PDA

View Full Version : Scotland in Japan - Waste of time or not

iwasthere1972
06-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Especially with all the call offs. Steven Naismith just withdrawn as I "speak". Scott Brown will probably be another withdrawal.

Travelling to the other side of the world to play in a meaningless match for a diddy trophy that only two teams are playing for.

I just can't see the point.

Anyone know if all the expenses are met by the Japanese or is Scotland footing the bill?

scott7_0(Prague)
06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I fully back the Scotland team every time but this trip for me is a waste of time........

heretoday
06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Travel broadens the mind. Makes you realise there's more to the world than the X-Box, the mobile and the inside of a BMW.

iwasthere1972
06-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Travel broadens the mind. Makes you realise there's more to the world than the X-Box, the mobile and the inside of a BMW.

You can't be serious. Geisha break.

Forza Fred
06-10-2009, 02:36 PM
If I was in charge of the Scotland set up I'd be playing as many matches as I possibly could, anywhere I could.

I don't see us as being so football knowledgable/wise that we can afford not to play against various nations form different confederations.

Should we ever manage to make another WC finals ever again, it is likely that we would be drawn in a group with Asian opposition.

If we only ever play European nations, then we will be less experienced in a world wide context than we could have been.

Presumably, that is the only reason Japan have agreed to play us...to get some experience playing against a European style of play before they go to South Africa.

Sylar
06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
The players would otherwise be off doing nothing, as there are no games scheduled anyway. The SPL is off on account of the other international teams playing, and, as most European teams are playing qualification fixtures that day, we were always going to have to travel. The North/South American qualifiers are also taking place this weekend, thus ruling out those continents, and if Japan offered Scotland a friendly, with a chance to play pressure free football, try out new players etc. then why would we turn down the chance?

That's my Devil's Advocate answer - I personally think it's a pointless fixture, as it is going to impact on the SPL clubs with many players returning tired and taking a few days to recover from a rediculous jetlagging effect. Most of the young players who are "decent prospects" will be representing the U21's this weekend, the "top international stars" will no doubt pull out injured (Naismith, Fox, Snodgrass, Thomson, Maloney and O'Conner have already withdrawn, and no doubt players like Brown, McFadden* and a couple others) will follow suit, thus leaving it to the fringe squad players to try and impress. These guys coming in aren't likely to be regular squad players, as they're simply not good enough.

*McFadden is a great player, but he's as guilty as any OF player for withdrawing from meaningless games.

Jim44
06-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I've no objection to this far off game. All the call-offs might force Burley to try out different things and different players instead of the old routine. Hey, even Riordan might get a bit of the action.

iwasthere1972
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
If I was in charge of the Scotland set up I'd be playing as many matches as I possibly could, anywhere I could.

I don't see us as being so football knowledgable/wise that we can afford not to play against various nations form different confederations.

Should we ever manage to make another WC finals ever again, it is likely that we would be drawn in a group with Asian opposition.

If we only ever play European nations, then we will be less experienced in a world wide context than we could have been.

Presumably, that is the only reason Japan have agreed to play us...to get some experience playing against a European style of play before they go to South Africa.

Even if we qualify for the 2014 World Cup (5 years away) I don't expect many of the players playing in Japan, including the manager and backroom staff, will be around at that time. Our next aim is to qualify for the Euro 2012 which will obviously be against European teams so totally unnecessary trip to the Far East.

It will benefit Japan more than it will Scotland.

s.a.m
06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Too far away.

basehibby
06-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Of course it's not a waste of time - these matches are vital in terms of trying new players, formations, tactics or whatever else out - and would you rather that the first time a player travelled any distance to play for Scotland, it was for a vital match so that said player would have absolutely no idea about the way that jet lag etc. might affect their performance???

Sylar
06-10-2009, 02:59 PM
I've no objection to this far off game. All the call-offs might force Burley to try out different things and different players instead of the old routine. Hey, even Riordan might get a bit of the action.

Looking at the squad, I think most Hibs fans will be fuming if he doesn't start to be honest:

Goalkeepers:

Gordon
Langfield
Marshall

Defenders

Berra
Hutton
Wallace
Barr
G.Caldwell
McManus
Whittaker

Midfielders:
Adam
Dorrans
Fletcher
Robertson
Brown
Ross Wallace

Forwards:
Lee Miller
Fletcher
Riordan

basehibby
06-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Even if we qualify for the 2014 World Cup (5 years away) I don't expect many of the players playing in Japan, including the manager and backroom staff, will be around at that time. Our next aim is to qualify for the Euro 2012 which will obviously be against European teams so totally unnecessary trip to the Far East.

It will benefit Japan more than it will Scotland.

Don't you think you'd get jetlagged travelling to Kazakistan then?

PC Stamp
06-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Agree. Playing for your country is playing for your country. OK with it being in Japan it's not just a case where you Nippon a plane and you're there ... but I'm sure the guys going will be quite happy to be there.

Woody1985
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM

As opposed to leaving on a bus to go to an airport, sit on a plane, go through another airport, straight to a hotel with some pitches, to the stadium and repeat in reverse.

The Scots players I'd imagine will see very little of Japan and Japanese culture.

It's good to play against different styles and physices but I think that taking the players this far is a bit much for a one off game. I do think that a game is worthwhile though.

CB_NO3
06-10-2009, 03:04 PM

We play anything but like a European team, European teams are all technical gifted, keep the ball and defend well. We are more like a pub team.

Forza Fred
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
We play anything but like a European team, European teams are all technical gifted, keep the ball and defend well. We are more like a pub team.

don't tell Japan.

They might cancel the fixture.

Steve20
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Yes. It is a complete waste of time.

silverhibee
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM

With all these call-offs i would expect Riordan to be starting the game.

Forza Fred
06-10-2009, 03:11 PM
The players would otherwise be off doing nothing, as there are no games scheduled anyway. The SPL is off on account of the other international teams playing, and, as most European teams are playing qualification fixtures that day, we were always going to have to travel. The North/South American qualifiers are also taking place this weekend,

As are Asian Cup qualifiers.

Australia are playing Holland in Sydney in a 'friendly' on Wednesday in preparation for facing Oman in the Asian cup in Melbourne on Saturday.

Woody1985
06-10-2009, 03:12 PM

:faf:

Phil MaGlass
06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I dont think its a waste of time to play the fixture as it will give fringe players a chance to shine, just look at Riordon, may never have got a chance otherwise.The only thing thats gettin oan ma goat is the fact its not on the telly,we were sortin out a day with the lads to start 12ish, oor time,now we will just have to play pool and avoid happy englishmen.
Oh aye its aboot time Wallace got his call up.

iwasthere1972
06-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Scott Brown now called off.

The fixture is now becoming a bit of a farce when you consider most of the players going to Japan will only be there to make up the numbers.

Andy74
06-10-2009, 03:39 PM
For the odd player, like Riordan, its worthwhile, but on the whole we are not really learning much. We are so far away from playing a competitive game that there's nothing which can be worked on and so few first choice players that it can't be ticked up to a bonding and gelling exercise.

So, overall a waste of time I think.

H18sry
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
The players would otherwise be off doing nothing, as there are no games scheduled anyway. The SPL is off on account of the other international teams playing, and, as most European teams are playing qualification fixtures that day, we were always going to have to travel. The North/South American qualifiers are also taking place this weekend, thus ruling out those continents, and if Japan offered Scotland a friendly, with a chance to play pressure free football, try out new players etc. then why would we turn down the chance?

That's my Devil's Advocate answer - I personally think it's a pointless fixture, as it is going to impact on the SPL clubs with many players returning tired and taking a few days to recover from a rediculous jetlagging effect. Most of the young players who are "decent prospects" will be representing the U21's this weekend, the "top international stars" will no doubt pull out injured (Naismith, Fox, Snodgrass, Thomson, Maloney and O'Conner have already withdrawn, and no doubt players like Brown, McFadden* and a couple others) will follow suit, thus leaving it to the fringe squad players to try and impress. These guys coming in aren't likely to be regular squad players, as they're simply not good enough.

*McFadden is a great player, but he's as guilty as any OF player for withdrawing from meaningless games.

McFadden was not included in the original squad as he was injured and not expected to be fit to travel. [ I know he played Saturday :devil: ]

ancienthibby
06-10-2009, 03:58 PM
With all these call-offs i would expect Riordan to be starting the game.

I think he would have started anyway, to be honest - but now with Fletch as his partner rather than GazO.

The defence remains solid and the midfield not too bad, so I would expect that this is a major opportunity for Deeks and Fletch to state their claim to be the starters for the next Euro campaign!!

(In every cloud.....):greengrin

Tha Cabbage Kid
06-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Looking at the squad, I think most Hibs fans will be fuming if he doesn't start to be honest:

Goalkeepers:

Gordon
Langfield
Marshall

Defenders

Berra
Hutton
Wallace
Barr
G.Caldwell
McManus
Whittaker

Midfielders:
Adam
Dorrans
Fletcher
Robertson
Brown
Ross Wallace

Forwards:
Lee Miller
Fletcher
Riordan

i know there are a few players out but where are the rest of the B squad players to make up the numbers? where are all these players?

Goalkeepers:
Neil Alexander
Mark Brown

Defenders
Ian Murray
Graham Alexander
Jamie McAllister
Gary Naismith
James McEvery
Callum Davidson
Steven Smith
Kirk Broadfoot
Lee Wilkie

Midfielders:
Gary Teale
James Morrison
Chris Commons
Paul Hartley
Barry Robson
Gavin Rae
Stephen Pearson
Lee McCulloch

Forwards:
Kevin Kyle
David Clarkson
Chris Iwelumo
that other boyd?

are all these guys injured as well????:confused::confused::confused:

lEXO
06-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Dont think it,s a waste of time.It gives him a chance to try out players who might have to be brought into the squad at a later date.Gives them a chance to see what international football is about and try out form players like Deeks and Wallace etc.If he finds a couple of guys that can add to our squad it will be worthwile IMO.

VegasHibby
07-10-2009, 04:49 PM
There are no games anyway so why not fit in a friendly. It can only be positive. It's great for Deeks getting the experience and will no doubt do his confidence alot of good

jdships
07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
There are no games anyway so why not fit in a friendly. It can only be positive. It's great for Deeks getting the experience and will no doubt do his confidence alot of good

Agree with your take on having a game
BUT an 11000 mile round trip :dizzy:
Surely doesn't make sense in the middle of a season.
Once flew roughly the same distance (Glasgow/Hong Kong and back ) in four days and was knackered for at least two days when I got home !
Certainly it was a good few years ago when planes still had outside toilets but nevertheless was tiring !!!

:greengrin:greengrin

Ed De Gramo
07-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Going all that distance for a meaningless friendly...here's praying Deeks doesn't get crocked...

Alicky Ranks
09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Complete and utter waste of time and money. There are several players in there for the sole purpose of making up the numbers and who will never be in a Scotland squad again. The fact Burley is still involved with the Scotland squad is, I suspect, also a factor in the number of call-offs.

woody47
09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Especially with all the call offs. Steven Naismith just withdrawn as I "speak". Scott Brown will probably be another withdrawal.

Travelling to the other side of the world to play in a meaningless match for a diddy trophy that only two teams are playing for.

I just can't see the point.

Anyone know if all the expenses are met by the Japanese or is Scotland footing the bill?

It's called commitment. This was arranged as a possible friendly for us on the premise that we would reach the WC finals. So as a nation we have to honour that commitment.
Is is also another chance for fringe players to show the management team (I could think of other descriptions but could get sued) what they can do.

--------
09-10-2009, 07:36 PM
It's called commitment. This was arranged as a possible friendly for us on the premise that we would reach the WC finals. So as a nation we have to honour that commitment.
Is is also another chance for fringe players to show the management team (I could think of other descriptions but could get sued) what they can do.

The Japanese manager's beginning to think it's a waste fo time for HIS team - he wanted a decent game, and what he's got is a squad of fringe players and hopefuls to play against.

Even if we had qualified for the WC Finals - and who really expected that? - I think this game is too far away and at the wrong time of the season.

They'd better do no damage to our Deek. We want him back in working order.

Cocaine&Caviar
09-10-2009, 08:02 PM
____________Gordon

Whittaker___Berra___McManus___Wallace

Dorrans__Caldwell___Adam___Wallace

________Riordan___Fletcher

is the best team we could put out IMO

Hibbyradge
09-10-2009, 08:56 PM
The hysteria surrounding this game is extraordinary.

These fixtures are agreed months, if not years, in advance.

If we had, or were close to qualifying, this game would have been a master stroke by the SFA.

A different continent, a different style of play and a chance for the squad to bond.

Folk want to make a lot about the distance. Big wows.

The players have a full 2 weeks between their club games, FFS.

It won't affect any of them badly at all.

Get a grip.

Danderhall Hibs
09-10-2009, 09:09 PM
The hysteria surrounding this game is extraordinary.

These fixtures are agreed months, if not years, in advance.

If we had, or were close to qualifying, this game would have been a master stroke by the SFA.

A different continent, a different style of play and a chance for the squad to bond.

Folk want to make a lot about the distance. Big wows.

The players have a full 2 weeks between their club games, FFS.

It won't affect any of them badly at all.

Get a grip.

:agree: Big wows indeed.

Who else could we have played? All the other European teams are playing WC qualifiers so we had to go outwith the European border.

heretoday
09-10-2009, 09:11 PM
I think this game is gonna be pretty interesting. There will be a good crowd anyway. The Japanese don't stint when it comes to supporting their national team.

Allant1981
09-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I dont think its a waste of time to play the fixture as it will give fringe players a chance to shine, just look at Riordon, may never have got a chance otherwise.The only thing thats gettin oan ma goat is the fact its not on the telly,we were sortin out a day with the lads to start 12ish, oor time,now we will just have to play pool and avoid happy englishmen.
Oh aye its aboot time Wallace got his call up.

Is it not on BBC 2

Danderhall Hibs
09-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Is it not on BBC 2

:agree: Bu tI don't think that had been decided/announced at the time of Phil's post.

Sir David Gray
09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
:agree: Big wows indeed.

Who else could we have played? All the other European teams are playing WC qualifiers so we had to go outwith the European border.

That's not absolutely correct.

There are a few European teams who aren't playing tomorrow and although most of them are minnows, we could have played against Northern Ireland or Croatia, both of whom play their final qualifying match on Wednesday and are not playing tomorrow.

Danderhall Hibs
09-10-2009, 10:13 PM
That's not absolutely correct.

There are a few European teams who aren't playing tomorrow and although most of them are minnows, we could have played against Northern Ireland or Croatia, both of whom play their final qualifying match on Wednesday and are not playing tomorrow.

So ruling out the minnows then and given we played NI a few months ago - we could've played Croatia? Are they having the weekend off?

Sir David Gray
09-10-2009, 10:20 PM
So ruling out the minnows then and given we played NI a few months ago - we could've played Croatia? Are they having the weekend off?

Yes, they have one qualifying match remaining and it's on Wednesday.

By looking at the fixture list for tomorrow, it doesn't look as though they have any friendly match set up. I think they would have been excellent opposition.

Although I accept that you don't normally play two friendly matches against the same country in such a short space of time, we did play Northern Ireland more than a year ago.

Danderhall Hibs
09-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Yes, they have one qualifying match remaining and it's on Wednesday.

By looking at the fixture list for tomorrow, it doesn't look as though they have any friendly match set up. I think they would have been excellent opposition.

Although I accept that you don't normally play two friendly matches against the same country in such a short space of time, we did play Northern Ireland more than a year ago.

Was it really? It doesn't feel like that long ago.

I suppose Croatia would be silly to take on a friendly when they have a big game midweek. NI are probably in a similar position.

Leaving us with Japan. Or Australia. :greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
10-10-2009, 10:04 AM
____________Gordon

Whittaker___Berra___McManus___Wallace

Dorrans__Caldwell___Adam___Wallace

________Riordan___Fletcher

is the best team we could put out IMO

Only two off :thumbsup: