even attempted to answer the points made that the situations that you described (generalising somewhat but so be it) in the 1970s do not happen now in rest of Europe and would not if the same rules were in place here!! When you have I will consider if the word "idiotic" is still justified.

Firstly; I would love a pint at the game.
But, at what point do you think Scotland and football goers in Scotland changed from not being allowed drink to BEING allowed drink, in a stadium???

Was it 1981? 1982? Maybe 1998? Perhaps right about the time the SNP won the election? Dont be silly - nothing has changed since the SNP won the election and to blame them is just stupid. Theres too many nutters and pains the arse to allow drink in the stadium...

All that would happen with beer in the stadium would be a constant stream of erses walking in front of me to the bar whilst the game is on (and I am in FAVOUR of beer at teh ground but equally, I want to see the game). Split the difference and have the beer at half time - sorted no?

hibs1875aye
08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
To the point of the thread, I hate the old firm because they are followed by a large proportion of the most vile fans in Scotland, they spout biggotry, embarass us as a country and drag us back to the dark ages and get away with cheating like **** due to their size in Scotland.

Could go on a lot more but I will refrain. Let them piss off to England though I canny see the English wanting to put up with their crap any more than we do !!!

JackRegan
09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Ah the 1980 Cup Final.......:greengrin

I was in the Main Stand that day and these guys had actually bought a ticket for a seat to put the Carry out on.

Another wee anecdote, is that a guy I know who was on the pitch ended up banging the Polis wummin on the white charger just a few months ago. Her names Elaine and she's wearing well. :agree:

England, whoe have had a much larger problem with hooliganism in Scotland have managed to get bars opened in grounds - we're ready for it to happen here and IMO have been since the grounds went all seated.

IberianHibernian
09-10-2009, 10:41 PM
I remember the 1980 SC final well because I was actually there near the back of the Celtic End ( just a month after I`d been about only Hibby at that end when we lost semi 0v5 ) . It was a very hot day and scenes at end were not great but my main memory is of after the match ,walking through Gorbals back to centre of Glasgow surrounded by Celtic fans - there were no celebrations just a very subdued atmosphere - the end of match incidents had a huge impact on most fans there . It was a long time ago but reckon that winning goal was a Sneddon shot deflected in by George McCluskey and Mike Conroy was one of Celtic`s best that day so future Hibbies ha a big part to play .
As for booze in grounds in Scotland , totally opposed to it . It`s obvious reading comments here after every semi and final at Hampden that not enough is done to control entry of drunk fans at big matches . BTG and Hibs Club are fine for Hibs fans who want their beer money to go to club and there are loads of pubs near ground ( some of them will have attracted many fans to Holy Ground - do we just abandon them now ? ) . If our marketing team can only think of booze to boost our income we need to look elsewhere for marketing . Also are there not European Union laws about alcohol in grounds ?

heretoday
09-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I don't dislike the OF in a sense because I can remember when it was a fair competion for the League. You went along and watched Hibs against the OF and it was a big game but you always felt we had a chance. You still do now but somehow.....

Importantly, the OF feared Hibs and Hearts as equals. That was the 60/70s.