PDA

View Full Version : Get the East Stand rebuilt this season

Jamesie
06-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Very, very disappointed the East isn't being redeveloped this year. The toilets in particular are nowhere near fit for purpose. Yes, it has the best atmosphere in the ground but I'd take my chances on a modern, single tier stand in its place.

Poor, poor show Hibs - here was a chance to complete the stadium some 14 years after we started its transistion but alas no.

CB_NO3
06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Its going to be built, calm down. There is no rush.

PaulSmith
06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Very, very disappointed the East isn't being redeveloped this year. The toilets in particular are nowhere near fit for purpose. Yes, it has the best atmosphere in the ground but I'd take my chances on a modern, single tier stand in its place.

Poor, poor show Hibs - here was a chance to complete the stadium some 14 years after we started its transistion but alas no.

I'm with you Jamesie, disappointed as well.

RoYO!
06-10-2009, 09:25 PM
i know how you feel, but im happy to go with whatever the board reckons is the best plan for right now.

when you see pics of the ground pre rebuild it is incredible how far the infrastructure has come in what i would consider a small amount of time.

bingo70
06-10-2009, 09:27 PM
i know how you feel, but im happy to go with whatever the board reckons is the best plan for right now.

when you see pics of the ground pre rebuild it is incredible how far the infrastructure has come in what i would consider a small amount of time.

:agree:

I'm with you, i'd have liked to have had it built this year, but i'm happy to wait until the board think they are getting it all done for the right price, they're the one with all the figures and i've no reason to doubt there judgement.

In the mean time is pissing on walls really that bad? :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
06-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Like Rod said tonight, would you rather by sitting in a pretty stand, with the club up to it's neck in debt, or status quo and money in the bank???

Christ we can't even sell out ER on most match days, so why increase the capacity??

Sprouleflyer
06-10-2009, 09:34 PM

I'm with you as well Jamesie.

The East Stand is well past it's sell by date and although at times you can get a decent atmosphere coming from the stand, the current size must affect the rest of the stadiums atmosphere.

My feelings are the longer we wait the more expensive the stand will get, did the board give any indication tonight as to what it would cost to build right now and what the cost they perceive as acceptable with them stalling?

Sprouleflyer
06-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Like Rod said tonight, would you rather by sitting in a pretty stand, with the club up to it's neck in debt, or status quo and money in the bank???

Christ we can't even sell out ER on most match days, so why increase the capacity??

What good is money in the bank if it's not used to benefit the club.

Did Petrie let you know what the money was going to be used for?

Hibercelona
06-10-2009, 09:38 PM

Exactly.

Before we go ahead and build up any stand, lets get some consistency going in the team.

If Hibs can get the players consistently performing like they did against Dundee Utd.... then I can see many new comers coming to ER in the near future.

Then they can focus on building up the terracing.

WindyMiller
06-10-2009, 09:42 PM

I'm with you, i'd have liked to have had it built this year, but i'm happy to wait until the board think they are getting it all done for the right price, they're the one with all the figures and i've no reason to doubt there judgement.

In the mean time is pissing on walls really that bad? :wink:

You'll need to ask the "Coven" what they think.:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
06-10-2009, 09:43 PM

They have done away with overdraft facility, so they need £2million per year to meet cash flow and costs

Hibercelona
06-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Surely spending money on the squad is also a way of benefiting the club?

What good is increasing the capacity when there isn't a team good enough on the field to attract more supporters?

fordie2
06-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Exactly.

Before we go ahead and build up any stand, lets get some consistency going in the team.

If Hibs can get the players consistently performing like they did against Dundee Utd.... then I can see many new comers coming to ER in the near future.

Yeh so lets spend a fortune building a team, then when we have the supporters coming along we reduce the capacity to build a new stand! That makes no sense to me at all, you need to build the stand before people get the bug or they will get fed up waiting on a seat when we pull the East down

Sprouleflyer
06-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Surely spending money on the squad is also a way of benefiting the club?

What good is increasing the capacity when there isn't a team good enough on the field to attract more supporters?

Catch 22 I suppose!

Whats the benefit of building a team and not having a stadium good enough to house the supporters who have been attracted back and then reducing capacity to build the stand when we need the seats most!

So many fans go on about speculate to accumulate when it comes to bringing in players, where is the real risk on a project that if mortgaged correctly may cost what is effectivley an additional 1000 ST holders or 1000 more on your average gate.

I just felt that this was the right time to finish the stadium, when the team is just begining an upward turn in fortune (I hope).

Sprouleflyer
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeh so lets spend a fortune building a team, then when we have the supporters coming along we reduce the capacity to build a new stand! That makes no sense to me at all, you need to build the stand before people get the bug or they will get fed up waiting on a seat when we pull the East down

Beat me to it, me and my 2 finger typing :grr: :greengrin

oconnors_strip
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM

yes the toilets and catering facilities are shocking but these can be improved without rebuliding the stand. knock the wee buildings down and build new toilets (with more female ones!!) and catering kiosks with modern equipment. there is plenty room there for them to be built wider than whats there just now.

get the fans coming back week after week for the next 3-4 years then hibs should think about building the new stand.

Capt Mainwaring
06-10-2009, 10:04 PM

Jamesie - I think everyone, including the Board recognise that the East Stand is not fit for purpose. You can't spend what you don't have however, and it more than likely that bank borrowing costs are significantly higher than they were 14 years ago.

If some minor development work is to start by the end of the year to ensure the Planning Consent stays available for a longer term - does it not seem sensible to hold off until (1) the financial position at the club allows the spend to take place or (2) the general economic position stabilises and affordable borrowing is available against the cashflow coming in?

Accepting that I'm not an East Stand man myself - are the facilities so bad that we can't wait another year or two and avoid going into debt we can't afford? We made a profit last year but only after a trading loss and player sales.

We've seen 3 seasons or more of mid table mediocrity so I'd rather see an improved team on the park - paying higher than average wages to players (Riordan, Miller Stokes) that gave us a better chance of 3rd place or cup wins.

I don't see the panic to get a new East Stand up at this point.

Jamesie
06-10-2009, 10:06 PM

...and start building - thereby reducing capacity - at the time when we're selling out week after week? Now is exactly the time to be building surely.

Jamesie
06-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Accepting that I'm not an East Stand man myself - are the facilities so bad that we can't wait another year or two and avoid going into debt we can't afford? We made a profit last year but only after a trading loss and player sales.

Believe me, the facilities really are that bad. How the loos get past environmental health is beyond me. I was in dire straits a few weeks ago but the cubicles were completely feral. I live quite close to the ground, so asked if I could nip out at halftime, but the gormless stewards told me I wouldn't get back in if I did, despite the state of the toilets. :grr:

Capt Mainwaring
06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Believe me, the facilities really are that bad. How the loos get past environmental health is beyond me. I was in dire straits a few weeks ago but the cubicles were completely feral. I live quite close to the ground, so asked if I could nip out at halftime, but the gormless stewards told me I wouldn't get back in if I did, despite the state of the toilets. :grr:

Ok - fair point. Sound like a priority spend should be made bring the basics up to standard.

jakedance
06-10-2009, 10:19 PM
When the times right it'll get built and this isn't the time so it won't. Simple as that.

A lot of clubs are in a dire financial position at the moment. We should be grateful this is the extent of our problems (beyond the usual "we're one CH/RB/GK short of a good team" complaints).

At some point a new East will be built and that will be progress. Until that time I'm happy with the status quo.

wee 162
06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
...and start building - thereby reducing capacity - at the time when we're selling out week after week? Now is exactly the time to be building surely.

You're talking about a reduction of 3,000 in capacity. Which would take the overall capacity of the ground down to 14,500 for 6 months. Give the away team 500 tickets, and you have 14,000 available for Hibbies. Have we ever had a crowd of over 14,000 Hibbies week in week out at any point in our history?

When there was a similar reduction in capacity when the old west stand was demolished we were not selling out games against the OF. And that was at a point where we had Latapy & Sauzee, and the whole club was looking as if it was on its way up.

If the money is there to build it at some point, fine go ahead. But spending over £6m and then servicing that debt for very little actual financial return (ie there's no scope for more corporate seating, and the current capacity is rarely tested, never mind an additional 3,500) does not seem a sensible course of action.

And yes. Spending a modest sum on replacing the toilets and catering facilities would be a sensible stop gap measure. Although I'd be interested in the reasoning after Rod Petries acknowledgement of the poor facilities compared to the rest of the ground in the justification for charging the same amount to get in as the West Stand where you can actually see all the game from...

NAE NOOKIE
06-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I cant see why it has to be as big as 6,500 anyway. Whats wrong with 5,500, bringing the capacity for home support up to approximately 15,700 and total capacity to approximately 19,400.

The stand would still be tall enough to make the ground more balanced and would cost less to build, it would also look OK with a floodlight gantry on top running the lenghth of the stand on the same level as those on the west.

If we ever get to the stage where average crowds make even 19,400 not enough ( unlikely in my opinion ) then we would surely have enough dosh to fill in the corners.

Anyway .... disappointed that its not being done.

NAE NOOKIE
06-10-2009, 10:41 PM
You're talking about a reduction of 3,000 in capacity. Which would take the overall capacity of the ground down to 14,500 for 6 months. Give the away team 500 tickets, and you have 14,000 available for Hibbies. Have we ever had a crowd of over 14,000 Hibbies week in week out at any point in our history?

When there was a similar reduction in capacity when the old west stand was demolished we were not selling out games against the OF. And that was at a point where we had Latapy & Sauzee, and the whole club was looking as if it was on its way up.

If the money is there to build it at some point, fine go ahead. But spending over £6m and then servicing that debt for very little actual financial return (ie there's no scope for more corporate seating, and the current capacity is rarely tested, never mind an additional 3,500) does not seem a sensible course of action.

And yes. Spending a modest sum on replacing the toilets and catering facilities would be a sensible stop gap measure. Although I'd be interested in the reasoning after Rod Petries acknowledgement of the poor facilities compared to the rest of the ground in the justification for charging the same amount to get in as the West Stand where you can actually see all the game from...

I dont know how to do that thing where you highlight part of someones post, but your last paragraph is spot on
:top marks

monktonharp
06-10-2009, 10:59 PM

And yes. Spending a modest sum on replacing the toilets and catering facilities would be a sensible stop gap measure. Although I'd be interested in the reasoning after Rod Petries acknowledgement of the poor facilities compared to the rest of the ground in the justification for charging the same amount to get in as the West Stand where you can actually see all the game from... are you talking about recent history? and,the East is a sheite hole. I bought a ST for there,thinking ,last ever time in it,memories etc.we will be moved into the Dunbar end for the last few games this season.wish i'd stayed with the FF now:grr:

villager
06-10-2009, 11:21 PM
i think its fair to say that us terracing diehards are perceived as quite sad and as having strange priorities, but i still love the east and savour every game in the wake of its eventual replacement.

i'm over 20 years in the same spot and have had plenty to compare it to on occasion, corporate, west upper, west lower, famous five, other away grounds. sure the veiw aint the best and the atmosphere isnt what is has been, but for me, the minority, the terracing atmosphere is a huge part of the matchday experience i fell for as a boy and i consider myself lucky that i can still enjoy enjoy something close to it in 2009. no doubt the last tolerated standing area in british top flight football.

i've accepted for a few years now its not going to last and gave up arguing for its survival in the face of a new structure. although i chuckle when i hear the facilities being brought up, i remember outside toilets at partick thistle and the trench full of piss in the away terrace 'toilet' at the pbs. the facilities are only used for 30 seconds, i wouldnt swop the sway of old or standing on my seat for 90 minutes latterly during a gripping game with a bounce for a shiny lavy.

i'm aware that families, elderly, civilsed types and corporates cant live with the grim reality that i can accept but you guys are well catered for in the other areas of ER so should have no complaints really with all those millions invested underneath your rear ends.

i'll miss the old girl something terrible when she goes. my support for hibs wont go with her, far from it, but a peice of the clubs soul will in my opinion. with a new stand developed we're only a few seasons from music when we score, fluffy animal mascots and flag waving when an exec is breifed to reinvent the missing matchday magic.

Antifa Hibs
07-10-2009, 08:47 AM
i think its fair to say that us terracing diehards are perceived as quite sad and as having strange priorities, but i still love the east and savour every game in the wake of its eventual replacement.

i'm over 20 years in the same spot and have had plenty to compare it to on occasion, corporate, west upper, west lower, famous five, other away grounds. sure the veiw aint the best and the atmosphere isnt what is has been, but for me, the minority, the terracing atmosphere is a huge part of the matchday experience i fell for as a boy and i consider myself lucky that i can still enjoy enjoy something close to it in 2009. no doubt the last tolerated standing area in british top flight football.

i've accepted for a few years now its not going to last and gave up arguing for its survival in the face of a new structure. although i chuckle when i hear the facilities being brought up, i remember outside toilets at partick thistle and the trench full of piss in the away terrace 'toilet' at the pbs. the facilities are only used for 30 seconds, i wouldnt swop the sway of old or standing on my seat for 90 minutes latterly during a gripping game with a bounce for a shiny lavy.

i'm aware that families, elderly, civilsed types and corporates cant live with the grim reality that i can accept but you guys are well catered for in the other areas of ER so should have no complaints really with all those millions invested underneath your rear ends.

i'll miss the old girl something terrible when she goes. my support for hibs wont go with her, far from it, but a peice of the clubs soul will in my opinion. with a new stand developed we're only a few seasons from music when we score, fluffy animal mascots and flag waving when an exec is breifed to reinvent the missing matchday magic.

Spot on :top marks:top marks

I'm pretty glad about the decision to delay it aswell. Means I can still watch my football properly and how it should be watched :agree::thumbsup:

Steve20
07-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I love the East stand at the moment, so I am quite happy that it's not getting done at the moment.

Until we can fill it, then there really is no point. Just because you build a new stand, it doesn't mean people will suddenly come along, despite what people say.

mim
07-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I hate the East Stand, but that's where I go to watch Hibs. :wink:
Having spent a lifetime viewing from the East Terracing, then the East Stand, I have no desire to watch from any other vantage point. I have tried every other stand and now can't wait for the new East Stand to built, so I still have the same view of the games, but am not subjected to the squalor and dangers of the current East Stand.

East rules. :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm disappointed we are not building the stand this season, although if we don't have the money, we don't have the money. I have stood on the east terrace a few times in the last couple of seasons, and i can honestly say i have not enjoyed it at all.

Someone a few months ago posted a thread on what he thought it would cost to service the new stand, and i think he said it was around £500k a year. He did a few sums, and with cup semi's and the odd international, and a few other things i cant quite remember, it seemed feasible it would have been covered with the extra income the stand would bring.

Anyway his post could have been wrong, it does seem so, I'm sure they would have built it if they could afford it, and they thought it would work.

Anyone else think by delaying the new stand, we are leaving it open now for the yams to beat us, and they will get their new £51m stand up before us.:wink:

Saorsa
07-10-2009, 10:48 AM

i'll miss the old girl something terrible when she goes. my support for hibs wont go with her, far from it, but a peice of the clubs soul will in my opinion. with a new stand developed we're only a few seasons from music when we score, fluffy animal mascots and flag waving when an exec is breifed to reinvent the missing matchday magic.:top marks

I'm glad it's been delayed, I chose tae get my ST in the East because I like it as it is, one of the last places IMO that actually feels like being in a fitba stadium. I sat in the West when it was built tae try it but I didnae like it. The part I sat in at least was awful as far as I'm concerned, it was mair like being at the tennis than the fitba, when a goal was scored everybody stood up, clapped politely for two minutes then sat down again. I soon moved back tae the East, I dinnae care for comfy seats or fancy bogs, I like tae watch my fitba standing and I'm no fussy about pissing against a painted wall. If the East is a bit too much like slumming it for some people there's plenty of empty spaces in the posh stands most weeks for them tae go and sit in.

IMO there is currently absolutely nae need for a 21,500 capacity or the £6Million + expense that it would incur tae build it. The best team and the best style of fitba in the last 30 years played under Mowbray couldnae sell out a 17,500 capacity on anything like a regular basis, 6 games a season if we are lucky enough tae be playing well at the time. Why the need for an extra 4,000 seats (on top of the thousands that currently sit empty for the vast majority of the season) adding hundreds of thousands tae the yearly running costs of the stadium.

Correct decision by the board IMO. The new stand will eventually be built, of that I have nae doubt but as far as I'm concerned the longer it takes the happier I'll be.

1875 NO 1
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM

How do you suggest the club fund it? For me it would be a white elephant 21k capacity..............we can't even get 15k for an old firm game.

It would be good to have the stadium completed but the sums dont add up.

erskine-hibby
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM
The east stand is a total and utter eyesore, but if we can't afford to rebuild it then so be it.
I have to say, though, that if you look at any other successful, or forward looking/want to be successful clubs, they have either rebuilt or have new stadia. So i hope this delay is only short term and that work can start sooner rather than later.

Keith_M
07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
...when an exec is breifed to reinvent the missing matchday magic.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what you're saying about how people feel about the East, but the atmosphere has already gone. IMHO, a single tier stand that's twice the size that more people actually want to buy tickets for could help bring that back.

However, money is everything in this decision and if the club haven't got enough, we just need to wait.

1875 NO 1
07-10-2009, 10:59 AM

When was this?

erskine-hibby
07-10-2009, 10:59 AM
How do you suggest the club fund it? For me it would be a white elephant 21k capacity..............we can't even get 15k for an old firm game.

It would be good to have the stadium completed but the sums dont add up.

Could be that maybe people don't want to come to see half a game, or come to a stadium where the facilities are so bad. If and when the stand is built, and it is up to modern standards, then i'm pretty sure it will be more attractive for people to go...IF, of course, the fare served up is also of decent quality.

1875 NO 1
07-10-2009, 11:00 AM

good post

Ritchie
07-10-2009, 11:01 AM
im delighted.

ive sat in the east for 11 seasons now and love my seat.

dont care how it looks or about the facilities.... its got the best atmosphere in scotland.

the atmosphere at ER will be crap when the east goes!

Ritchie
07-10-2009, 11:02 AM

I'm glad it's been delayed, I chose tae get my ST in the East because I like it as it is, one of the last places IMO that actually feels like being in a fitba stadium. I sat in the West when it was built tae try it but I didnae like it. The part I sat in at least was awful as far as I'm concerned, it was mair like being at the tennis than the fitba, when a goal was scored everybody stood up, clapped politely for two minutes then sat down again. I soon moved back tae the East, I dinnae care for comfy seats or fancy bogs, I like tae watch my fitba standing and I'm no fussy about pissing against a painted wall. If the East is a bit too much like slumming it for some people there's plenty of empty spaces in the posh stands most weeks for them tae go and sit in.

IMO there is currently absolutely nae need for a 21,500 capacity or the £6Million + expense that it would incur tae build it. The best team and the best style of fitba in the last 30 years played under Mowbray couldnae sell out a 17,500 capacity on anything like a regular basis, 6 games a season if we are lucky enough tae be playing well at the time. Why the need for an extra 4,000 seats (on top of the thousands that currently sit empty for the vast majority of the season) adding hundreds of thousands tae the yearly running costs of the stadium.

Correct decision by the board IMO. The new stand will eventually be built, of that I have nae doubt but as far as I'm concerned the longer it takes the happier I'll be.

here here..... long live the east!!

1875 NO 1
07-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Could be that maybe people don't want to come to see half a game, or come to a stadium where the facilities are so bad. If and when the stand is built, and it is up to modern standards, then i'm pretty sure it will be more attractive for people to go...IF, of course, the fare served up is also of decent quality.

I dont think we'll beat what Mogga served up and we couldln't sell out the south stand. The club considered at that time vastly cutting the old firm's allocation. But they didn't think we could sell the tickets. It would have been worth if for just one game to give the huns 1000 ticks and the hibs fans accidently dropping their bovril etc on them.

There is still spare capacity in the FF and West and we only sold a few hundred b season tickets for the south.

For me I'd put a new roof on the terracing, new toilets and get rid of the pilars. The punters like the stand but they are getting ripped off in terms of what they are charged and the restricted view.

erskine-hibby
07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I dont think we'll beat what Mogga served up and we couldln't sell out the south stand. The club considered at that time vastly cutting the old firm's allocation. But they didn't think we could sell the tickets. It would have been worth if for just one game to give the huns 1000 ticks and the hibs fans accidently dropping their bovril etc on them.

There is still spare capacity in the FF and West and we only sold a few hundred b season tickets for the south.

For me I'd put a new roof on the terracing, new toilets and get rid of the pilars. The punters like the stand but they are getting ripped off in terms of what they are charged and the restricted view.

Sounds like a new stand to me:wink:

1875 NO 1
07-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a new stand to me:wink:

dont how you get that when the exsiting seats wont be removed

erskine-hibby
07-10-2009, 11:36 AM

So if they changed the seats would that be a new stand?:wink:

Really though, if they change the roof, put in new toilet facilities, change the seating, they may as well just build a new stand altogether. With the cost of all the upgrades to then knock it down to build a new stand does not make economic sense to me.

Keith_M
07-10-2009, 11:36 AM
OK , a quick question, not meant in sarcasm or any preconcieved ideas. I just want genuine views.

Some posters seem to be suggesting that the current East atmosphere will be gone if it is replaced by another stand.

What is it about the current East stand that you feel can't be replicated in a new stand that would cause the atmosphere to go if it was replaced?

(Did that question make sense? I knew what I meant when I wrote it )

Disc O'Dave
07-10-2009, 11:38 AM

I would suggust thet's not feasible.....otherwise we would have been done so already.

I'm no expert but I imagine that having to design all engineering to fit around what's already there would probably come close to costing the same as a shiny new stand.....

Antifa Hibs
07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
The atmosphere could go two ways, Easter Road could become like Fratton park, our own little fortress :cool2:

Or it could become even pesher than it is now.

We could have the current bunch plus all the singers in the North and West coming over to join us in the south end of the East. Or we could have families, bairns and posh folk (:duck:) inflatrating us and diluting the the atmosphere and matchday experience, 'sit down', 'mind your language' 'put yer joint oot' etc :greengrin

The biggest worry for me is standing. I hate sitting at the football, *** hate it!

Peevemor
07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I would suggust thet's not feasible.....otherwise we would have been done so already.

I'm no expert but I imagine that having to design all engineering to fit around what's already there would probably come close to costing the same as a shiny new stand.....

The existing pillars/roof are built on a pile of landfill - ie. crap, which wouldn't support the columns required for a cantilevered roof structure (without some very fancy, expensive piling work).

MB62
07-10-2009, 11:46 AM

I don't know what it is, possibly just psychological, but I don't like sitting in the South Stand. Having been in the East as it is a couple times in years gone by, Hibs couldn't pay me to sit in there, the place is a disgrace.
I phoned the ticket office and asked if I could possibly buy 4 or 5 Cat B season tickets for the West Upper but they told me it wasn't possible as it was only available for the South stand.
I don't know what the problem is selling Cat B season tickets for the West as it is the same price as the South but anyway, they were not prepared to do it.

I believe a new East Stand would, amongst other things, increase our ability to offer more tickets for kids and families on a more frequent basis and at a reduced rate. Get the kids in early and get them used to watching the Hibees, it could produce dividends in the long run.

Peevemor
07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
The existing pillars/roof are built on a pile of landfill - ie. crap, which wouldn't support the columns required for a cantilevered roof structure (without some very fancy, expensive piling work).

Ooh Aah Cantilever!

Okay - I'm going.

oconnors_strip
07-10-2009, 01:01 PM
are you talking about recent history? and,the East is a sheite hole. I bought a ST for there,thinking ,last ever time in it,memories etc.we will be moved into the Dunbar end for the last few games this season.wish i'd stayed with the FF now:grr:

go to the ticket office and explain this to judith. ask if its possible to move back to the FF. even send an email to fyfe hyland, after his input at the AGM last night the club are wanting to please fans.

jgl07
07-10-2009, 01:12 PM
The rake is inadequate for starters.

Secondly how would the new roof stand up without pillars?

A cantilever stand would have to be constructed.

Get the new stand built this year before the increase in season tickets next year makes such a move difficult.

Gerard
07-10-2009, 01:32 PM
The East Stand is not fit for purpose for all the reasons that have been discussed in the thread. The sooner it goes; the better it will be for Hibs FC and the fans
G

oconnors_strip
07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
The East Stand is not fit for purpose for all the reasons that have been discussed in the thread. The sooner it goes; the better it will be for Hibs FC and the fans
G

better for the fans you say! and the discussions on here, but what about the fans who dont have the internet? how do they get their opinions/views across to other fans and the club?

some people will say yes a survey at the game might be an idea but i know when im going through the turnstiles i dont want to hang about saying yes/no to someone with a clip board. i would suggest a letter being sent to all season ticket holders with a questionaire and an envelope so it can be returned for free.

i bet many of the "older" fans who sit in the east are happy with it (well they would prefer standing than seats).

villager
07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what you're saying about how people feel about the East, but the atmosphere has already gone. IMHO, a single tier stand that's twice the size that more people actually want to buy tickets for could help bring that back.

However, money is everything in this decision and if the club haven't got enough, we just need to wait.

yes the atmosphere is poor by comparison to days of old. there is still a good atmosphere in the east for big / gripping games. i'd agree there is close to no atmosphere when there are few opposition fans at a game.

my point about a good atmosphere in the east, is its not our role to entertain the other stands, its to get behind the players and while doing so a decent enough atmosphere is still possible and the message gets to the players in my opinion. again i'd admit not at every game, mostly just bigger matches, but its there never the less.it may not reach the other stands but that really isnt my worry.

Keith_M
07-10-2009, 02:49 PM
yes the atmosphere is poor by comparison to days of old. there is still a good atmosphere in the east for big / gripping games. i'd agree there is close to no atmosphere when there are few opposition fans at a game.

my point about a good atmosphere in the east, is its not our role to entertain the other stands, its to get behind the players and while doing so a decent enough atmosphere is still possible and the message gets to the players in my opinion. again i'd admit not at every game, mostly just bigger matches, but its there never the less.it may not reach the other stands but that really isnt my worry.

I agree with that, at least the East Standites create some atmosphere. Wouldn't it be possible to create an atmosphere in a new East or do you think that would ruin it? I suppose one thing that would be different is that there would no longer be any standing allowed.

My hope would be that the new East would be similar in character to the North stand at Hampden, a single tier stand with only a slightly higher capacity, which was absolutely bouncing at the CIS final.

villager
07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree with that, at least the East Standites create some atmosphere. Wouldn't it be possible to create an atmosphere in a new East or do you think that would ruin it? I suppose one thing that would be different is that there would no longer be any standing allowed.

My hope would be that the new East would be similar in character to the North stand at Hampden, a single tier stand with only a slightly higher capacity, which was absolutely bouncing at the CIS final.

the one aspect from the stand development fans forum that gave me hope was the one teir aspect. there has to be a chance a single bank of fans with no corporate seat divide can get some noise together. it may also help the general stadium atmoshere being the same size and shape. but given the noise coming from the current new stands i dont see how they have helped generate any vocal atmosphere

one of the problems is the current low roof that contains noise and helps build it within will be gone.

the biggest is that standing is more condusive to singing.

i quote antifa hibs on the dilution aspect 'We could have the current bunch plus all the singers in the North and West coming over to join us in the south end of the East. Or we could have families, bairns and posh folk () inflatrating us and diluting the the atmosphere and matchday experience, 'sit down', 'mind your language' 'put yer joint oot' etc '

i mentioned previously the manufactured atmosphere tricks that if used are contrary to the kind we're worrying about.

more questions than answers on the new stand improving vocal atmosphere imo.

Criswell
07-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I am rather intrigued with the work that will be carried out so that we comply with the planning consent.

I can imagine that some old codger will turn up every 2 or 3 years, dig a six inch square hole, then fill it in again.

Come to think of it, he will probably be made a director with a seat on the board. He'll have some title like: Chief Senior Head Total Pie-in-the Sky East Stand Development Executive.

Steady as she goes

Aye Aye Cap'n Tasche!

hibsbollah
07-10-2009, 08:06 PM

What sort of 'purpose' are the East Stand toilets not 'fit for'? Last time I checked you could do a dump in them:confused:

LancashireHibby
07-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I phoned the ticket office and asked if I could possibly buy 4 or 5 Cat B season tickets for the West Upper but they told me it wasn't possible as it was only available for the South stand.
I don't know what the problem is selling Cat B season tickets for the West as it is the same price as the South but anyway, they were not prepared to do it.
Think it's probably a case of these seats having to be 'cancelled' for Cat A games, along with the pricing issue of you being sat in a stand that is more expensive for season tickets. Not bad if only a handful do it, but once other people get wind of it, you have a bit of a logistical nightmare for the ticket office.

WindyMiller
07-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I am rather intrigued with the work that will be carried out so that we comply with the planning consent.

I can imagine that some old codger will turn up every 2 or 3 years, dig a six inch square hole, then fill it in again.

Come to think of it, he will probably be made a director with a seat on the board. He'll have some title like: Chief Senior Head Total Pie-in-the Sky East Stand Development Executive.

Steady as she goes

Aye Aye Cap'n Tasche!

Sniff!
Anyone that knows ER also knows that there is a lot of ground behind the East that will need cleared, foundations will need to be piled before any work can commence on the main structure and effect capacity.

Pedantic_Hibee
07-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm flying up to Edinburgh for the first time in over a year at the end of this month and will be taking in the Hibs v Aberdeen game.

I'll be dragging my old man and my uncle along to the match as well.

Of course, I'll be sat in the East. No other stand quite like it within ER. For all it's not got the plush chandeliers, urinals and all-round decent facilities......it p1sses all over the other 3 stands for matchday experience in it's purest form.

LancashireHibby
07-10-2009, 08:32 PM
it p1sses all over the other 3 stands for matchday experience in it's purest form.
Intentional pun? :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
07-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Intentional pun? :greengrin

You know me too well :greengrin

MB62
08-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Think it's probably a case of these seats having to be 'cancelled' for Cat A games, along with the pricing issue of you being sat in a stand that is more expensive for season tickets. Not bad if only a handful do it, but once other people get wind of it, you have a bit of a logistical nightmare for the ticket office.

Both stands are exactly the same price so that shouldn't be a problem.
They also have to cancel all the seats in the South Stand for Cat A games so I don't see where the problem is there either so that must still be a logistical nightmare for the ticket office.
Mind you, some of the dealings I have had with them and stories read on here, I think putting the key in the lock to open up the door in the morning sounds like a logistical nightmare for them at times.

Phil MaGlass
08-10-2009, 08:32 AM
There is no atmosphere left at ER so knocking down the east for a new stand wont make any difference.

Steve-O
08-10-2009, 09:28 AM

Also agree.

I will enjoy going to ER less (ok so I've not been for a while recently...) when the new stand is built, simple as that really.

I enjoy standing on my seat, being all bunched up, and celebrating a goal how it's supposed to be celebrated.

None of this standing up with some polite applause pish, I want to go "f***ing mental"...end of story! :agree:

Steve-O
08-10-2009, 09:31 AM
OK , a quick question, not meant in sarcasm or any preconcieved ideas. I just want genuine views.

Some posters seem to be suggesting that the current East atmosphere will be gone if it is replaced by another stand.

What is it about the current East stand that you feel can't be replicated in a new stand that would cause the atmosphere to go if it was replaced?

(Did that question make sense? I knew what I meant when I wrote it )

Roof too high, unable to stand on seats, backs on seats make it impossible to fall about the place like a radge when a goal is scored in the big games.

woody47
08-10-2009, 09:41 AM
I think the main problem with us ST holders in the east is that we want to keep the atmosphere it can generate and if a new stand is built, will it still have an atmosphere (although at times you can hear a pin drop just now).
I do, however, think it is short sightedness NOT to rebuild the stand as there is every chance that we would get cup semi finals and possible Scotland friendlies which would generate a lot of extra income.

We also have to look at the building costs which I would say are less right now due to the recession and builders just cannot afford to price themselves out of the market. Hold THEM to ransom. not the other way around.

As to the amount of fans we have, again, surely as we have invested in the team and we start winning more, this will bring the fans back but where would we seat them if we sell all the ST's available now.

With regards to the loos, it is the FANS fault that they are as bad as they are. Yes we could get better facilities but how many times do you see guys just pi££ing over seats, paper towels just thrown on the ground, loo rolls pulled off and left in the pi$$. Sorry but until people actually treat the facilities with respect, we will be left with what we have.

RIP
08-10-2009, 09:44 AM
I can only see 4 reasons why we shouldn't rebuild the East Stand

SPL crowds are falling
We do not need more capacity
We can't afford it
We need to focus on building Yogi a team

Speedway
08-10-2009, 09:46 AM
The East has never been the same since the coin sharpening machines got removed.

As for losing atmosphere, well there's no atmosphere to lose and plenty of money to gain, which is what football has been about for over 20 years now.

To return to the proper Lion's Den environments of yore, Hibs either need to be competing at the top or to bring back terracing.

Building a new East stand increases the likelihood of the former.

MB62
08-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Roof too high, unable to stand on seats, backs on seats make it impossible to fall about the place like a radge when a goal is scored in the big games.

Aye! really!

Obviously never been anywhere near me or the family then as it's never stopped us. :greengrin

Structures don't make atmospheres, it's the people that are in them that do that.

Keith_M
08-10-2009, 10:05 AM

I get the other points but I'm not convinced about the one in bold. I don't actually see how that would affect the atmosphere. There must be similar stands to the proposed new East (as mentioned the Hampden North and, dare I say it, Tynecastle) with high roofs that the atmosphere is as good if not better. Also, 500 fans in the South stand regularly make more noise than the East.

However, I do get the "radgeness" aspect. It's the nearest thing you can get nowadays to the old style terracing. If/when the new East is built, I think it should be under the condition that either NO family style tickets are sold for it or the family area is restricted to something like the last two section nearest the FF stand.

Antifa Hibs
08-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I get the other points but I'm not convinced about the one in bold. I don't actually see how that would affect the atmosphere. There must be similar stands to the proposed new East (as mentioned the Hampden North and, dare I say it, Tynecastle) with high roofs that the atmosphere is as good if not better. Also, 500 fans in the South stand regularly make more noise than the East.

However, I do get the "radgeness" aspect. It's the nearest thing you can get nowadays to the old style terracing. If/when the new East is built, I think it should be under the condition that either NO family style tickets are sold for it or the family area is restricted to something like the last two section nearest the FF stand.

Hibs need to emphasise that IMO.

The current set-up is perfect. EVERYONE is catered for. From the middle-class chino brigade in the West (:wink:) to the co-operates in the leather seats to the families in the North to the matchday going 'lads' in the south end of the East. Hibs still need to cater for all these groups, and will cater for them all except the last group probably.

Football clubs and managers are always banging on how important a good atmosphere is, lets see how much they mean it when the East does go up. A simple 'Blocks X, Y & Z are singing sections' would be suffice I reckon, but we'll see..........

Keith_M
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Football clubs and managers are always banging on how important a good atmosphere is, lets see how much they mean it when the East does go up. A simple 'Blocks X, Y & Z are singing sections' would be suffice I reckon, but we'll see..........

I'm with you on this one. Get the petition printed and you've got my signature.

AntifaHibs, the new "Radge fans representative"

:thumbsup:

Peevemor
08-10-2009, 10:23 AM
The current set-up is perfect. EVERYONE is catered for.

The view from the East is pitiful.

MB62
08-10-2009, 11:03 AM

But people don't go there to watch the game, they go there to be radges :wink: :greengrin

Joe Baker II
08-10-2009, 11:54 AM

No one is forced to go there!

Joe Baker II
08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I

With regards to the loos, it is the FANS fault that they are as bad as they are. Yes we could get better facilities but how many times do you see guys just pi££ing over seats, paper towels just thrown on the ground, loo rolls pulled off and left in the pi$$. Sorry but until people actually treat the facilities with respect, we will be left with what we have.

In 15 years since seats there I have never seen pi£££ing on seats! Agree about toilet rolls and towels though - that should not happen.

Sprouleflyer
08-10-2009, 12:00 PM
No one is forced to go there!

Hence the reason why it's only half full at most games outside the OF and Yams.

Disc O'Dave
08-10-2009, 12:00 PM
In 15 years since seats there I have never seen pi£££ing on seats! Agree about toilet rolls and towels though - that should not happen.

I'm guessing he meant the toilet seats....

Ritchie
08-10-2009, 12:15 PM
new stand = sitting down at football = crap

WindyMiller
08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Hence the reason why it's only half full at most games outside the OF and Yams.

Exactly!
I only go there now when the West is sold out, but there's been times when I've decided I can't be bothered with the p.poor view and watched it in the pub.

PaulSmith
08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
new stand = sitting down at football = crap

Strange quote considering your age, how many games can you remember attending where there was a terracing at Easter Road?

GreenCastle
08-10-2009, 01:04 PM
The new stand would have to have a signing section.

If you think it's corny or not - the reality is that if we do the atmosphere will improve and ER will be a louder place at weekends - even against lesser teams.

All you would have to do is have 3 or 4 blocks lower tier and I'm sure then the rest of the stand would join in.

johnrebus
08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
For me a large part of the problem regarding ' atmosphere ' is that ER is still a pretty ' open ', stadium and much of the noise is lost to the elements.

This could be improved by having the corners filled in with large wooden ( or otherwise ) adverting boardings blanking off these areas and hopefully keeping more of the noise inside the ground.

A bit like Tynecastle in fact ........,

:duck:

Hibs Giant
08-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Just leave the terracing as it is. If you don't like the toilets, then sit elsewhere. Or do you (those who are moaning) already sit elsewhere, but are worried about the people who have chosen to sit in the east?

Lets be honest, you just want something nice to look at. Don't you? Hm?

Peevemor
08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Just leave the terracing as it is. If you don't like the toilets, then sit elsewhere. Or do you (those who are moaning) already sit elsewhere, but are worried about the people who have chosen to sit in the east?

So what if, in order to retain the safety certificate, the club are forced to install 'folding' seats with backs like the other stands?

The east then become all seated with loads of pillars and crap sight lines.

Or do you want to take only a short term view? Hmm?

MB62
08-10-2009, 02:20 PM

You better believe it. It's not nice having to look over at a bunch of Stevie Fulton's every home game. :wink: :greengrin :tin hat: :duck:

Ritchie
08-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Strange quote considering your age, how many games can you remember attending where there was a terracing at Easter Road?

not strange at all considering my season ticket seat is right at the half way line of the terracing where everyone stands on the seat infront of their own.

i've not sat at Easter Road the whole time i've had my season ticket.... which has been since 1997/98.

Peevemor
08-10-2009, 02:24 PM
not strange at all considering my season ticket seat is right at the half way line of the terracing where everyone stands on the seat infront of their own.

i've not sat at Easter Road the whole time i've had my season ticket.... which has been since 1997/98.

I find that hard to believe, given that I used to regularly sit in the same area.

Ritchie
08-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I find that hard to believe, given that I used to regularly sit in the same area.

i can honestly say i have never sat in my seat during a game, no matter who we play.

always stand on the seat infront.... i sit in row Q and nobody in close proximity to my seat sits... people nearer the front of the stand sit, but not around where i sit and its been like that for aslong as i've sat there.

jgl07
08-10-2009, 03:40 PM
i can honestly say i have never sat in my seat during a game, no matter who we play.

always stand on the seat infront.... i sit in row Q and nobody in close proximity to my seat sits... people nearer the front of the stand sit, but not around where i sit and its been like that for aslong as i've sat there.
Aye wait until someone falls off the seat and breaks a leg.

The health and safety brigade will have the stand closed quicker than Nade can make it to a hamburger stand.

In any event the Herald reports today that Rod Petrie is off to see two contractors to see if a deal can be worked out.

It's all Rod playing hardball with the contractors to beat the price down. I think that the stand will go ahead.

Peevemor
08-10-2009, 03:42 PM

The health and safety brigade will have the stand closed quicker than Nade can make it to a hamburger stand.

In any event the Herald reports today that Rod Petrie is off to see two contractors to see if a deal can be worked out.

It's all Rod playing hardball with the contractors to beat the price down. I think that the stand will go ahead.

Ritchie
08-10-2009, 03:45 PM

that adds to the excitement!!

there is no better feeling than when we score against hearts and find yourself lying on your back 5 rows further down from your seat... LOVE IT!! :agree:

oconnors_strip
08-10-2009, 04:33 PM

well dont sit in it then, simple solution!

if you dont like something then dont do it:rolleyes:

when/IF the stand gets rebuilt what are people's opinions on being able to get seats beside the people you sit beside just now? there is a group of us who have sat near each other for years and have great banter etc etc, we have all said we want to have seats beside each other. will the club be flexible to fans?

wee 162
08-10-2009, 04:35 PM

How come it hasn't been closed in the roughly 15 years it has been exactly the same set up as now then?

woody47
08-10-2009, 10:12 PM

I meant the ones in the loo.:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
08-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Sat in the East for Brechin and St Johnstone cup games.

What a tip and the view sucks.

Its the supporters who make the noise and surely a bigger stand will mean a bigger noise.

Anyway I usually sit in the FF and have had no problem falling over the seats when we score against any of the bigger teams. And aye I do try to sing, but agree that it can be hard to get folk to join in :grr:

Perhaps if you could actually hear the sound coming out of the East it would encourage a bit more participation from the other stands.

Zondervan
08-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Let's be honest here, the Wheatfield at Tynecastle generates a much better atmosphere than our East Terracing. And that is what our new East will be like.

Also, what about our old "cowshed", "Dunbar End" and "Main Stand"?

We could have easily put cheap, ugly cantilever roofs (with obstructive pillars) over the Dunbar and cowshed to meet the Taylor Report requirement. And, as Hearts, have proved, our main stand would still have been "fit for purpose".

Would we have been happy with a patchwork stadium like Aberdeen, Motherwell, Dundee & Dundee United?

We have the chance to complete our stadium, which will make it one of the best in Scotland. OK, it might not be as big as Parkhead or Ibrox, but with the completion of the east it will be on par - if not better - than what the Bigot Brothers have.

Petrie & co have bottled it. Big Time.

Peevemor
08-10-2009, 11:55 PM
well dont sit in it then, simple solution!

if you dont like something then dont do it:rolleyes:

What's with the daft smiley? If you read my post you'd have seen that I was replying to antifa's assertion that the "current set up is perfect" - it's not.

By far the best atmosphere at ER in my time following Hibs was when the east was covered but not seated. The ground capacity was something like 25-27,000 and, even though the football was generally pretty poor, the place really bounced from time to time.

In comparison the east in it's current form is pish and for your informaion I did go somewhere else - first to the old North and Centre stands, then the new west. I left my friends sitting under the tv gantry because, funnily enough, when I go to the football I want to watch the match and I find that being able to see all of the pitch adds to the experience.

Steve-O
09-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Believe it - I stood there for the last 2 years before I came to NZ and stood on the seat during every single game, for the ENTIRE game. Right under the TV gantry, towards the back :agree:

Peevemor
09-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Believe it - I stood there for the last 2 years before I came to NZ and stood on the seat during every single game, for the ENTIRE game. Right under the TV gantry, towards the back :agree:

I left Edinburgh in 2004 and it was becoming more common then for some people to stand during the entire match. However, I was responding to Ritchie who said he'd been doing this since 1998, when well after that there were times when the stewards and police went about making people to sit down.

Therefore, I still find it hard to believe that someone could avoid stitting during at least part of a match during the last 11 years.

Phil MaGlass
09-10-2009, 09:58 AM

People were also sprining ankles in the old stadium without seats and today are still spraining ankles walking up and down the stairs at ER,so wether they fall over a seat because they are standing up doesnt really hold up but only IMO.

Steve-O
09-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I left Edinburgh in 2004 and it was becoming more common then for some people to stand during the entire match. However, I was responding to Ritchie who said he'd been doing this since 1998, when well after that there were times when the stewards and police went about making people to sit down.

Therefore, I still find it hard to believe that someone could avoid stitting during at least part of a match during the last 11 years.

I used to stand nearer the South end before I moved to the centre, and everytime I looked over to my future seat, people were always standing IIRC.

Davy Mac
10-10-2009, 06:37 AM
It's a pity Scotland didnae win the Euros or something as I'm sure the East could have been paid for that way.

Also, if the board felt they could afford it then judging the way RP has been running the club over the years then he would have build it by now - no question.

I gave up the East quite some time ago but it's great to read so much passion and loyalty for something that's totally unfit for purpose.

It has to happen sooner rather than later and when the economic situation settles it will be built but I'll no be rushing back to the East as you cannae see right when the sun shines.........:cool2::greengrin

Barney McGrew
10-10-2009, 07:21 AM
It's amazing to see the different views on what the future of the East is, but it seems to be fairly well split down the middle. There's the people who sit in the East now and aren't really too bothered if it stays as it is, because we actually like it. Then there's the people who sit in other parts of the ground because the East isn't 'fit for purpose' and doesn't look very nice.

Everyone has a choice right now, and there's still seats at every home match for those who want to sit in other parts of the ground. Until it gets to point where those people are not going to games because they can't get a seat then those of us who are happy to watch our football in less sanitised surroundings should be left to get on with it. Do we need a nicely painted food kiosk that sells the same poor food that you get in other ares of the ground? Is it really that important to have a spanking white urinal to go to over peeing against a wall?

I'd guess that if you asked the season ticket holders in the East if they'd rather have a shiny new stand, where the likelhood is they'd be told to sit down to watch the game or leave things as they are just now, then I'm sure what the sizeable majority would say.

And it's also a well known fact that the world would stop if we didn't have the gates to touch on the way out :wink:

divot
10-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I trust the board to be doing the right thing. Again.

Agreed 100% - the ES is good enough for what we need at the moment, keep the atmosphere, bank the money, keep paying down the debt, keep it under control. The debts are falling and the team will inevitably come. Petrie will be seen as the genius he has been after he has gone, and many of our league neighbours are imploding under their debts.

Keep the faith.

P.s. Petrie get it sorted! :grr:

:wink:

jgl07
10-10-2009, 11:51 PM
The new stand would have to have a signing section.

A good idea. Bring the prospective players around the East terrace before they put their name on the dotted line!

Ritchie
12-10-2009, 09:27 AM

i stood through the season we got relegated & the season in the first division.... have stood ever since.

Ed De Gramo
12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
yes the toilets and catering facilities are shocking but these can be improved without rebuliding the stand. knock the wee buildings down and build new toilets (with more female ones!!) and catering kiosks with modern equipment. there is plenty room there for them to be built wider than whats there just now.

get the fans coming back week after week for the next 3-4 years then hibs should think about building the new stand.

Amen to that