PDA

View Full Version : The "First Touch" list

bigwheel
06-10-2009, 08:03 PM
As it is international fitba week, let's celebrate some Hibs "first touch" legends of past and present. Who did you admire for their first touch? You know the one - they could take a ball under control no matter the height or pace.... I'l start with:

David Murphy - maybe lacked a wee bit pace but his ability to control any pass was always a joy to watch.

Broken Gnome
06-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Riordan when he takes it inside a man on his right foot.
Sauzee probably had a not too bad either...

Hibernian Verse
06-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Zemmama :agree:

hibees59
06-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Murphy, to me, had the best first touch of any player that I've seen.

jgl07
06-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Keith Wright.

He could trap a ball further than I could kick it!

Bunter
06-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Kevin McAllister. :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
06-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Willie Hamilton

Bobby Johnstone

Pat Quinn

Pat Stanton

Gordon Smith

hibee_patty
06-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Kevin Thomson used to be good at bringing the ball down from any height with the inside of his foot.

ancient hibee
06-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Benny Brazil, Guile, craft, ingenuity, touch, balance and a cracking hair style
That covers his bus driving -what about football?

Tomsk
06-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Stevie Archibald

Irish_Steve
06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I remember Russell Latapy`s first game when the ball came out of the air and he trapped it stone dead - there was almost an audible gasp from the crowd as we hadn`t witnessed that level of skill for a very long time. Ever see Lee Power trap the ball, no, me neither!

Jim44
06-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I remember Russell Latapy`s first game when the ball came out of the air and he trapped it stone dead - there was almost an audible gasp from the crowd as we hadn`t witnessed that level of skill for a very long time. Ever see Lee Power trap the ball, no, me neither!

:agree: Latapy ther king of ball control.

heidtheba
06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I second the vote for Kevin McAllister...wee crunchie was my absolute fave player when I first started watching. I remember getting into football thanks to a mate who took me to ER. First match was 93/94 and we lost to Rangers but it was a 4-3 game. Bought season ticket for 94/95 and the following year. I remember reading about Rangers putting in a bid of £2m for McAllister and me saying 'get tae'...not realising it was the other (less good) McAllister!

Hamilton_Hibs
06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Always remember Sauzee bringing the ball down as the last defender, facing his own goal with two forwards bearing down on him. Sauzee managed to bring the ball down, change direction and make it through the middle of the two forwards all in one movement. Class.

Can't remember who we were playing though? Might have been one of the old firm, Im sure someone will remember the one i am talking about...

hibbykeef
06-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Done it against Livy semi of the Scottish as i recall,but then again mibees no.

Shrekko
06-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Liam Miller has a tremendous first touch as well.

Perspective
06-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Always remember Sauzee bringing the ball down as the last defender, facing his own goal with two forwards bearing down on him. Sauzee managed to bring the ball down, change direction and make it through the middle of the two forwards all in one movement. Class.

Can't remember who we were playing though? Might have been one of the old firm, Im sure someone will remember the one i am talking about...

He flicked it over his head but I can't remember who that was against either.

Murphy and Whittaker both had excellent close control in recent terms. Murphy, in particular, never seemed to have to break stride on receiving the ball.

millarco
06-10-2009, 09:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWf3W_m9ueY&feature=PlayList&p=1F1020B329A84504&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

:not worth

Done it against Livy semi of the Scottish as i recall,but then again mibees no.

:agree:

Storar
06-10-2009, 09:35 PM

Was against Livi in the Scottish Cup semi in 2001, genius!

Storar
06-10-2009, 09:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHzjde0vgk&feature=related
Great first touch here. Instead of blasting it straight away he takes a wee touch and sends Tall and Elvis flying :not worth

SpiderHibs
06-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Always remember Willie Miller as having a pretty good first touch, particularly high balls cleared out of the opposition's defence.

Jonnyboy
06-10-2009, 10:22 PM

He couldnae trap his fingers in a door never mind trap a ball :greengrin

Latapy

Murphy

Stanton

Stevenson (Eric)

to name but a few

jakedance
06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Always remember Willie Miller as having a pretty good first touch, particularly high balls cleared out of the opposition's defence.

Beat me to it. A real favourite of mine.

wee 162
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Surprised at no mentions for John Collins. Can always mind during the warm ups when he was with us that everyone else on the park was basically ****ing about, and he was continually taking the ball at pace and pulling it completely under his control. He even timed tackles so that he was not only winning the ball but getting it under control while he was doing it. Fabulous player for us.

And almost as good as Latapy skill wise. That's about as high a compliment as I can pay anyone fwiw.

Kato
06-10-2009, 11:28 PM
If the internet had existed 30 years ago this would have been thought of as a pretty weird thread - a decent to good first touch should be de-riguor for a pro footballer.

Saying that I was brought up in Niddrie Mill, where if you couldn't trap and kill a ball from all angles by the time you were 7 you were made to practice by "bigger boys" until you could, as it was seen to bringing the tone of the area down.

Alex Edwards BTW, sublime.

zero-seven
06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
george best
Alex cropley
Alec Edwards
Mr Sauzee
Saint Patrick of Stanton
Russell Latapy

all great

broonie27
07-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Zemmama by a country mile. I remember one game a couple of years back he was absolutely whoooring down the wing toward the Dunbar end and a lofted ball came to him at nearly chest hight. Without hardly changing his striding rhythm he took the ball down in full flight carried on down the wing and crossed in a fantastic ball .... which nobody scored from.

Septimus
07-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Stevie Archibald

I'll second that.

O'Rourke3
07-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Very surprised no mention of Hurtado.

erin-go-bragh87
07-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Very surprised no mention of Hurtado.

:faf:

Has to be Latapy for me, absolute genius with the ball at his feet.

Also when Deek takes that first touch to bring him inside a defender!!

duffers
07-10-2009, 10:39 AM

I remember it aswell, but i thought it was against Aberdeen no?

Zimmy
07-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Willie Hamilton, nobody comes close.

Craig_in_Prague
07-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Mixu, if it hit his gut :duck:

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I second the vote for Kevin McAllister...wee crunchie was my absolute fave player when I first started watching. I remember getting into football thanks to a mate who took me to ER. First match was 93/94 and we lost to Rangers but it was a 4-3 game. Bought season ticket for 94/95 and the following year. I remember reading about Rangers putting in a bid of £2m for McAllister and me saying 'get tae'...not realising it was the other (less good) McAllister!

I take it thats a wind up!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Surprised at no mentions for John Collins. Can always mind during the warm ups when he was with us that everyone else on the park was basically ****ing about, and he was continually taking the ball at pace and pulling it completely under his control. He even timed tackles so that he was not only winning the ball but getting it under control while he was doing it. Fabulous player for us.

And almost as good as Latapy skill wise. That's about as high a compliment as I can pay anyone fwiw.

Couldnae agree more! :agree:

Hibee87
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Colin nish :thumbsup:

HIBEETILLIDIE
07-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Alex Edwards
John Brownlie
John Blackley
Pat Quinn
Eric Stevenson
Ally McLeod
George Best
Frank Sauzee
Russell Latapy
David Murphy
Andy Goram-first touch was always a great save, sometimes the second was goal-for us!
Zemamma
Riordan
Steve Archibald

There you go pick a team from that lot!

aberhibsfc
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
'The First Touch' - Graham Rix Autobiography

joe breezy
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Murphy, to me, had the best first touch of any player that I've seen.

joe breezy
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
'The First Touch' - Graham Rix Autobiography

:faf:

McSwanky
07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Paul Hartley. I remember his first first touch for us, took th ball down and killed it stone dead from a v speedy cross field ball.....

hibsdaft
07-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Konte.

Peevemor
07-10-2009, 12:14 PM

I remember it aswell, but i thought it was against Aberdeen no?

He definitely did that in the Livi semi, where in fact he didn't trap the ball but flicked it over his shoulder and turned, leaving the 2 fowards to run past him and look a bit daft.

I'm surprised there's been no mention of Dave Beaumont. His first touch for Hibs was a league cup medal.

MacBean
07-10-2009, 03:06 PM
AOB :devil:

mjhibby
07-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Between archibald sauzee and latapy for me with archibald just shading it.A magnificent footballer and if they ever repeat the documentary about his career watch it as it shows what a player he was and how lucky(like sauzee and latapy)that he played for us.

hibsbollah
07-10-2009, 04:31 PM
As it is international fitba week, let's celebrate some Hibs "first touch" legends of past and present. Who did you admire for their first touch? You know the one - they could take a ball under control no matter the height or pace.... I'l start with:

David Murphy - maybe lacked a wee bit pace but his ability to control any pass was always a joy to watch.

Murphys first touch was consistently excellent:agree:

soupy
07-10-2009, 04:34 PM

Am thinking it was utd up at tannadice??

Haymaker
07-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Didnt Le God do the flick over Marck Burchills head? IIRC it was when Burchill was "Scotlands Michael Owen" according the to Weegies and Sauzee marked him so far out of the game it was like he wasnae there!

I think Kenny Miller scored two? IIRC it was a 2-2 result... Maybe wrong, it was a long time ago.

lEXO
07-10-2009, 04:40 PM

JC,s first touch was great.:top marks

Captain Trips
07-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Sauzee and Latapy of this era for sure.

IMHO though, Pele and Maradona etc had everything, I have never seen anyone whom had the first touch and instant control as Dennis Bergkamp.

Haymaker
07-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Sauzee and Latapy of this era for sure.

IMHO though, Pele and Maradona etc had everything, I have never seen anyone whom had the first touch and instant control as Dennis Bergkamp.

Bergkamp was a different class. Top, top player.

euro Hibby
07-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Geroge Best and steve archibald. The latter was not fast so he needed a great touch to play at such a high level. I might add Alex Edwards.

heidtheba
07-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I take it thats a wind up!!

Sadly no but I realise now that it was more my football nievety but I loved watchin Crunchie and always loved him when we played hertz especially.

Was also never a fan of Gary McAllister. Didn't he play against us one pre-season for Coventry? Bouth 96 ish?