PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Punishment ?

crewetollhibee
06-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Just a thought that occurred to me over the weekend. Why dont FIFA and UEFA introduce a rule that whoever wins a direct free kick is not allowed to actually take it, and should have to stand at least 10 yards away ? This would stop the Ronaldo's of this world winning a free kick on the edge of the box and then taking it himself. I appreciate that if it is a genuine foul that would seem a bit harsh, but if they are serious about stopping cheating, maybe something like this may help ? :wink:

Thecat23
06-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Just a thought that occurred to me over the weekend. Why dont FIFA and UEFA introduce a rule that whoever wins a direct free kick is not allowed to actually take it, and should have to stand at least 10 yards away ? This would stop the Ronaldo's of this world winning a free kick on the edge of the box and then taking it himself. I appreciate that if it is a genuine foul that would seem a bit harsh, but if they are serious about stopping cheating, maybe something like this may help ? :wink:

Why not ban them for half a season and dock them 3 months wages if found guilty?

What if he hasn't been fouled though? :duck:

Jim44
06-10-2009, 10:55 AM

I can't see this really reducing cheating as players will still do it to give their team-mates a pop at goal. We're quite well covered in this eventuality with Riordan, Zemmama and Stokes. Mind you, they are all so keen individually to get on the scoresheet that it seems likely that, deep down, they might not want to give one of the others a chance to increase their tally.

crewetollhibee
06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Why not ban them for half a season and dock them 3 months wages if found guilty?

What if he hasn't been fouled though? :duck:
Would be difficult to force private companies who are only members of UEFA to dock their employees wages. As for banning, well we saw the mess UEFA got themselves into over Eduardo. Sorry I don't understand your second point mate.:greengrin

heretoday
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
All footballers should be yellow-carded before the match. Then if they're good boys they get the card rescinded at half-time.

Jim44
06-10-2009, 11:19 AM
All footballers should be yellow-carded before the match. Then if they're good boys they get the card rescinded at half-time.

Guilty till proven innocent..........well that's a novel slant on things.

crewetollhibee
06-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I can't see this really reducing cheating as players will still do it to give their team-mates a pop at goal. We're quite well covered in this eventuality with Riordan, Zemmama and Stokes. Mind you, they are all so keen individually to get on the scoresheet that it seems likely that, deep down, they might not want to give one of the others a chance to increase their tally.
The thought was that it would HELP to reduce cheating. We have all been at a game where we think a player has dived to win a free kick, dusted himself down then rattled the ball into the top corner. Doubles the sense of injustice doesn't it ?

proud_and_green
06-10-2009, 11:21 AM

BUt the point is they are awarded the kick for a foul against them. Therefore it would be wrong to say, ok you were fouled and you can have a free kick but because others have dived in the past and i just don't know i will punish you as well.

Surely better to make sure that refs got it right and where there was evidence of diving shown after the game to yellow card the player guilty of the dive - perhaps even a red card to ensure that in the cases of where a goal resulted from the free kck there was a real penalty on the club of the diver.

hibbie02
06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Guilty till proven innocent..........well that's a novel slant on things.

Not really, our beloved Government is trying to introduce this concept already. If a cyclist rams himself into a car, then the Glorious Leader wants to start from the assumption that it must have been the car driver's fault, even if the car was stationary. A few years too late but 1984 is becoming a factual blueprint rather than a novel.

H18sry
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Makers takers would be a better option :duck:

crewetollhibee
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
BUt the point is they are awarded the kick for a foul against them. Therefore it would be wrong to say, ok you were fouled and you can have a free kick but because others have dived in the past and i just don't know i will punish you as well.

Surely better to make sure that refs got it right and where there was evidence of diving shown after the game to yellow card the player guilty of the dive - perhaps even a red card to ensure that in the cases of where a goal resulted from the free kck there was a real penalty on the club of the diver.
Different argument mate but I accept your point.

clerriehibs
06-10-2009, 11:41 AM

defender "hmmm, if I let this buggre past, he's gonna have a chance to shoot, and he's darn good, so will probably score. [idea!] I'll just take his legs away from him ... not only will he not have that shooting chance, but he can't take the free kick! Well worth the yellow card I might get [editor's note: yellow card point not relevant to rantic players when playing against "provincial teams]"

What kind of game do we really want ... personally, I want to see skillful players flourish, not have a hackers charter.

Jim44
06-10-2009, 11:49 AM
This whole argument is based on the premise that the player being fouled or diving is a recognised free-kick taker.........not always the case, so what's to stop any player diving around the box to gain a pop-shot for his team? :dunno:

Woody1985
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
What a **** idea for the points already raised.

Luna_Asylum
06-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Not really, our beloved Government is trying to introduce this concept already. If a cyclist rams himself into a car, then the Glorious Leader wants to start from the assumption that it must have been the car driver's fault, even if the car was stationary. A few years too late but 1984 is becoming a factual blueprint rather than a novel.

Major Misunderstanding is a character in the British adult comic Viz.

Sylar
06-10-2009, 12:01 PM
What a **** idea for the points already raised.

:agree:

Andy74
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Total stupidity.

If we had one decent free kick taker and he was free and on his way into the box and gets chopped you get the added injustice that the guy can't carry on and take the free kick that was barely a reward for a great scoring chance anyway!

Barmy.

Jack
06-10-2009, 12:38 PM

That’s been the law for as long as I've been driving, 37+ years. The driver is presumed to be guilty and he (his insurance) is required to cover the cost of the medical bills and ambulance in the event of an accident. The same applies to a car [driver] knocking down a pedestrian. This can be reclaimed by the insurance companies but hey, why bother, they just charge higher premiums to cover it! After all you are required to have insurance but the dead pedestrians family might make you go to court to reclaim that money from the dead drunks estate!

Anyway back to the original question, no, I don’t think it would help for the reasons of unfairness, and most players are not actually blatant cheats, mentioned earlier.

Keith_M
06-10-2009, 12:39 PM
The answer to the 'diving' problem is really simple.

Attach all the players to big metal poles that extend from one side of the pitch to the other, like on table football, and nobody can fall over.

:greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
06-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Cultural change required.

Football could learn a lesson from the world of rugby :tin hat::tin hat: :duck:

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Not for me. If you have tricky players in your team like Deeks and Zemamma, you would tell them to get in amongst defenders and try to draw as many fouls as possible, especially aound the box. Part of the game.

Keith_M
06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Cultural change required.

Football could learn a lesson from the world of rugby :tin hat::tin hat: :duck:

Yes, like gouging, punching in the scrum and fake blood capsules.

crewetollhibee
06-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Total stupidity.

If we had one decent free kick taker and he was free and on his way into the box and gets chopped you get the added injustice that the guy can't carry on and take the free kick that was barely a reward for a great scoring chance anyway!

Barmy.
Aye there is always somebody who will look at one problem with any new idea and call the whole thing (in this instance) barmy. Was, as I said, just a thought to perhaps have a look at ways of discouraging the culprits from 'earning' a free kick and then taking it themselves. GGTTH.

bingo70
06-10-2009, 02:16 PM

:agree:

Not forgetting stamping on players for getting on the wrong side.

Seriously though, we should start giving out way over the top punishments for a while until people get the message that diving is unacceptable, if anyones caught doing a ridiculous dive, i mean like mikolounas against scotland, rather than Mcgeady against hibs which was debatable, we should give them something like a 10 game ban.

Players would soon stop it if they were being punished severely.

Forza Fred
06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Aye there is always somebody who will look at one problem with any new idea and call the whole thing (in this instance) barmy. Was, as I said, just a thought to perhaps have a look at ways of discouraging the culprits from 'earning' a free kick and then taking it themselves. GGTTH.

I think a lot of people are hesitant to post on this (and others it must be said) forum any ideas, for fear of ridicule etc.

Which is a shame, I would have thought it was preferable to encourage such posts.

Having said that, I disagree with the suggestion for reasons already covered by other posters, but commend the OP for at least contributing.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Don't normally indulge in this but ..... :fishin:

I meant in terms of the spirit of getting on with the game, not being a woose and what appeared to be a code of conduct amongst players.

That said sanctions (during a post match), sin bins, replays and the citing process have been brought in to address issues. May not be perfect but they've been seen to do something to sort things.

And football has ...?

Andy74
06-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I think a lot of people are hesitant to post on this (and others it must be said) forum any ideas, for fear of ridicule etc.

Which is a shame, I would have thought it was preferable to encourage such posts.

Having said that, I disagree with the suggestion for reasons already covered by other posters, but commend the OP for at least contributing.

My opinions or ideas have been called a lot worse than barmy and I'm still here!!

I haven't stumbled on to the Women's Insitute site here have I, were we all have to be sensitive to each other's feelings? When did football fans become so soft? :greengrin

crewetollhibee
06-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Don't normally indulge in this but ..... :fishin:

I meant in terms of the spirit of getting on with the game, not being a woose and what appeared to be a code of conduct amongst players.

That said sanctions (during a post match), sin bins, replays and the citing process have been brought in to address issues. May not be perfect but they've been seen to do something to sort things.

And football has ...?
That was my point in posting. It seems that a lot of attention has been paid to only whether a referee has got it right or wrong but there has been virtually no discussion regarding rule changes. That was what got me thinking about the post.

Andy74
06-10-2009, 03:01 PM

I was third in line by the way, someone called the idea **** and another agreed.

CyberSauzee
06-10-2009, 03:39 PM
There was a very good book by Jimmy Burns 10+ years ago called the 'Hand of God', a biography about Maradona. In it, he detailed the game and how it was played in South America, including diving.

Now, like everyone in Scotland/the UK, we were brought up to believe that diving was 'cheating', even though there was never anything in the rules that outlawed simulation. Burns pointed out that it was a cultural thing; in SA, players were looked on favourably if they had deceived the referee to win their team a free kick.

This was of course a complete about turn to the way I was brought up to think.

We were taught that if we win the ball in a tackle and follow through to injure your opponent, that didn't matter. It was a man's game, and if you hurt your opponent, so what. No mention to me growing up that intentionally hurting your opponent, even in a tackle, was indeed actual cheating because a rule was broken. No, we were taught that if you dived, you were cheating - but there was never any rule broken!!

As I said, it's a cultural thing, and one which the powers that be in UEFA and FIFA, based in western Europe, sought to implement based on our perceived values of fairness and correctness. These 'values' have now, of course, found their way into the rule book with simulation now a yellow card offence.

A bit off topic I know from the OP, but hopefully it will give some on here a bit of cultural insight into what we perceive as cheating.

I still haven't made my mind up on diving one way or the other. From how we have been brought up there is a sense of moral fair play. But on the other, if we deceive the officials into awarding us a corner, we think nothing of it. So why not deceive them into giving us a free kick?

For me, the test would come if, say, Riordan 'went down' in the box at Hampden, and the subsequent penalty won us the Scottish Cup. I wouldn't be complaining, and I suspect, neither would 90%+ on here :wink: