PDA

View Full Version : Goal Celebrations

Phil D. Rolls
06-10-2009, 12:14 PM
As we all know, referees have instructions to book players for over zealously celebrating a goal. IIRC that instruction came from FIFA.

The same FIFA that have agreed with Coca Cola that there should be a prize for the most unique goal celebration at next summer's World Cup (what's that anyway).

What comes first, the game or commercial interests? Answers on the back of a ring pull please.

cwilliamson85
06-10-2009, 02:37 PM
players dont have to take there tops off or run the length of the pitch to celebrate.

Bring back celebrations like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZtx3tkJqso

Woody1985
06-10-2009, 03:37 PM
FIFA are a bunch of slavering jobsworths half the time.

I like the idea of the funny celebrations, it will brighten up some of the games.

Franck is God
07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I hate it when players get booked for over celebrating, scoring a goal is the best thing you can do in a match and as long as your celebration isn't likely to cause a riot then I don't see an issue.

I did hear the on the radio the other day a Fifa Ref saying that the shirt rule was to stop players revealing religious/political messages and advertising underneath which is fair enough.

Woody1985
07-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I hate it when players get booked for over celebrating, scoring a goal is the best thing you can do in a match and as long as your celebration isn't likely to cause a riot then I don't see an issue.

I did hear the on the radio the other day a Fifa Ref saying that the shirt rule was to stop players revealing religious/political messages and advertising underneath which is fair enough.

I think it's fair enough that prevention is better than cure. However, a guy raised a point on another thread that we should ban people from taking free kicks if they're the ones being fouled.

You're effectively punishing everyone for the few that will give these messages. Anyway, players aren't booked for lifting their shirt up which could reveal a message.

On top of this, FIFA have a ****ing cheek to try and ban people from showing sponsorship given the commercial nature of the game.

givescotlandfreedom
07-10-2009, 01:37 PM
On top of this, FIFA have a ****ing cheek to try and ban people from showing sponsorship given the commercial nature of the game.

Indeed it's the FIFA who let only a tiny handful of proper fans into world cup games and only then if they have a mastercard. Why does some tosser with money or a job in a company sponsoring them get priority over someone who actually goes to games to see their country? Money - from what I can see in this regard FIFA are dire with the ethics of a banker, lawyer and politician's day out.

Phil D. Rolls
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Indeed it's the FIFA who let only a tiny handful of proper fans into world cup games and only then if they have a mastercard. Why does some tosser with money or a job in a company sponsoring them get priority over someone who actually goes to games to see their country? Money - from what I can see in this regard FIFA are dire with the ethics of a banker, lawyer and politician's day out.

I suppose they don't want someone advertising a product that is a competitor of one of the companies they have taken sponsorship money from. For example Ajax sell Grolsch at the Arena - except on Champions League nights when they have to switch to Amstel.

Anyway it's all changed days from when the Holland team in 1974 wore Adidas strips - except for Cruyff, who had a deal with another manufacturer, so he appeared with two strips instead of three.

Jonnyboy
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM

That's precisely the reason. Can't help thinking 'why don't they only book a player for taking his shirt off if he then displays some kinda message?'

In general I quite like goofy goal celebrations but hey that's people having fun and we cannae have that :greengrin