PDA

View Full Version : Referee

givescotlandfreedom
03-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I thought today's referee was dire. Missed some extremely obvious fouls including many blatant shoves in the back and even Dods doing his gorilla impression round our strikers' necks. Also booked Benji for nothing but let their players off with some pretty hard challenges and persistent fouling. Summed up by not giving a foul Zemamma a foul at the edge off the box when he'd ran from just inside the their half past 2 players and was dragged back from behind just as he was about to pass to Stokes or Riordan. Awful refereeing.

Jonnyboy
03-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I thought today's referee was dire. Missed some extremely obvious fouls including many blatant shoves in the back and even Dods doing his gorilla impression round our strikers' necks. Also booked Benji for nothing but let their players off with some pretty hard challenges and persistent fouling. Summed up by not giving a foul Zemamma a foul at the edge off the box when he'd ran from just inside the their half past 2 players and was dragged back from behind just as he was about to pass to Stokes or Riordan. Awful refereeing.

He missed a lot I agree but Benji's booking was spot on IMO. He went through the back of the guy so a booking was warranted I reckon.

Hibercelona
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Couldn't understand something in the second half...

The Dundee Utd player hand balled and I was waiting for us to take the freekick, but the freekick was given to Dundee Utd instead. :confused:

Sir David Gray
03-10-2009, 06:54 PM
He missed a lot I agree but Benji's booking was spot on IMO. He went through the back of the guy so a booking was warranted I reckon.

:agree: I thought it was quite a bad tackle from where I was sitting and I was thinking at the time that another referee may have decided to send him off (although I think that would have been extremely harsh).

Definitely a booking IMO.

Jonnyboy
03-10-2009, 06:56 PM

The Dundee Utd player hand balled and I was waiting for us to take the freekick, but the freekick was given to Dundee Utd instead. :confused:

After the ref blew for hand ball he noticed his linesman had his flag up for offside and as that offence was earlier than the hand ball United got a free kick

PaulSmith
03-10-2009, 06:58 PM

The Asst Ref had flagged for offside, incorrectly though IMO as being in that position was 10 yards behind Dods when he handled and was in no way interfering with play so he could've waved him down and gave the free kick to Hibs.

I think that the ref tried to let the play go as much as possible today and sometimes they deserve credit for that rather than blowing everytime there's physical contact between the players.

Definite yellow for Benji BTW.

The Harp Awakes
03-10-2009, 07:14 PM
A very erratic performance from the ref today with some weird decisions even though there was hardly anything for him to do. The lead up to Benji's booking was a joke - Zemamma went on one of his trademark runs beating 2 or 3 players before being taken out but no foul:confused:

crash
03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
After the ref blew for hand ball he noticed his linesman had his flag up for offside and as that offence was earlier than the hand ball United got a free kick

That farside linesman got just about every decision wrong today, the above incident being a good example of this. The Hibs player (Stokes) couldn't be given offside as he was nowhere near the ball, play was inside the Hibs half when the handball incident took place.
Also flagged Stokes twice when he had made well timed runs from clearly onside positions, yet failed to spot two blatant fouls on Zemamma right under his nose.Very frustrating.:grr:

Capt Mainwaring
03-10-2009, 07:24 PM
That farside linesman got just about every decision wrong today, the above incident being a good example of this. The Hibs player (Stokes) couldn't be given offside as he was nowhere near the ball, play was inside the Hibs half when the handball incident took place.
Also flagged Stokes twice when he had made well timed runs from clearly onside positions, yet failed to spot two blatant fouls on Zemamma right under his nose.Very frustrating.:grr:

As demonstrated shambolically with the sending off. Dreadful decision and Stokes can count himself lucky he didn't see a Red card as well.

truehibernian
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
By far his worst decisions were the failure at any of the terrific free kick areas we got into, to acknowledge the 10 yard rule. How many times must a referee allow the opposition to sneak yards and not even adhere to his intructions. The free kick Riordan had in the first half (towards the end) had the Utd players literally about 6 yards away. How difficult is it for a ref to mark out 10 yards and watch if they encroach :grr:

Sir David Gray
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
As demonstrated shambolically with the sending off. Dreadful decision and Stokes can count himself lucky he didn't see a Red card as well.

I saw the whole incident and from where I was sitting, nothing happened which merited a straight red card for either player.

Buaben went in on Stokes in a way that he didn't like and then as Buaben went to clear the ball, Stokes came across him and made slight contact. The two of them had words and then squared up to each other for a few seconds.

It was all quite ridiculous but never worthy of a red card from what I could see.

Jonnyboy
03-10-2009, 07:35 PM

Agree with all of that :agree:

Hibs Spain
03-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I thought today's referee was dire. Missed some extremely obvious fouls including many blatant shoves in the back and even Dods doing his gorilla impression round our strikers' necks. Also booked Benji for nothing but let their players off with some pretty hard challenges and persistent fouling. Summed up by not giving a foul Zemamma a foul at the edge off the box when he'd ran from just inside the their half past 2 players and was dragged back from behind just as he was about to pass to Stokes or Riordan. Awful refereeing.Benji's was a booking.And Zemamma's brilliant run ended up with a fair tackle although the whole momentum thing might have made it look like a foul from some angles.I happen to know this ref.He has nothing really to say in a social/party type situation.... Unless you ask him about his refereeing activities and questions on reffing,rules etc and then he's in his element ...

SidBurns
03-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Add to all of this is he's bloody E**lish! Born and bred in Newcastle, nae guid!

RoYO!
03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
our discipline seems to have been good in recent games, maybe one card a game? was worried that the ref was going over to send stokes off as i totally missed the incident

Woody1985
03-10-2009, 08:23 PM
The Asst Ref had flagged for offside, incorrectly though IMO as being in that position was 10 yards behind Dods when he handled and was in no way interfering with play so he could've waved him down and gave the free kick to Hibs.

I think that the ref tried to let the play go as much as possible today and sometimes they deserve credit for that rather than blowing everytime there's physical contact between the players.

Definite yellow for Benji BTW.

The ball was 5-10 yards inside our half. He gave offside :confused:. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen!

It was a Bamba clearance from LB FFS.

Hibs Spain
03-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Add to all of this is he's bloody E**lish! Born and bred in Newcastle, nae guid!Hartlepool ..

PaulSmith
03-10-2009, 08:39 PM
The ball was 5-10 yards inside our half. He gave offside :confused:. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen!

It was a Bamba clearance from LB FFS.

I know I'm splitting hairs with this comment in relation to this particular incident but if the attacker is in an offside position when the ball is played forward then it doesn't matter where it's kicked from. The problem here was the asst ref flagging too early and the ref going with him rather than being strong enough to tell him to put his flag down

matty_f
03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I know I'm splitting hairs with this comment in relation to this particular incident but if the attacker is in an offside position when the ball is played forward then it doesn't matter where it's kicked from. The problem here was the asst ref flagging too early and the ref going with him rather than being strong enough to tell him to put his flag down

:agree:

FWIW, I thought the ref was just inconsistent today. At times he handled the match really well, I thought, and at other times he was so wrong it was unbelievable.

Can't blame him for the red card - he's taken advice from his assistant which is what he needs to do. He has to trust the linesman to get it right, too.

The 10 yards at the free kick was ridiculous, though. Benji's booking was spot on, though had he given Zemmama a foul (as he should have, IMHO) moments before it wouldn't have happened.

Overall, I think the ref had a decent game - I've seen a lot, lot worse at ER.

Danderhall Hibs
03-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I thought he was ok. Although I heard a guy on Traynor's phone-in who pointed out how little injury-time there was added. 3 subs - one of them quite lengthy (when the boy with 3 or 4 names came on) plus a stretchered player and then the sending-off delay.

How did he get to 3 minutes? That's just the standard time IMO.

BTW - what was the refs name?

PISTOL1875
03-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I saw the whole incident and from where I was sitting, nothing happened which merited a straight red card for either player.

Buaben went in on Stokes in a way that he didn't like and then as Buaben went to clear the ball, Stokes came across him and made slight contact. The two of them had words and then squared up to each other for a few seconds.

It was all quite ridiculous but never worthy of a red card from what I could see.

I was right inline with it in the West Lower and Stokes kicked Bauben as he cleared the ball... It wasn't slight contact at all. It was more than that.. If anything , Stokes should've been off for the kick....

JoeT_WasTheBest
03-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I thought he was ok. Although I heard a guy on Traynor's phone-in who pointed out how little injury-time there was added. 3 subs - one of them quite lengthy (when the boy with 3 or 4 names came on) plus a stretchered player and then the sending-off delay.

How did he get to 3 minutes? That's just the standard time IMO.

BTW - what was the refs name?

It was Mr Tumilty mate. I'll have a chat with him on Monday :wink:

Hibs Spain
03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
It was Mr Tumilty mate. I'll have a chat with him on Monday :wink:You'll have to be quite senior in Standard Life for him listen to you ..:wink:

Sir David Gray
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I was right inline with it in the West Lower and Stokes kicked Bauben as he cleared the ball... It wasn't slight contact at all. It was more than that.. If anything , Stokes should've been off for the kick....

It looked to me as though Stokes left his leg in as Buaben was clearing the ball, he did make contact but I don't think it was anything worth speaking about.

As for the 'handbags' afterwards, as I said earlier, that was just ridiculous from the pair of them but I don't think either of them did anything to merit a straight red card. All they did was put their foreheads together and shouted at each other for a few seconds.

I think Dundee Utd will appeal it and I will be stunned if they aren't successful.

Woody1985
03-10-2009, 10:17 PM

I appreciate that and understand the rule.

When the freekick was given they were 5 yards in their own half. Perhaps the CF ran 10-15 yards back into his own half, got in front of the CH who handballed it and the freekick was given. Maybe that's what happened but I don't recall that. I thought our player from the left tried to get across to him and not from their half.

hibbysam
03-10-2009, 10:56 PM
It looked to me as though Stokes left his leg in as Buaben was clearing the ball, he did make contact but I don't think it was anything worth speaking about.

As for the 'handbags' afterwards, as I said earlier, that was just ridiculous from the pair of them but I don't think either of them did anything to merit a straight red card. All they did was put their foreheads together and shouted at each other for a few seconds.

I think Dundee Utd will appeal it and I will be stunned if they aren't successful.

i just watched the highlights on sky sports news and when the two players heads went together buaben definateely moves his head towards stokes in a "headbutt" manner which in todays game youu cannot do, greaat decision from the linoo when others wouldve ignored it!

as someone else said weve had a lot lot worse at ER in the past step forward mr C Richmond!:greengrin

Sir David Gray
03-10-2009, 11:23 PM
i just watched the highlights on sky sports news and when the two players heads went together buaben definateely moves his head towards stokes in a "headbutt" manner which in todays game youu cannot do, greaat decision from the linoo when others wouldve ignored it!

as someone else said weve had a lot lot worse at ER in the past step forward mr C Richmond!:greengrin

Fair enough then, I'll take a look at it on Sportscene or maybe before the OF game tomorrow.

It just didn't look like anything at all when I saw it at the time.

Dunbar Hibee
04-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Linesmen and the Ref had an awful game particulary in the second half... some of those decisions were unreal:bitchy:

snooky
04-10-2009, 08:48 AM

It widnae be Andy Davis that wis running the line? :worms::stirrer:

BTW, is it not the linesman's job to flag when a player is in an 'offside position' but it's up to the ref to decide whether he's interfering with play?
Maybe someone with a bit of knowledge on the rules of the game could clarify this (one way or the other).

Expecting Rain
04-10-2009, 08:57 AM
The officials showed the same standards that they have been maintaning for the last decade or so.

PaulSmith
04-10-2009, 09:01 AM
It widnae be Andy Davis that wis running the line? :worms::stirrer:

BTW, is it not the linesman's job to flag when a player is in an 'offside position' but it's up to the ref to decide whether he's interfering with play?
Maybe someone with a bit of knowledge on the rules of the game could clarify this (one way or the other).

Nope, asst referee's job is to flag for an offside offence i.e. he should make the judgement call at the time whether he is interfering with play.

Monktonhall 7
04-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Maybe too many pints of Carling before the game, but I thought the Ref, was awful yesterday. Apart from all the poor decisions mentioned, Prince Baubens tackle on Stokes was shocking, IMO, and the game should have been stopped at that point. By letting it go, he ends up having to Red card him, and Stokes was lucky he never got one. Then I see todays game, and cant believe that Craig Thomson does not give a pen for Weirs challenge on Maloney. I'm ceratain we will read this week, That in Dallas & Kenny Clarks eyes, all these decisions were spot on, when the paying punter knows they need a boot up the backside. We are where we are!

Toaods
04-10-2009, 06:11 PM

You'll have to be quite senior in Standard Life for him listen to you ..:wink:

when did Walter Smith start? :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
04-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Maybe he is. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
04-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Tell him I thought he was decent :greengrin but ask him the injury time question.

3pm
04-10-2009, 06:28 PM

Leave a message with his secretary...:agree:

Hibbyradge
04-10-2009, 06:33 PM
The ref and the linesmen were fine.

Danderhall Hibs
04-10-2009, 06:35 PM

I thought so - apart from when the linesman on the West Stand side that gave them a throw-in when it was obviously touched last by one of them. Don't know how he missed it!

bingo70
04-10-2009, 06:35 PM

I thought so as well.

I know he got some decisions wrong but in general he tried to let the game flow and wasn't card happy.

Surprised about the amount of criticism of him on here TBH.

basehibby
04-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I've seen far worse refereeing displays at ER but regardless of that I think Tumulty had a pretty poor game. There were quite a few mystefying decisions and there is absolutely NO excuse for not getting the wall back 10 yards at a direct free kick - there was one free kick in the first half when Tumulty did not bother pacing out the yards and allowed the Utd wall to line up about 5 yards away - he then completely ignored the protests of the Hibs players and a goalscoring opportunity was thus negated - I personally struggle to define such behaviour as anything else but cheating - he knew the rules and delibarately ignored them even as the players (and virtually the whole crowd!) pointed out his lapse - that is not a mistake - it's cheating IMO.

Toaods
04-10-2009, 07:43 PM
- it's cheating IMO.

I would agree with most of your post but it's not cheating as without doubt in this ref's case (not so for others that I won't bother naming) there is no pre-designated mindset to see us lose out.

It's just somewhere betwen inconcistency or incompetence.

I never understand why any referee allows a group of players in a wall to decide where they will stand and/or where the ball should be placed. All it needs it for a referee to be straong and just get the card out and book anyone who doesn't do as they are told - they(players in general) would soon know not to mess.

Danderhall Hibs
04-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I would agree with most of your post but it's not cheating as without doubt in this ref's case (not so for others that I won't bother naming) there is no pre-designated mindset to see us lose out.

It's just somewhere betwen inconcistency or incompetence.

I never understand why any referee allows a group of players in a wall to decide where they will stand and/or where the ball should be placed. All it needs it for a referee to be straong and just get the card out and book anyone who doesn't do as they are told - they(players in general) would soon know not to mess.

:agree: It's not cheating - it's careless (1st time) bordering on incompetence (if it keeps happening).

basehibby
04-10-2009, 08:03 PM
OK - maybe "cheating" is the wrong term. Having watched the highlights on HI the ref DID pace out the yards but ANYONE could see that the wall was nowhere near 10 yards away - the players and crowd protested but were ignored - and as a result Hibs were effectively cheated of a chance to score.

Toaods
04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
OK - maybe "cheating" is the wrong term. Having watched the highlights on HI the ref DID pace out the yards but ANYONE could see that the wall was nowhere near 10 yards away - the players and crowd protested but were ignored - and as a result Hibs were effectively cheated of a chance to score.

yes we were cheated ...by D.Utd, same as we cheat just like aall the other teams. My point was a general thing, I don't see why refs can't go mad for a while with yellow cards until players or managers get it drummed in that they will not get away with it.

If a player encroaches, book him and order a retake.