PDA

View Full Version : Deek at Left Midfield.

Ritchie
04-10-2009, 09:51 AM
i definately think the performances are improving.

but i still think deek is wasted on the left.

yesterday for example i'd have put deek upfront with stokes and play galbraith at left midfield.

i think galbraiths pace would cause more problems and deek is deadlier infront of goal than nish/benji.

think it would make a big difference :agree:

thoughts??

PISTOL1875
04-10-2009, 09:54 AM

yesterday for example i'd have put deek upfront with stokes and play galbraith at left midfield.

i think galbraiths pace would cause more problems and deek is deadlier infront of goal than nish/benji.

thoughts??

Yes he is wasted on the left.. He should be played the same way as Kris Boyd should.. Up front with a partner... He is a goal scorer and should be played in that way.... He shouldn't be asked to defend.. Leave up front where he is at his best...

hibsfan7
04-10-2009, 09:55 AM
well we know who to blame for deek playing there it was mr mowbray that started that i agree he should be upfront all the time :hnet:

Expecting Rain
04-10-2009, 09:56 AM

thoughts??

That sounds ok to me Ritchie and makes a lot of sense, i still think that like Deano before him and Nish, Benji is an impact player, the thought of Riordan playing just off Stokes is pretty tasty, the ball would have to be on the deck most of the time but if it is good enough for Barcelona and Arsenal it is good enough for us.:greengrin

David@EasterRoad
04-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I think he is more effective on the left, he can cut in on his right or hit with his left. He gets more space with the game in front of him instead of playing back to goal with a big defender trying to kick him. And he has the knack of timing his runs into the box as shown by his miss from Miller's cross yesterday. From a defensive point of view if the left back gives him the ball in a tight situation he rarely gives it away and he's now willing to track back and tackle. Too good a footballer to leave up front poaching like Boyd

The_Horde
04-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I've not been overly impressed with Stokes yet, so i'd probably drop him and put Benji up top with Riordan and chuck Galbraith in on the left?

Winston Ingram
04-10-2009, 05:23 PM

thoughts??

Totally disagree. Deek has demonstrated on numerous occasions that he can't play up front.

He's also stated on numerous occasions that playing on the left is his preferred position

Edinburgh Green
04-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Totally disagree. Deek has demonstrated on numerous occasions that he can't play up front.

He's also stated on numerous occasions that playing on the left is his preferred position

Eh.....sorry?:confused:

As for his 'prefered position' couldn't care less, he is a striker and should be played as one.

Franck is God
04-10-2009, 10:05 PM
when he plays up front he just runs offside all the time, if he's on the left then the play is in front of him and he can come in from an angle on the run, he is also difficult to mark.

He's also not exactly playing as a left midfielder, the formation we used yesterday was pretty close to a 4-2-3-1 and when he missed the open goal he was in the middle of the six yard box so it's not a fixed position that he's playing.....

Jonnyboy
04-10-2009, 10:11 PM

As for his 'prefered position' couldn't care less, he is a striker and should be played as one.

Playing Deek as an out and out striker would be akin to Burley's decision to play McFadden as an out and out striker when Scotland played Norway at Hampden. In other words you've got two hugely talented players unable to demonstrate that talent because they are NOT out and out strikers :agree:

Deek is doing just fine where he is IMO :agree:

el capitano
04-10-2009, 10:51 PM

thoughts??

could not disagree more, gets far more chances to score when played on the left, prob the best left sided attacker in the league. he is wasted as a centre forward . great for the team to have the quality he has playing on the left.
suppose its good benji getting a chance,although i feel he is a very overated player.
great season ahead tho.
ggtth

silverhibee
04-10-2009, 11:24 PM
could not disagree more, gets far more chances to score when played on the left, prob the best left sided attacker in the league. he is wasted as a centre forward . great for the team to have the quality he has playing on the left.
suppose its good benji getting a chance,although i feel he is a very overated player.
great season ahead tho.
ggtth

Who is the better left sided attacker, Deeks or McGeady.

el capitano
04-10-2009, 11:26 PM
i feel deeks offers more than mcgeady but strachan didnt, opinions eh

matty_f
04-10-2009, 11:39 PM

I would have either Deeks or Zemmama ahead of McGeady any day of the week.:agree:

FWIW, I think Deek excels on the left. He had a good game on Saturday and looks a more rounded player. He got into good scoring positions, and on another day could have had a couple of goals.

If playing Deek on the left means we get to see more attacking performances from the team like we did first half on Saturday, then I'm more than happy to see him there.

Winston Ingram
05-10-2009, 07:10 AM

who says he's a striker, you? I'm sure if you asked him he would say he wasn't, if you asked Yogi he would say he wasn't and his performances when playing there confirm he isn't

Mickey Edwards
05-10-2009, 08:19 AM
if Stokes and Riordan were upfront who would have held the ball up for Hibs on Sat ?...............I thought Benji's strength and touch , making the ball stick etc were pretty good on Sat......that from a guy who's not had a start.......and remember he was usually the only one offering to receive from throwins in tight areas cos he's actually a strong bugger on the ball although his movement is quite languid.....and also most of the pressure he was receiving from their centre backs was illegal.

Better balance with Benji / Stokes up top.

And by the way great graft from Deeks by the way....their goal came from us not pressing the ball as well for a few minutes but it wasn't on Deek's flank that it happened.

MB62
05-10-2009, 09:40 AM
I remember interviewing the Hibs manager of the time (initially I thought it was mogadon but I think Deeks might not have been there at the time so it was probably McLeish) for Masshibsteria. I asked him why he plays Deeks wide left when he plays through the middle with O'Connor in the reserves?

His reply was, 'I have never asked Deeks to play wide left, he just naturally drifts there himself every game because he likes cutting in from that position and feels he gets more room out there. away from big centre half's who he can then run at with the ball at his feet'.

That kind of made sense and I think we have to realise that Deeks is not a left winger as we would know one, but prefers playing out there as a striker. It limits us in as much as playing an out and out left winger is not possible, but with Deeks scoring record, I think the manager has to accommodate him and employ tactics to suit this.

JimBHibees
05-10-2009, 12:56 PM
I remember interviewing the Hibs manager of the time (initially I thought it was mogadon but I think Deeks might not have been there at the time so it was probably McLeish) for Masshibsteria. I asked him why he plays Deeks wide left when he plays through the middle with O'Connor in the reserves?

His reply was, 'I have never asked Deeks to play wide left, he just naturally drifts there himself every game because he likes cutting in from that position and feels he gets more room out there. away from big centre half's who he can then run at with the ball at his feet'.

That kind of made sense and I think we have to realise that Deeks is not a left winger as we would know one, but prefers playing out there as a striker. It limits us in as much as playing an out and out left winger is not possible, but with Deeks scoring record, I think the manager has to accommodate him and employ tactics to suit this.

Agree I think it is the position that best suits him as it gives him a bit more space than if a huddy like Dods was marking him tight. A bit like how Henry used to play with Arsenal being able to pick the ball up wide and drive at defences with the ball. I think it also best suits the team and anyone who is saying we need to change alot about the team given the last couple of performances needs to think about it.

silverhibee
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM

He says he is a striker who likes to drift out to the left or right side, as big bad centre halfs wont follow him out there and be dragged out of position, he is just using his football brain to get the better of defenders when he is played as a striker.
Now, if Yogi sticks with the formation he is playing for the rest of the season and Deek has to play the left midfield role and can get 15 to 20 goals in the season, then i would hope that RP gets Riordan to sign an extension to his contract soon, because if he keeps up the the good workrate and continues to get better then other clubs will start taking notice of a 15-20 goal scorer from left midfield.
celtc have a one trick pony who plays left midfield and averages about 4 goals a season called McGeady, and celtc would want about £8m for him if they were to sell him.
If Hibs were to cash in on Deeks at the end of the season as a left midfielder, how much would RP looking to get for Derek Riordan. £10m maybe.:greengrin
In Rod wee trust.:cool2::thumbsup:

Toaods
05-10-2009, 10:51 PM
If Hibs were to cash in on Deeks at the end of the season as a left midfielder, how much would RP looking to get for Derek Riordan. £10m maybe.:greengrin

£10M - that would be not bad going for our 2nd top scorer...:greengrin

matty_f
05-10-2009, 10:53 PM
He says he is a striker who likes to drift out to the left or right side, as big bad centre halfs wont follow him out there and be dragged out of position, he is just using his football brain to get the better of defenders when he is played as a striker.
Now, if Yogi sticks with the formation he is playing for the rest of the season and Deek has to play the left midfield role and can get 15 to 20 goals in the season, then i would hope that RP gets Riordan to sign an extension to his contract soon, because if he keeps up the the good workrate and continues to get better then other clubs will start taking notice of a 15-20 goal scorer from left midfield.
celtc have a one trick pony who plays left midfield and averages about 4 goals a season called McGeady, and celtc would want about £8m for him if they were to sell him.

I don't care how much it looks like I'm seeing things through green tinted specs here, but from the 4 attacking players that started on Saturday - Deek, Stokes, Benji, Zemmama - there is not a player elsewhere in the SPL that I'd swap them for.

Celtc can keep McCheaty, give me Deek any day.

Mibbes Aye
05-10-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't care how much it looks like I'm seeing things through green tinted specs here, but from the 4 attacking players that started on Saturday - Deek, Stokes, Benji, Zemmama - there is not a player elsewhere in the SPL that I'd swap them for.

Celtc can keep McCheaty, give me Deek any day.

:agree: I don't think any other team could claim to be anything like as positive in an attacking sense. They're all players who, at their best, are good enough to play at a higher level. Miller's the same and I have high hopes for what we could see from this team as they gel.

Westie1875
05-10-2009, 11:09 PM

Sod that, keep him at Hibs forever! :greengrin:cool2:

matty_f
05-10-2009, 11:09 PM
:agree: I don't think any other team could claim to be anything like as positive in an attacking sense. They're all players who, at their best, are good enough to play at a higher level. Miller's the same and I have high hopes for what we could see from this team as they gel.

:agree: Miller has been fantastic the last few games. If it wasn't for the quality of Miller and McBride, we'd not be as able to play the other 4 at once.

silverhibee
05-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Agree with this and if these players continue to improve to the extent of the higher level, my worry is will wee get to see these players gel together, or will they be sold if the price is right for any of these players. Thats my worry, is that RP or SL have brought players like Riordan Stokes Miller and Bamba to the club hoping that they do good enough to be sold on at a profit at a later time. Just my thoughts like.:greengrin

Mibbes Aye
05-10-2009, 11:29 PM
:agree: Miller has been fantastic the last few games. If it wasn't for the quality of Miller and McBride, we'd not be as able to play the other 4 at once.

Didn't mention McBride and wondered whether I should have - he's not an attacking player obviously but he allows the others to fulfil their role and to me, is probably the most vital player in the team just now (although Miller might change that).

Thought it was maybe indicative of how his role is viewed reading the "Player Rating" thread - most folk thought he didn't put a foot wrong, some described him as excellent IIRC, but he consistently only got given a 7, I suspect because his role isn't prominent in an attacking sense and nor is it last-ditch defensive stuff that brings attention.

I think Miller could easily become the important player in how our season turns out. At the same time I think McBride is the fulcrum and without wishing to tempt fate I don't think we necessarily have someone who could replicate what he does, were he to be injured or whatever. Murray's the obvious answer, given there are some similarities of style and Murray's attitude of giving his all wherever he's asked to play.

Getting back to the point though :greengrin, we do have a wealth of attacking talent and let's hope that the Miller/McBride combo allows us to play that to its potential, because if Yogi can get it right we're going to terrify some teams.