PDA

View Full Version : Latest from hibs.net: An 'Eck of a Team

DaveF
06-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Andrew Jeffrey writes for the front page and offers up some thoughts on the current team....

http://www.hibs.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=799&Itemid=1

rainman
07-10-2009, 02:57 AM
For Liam Miller and Kevin McBride read John O’Neil and Matthias Jack, Russel Latapy, also known as, Merouane Zemmama. Anthony Stokes see Mixu Paatelainen. Substitute Zitelli for Deek and for Ian Murray read Ulrik Laursen this all leads me to my point: we are one Franck Sauzee away from being successful under Yogi Hughes’ Green and White Army. The industrious yet subtle pairing of Miller and McBride allows for the dynamic, effervescent Zemmama to show off his mercurial skills and Stokes alongside the talent of Deek, Benji and Nish will provide goals from all angles. Having said all that we lack a leader, a defender who plays with panache and the ability to defend yet dictate play, we lack a Franck Sauzee character. Guys like Sauzee don’t come around often but I think we’ve missed the boat in not re-signing Guillaume Beuzelin – he would have been ideal alongside Bamba or Hogg.

Agree with many of the similarities but have to disagree with the last sentence. Can you imagine corners and cross balls coming into the box with Boozy and Hogg as central defenders. Especially with Stack behind them.

Of course a "Frank Sauzee" would complete the team but even a "Paul Fenwick" would make a massive difference to our results IMO.

Phil D. Rolls
07-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Good article, but as Ian Murray played in McLeish's teams, I wouldn't sybstitute him for Ulrik Laursen.

bawheid
07-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Agree with many of the similarities but have to disagree with the last sentence. Can you imagine corners and cross balls coming into the box with Boozy and Hogg as central defenders. Especially with Stack behind them.

Of course a "Frank Sauzee" would complete the team but even a "Paul Fenwick" would make a massive difference to our results IMO.

I had thought the writer was proposing Boozy as a sweeper/libero behind two central defenders, a la Fenwick Sauzee Smith. I agree a CB pairing of Hogg and Boozy is not desirable!

Not sure Fenwick would improve our defence tbh. Was made to look good alongside Sauzee, but anytime he played with one other central defensive partner he was poor IMO.

sambajustice
07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
So basically, we're needing a Champions League winner with at least 40 odd caps to his name playing in our back line, lets think of some candidates...

Ferdinand
Puyol
Hyypia (sp?)

stevo23
07-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I believe one Sol Campbell is currently without club....................:devil:

shamo9
08-10-2009, 12:13 AM
What's this about Burley saying it's Riordan's last chance:confused:

Kato
08-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Sorry but I'm struggling to see some of the similarities between the players mentioned.

e.g.

Liam Miller and Kevin McBride read John O’Neil and Matthias Jack

Nope??

Anthony Stokes see Mixu Paatelainen.

Not really, no.

Zitelli for Deek

Slightly there except one is really really prolific and the other wasn't.

....and finally Boozy, although I love him dearly, couldn't lace Sauzee's boots.

Zemmamma and Latapy. Maybe surprisingly I find this the least viable pairing. One's a maverick, still young and occasionally selfish, the other was a matured team player in every game - Latas took as much joy out of hurting the opposition with a pass or assist as he did by "going for glory".

Don't forget it took "Big Eck" 2 and half years to get to the peak of his, cough, success, then a year later he was off (after chatting with Murray for 6 months).

Yogi's been here a matter of weeks.

Sorry mate don't mean to be a downer on your article but I fail to see what your getting at.

Also I'm struggling to recall any "success" Ginger Baws brought to Easter Road.

Onceinawhile
08-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Agree with the post above

Zitelli for Deek? They couldn't be much more different.

Stokes and Mixu :faf::faf:

Hibercelona
08-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Agree with the post above

Zitelli for Deek? They couldn't be much more different.

Stokes and Mixu :faf::faf:

:agree:

David only scored 10 goals in 51 league appearances for Hibs.... nothing compared to Derek's goal ratio.

Mixu scored 32 goals in 93 appearances for Hibs.... Which isnt a bad ratio at all.... But I reckon (fingers crossed) if we are able to keep Anthony at Hibs for 2-3 seasons.... His goal ratio will be better than Mixu's was.

I know goal ratio isnt that useful at comparing players styles.... but just thought I would share the info. :agree:

Onceinawhile
08-10-2009, 01:02 AM
:agree:

David only scored 10 goals in 51 league appearances for Hibs.... nothing compared to Derek's goal ratio.

Mixu scored 32 goals in 93 appearances for Hibs.... Which isnt a bad ratio at all.... But I reckon (fingers crossed) if we are able to keep Anthony at Hibs for 2-3 seasons.... His goal ratio will be better than Mixu's was.

I know goal ratio isnt that useful at comparing players styles.... but just thought I would share the info. :agree:

Mixu was a target man with the pace of a sea turtle ( a slow one at that) his goal scoring was secondary to his game, he held it up for others, stokes is nothing like that. Zitelli, like Deek was a set piece master, but Zitell's corners are still the greatest I've ever seen in the white and green.

Hibercelona
08-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Mixu was a target man with the pace of a sea turtle ( a slow one at that) his goal scoring was secondary to his game, he held it up for others, stokes is nothing like that. Zitelli, like Deek was a set piece master, but Zitell's corners are still the greatest I've ever seen in the white and green.

I would say the closest player in our current team to Mixu's style of play would be Colin Nish.

Target man & holds the ball up well..... and does f@rk all else :wink:

Zitelli did indeed have a cracking cross on him.... he could cross a ball with some incredible pace. :agree:

I reckon we will see similar quality of crossing from Miller this season.

rainman
08-10-2009, 01:40 AM
I had thought the writer was proposing Boozy as a sweeper/libero behind two central defenders, a la Fenwick Sauzee Smith. I agree a CB pairing of Hogg and Boozy is not desirable!

Not sure Fenwick would improve our defence tbh. Was made to look good alongside Sauzee, but anytime he played with one other central defensive partner he was poor IMO.

Your probably right. I was making the point that any defender who is dominant in the air would make a difference to our team.

Hard to believe Jones got as much stick as he did considering what we went through before him and what our defence looks like again now.