PDA

View Full Version : NHL Season 2009/10

Sylar
02-10-2009, 09:33 PM
I didn't realise the NHL season had started back already! Can't believe it's come around so quickly - seems like no time since Pittsburgh stole our trophy :boo hoo:

Currently watching the Blues vs Redwings game, with St Louis leading 4-3 in the 3rd (with 6 mins to go).

Edit: Seems this is the pre-season exhibition game from Scandanavia!

Haymaker
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Come on the Bruins!

GhostofBolivar
03-10-2009, 06:21 AM
I didn't realise the NHL season had started back already! Can't believe it's come around so quickly - seems like no time since Pittsburgh stole our trophy :boo hoo:

Currently watching the Blues vs Redwings game, with St Louis leading 4-3 in the 3rd (with 6 mins to go).

Edit: Seems this is the pre-season exhibition game from Scandanavia!

No, it's the season opener from Scandinavia.

The season started on Thursday.

Sylar
03-10-2009, 07:44 AM
I did mean to come back and edit it again actually - perhaps it was just wishful thinking on my part - we were shocking last night. Our team is starting to look its age...

James.
03-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Season starts in earnest today! It can only get better for my team (Islanders) this year.

Stanley Cup Winner? I think the Penguins will do it again!

CalgaryHibs
03-10-2009, 11:04 PM
i see no Flames fan here yet,

we beat Vancouver 5-3 in our opener.

Billy
03-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Season starts in earnest today! It can only get better for my team (Islanders) this year.

Stanley Cup Winner? I think the Penguins will do it again!

Another Islander here :thumbsup:

Thought I was the bad luck charm last year :greengrin

PC Stamp
03-10-2009, 11:26 PM
i see no Flames fan here yet,

we beat Vancouver 5-3 in our opener.

In their standard cruising and then take the foot of the gas way thereby inducing the jitters amongst the support again! They need to sort that out!
At 3-0 up at home in the 1st period they should never then be hanging on at 4-3 needing a late empty netter to settle things. That said, the PP & PK look better already. If Coach Sutter can instil a full concentration for 60 minutes ethos then it should be a decent season.

James.
04-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Another Islander here :thumbsup:

Thought I was the bad luck charm last year :greengrin

Promising start last night against the Pens despite the loss - Tavares looked very good as did Okposo, Moulson and Bailey.

Sylar
04-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Terrible 2 days for us.

I can't understand why we never seem to start the season so well!

St Louis look good though...

CalgaryHibs
04-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Flames beat the Oilers to go 2-0 on season first time since 2000-2001.Things are looking good so far, but this is the Flames were talking aboot. Once again the Flames sagged mid through the game been up 3-1 and the Oilers came back. Montreal at home is next ........

PC Stamp
05-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Flames beat the Oilers to go 2-0 on season first time since 2000-2001.Things are looking good so far, but this is the Flames were talking aboot. Once again the Flames sagged mid through the game been up 3-1 and the Oilers came back. Montreal at home is next ........

Aye and Mr Cammaleri will likely be on the prowl. Big game against the Canadiens. 3 from 3 will keep the momentum moving in the right direction.

PS - how nice was it to see Khabibulin make an erse of something against the Flames for once!!!

PC Stamp
07-10-2009, 11:56 PM
3-0-0 start for the Flames. Best start I believe since 1993-94. Another tight 1 goal win but in the past they'd have lost those games and the big difference so far is the PP is working.

60 mins against the Habs and not a single penalty called on Calgary. Good discipline.

jodjam
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm glued to ESPN America these last few days. Used to watch Racers all the time a few years back and played to a bad standard at reccy level but all the coverage on TV at mo is getting the appetite back.

PC Stamp
13-10-2009, 02:47 AM
WTF is the Flames problem with Chicago??? In fact what is the Flames problem period???? 5-0 up against the Blackhawks in the first and yet lose 6-5 in OT.

Oli Jokinen should hang his head in shame at the miscontrolled puck which gave the Blackhawks their winner. Too many overpaid prima donnas there thinking they are the finished article. At 5-0 up they stopped playing and handed the initiative back to Chicago.

As for Brett Sutter's much vaunted defensive strategy .... was it not supposed to reduce the workload on Kiprusoff?? Little evidence of it so far going by the SOG's being given up.

Not good enough by a long way and some ***** should be getting kicked all the way to Columbus! :grr:

CalgaryHibs
15-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Well Cliff it starting show the Flames are really not that good after all, the Chicago game was a slap in the face for all Flames fans. Alot players are not pulling there weight Langkow is the worst oot of the bunch.

Brent Sutter is a defence type coach and i cannae see the defence plan is got them playing. ALL defenceman except Gio and Sarich are minus 4-8 and Kipper is a bum he cannae stop a beach ball.

Lot people here are not to worried but the worring signs are there when the core players are not playing .
Anyway Vancouver is next...................................

jodjam
16-10-2009, 06:49 PM
caught a snippet on TV last night that Fleury is claiming he was sexually abused by an old coach. Can't find anything on net. Lad has had some roller coaster career.

PC Stamp
16-10-2009, 06:56 PM
caught a snippet on TV last night that Fleury is claiming he was sexually abused by an old coach. Can't find anything on net. Lad has had some roller coaster career.

Which should have ended on a much bigger high than it has. He has more talent in his little finger than a good few who made the Flames final cut!

PS - typical Flames Ken .... until they learn to close games out they won't progress. Even the games they've won this season they got lucky!

Hibbie_Cameron
20-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi everyone. Not had a pc for a month and not seen the flames yet either this season. Was keeping up the scores through sky sports and sky text but could not believe the Blackhawks debacle:grr:

Are we looking any better this season or is it a case of same old, same old?

PC Stamp
25-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi everyone. Not had a pc for a month and not seen the flames yet either this season. Was keeping up the scores through sky sports and sky text but could not believe the Blackhawks debacle:grr:

Are we looking any better this season or is it a case of same old, same old?

Other than the cheap goals we've been giving away at times we look OK.
A 7-2-1 record so far is not bad and 5 out of 5 against Division rivals including 3/3 against the Spoilers so far!

The_Todd
26-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Even your granny would know not to do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWc0lIgkmI

Who really picks up and throws a puck? Really? :faf:

CalgaryHibs
15-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Flames are sittin with a record of 12-4-2 have just finished a 3 game trip with 5/6 points.

Aboot 2 weeks back the Flames players got N1H1 flu shots and they have not lost a game since! Iginla has started scoring as well and team defence has improved 100% since the they got there shots?

Maybe coach Sutter should give them another flu shot in May just before the playoffs start?:wink:

PC Stamp
15-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Watched the game against the Leafs Ken. 2 goals up after just 2 minutes and they then seemed again to think that was job done. Were it not for Kiprusoff the Leafs could have been out of sight before the 3rd period when the Flames woke up again.

Giving up 40+ shots to the Leafs when we have a god knows how many million dollars defence isn't good enough! :grr:

They really need to realise that they need to work for 60 mins every game otherwise they'll get their erses bitten on occasions, Chicago 6-5 as an example.

That said, stellar netminding wins games so let's not apologise for having a good 'un! :greengrin

James.
16-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Flames are sittin with a record of 12-4-2 have just finished a 3 game trip with 5/6 points.

Aboot 2 weeks back the Flames players got N1H1 flu shots and they have not lost a game since! Iginla has started scoring as well and team defence has improved 100% since the they got there shots?

Maybe coach Sutter should give them another flu shot in May just before the playoffs start?:wink:

N1H1 flu shots are for wimps. Check out Kyle Okposo, one game out with swine flu and then scores an OT winner the following day against the 'Canes. From Swine to Twine.

Who woulda thought that the Isles were gonna be my one sports team over .500 (damn Mets, Jets and Pacers)

PC Stamp
16-11-2009, 11:38 PM
N1H1 flu shots are for wimps. Check out Kyle Okposo, one game out with swine flu and then scores an OT winner the following day against the 'Canes. From Swine to Twine.

Who woulda thought that the Isles were gonna be my one sports team over .500 (damn Mets, Jets and Pacers)

Swine flu or a wee sniffle more like! :wink:

CalgaryHibs
22-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Flames will be playing 6 of next 7 away from home and started off with 5-2 win in L.A. Iginla with 3 goals, he now up 15 3 behind the leader in goal Dany Heatley SJ.

Up next away to Aniheim home to Phoenix away to Detroit and Columbis. JFlames are 7-1-1 away from home , if we only could the home games going we could be alot higher in the overall standings.

PC Stamp
28-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Flames will be playing 6 of next 7 away from home and started off with 5-2 win in L.A. Iginla with 3 goals, he now up 15 3 behind the leader in goal Dany Heatley SJ.

Up next away to Aniheim home to Phoenix away to Detroit and Columbis. JFlames are 7-1-1 away from home , if we only could the home games going we could be alot higher in the overall standings.

Terrific win in Detroit last night by 3-0. Netminder once again oustanding at one end and clinical at the other when they needed to be.

Just Jimmy
29-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Terrific win in Detroit last night by 3-0. Netminder once again oustanding at one end and clinical at the other when they needed to be.

It was an awesome performance Cliff. Perhaps excusing Broduer, although I'd argue including him, Mika has been the best keeper in the league by a mile. He wins us games full stop.

I've enjoyed watching the Penguins over the last 2 and half seasons but nothing beats a Flames win in the Joe :thumbsup:.

I've still never gotten over loosing to Tampa all those years ago, I'd like another shot at the cup this year please!

PC Stamp
29-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Just wrapped up a 4-3 SO win against Columbus. 2 wins in a row to start the road trip. 1 up to 3-1 down with 5 mins to play and get back to 3-3. Pasted the Bluejackets in the OT period with a Giordano ripper off the post being the nearest to a goal. 4 rounds in the shootout with Lundmark scoring the vital goal. They're still prone to not turning up occasionally but when they do turn up they are hard to beat right now.

Just Jimmy
29-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Just wrapped up a 4-3 SO win against Columbus. 2 wins in a row to start the road trip. 1 up to 3-1 down with 5 mins to play and get back to 3-3. Pasted the Bluejackets in the OT period with a Giordano ripper off the post being the nearest to a goal. 4 rounds in the shootout with Lundmark scoring the vital goal. They're still prone to not turning up occasionally but when they do turn up they are hard to beat right now.

I thought before if we got out 4 and 2 I'd be delighted 3 and 3 would be ok. 2 and 0 is excellent so far :thumbsup:

PC Stamp
01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I thought before if we got out 4 and 2 I'd be delighted 3 and 3 would be ok. 2 and 0 is excellent so far :thumbsup:

Make it 3 and 0 after they thumped the Predators 5-0 in Nashville last night! :thumbsup:

Just Jimmy
01-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Make it 3 and 0 after they thumped the Predators 5-0 in Nashville last night! :thumbsup:

excellent start, worst we can come out of it now is 3 and 3. Keep it coming.

PC Stamp
01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
excellent start, worst we can come out of it now is 3 and 3. Keep it coming.

Remaining three are Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks and LA Kings. Two of those opponents you'd expect them to have a pretty reasonable chance against on most occasions ..... so watch them screw it! :greengrin

GhostofBolivar
02-12-2009, 05:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIZ1B_09vZU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-qV12Ec1zE

GhostofBolivar
02-12-2009, 06:02 AM

Kiprusoff's on pace to play 70 games, not including the Olympics. He's ranked 4th in ice time among goalies.

You'd have hoped they'd have learnt that lesson by now.

PC Stamp
02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Kiprusoff's on pace to play 70 games, not including the Olympics. He's ranked 4th in ice time among goalies.

You'd have hoped they'd have learnt that lesson by now.

Think they will have. With Jamie McLennan now in place as netminding coach, McElhinney will get the attention he needs along with more ice time to vastly improve him as a back up and Kipper will therefore get more time to rest up. That said, the bigger the workload the better Kiprusoff seems to get. :agree:

GhostofBolivar
03-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Think they will have. With Jamie McLennan now in place as netminding coach, McElhinney will get the attention he needs along with more ice time to vastly improve him as a back up and Kipper will therefore get more time to rest up. That said, the bigger the workload the better Kiprusoff seems to get. :agree:

The numbers don't back you up.

2004-05 Played 74; .923 Save %age; 2.07 GAA
2005-06 Played 74; .917 Save %age; 2.46 GAA
2006-07 Played 76; .906 Save %age; 2.69 GAA
2007-08 Played 76; .903 Save %age; 2.84 GAA

Trending much?

The Flames have consistently given him too much work and it's consistently cost them in the playoffs. Last year he went 2-4/.884/3.52. Although, that being said, he's gonna take the Olympics off which should help him come April.

PC Stamp
05-12-2009, 09:00 AM
The numbers don't back you up.

2004-05 Played 74; .923 Save %age; 2.07 GAA
2005-06 Played 74; .917 Save %age; 2.46 GAA
2006-07 Played 76; .906 Save %age; 2.69 GAA
2007-08 Played 76; .903 Save %age; 2.84 GAA

Trending much?

The Flames have consistently given him too much work and it's consistently cost them in the playoffs. Last year he went 2-4/.884/3.52. Although, that being said, he's gonna take the Olympics off which should help him come April.

I don't really go by the stats. I go by what I see. Rarely does Kiprusoff perform poorly and much of the Flames issues over the last few years have been much more attributable to the players in front of him than Kiprusoff IMHO. Would be interesting to see the number of shots he faced to attain those figures. If you say the Flames have given him too much work as in the players in front of him, I agree.

PS - on cue, the Flames managed to screw up against the Coyotes! :wink:

GhostofBolivar
05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Even your granny would know not to do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWc0lIgkmI

Who really picks up and throws a puck? Really? :faf:

A guy who's on the IR with a brain injury?

PC Stamp
06-12-2009, 12:25 PM

Very unfortunate for Booth, however the hit which has now seen him sit out for over a month took place against the Flyers the following evening IIRC and therefore can't be pointed at for this basic aberration as you seem to be inferring?

On a happier note .... nice to see the Flames bounce back by winning 2-1 in the Shark tank after the poor defeat in Phoenix. 4-1-0 on the road trip so far with just the Kings to come.

The_Todd
14-12-2009, 07:02 AM

Up til now I didn't realise he got a brain injury and obviously no offence meant and again, as someone else pointed out, the puck throwing incident took place before his injury - if it was after I'd definitely not have found it funny. As it stands, it's still a particularly amusing incident.

I've since watched the video of the hit resulting in his injury and it's a nasty one, and I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he's icing again soon.

Hibbie_Cameron
20-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Flames lose 9-1

Not very good at all:grr:

PC Stamp
20-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Taking a hammering from most folk in Calgary right now. Big earners, big mouths but no big performances. Reckon there could be a few surprise exits shortly! After a terrific start, Jokinen has turned out to be the biggest misfit ever. Jamie Lundmark would start at centre ahead of him every time for me.
They need a scorer badly. Jokinen should be it but isn't!

Hibbie_Cameron
20-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Taking a hammering from most folk in Calgary right now. Big earners, big mouths but no big performances. Reckon there could be a few surprise exits shortly! After a terrific start, Jokinen has turned out to be the biggest misfit ever. Jamie Lundmark would start at centre ahead of him every time for me.
They need a scorer badly. Jokinen should be it but isn't!

Cliff, i have hardly seen any live games this season due to starting early in the morning and highlights have been rare due to my pc playing up alot.

I knew we shipped goals but i was aghast at losing 9-1. Have we fallen to the depths of the leafs?:wink:

Saw bertuzzi and another ex flame (name escapes, perhaps Borque?) playing last night for Caps v Wings and with Cammy leaving too, do you think its perhaps we let the wrong forwards go?

PC Stamp
20-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Cliff, i have hardly seen any live games this season due to starting early in the morning and highlights have been rare due to my pc playing up alot.

I knew we shipped goals but i was aghast at losing 9-1. Have we fallen to the depths of the leafs?:wink:

Saw bertuzzi and another ex flame (name escapes, perhaps Borque?) playing last night for Caps v Wings and with Cammy leaving too, do you think its perhaps we let the wrong forwards go?

I'd have kept Bertuzzi for sure. That the Red Wings picked him up speaks volumes for his ability still. Cammy was always going to move on as he could command more than the Flames could pay with the salary cap so not much they could do there. Bourque is still at Calgary. The problem is that Iginla & Jokinen just don't seem to fire together. In fact Jokinen doesn't seem to be firing on any line he's played. Add to that Conroy going 37 games without a goal! I'll bet Fleury would have scored a dozen or so in that time but he was never going to get the chance! Jokinen has to be traded this season (though who'd want him I don't know!) otherwise he'll be worth nothing and I wouldn't be averse to seeing such a Regehr and/or Phaneuf follow. For all their defensive quality hype, the number of shots Kipper has to deal with per game is outrageous!

GhostofBolivar
31-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Flames trade Dion Phaneuf to Toronto (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308469)

YouTube - bill and ted woah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT4B-NJUcZE)

PC Stamp
31-01-2010, 11:39 PM
When I said I wouldn't be averse to seeing Phaneuf go, I wasn't expecting it to be in return for 4 journeymen (of whom 2 are UFA's and 1 a RFA) from the worst team in the Eastern Conference and second worst in the league! I'm hoping that Daryl Sutter is planning to use some of these in a bigger deal now that he'll have a bit more salary space to play with but let's just say that amongst 32 pages of comment on the Flames forum site, 99% of it is wondering WTF he's done and why!!

No real prizes for guessing who got the best deal here so far. An allstar defenseman, a solid if unspectacular winger and a top prospect in return for 4 expendables. More evidence that the Sutters may be losing the grip completely!

GhostofBolivar
01-02-2010, 05:28 AM
When I said I wouldn't be averse to seeing Phaneuf go, I wasn't expecting it to be in return for 4 journeymen (of whom 2 are UFA's and 1 a RFA) from the worst team in the Eastern Conference and second worst in the league! I'm hoping that Daryl Sutter is planning to use some of these in a bigger deal now that he'll have a bit more salary space to play with but let's just say that amongst 32 pages of comment on the Flames forum site, 99% of it is wondering WTF he's done and why!!

No real prizes for guessing who got the best deal here so far. An allstar defenseman, a solid if unspectacular winger and a top prospect in return for 4 expendables. More evidence that the Sutters may be losing the grip completely!

You need to read more Flames blogs. Matchsticks and Gasoline are adopting a wait and see attitude. But then, they don't think as highly of Phaneuf as you.

Nik Hagman's a pretty good get. He's got a nice contract for someone who's on pace for 30 goals this year; he's a much better two-way player than his numbers with the Leafs would suggest; he's good on the shootout; and every now and again he scores a ridiculously good goal. Other than being a streaky scorer, there's not much to dislike.

On top of that, his wife's smoking hot. You don't lose much in the puck bunny stakes by trading Elisha Cuthbert for her.

White's improved a huge amount in the past two years. He's been a plus player in Toronto the past two years, for crying out loud. Do you have any idea how hard that is? He has better numbers this year than Phaneuf; plays bigger than he is and is only an RFA - so even if he leaves, you'll still get something for him. He's looking for $3.5m per, which is a lot better for a number 3/4 defenceman than $6m for Phaneuf.

Stajan... Well, I don't like him, but he has his defenders and you can crunch numbers enough to make him look better than I think he is. He's an above average 3rd line centre who can fill in on the top 2 lines when needed. If nothing else, you get to make MAAAATTT STAAAAJAN Team America jokes for the next six months.

Mayers is terrible. Like, epically awful.

Yeah, the Leafs got the best player in the deal, but Phaneuf's skill set is available throughout the Flames blueline guys. He's a guy they could afford to let go in return for help at other positions.

Giguere for Toskala and Blake made me happier than this trade, for the record. I don't care how bad Giguere's been. He can't be worse than that pair.

PC Stamp
01-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Word about that Jokinen may be heading to New York Rangers along with Brandon Prust.
Jokinen started on fire for a couple of months and since then has offered the square root of nothing to justify his big salary. A huge disappointment sadly during his time in red. Now if this one happens, that along with Phaneuf's departure might suggest that something bigger is perhaps in the offing over Calgary way.

GhostofBolivar
01-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Word about that Jokinen may be heading to New York Rangers along with Brandon Prust.
Jokinen started on fire for a couple of months and since then has offered the square root of nothing to justify his big salary. A huge disappointment sadly during his time in red. Now if this one happens, that along with Phaneuf's departure might suggest that something bigger is perhaps in the offing over Calgary way.

I wouldn't trade for Ales Kotalik.

PC Stamp
01-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't trade for Ales Kotalik.

Nor me, but I think most people in Calgary would be quite happy to get shot of Jokinen's big wage for little return in whatever manner presents itself. Looks like he's going to be relegated to the 3rd line tonight against the Flyers.

GhostofBolivar
02-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Nor me, but I think most people in Calgary would be quite happy to get shot of Jokinen's big wage for little return in whatever manner presents itself. Looks like he's going to be relegated to the 3rd line tonight against the Flyers.

Bob McKenzie was reporting that the only hold up to the deal was that the Flames needed Jokinen to fill a roster spot tonight.

You'd only be clearing $1.75m by trading him and the Flames'd still be taking on two more years of Kotalik - who has a similar contract to Nik Hagman, but is much, much worse.

PC Stamp
02-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Bob McKenzie was reporting that the only hold up to the deal was that the Flames needed Jokinen to fill a roster spot tonight.

You'd only be clearing $1.75m by trading him and the Flames'd still be taking on two more years of Kotalik - who has a similar contract to Nik Hagman, but is much, much worse.

I have my doubts that Kotalik will be sticking around for long ... hopefully.

GhostofBolivar
02-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Kotalik has a no-trade clause. He can stay as long as he wants.

PC Stamp
02-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Kotalik has a no-trade clause. He can stay as long as he wants.

I'm sure he can be persuaded to waive it if required. :wink:

GhostofBolivar
03-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Flames lose 3-0, Leafs win 3-0. So far, so good :wink::greengrin:duck: