PDA

View Full Version : NHC Mogga

Hibtastic
01-10-2009, 10:13 PM
When did TM become so miserable? Everytime I see him on the telly or listen to him talking he just sounds utterly bored. Thats Glasgow for you I suppose!

Leithenhibby
01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I think he looks stressed tae the max, he's out his depth me thinks :wink:
If he doesn't deliver some good euro results soon, he will be in line for the boo-boy treatment. I hope :devil:

--------
01-10-2009, 10:21 PM
When did TM become so miserable? Everytime I see him on the telly or listen to him talking he just sounds utterly bored. Thats Glasgow for you I suppose!

He isn't enjoying the same adulation he enjoyed at ER, I believe.

And he also has to look at Peter Grant's monumentally ugly phizzog in the dug-out - right up close.

Jonnyboy
01-10-2009, 10:24 PM
It occurs to me that maybe St. Tony wasn't all that at ER after all. He was blessed with a team of very talented players and that certainly helped him in his 'passing' philosophy.

Didn't set the heather on fire at WBA and arguably gained promotion due to the bottle crash of rival teams.

Is not winning over the Cetc faithful and has fallen out with at least one of his players whilst almost touting others for sale!

Perhaps he's human after all :wink:

--------
01-10-2009, 11:09 PM
It occurs to me that maybe St. Tony wasn't all that at ER after all. He was blessed with a team of very talented players and that certainly helped him in his 'passing' philosophy.

Didn't set the heather on fire at WBA and arguably gained promotion due to the bottle crash of rival teams.

Is not winning over the Cetc faithful and has fallen out with at least one of his players whilst almost touting others for sale!

:agree: He had a small pool of players, but a much more talented squad than Yogi inherited, I think.

Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, Murray, Caldwell, O'Connor, Riordan, Glass, Brebner, McManus all had something to offer. Add Boozy and Murphy, and you have the makings of a more than tidy team there.

Brebner and McManus got punted, I know, but even at the time I wondered about that - I mean, a manager's job is to manage players, right? Like Yogi's managing Deek and Stokesy - not binning them because they're BAAAAD BOOOOYS, but working with them t get the best from them and for them.

But i do understand that there is a certain undertow of dissatisfaction among one group of the Celtic players right now.

jacomo
01-10-2009, 11:15 PM
:agree: He had a small pool of players, but a much more talented squad than Yogi inherited, I think.

Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, Murray, Caldwell, O'Connor, Riordan, Glass, Brebner, McManus all had something to offer. Add Boozy and Murphy, and you have the makings of a more than tidy team there.

Brebner and McManus got punted, I know, but even at the time I wondered about that - I mean, a manager's job is to manage players, right? Like Yogi's managing Deek and Stokesy - not binning them because they're BAAAAD BOOOOYS, but working with them t get the best from them and for them.

But i do understand that there is a certain undertow of dissatisfaction among one group of the Celtic players right now.

Blimey, Hibs.net revisionism is alive and well, I see. :wink:

jakki
01-10-2009, 11:27 PM
I put it all down to the clothes he wears. When did he ever wear that a sports top being interviewed with Hibs. I cannot think of a time that he was interviewed not wearing a suit.

Lower your own standards and the team standards are lower too :wink:

--------
01-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Blimey, Hibs.net revisionism is alive and well, I see. :wink:

Sorry? Whittaker, Brown, Murray, Caldwell, Thomson, Riordan and O'Connor just about make up the core of the present Scotland squad. The only players at ER near that quality at the end of last season were - guess who? - Murray and Riordan.

Brebner made it pretty well impossible for Hibs to retain him - I have no real complaint aboput Mowbray potting him - but I did think Tam might have been retained even for a season - we weren't all that well off for attacking midfielders at the time, IIRC.

That Thomson was injured when Mowbray arrived and only came back into the team the following season is also true. But the core of the team was there when he came. Same as the core of the Tornados being in place when Ned T arrived, IIRC.

rightwinger
02-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm hardly an OF admirer but I normally tend to prefer one over the other. With Rangers' style of play in the last couple years, I've rooted for Celtic in crunch clashes.

Even though I wasn't a fan of Strachan, I took an interest in seeing how long he could hang in and frustrate the 'purists' who wanted him out.

When Mowbray took over I thought that I may gain a new found respect for Celtic - at least from the way they played and their manager.

It hasn't happened though. The performance and silly huddle at Easter Road in August didn't help and Mowbray isn't coming over as the genuine, humble, and respectable figure I remember. He seems weary and mildly agitated already. He seems under pressure.

As much as I can't be bothered with Rangers, I haven't a clue who to root for (correction - who I want to lose more) on Sunday.

I suppose if we win tomorrow then there'll be a positive in any outcome.

erskine-hibby
02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
He's at celtic, silly question.:agree:

dangermouse
02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm hardly an OF admirer but I normally tend to prefer one over the other. With Rangers' style of play in the last couple years, I've rooted for Celtic in crunch clashes.

Even though I wasn't a fan of Strachan, I took an interest in seeing how long he could hang in and frustrate the 'purists' who wanted him out.

When Mowbray took over I thought that I may gain a new found respect for Celtic - at least from the way they played and their manager.

It hasn't happened though. The performance and silly huddle at Easter Road in August didn't help and Mowbray isn't coming over as the genuine, humble, and respectable figure I remember. He seems weary and mildly agitated already. He seems under pressure.

As much as I can't be bothered with Rangers, I haven't a clue who to root for (correction - who I want to lose more) on Sunday.

Hibernian 3 United 0
Rangers 1 Celtc 0

We are 2nd on goal difference and only 1 point behind the soap dodgers :thumbsup:

--------
02-10-2009, 09:45 AM

I'd like a win for us and a messy, nasty, card-strewn (lotsa red) draw for them - maybe one or two ex-Hibs on the treatment table afterwards? :cool2:

Asking too much, though. Just PLEASE a win for us. :agree:

erskine-hibby
02-10-2009, 09:48 AM

That'll do me, I couldn't give a hoot about what they do:agree:

Steve20
02-10-2009, 09:57 AM
He might be a bit happier on Sunday after they beat Rangers, which they will do.

Stevie Reid
02-10-2009, 09:58 AM
It's easy to forget that Gordon Strachan's interviews used to be comedy gold until he became Celtic manager - he then turned into a miserable, irritable little *****.

TM seems to have been similarly struck with a depression which seems to go hand in hand with that job.

erskine-hibby
02-10-2009, 09:59 AM
He might be a bit happier on Sunday after they beat Rangers, which they will do.

And if they do I wonder if they will do the after match huddle:greengrin

jacomo
02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Sorry? Whittaker, Brown, Murray, Caldwell, Thomson, Riordan and O'Connor just about make up the core of the present Scotland squad. The only players at ER near that quality at the end of last season were - guess who? - Murray and Riordan.

Brebner made it pretty well impossible for Hibs to retain him - I have no real complaint aboput Mowbray potting him - but I did think Tam might have been retained even for a season - we weren't all that well off for attacking midfielders at the time, IIRC.

That Thomson was injured when Mowbray arrived and only came back into the team the following season is also true. But the core of the team was there when he came. Same as the core of the Tornados being in place when Ned T arrived, IIRC.

I had no issue with the rest of your post, just the bit I highlighted - questioning Mowbray for emptying Brebner and McManus.

There really is little point in going over these arguments again, but it's a fact that all managers like to bring their own people in when they start a new job - just as Yogi has done. No one really missed these two players at the time, partly because Beuzelin, Shiels and others made an immediate impression.

hibs1875aye
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM

He is human. He made mistakes at ER as you say. He's turned into the stereotypical moaning faced west coast manager and his complete lack of respect for Hibs with their stupid huddle proves how a perfectly reasonable and (on the whole) likeable man who I feel DID have faults and was NO saint, can turn into a complete tit.

Simple really; his true colours (as he always said whilst here by the way) were shown when it come down to it. There was a large portion of our support willing to applaud him that day, Im just glad I wasnt one of them as he turned his back on Hibs in every way and gave us the big "**** you".

Tony Mowbray is employed by celtic. Celtic, along with the rest are the enemy. I wish them both as much failure and misery on the footballing pitch as can be achieved...and rangers, and hearts, and everyone else who isnt Hibs.:agree:

Franck is God
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Agree.

At Hibs St Tony had the added benefit of following Blobby as our manager and no expectations placed on him at all.

I was a big fan of what TM tried to do at ER. He took largely the same squad and got them playing proper football with only a few (what turned out to be) quality additions to the squad.

On the negative side when it didn't work we were dire to watch, I was at his last match away to St Mirren and it was one of the worst games I've ever been to, his away record overall was awful and he did jump ship a bit when he saw it all coming apart after preaching loyalty to his players.

His time at West Brom followed quite a similar path.

3pm
02-10-2009, 11:57 AM
He's not had a lot of money to put his own mark on them. In time, I am sure they'll (unfortuantely) improve. However, the biggest problem now - in my opinion - is that he is now expected to win every time....no excuses.

bawheid
02-10-2009, 11:59 AM
It always gives me a chuckle when folk try and talk down Mowbray's time at Hibs.

When he joined the club we were on our knees. Attendances of 7,000 at ER, dull football under Williamson, a Stand up and be Counted camapign that wasn't working, £17m in debt and seemingly no way out other than to sell up and move to Straiton. Things were serious.

One "lucky" appointment later and crowds are up at 13,000, Hibs are battering Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox (twice), consistantly getting to (and losing) cup semi-finals, and qualifying for the UEFA Cup.

Here's a thought? It wasn't luck; he's actually a good manager who made some quality signings and improved every young player at the club.

To question the decision to get rid of Brebner and McManus beggars belief! Continual under-achievers for Hibs who spent more time in strip clubs or the bookies than working to improve the club. It's little wonder Mowbray wanted rid when he had a nucleus of teenagers to try and nurture. They were replaced with Boozy and Shiels...and this was the wrong decision? Has either player's career gone upwards since they were bombed out?

Sure he made some mistakes, there were some humpings at Tynie, he didn't deal with the Riordan situation perfectly....but overall, he did far more good than bad for Hibs. I shudder to think where we might be now had Alan Kernaghan been appointed instead...

BryanV
02-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Mowbray took over a Hibs team with potential but he must receive a large part of the credit for developing that potential. The manner in which Mowbray allowed the players to express themselves contributed greatly to their development as players. Added to that the real quality that Mowbray brought in for nothing, the stand out example being Murphy the best full back/defender I have see at Hibs. That said I dislike his interviews now, such a shame as he always spoke very intelligently and positively in the past.

Tam McManus, as a stick to beat Mowbray with :confused:

Hibercelona
02-10-2009, 12:12 PM
It always gives me a chuckle when folk try and talk down Mowbray's time at Hibs.

When he joined the club we were on our knees. Attendances of 7,000 at ER, dull football under Williamson, a Stand up and be Counted camapign that wasn't working, £17m in debt and seemingly no way out other than to sell up and move to Straiton. Things were serious.

One "lucky" appointment later and crowds are up at 13,000, Hibs are battering Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox (twice), consistantly getting to (and losing) cup semi-finals, and qualifying for the UEFA Cup.

Here's a thought? It wasn't luck; he's actually a good manager who made some quality signings and improved every young player at the club.

To question the decision to get rid of Brebner and McManus beggars belief! Continual under-achievers for Hibs who spent more time in strip clubs or the bookies than working to improve the club. It's little wonder Mowbray wanted rid when he had a nucleus of teenagers to try and nurture. They were replaced with Boozy and Shiels...and this was the wrong decision? Has either player's career gone upwards since they were bombed out?

Sure he made some mistakes, there were some humpings at Tynie, he didn't deal with the Riordan situation perfectly....but overall, he did far more good than bad for Hibs. I shudder to think where we might be now had Alan Kernaghan been appointed instead...

:agree: :top marks

Once he gets launched from the smellies...

I'd take him back at Hibs (as an assistant) in a heartbeat. :cool2:

Jonnyboy
02-10-2009, 12:12 PM

I did say maybe :wink: :greengrin

bawheid
02-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I did say maybe :wink: :greengrin

You did. :agree:

Not everyone does... :wink:

bigwheel
02-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Completely Agree with this post. It also makes me smile when I see negative posts around Mowbray. He is without question the best manager since Turnbull. There are many managers who have decent players but don't deliver. It was the style of football, not simply decent players that made that team excel. Some of the performances were as good as we'll see. To me Mowbray, is up there with the best....an outstanding character to have assocciated with this club. Good Luck to him ....

Speedway
02-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Completely Agree with this post. It also makes me smile when I see negative posts around Mowbray. He is without question the best manager since Turnbull. There are many managers who have decent players but don't deliver. It was the style of football, not simply decent players that made that team excel. Some of the performances were as good as we'll see. To me Mowbray, is up there with the best....an outstanding character to have assocciated with this club. Good Luck to him ....

Best manager is normally measured in terms of Silverware, which promotes Miller and Collins to 'joint best Hibs manager' since Turnbull.

Jonnyboy
02-10-2009, 01:00 PM
You did. :agree:

Not everyone does... :wink:

:greengrin

It's all hypothetical I know but how do you reckon Tony would have gotten on if he'd arrived to manage the club instead of Mixu? In other words, how would Hibs have done with the group of players Mixu inherited but with Tony as manager?

FWIW I agree that Mowbray was a breath of fresh air at HFC but I'm not sure he deserves all the credit for the 'upward spiral' - I feel that his efforts need to be married together with those of Colin McNeil in terms of getting crowds back through the turnstiles :agree:

Baader
02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
I've nothing but complete respect and goodwill for Tony Mowbray. I just wish he were managing somewhere else! He was fantastic for Hibs - brought a feelgood feeling back to the club. He did inherit a decent crop but look at some of his signings - Murphy, Boozy, Shiels, Ivan, Killen, Jones - all good (great in the case of Murph) signings for Hibs. The only thing he failed in was judging a goalkeeper.

Don't like to see him at Parkhead but of course he will have a huge affection for Celtic. Hope he returns to English football soon so I can take an interest in the club he's managing...

bigwheel
02-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Best manager is normally measured in terms of Silverware, which promotes Miller and Collins to 'joint best Hibs manager' since Turnbull.

Ha, That one dimensional thinking is usually only reserved for the daily record.......I would like to think that the quality of a manager is judged more on how they develop the individuals and team rather than only on the cups they win.

brydekirk
02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
mowbray did a good job at hibs as did mcleish. both managed to secure a move just as there sqauds were going into decline. :agree:

heretoday
02-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Should have gone to Newcastle.

hibsdaft
02-10-2009, 03:35 PM

yup :agree:

KeithTheHibby
02-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Don't normally disagree with you JB however another slant is to say that TM was successful at ER and the Hawthorns - the championship is a helluva league to get out of and given how crap we were when he took over it was nothing short of amazing to finish third in his first season.

He is now finding out that he is in a job whereby you are damned if you do and damned if you don't - plus the fans are knobs in general and blinkered beyond imagination.

ancient hibee
02-10-2009, 05:46 PM
I think he is a good manager but like them all he has some fixed ideas e.g.at WBA he would not sort the centre half problem and now he persists in playing McGeady on the right where he looks uncomfortable.His biggest problem is that he does not have a midfielder who can run a game at last night's level.

Danderhall Hibs
02-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Is that why Hearts fans will ultimately always hold a place in their hearts for Graham Rix and Ivankanas?

bawheid
02-10-2009, 06:24 PM
:greengrin

It's all hypothetical I know but how do you reckon Tony would have gotten on if he'd arrived to manage the club instead of Mixu? In other words, how would Hibs have done with the group of players Mixu inherited but with Tony as manager?

FWIW I agree that Mowbray was a breath of fresh air at HFC but I'm not sure he deserves all the credit for the 'upward spiral' - I feel that his efforts need to be married together with those of Colin McNeil in terms of getting crowds back through the turnstiles :agree:

It's very difficult to say how Mowbray would have got on in Mixu's place. Mowbray himself raised expectations at the club. The fans were not willing to accept the kind of dross served up by Mixu's sides. Dross was, of course, served up by Miller (for periods) and Williamson (mostly); but having seen the impact good football has on attendances, the Hibs board are now more in tune with what the fans want. This is again thanks to Mowbray.

I'd like to think that if Mowbray took over from Mixu, he would have had much the same impact as he did. There were good young players at the club, and there was now more money to spend (again partly thanks to Mowbray IMO). He would also have set us up as a football team.

I agree that Mowbray can't take all the credit for the upward spiral. Credit also has to go to Petrie for appointing him, those involved with the youth academy for the talent at his disposal, John Park for scouting some excellent signings, and McNeill for marketing the whole thing almost to perfection.

Ultimately, those years are some of my favourite as a Hibs fan, and no matter how bitter and twisted Mowbray is made by the Celtic job (it happens to them all), I'll always appreciate his time at Hibs.

Jonnyboy
02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
It's very difficult to say how Mowbray would have got on in Mixu's place. Mowbray himself raised expectations at the club. The fans were not willing to accept the kind of dross served up by Mixu's sides. Dross was, of course, served up by Miller (for periods) and Williamson (mostly); but having seen the impact good football has on attendances, the Hibs board are now more in tune with what the fans want. This is again thanks to Mowbray.

I'd like to think that if Mowbray took over from Mixu, he would have had much the same impact as he did. There were good young players at the club, and there was now more money to spend (again partly thanks to Mowbray IMO). He would also have set us up as a football team.

I agree that Mowbray can't take all the credit for the upward spiral. Credit also has to go to Petrie for appointing him, those involved with the youth academy for the talent at his disposal, John Park for scouting some excellent signings, and McNeill for marketing the whole thing almost to perfection.

Ultimately, those years are some of my favourite as a Hibs fan, and no matter how bitter and twisted Mowbray is made by the Celtic job (it happens to them all), I'll always appreciate his time at Hibs.

Amen to that brother :agree: :greengrin

VegasHibby
03-10-2009, 02:16 AM
I think he looks stressed tae the max, he's out his depth me thinks :wink:
If he doesn't deliver some good euro results soon, he will be in line for the boo-boy treatment. I hope :devil:

Definitely stressed. He's only got one thing on his mind 'we better be Rangers'
I think Celtic will beat them 3-1. Hibs to beat Utd 4-2.

matty_f
03-10-2009, 07:07 AM

Spot on, Bawheid.

FWIW, I think Mowbray worked so well at Hibs because he was so refreshing and completely different to Blobby. He inherited a squad of players young enough not to have a career's worth of habits and 'I know better' attitudes.

In that sense, the inexperience of the playing pool at Hibs made life easy for Mowbray.

When he went to WBA he had to overcome a section of players that thought they knew better. I suspect he's getting the same sort of reaction from a fair few at Celtc.

IMHO, Celtc will walk the league this season - they'll easy be 20 points ahead of third, and probably a good few points ahead of second. If they win the OF match on Sunday they go 7 (IIRC) points clear of the Huns before the first round of fixtures have even past.

He's a good manager, and if he gets it right at Celtc, they will be untouchable for some time domestically IMHO.

Richard Scott
04-10-2009, 04:04 PM
He IS miserable of late. This pic proves it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8289601.stm

:bye:

nonshinyfinish
04-10-2009, 04:11 PM

For the last f***ing time, it was Mowbray's tean that won the CIS! :grr:

:wink:

hibs1875aye
05-10-2009, 12:12 PM

:confused:
Miracle of modern times; "his team" won the cup final when he WASNT there to pick the team/formation/etc yet failed every year when he WAS :wink:

Joe Baker II
05-10-2009, 04:52 PM

This may be harsh on Collins but regardless of who ultimately was responsible for the league cup win, Mowbray in the opinion of many was Hibs best maanger since Stein which is what matters.

vincipernoi
05-10-2009, 09:52 PM
also brought in zemmama (and benji) from nowhere

lEXO
05-10-2009, 09:58 PM

:top marksHow quickly some forget.

Jim44
06-10-2009, 11:33 AM
He IS miserable of late. This pic proves it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8289601.stm

:bye:

He's always been a miserable looking sod. His face would crack if he smiled.

Richard Scott
06-10-2009, 01:01 PM
He's always been a miserable looking sod. His face would crack if he smiled.

I'd be miserable too, being employed by that mob :agree:

Crazyhorse
06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I'd be miserable too, being employed by that mob :agree:

I remember thinking this isn't gonna work when he was first recruited but Petrie got that one right and Hibs were excellent at times when he was manager. Not a patch on the McCleish team in it's pomp though. A big part of being a football supporter is enjoying the failure of others (maybe to a rather unhealthy degree at times). Obviously this applies to your rivals but I also never really want anyone to succeed if after they leave Hibs they show the slightest disrespect to my club.

yekimevol
07-10-2009, 08:36 AM
because the realisation that he did not move to a better team has hit him the only thing better about celtic than a championship team is their stadium

BryanV
07-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Not a patch on the McCleish team in it's pomp though.

Do you really think that? The McLeish team, although responsible for the finest game I ever saw, was essentially Sauzee and Latapy with a number of decent pros playing above themselves for half a season. Mowbray's teams had quality throughout. Mowbray's teams comprehensively outplayed the Old Firm on several occasions. That said we did take several hammerings under Mowbray, by fairly ordinary sides.

1875 NO 1
07-10-2009, 10:39 AM

from what Im told he isnt the same guy that managed at Hibs..........hez chucked it