PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Who ate all the pies?

--------
01-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Who ate all the pies?

If it's been mentioned already, apologies - but did anyone pick up Pat Nevin's spot of one John "Six-Pack" Collins stuffing a Parkhead Pie just before half-time?

Two bites, GONE! Murdo McLeod looked awfy disappointed - I think it was his pie....

But I didn't know that Parkhead Offal Bridies constituted fitness food? :devil:

Jonnyboy
01-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Who ate all the pies?

If it's been mentioned already, apologies - but did anyone pick up Pat Nevin's spot of one John "Six-Pack" Collins stuffing a Parkhead Pie just before half-time?

Two bites, GONE! Murdo McLeod looked awfy disappointed - I think it was his pie....

But I didn't know that Parkhead Offal Bridies constituted fitness food? :devil:

Heard that :greengrin

Also though Collins' take on Riordan was a bit unfair in parts.

Fantic
01-10-2009, 10:25 PM

What did he say?

Westie1875
01-10-2009, 10:25 PM

What did he say?

Burley has been in the papers saying it is his last chance with Scotland and he "hopes the penny has dropped", also think this was uncalled for. All he needed to say was that he selected Derek because of his excellent start to the season, no need for the rest - will set them off on a bad footing straight away.

--------
01-10-2009, 10:32 PM
What did he say?

Burley has been in the papers saying it is his last chance with Scotland and he "hopes the penny has dropped", also think this was uncalled for. All he needed to say was that he selected Derek because of his excellent start to the season, no need for the rest - will set them off on a bad footing straight away.

Burley said THAT?

BURLEY?

:kettle:

Jonnyboy
01-10-2009, 10:34 PM
What did he say?

What did he say?

Can't recall it word for word but he used phrases like "he was a failure at Celtic' and 'the easiest thing for a footballer to do is run around, work hard and support your team mates'

I felt calling him a failure at Celtic was a tad harsh. He hardly got a chance there and the running around comment was hardly worth uttering. Presumably Burley knows what he'll get with Deek and for my money the media (of which JC formed a part tonight given that he's still unemployed after walking out on Hibs) should be talking the squad up rather than focusing on perceived negatives. Burley has picked an exciting squad IMO, certainly leaving out many of the duds that failed to get us qualified for the World Cup :agree:

Westie1875
01-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Burley said THAT?

BURLEY?

:kettle:

Yep, here (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/mowbray-s-influence-clear-as-burley-adds-fox-and-riordan-to-scotland-squad-for-japan-jaunt-1.923445) in the same article that gives Mowbray all the credit for the ex and current Hibs player/s in the squad.

Jonnyboy
01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Yep, here (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/mowbray-s-influence-clear-as-burley-adds-fox-and-riordan-to-scotland-squad-for-japan-jaunt-1.923445) in the same article that gives Mowbray all the credit for the ex and current Hibs player/s in the squad.

Written by Darryl Broadfoot so hardly surprising it's mince - just like the pie JC was scoffing :wink:

--------
01-10-2009, 11:44 PM

At the risk of being accused of revisionism, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, O'Connor, Caldwell and Riordan were all in the Hibs team before Mowbray arrived. Bobby Williamson put them forward.

And Fletcher really only cemented his place in the side after Mowbray had left....

Mowbray had a big influence on them, I'm sure, but I'd have thought that the main credit for those players being as good as they are should rest with the players themselves. And possibly the scouts and youth coaches who discovered them and gave them their initial grounding in the game deserve as much credit as Mowbray for their maturing into fully-fledged senior footballers.

RickyS
02-10-2009, 12:13 AM

Burleys an absolute tool, just pick the best players we have george, its not rocket science. its not your problem to question were he goes on a friday. thats his club managers job, you need to stop acting like some sort of head teacher. you were not bothered about picking BILLY big times, bevvy merchants and serial sha**ers when they happened to play in the Weege. He had the cheek to question Peat's interview when slating Iwuelomo(sp), why not praise him for turning things round? its only his last chance until the SFA have the baws to release you from your duties:grr:

AK86
02-10-2009, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=Westie1875;2194889]What did he say?

Burley has been in the papers saying it is his last chance with Scotland

so what is he saying , that you only get two chances for Scotland?
well stand aside miller,caldwell, maloney,commons, alexander, oh f%%k i could go on forever.........
70+ prem goals and he only has 1 smelly cap against???? Japan??? korea??? and he is going to get another cause nae other can be bothered to go!!!
Burley's a piss heid. Kenny Miller must be gieing him 1 up the the dung pipe to get picked every game.
And this soapdodger fox has strolled into the squad , simply cause he has stopped washing, what about Mulgrew, or Murray............I forkin hate Scotland at times .........:blah::blah::blah::blah:

--------
02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Remind me - who was it gave permission for a group of Scotland players to 'unwind' in the bar after an away game?

And didn't bother to check that they didn't turn it into an all-night boozing session?

Of course THOSE players play for the Gruesome Twosome, right? :bitchy:

silverhibee
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Not only did Burley say this was Riordans last chance with Scotland, but also his last chance with Hibs, who is he to make comments on a club players future.
Burley=:kettle:

MussiHibee
02-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Not only did Burley say this was Riordans last chance with Scotland, but also his last chance with Hibs, who is he to make comments on a club players future.
Burley=:kettle:

The mans a complete twat. The team has lost it's passion we built up under Smith & McLeish.

Who's to say a new manager would not pick Riordan for Scotland??...Erse Piece.

bobbyhibs1983
02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Can't recall it word for word but he used phrases like "he was a failure at Celtic' and 'the easiest thing for a footballer to do is run around, work hard and support your team mates'

Didn't he have a good good scoring record at celtic?
and as the 2nd quote, isn't that what kenny miller does for scotland?
and he gets a game for scotland

basehibby
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I think some of you are talking reactionary keech!

Having read the interview, Burley is basically saying Riordan has to work hard for the team and apply himself consistently - a view I have read many many times on this very forum:

“I think he realises this is probably his last chance, with Scotland and with Hibs, and I hope that the penny has dropped,” said Burley. “There is no doubt about his ability but there have been question marks about his application. He went to Celtic and it never worked out but this season I have seen he is more of a team player. He deserves his opportunity but it is up to him now. He has a chance to get into the squad. As I say, ability wise it is not a problem: you have seen the goals, the free kicks and his contribution to Hibs but it is the other aspects he has to work on."

OK - the last chance saloon stuff is a bit OTT (:kettle:) but the stuff about workrate is basically exactly what has been commented on here 1000 times!
We have all noted an improvement in this aspect of Deek's play under Hughes - evidently so has Burley.
Workrate is obviously important to Burley - and so it should be - it's important for Scotland that EVERYONE works their socks off to compensate for other shortcomings. Remember Burley selected Iwelumo ahead of Boyd because Boyd was being a surly lazy bassa in training? I'm not sure I agreed with that decision but these comments regarding Riordan are at least consistent with his actions over Boyd.
At least Burley is being upfront about his expectations - Deeks will now have no doubt that he has to screw the nut and work his socks off if he's to have a chance of staying in the squad. My guess is that he'll do exactly that and if he sees that this enhanced work ethic is working for him for Scotland then we shall also reap the benefits at Hibs.

Perspective
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Just listened back to John Collins from last night (http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot/) talking about ball-playing centre-backs and he remains a breath of fresh air.

Regarding Burley's comments, some of you really need to take the blinkers off. He WAS a failure at Celtic, there's no getting away from that. Gordon Strachan didn't sign him not to play him. Similarly, George Burley also went out of his way to praise Riordan for his ability and recently improved application on the pitch.

Jonnyboy
02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Just listened back to John Collins from last night (http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot/) talking about ball-playing centre-backs and he remains a breath of fresh air.

Regarding Burley's comments, some of you really need to take the blinkers off. He WAS a failure at Celtic, there's no getting away from that. Gordon Strachan didn't sign him not to play him. Similarly, George Burley also went out of his way to praise Riordan for his ability and recently improved application on the pitch.

Yip he talks a good game right enough. Yet to prove he can walk the walk though :agree:

Re Riordan. You're right, GS didn't buy him not to play him (although the evidence of OF clubs buying players so that rivals couldn't play them is overwhelming) but clearly something went wrong for Derek whilst at Parkhead. Now it's pretty obvious Deek couldn't pick himself to play - that was the managers job - but when he did play he had an impressive goals to games ratio which suggests he was not a failure at all.

Exiled Hibby
02-10-2009, 02:42 PM
IMO when discussing the squad, Burley should have been focusing on the positive of all his selections, not mentioning what he percieves as negatives, past or present.
I think he was trying to make the point Deek "has changed", but really he should just have been telling us what good players, Deek and his other selections are. Its only a couple of weeks since Burley was drinking in the last chance saloon.
That said, I think its a good, young squad and lets hope it gets us somewere. The biggest positive for me was not including the old guys like Alexander, Weir, and, to a lesser extent, Hartley. Dropping Kyle from the squad is also good IMO - He's found his level at Killie but is never international class.
1 or 2 of Dundee Utd's young lads look good prospects and might have been included - here's hoping they take a huffy and have a nightmare tomorrow!!

Westie1875
02-10-2009, 02:49 PM

I don't think anyone has any blinkers on - Burley should have been more careful about what he said instead of coming out with the stuff about last chance saloon etc. As others have said he should be focussing on the positives and nothing else. He says why he picked him and just needed to leave it at that.

When Riordan actually played for Celtic he was still scoring goals which to me does not suggest a failure, it suggests an issue between him and the manager.

Ryan91
02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned already, but could the answer to you're question be Nade? :greengrin

bawheid
02-10-2009, 06:36 PM
At the risk of being accused of revisionism, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, O'Connor, Caldwell and Riordan were all in the Hibs team before Mowbray arrived. Bobby Williamson put them forward.

And Fletcher really only cemented his place in the side after Mowbray had left....

Revisionism. :agree:

Williamson gets little credit IMO. He only played them because he absolutely had to, and even then he wanted to swap two of them for Bobby Mann.

I think the best people to ask would be the players themselves, who have nothing but praise and gratitude for what Mowbray did for their careers.

--------
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't think anyone has any blinkers on - Burley should have been more careful about what he said instead of coming out with the stuff about last chance saloon etc. As others have said he should be focussing on the positives and nothing else. He says why he picked him and just needed to leave it at that.

When Riordan actually played for Celtic he was still scoring goals which to me does not suggest a failure, it suggests an issue between him and the manager.

:agree: Burley can speak for Deek's position regarding the Scotland team, but he has no reason to comment on what's going on between the player and his club team. I very much doubt that he's anywhere near 'last-chance saloon' at ER - John Hughes is a lot too savvy a bloke to sacrifice a major talent like Deek without absolutely unanswerable reasons - and even if he were, it's none of Burley's business, surely?

Given the rumours and stories that go round about Burley, he really shouldn't be passing comments like these about a player he should have recalled to the international squad a year ago.

The Voice Of Reason
02-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Williamson gets little credit IMO. He only played them because he absolutely had to, and even then he wanted to swap two of them for Bobby Mann.

I think the best people to ask would be the players themselves, who have nothing but praise and gratitude for what Mowbray did for their careers.

:agree: :top marks

--------
02-10-2009, 07:06 PM

I sometimes think that Williamson gets too little credit, when one considers the financial constraints unbder which he was working.

I don't think Williamson was as bad, or Mowbray as good, as some would argue.

FWIW, I agree that Brebner had to be punted - his behaviour was clearly unacceptable, and he was unwilling to accept the help the club was offering him. I still wonder about McManus, though.

The Voice Of Reason
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I sometimes think that Williamson gets too little credit, when one considers the financial constraints unbder which he was working.

I don't think Williamson was as bad, or Mowbray as good, as some would argue.

FWIW, I agree that Brebner had to be punted - his behaviour was clearly unacceptable, and he was unwilling to accept the help the club was offering him. I still wonder about McManus, though.

I know that the players absoloutely loved playing for TM. He revolutionised a lot of things at the club - the training, players mindsets (positive thinking) etc.

Although John Collins was not a great man manager (understatement of the year), his cause was not helped by the fact he had to follow someone who was as highly regarded by the players as TM.

IMHO TM was a really good manager and a great man. :agree:

RickyS
02-10-2009, 11:38 PM
I know that the players absoloutely loved playing for TM. He revolutionised a lot of things at the club - the training, players mindsets (positive thinking) etc.

Although John Collins was not a great man manager (understatement of the year), his cause was not helped by the fact he had to follow someone who was as highly regarded by the players as TM.

up until that shameless "stunt" at ER a few weeks ago, I could not have agreed more but now.....well he is just another soap dodging bassa

--------
03-10-2009, 12:57 PM

I would agree - up to a point.

A good manager (the jury's out about the 'really' bit, IMO) and I've no doubt he's a man.

But great?

Ghandi was a great man.

Martin Luther King was a great man.

Jean-Paul Sartre and Wittgenstein were great men.

Shakespeare and Goethe were great men.

Mowbray?

GREAT?

Don't think so.

The Voice Of Reason
03-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I would agree - up to a point.

A good manager (the jury's out about the 'really' bit, IMO) and I've no doubt he's a man.

But great?

Ghandi was a great man.

Martin Luther King was a great man.

Jean-Paul Sartre and Wittgenstein were great men.

Shakespeare and Goethe were great men.

Mowbray?

GREAT?

Don't think so.

Well when you put it that way.......:wink:

--------
03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I don't think any of our managers since the days of the Famous Five can really be considered GREAT. Most didn't stay around long enough, and those who did all have question-marks against them.

It's just that Williamson had the team through a period when we were to all intents and purposes in self-inflicted administration - he had to punt all the big earners (aka the better players), he had severe restrictions on who he could sign, and some players he couldn't select even while they were still at ER because of appearance money and bonus schemes.

Don't get me wrong - I was relieved when he left and wouldn't take him back, and Mowbray certainly got the team playing a much superior brand of football. But there's a sense in which the very things that appear to be problems for Mowbray - the small squad he had to work with, the youth of the players, the way things had been right before he came - all worked to his advantage. And the really nasty stuff - the big clear-out - had already been done for him by Bad Cop Williamson, freeing him up to play Good Cop and win everyone's plaudits and affection.

His crass behaviour at ER at the Celtic game annoyed me - the week earlier I had been at Falkirk, where Yogi was in exactly the same situation as Mowbray was at ER. Yogi conducted himself there in a mature and courteous manner - said and did the right things, avoided saying and doing the wrong things. Then Mowbray arrives at ER and behaves as if he owns the place.

So probably I'm looking at him in a jaundiced light right now, but nothing he's said or done since the ER game has given me any reason to change my opinion of him. I noticed on Thursday evening that he's getting into the way of naming names when he talks about errors and mistakes. That won't go down too well with the players named, and the fans won't put up with it too long either.

If he can't win the SPL this season, the state Rangers and the rest of us are in, he should look for another career.

He could always go on 'Mock The Week' with dear old 'Hoops' fan Frankie Bhoyle.... :wink: