PDA

View Full Version : SPL Free Weekend/National Friendly

Sylar
05-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Was it always the case that this weekend was scheduled to be without any domestic fixtures, even though Scotland were never going to be playing in a competitive qualifier?

I was going to post on the Japan vs Scotland Telly thread about feeling a tad annoyed about the fixture calling off the SPL games this weekend for utterly no purpose, and lambasting the organisation of said friendly, before realising that the SPL/SFA may have scheduled the weekend as free, on account of some clubs losing players to other countries' qualification attempts.

So, are the games off because the SFA organised a pointless friendly, or did the SFA organise a friendly because we were off anyway...

Sir David Gray
05-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Was it always the case that this weekend was scheduled to be without any domestic fixtures, even though Scotland were never going to be playing in a competitive qualifier?

I was going to post on the Japan vs Scotland Telly thread about feeling a tad annoyed about the fixture calling off the SPL games this weekend for utterly no purpose, and lambasting the organisation of said friendly, before realising that the SPL/SFA may have scheduled the weekend as free, on account of some clubs losing players to other countries' qualification attempts.
So, are the games off because the SFA organised a pointless friendly, or did the SFA organise a friendly because we were off anyway...

That will be why there are no SPL games this weekend and to answer your question, it will be the latter.

Danderhall Hibs
05-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I think so mate.

Just 'cos Scotland aren't playing isn't a good enough reason for the full SPL card to be played - Miller and Bamba would have to go away and there'll be other clubs in the league that'll be without their best players this weekend as well. There's not many international sides not playing this weekend - I think it's due to us being in the Group with only 5 teams.

H18sry
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Its a recognized international week so no top flight club fixtures around the world are organized for that weekend, as to stop players being called up for there country, disrupting club fixtures.

As is the play off weekend of the 14th November, even tho England Spain and the likes have no games that week no club fixtures have been arranged.

oconnors_strip
06-10-2009, 02:34 PM
means people can get along to local lower divisions matches. or head to paisley to watch the scotland under 21s, david wotherspoon is in the squad:thumbsup:

Forza Fred
06-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Its a recognized international week so no top flight club fixtures around the world are organized for that weekend, as to stop players being called up for there country, disrupting club fixtures.

As is the play off weekend of the 14th November, even tho England Spain and the likes have no games that week no club fixtures have been arranged.

Exactly.

It is not just Scottish or European players who play in the league.

There are international fixtures taking place outside of Europe that many on this forum would not have even considered, as they would be unaware of them.